Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

oceanclub wrote: »
    My original purchase price on Amazon was €27. :(

P.
    Me too. It's so frustrating. And now, since they've gone and said it will work, you cant go and reorder it. someone else has snapped it up. Ugh. Suppose I'll just keep my Gamestop order then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd been ignoring all the news and hype and things for this and now I realise it's out this week.

What are brinks an mortar offering for pre orders does anyone know? Don't recall seeing any promotion for it in game stop or HMV.

Just after refreshing the Amazon page for the Augmented Edition and have now reordered it, at £24.99. Cancelled my Gamestop order while I was at it too. Oceanclub, I suggest you refresh it every so often to see if you can reorder it like I did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    I'd been ignoring all the news and hype and things for this and now I realise it's out this week.

What are brinks an mortar offering for pre orders does anyone know? Don't recall seeing any promotion for it in game stop or HMV.

its out tomorrow week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

its out tomorrow week

Awwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Still better than telling me it's not out until next month :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Still better than telling me it's not out until next month :)

indeed :) sure its only 7 days anyway,anyone else getting it for the ps3?or am I the only one :-|?

For those that fear that the region locking could still be in effect, despite what the retailers tell you, here's an Eidos Rep from the forums telling you that they wont be using the region lock after all.
    Region-locking plan UPDATE
    We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.
    Now let it be the end of that, hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Play.com appears to have confirmed my re-order. That's a relief. They still haven't replied to my question about the region lock, but sod it, I just want the bloody game. It would be an added bonus to never hear from square enix again, but I'll settle for getting what I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dont understand why anyone uses Play.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

At the time I ordered it was the only place I could find what I wanted at anything close to a reasonable price. I doubt I'll be going near them in future.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Dont understand why anyone uses Play.com

Their fine for everything except games. It took them three weeks to send me GT5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems the reason not to region lock the game was because of all the complaints that the EU commision recieved. Turns out that what they were trying to do was totally against EU anti-competition law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seems the reason not to region lock the game was because of all the complaints that the EU commision recieved. Turns out that what they were trying to do was totally against EU anti-competition law.

Hurray for the EU! Not something Irish people say often...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Curious - where did you hear that? Glad to know that tactic worked if so!

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Curious - where did you hear that? Glad to know that tactic worked if so!

P.
    Would love to know that myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well can't confirm it but seems they changed their mind when this sort of stuff was brought up:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1650145&postcount=359

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Well can't confirm it but seems they changed their mind when this sort of stuff was brought up:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1650145&postcount=359

That the only appear to have unlocked unlocked for the UK / Europe would strongly suggest this to be the case.

EDIT Nevermind I see the US and AUS is included as well. Only Square Enix could make a clarification message confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ok so this is up for pre-order on Steam, 10% done so far :D

And if you pre-order on Steam you get the completely original idea of a bunch of hats and weapons for Team Fortress 2.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

And if you pre-order on Steam you get the completely original idea of a bunch of hats and weapons for Team Fortress 2.
    You end up paying up €15 more than anywhere else just for the privilege of buying via Steam. You can get it off Amazon for slightly over €30. Why anyone would buy it through Steam is a complete and utter mystery to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

My God, Team Fortress 2 must look completely ridiculous online.

I'm downloading DE:HR from Steam, if I use an American VPN can I unlock the game 3 days earlier?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    My God, Team Fortress 2 must look completely ridiculous online.

I'm downloading DE:HR from Steam, if I use an American VPN can I unlock the game 3 days earlier?
    You can get yourself banned if caught doing that. Fancy losing your Steam account for the sake of 3 day's worth of a headstart?

The idea of Deus Ex weapons in TF2 does intrigue me though.

You end up paying up €15 more than anywhere else just for the privilege of buying via Steam. You can get it off Amazon for slightly over €30. Why anyone would buy it through Steam is a complete and utter mystery to me.

Good thing I won it and paid €0 :D .

Agree with ya though, €50 for the pleasure of downloading it from Steam or €30 for a box copy.....tough bloody call :rolleyes:

Good thing I won it and paid €0 :D .

Agree with ya though, €50 for the pleasure of downloading it from Steam or €30 for a box copy.....tough bloody call :rolleyes:
    Ah, that makes you actions a lot more reasonable! Who was giving it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

You can get yourself banned if caught doing that. Fancy losing your Steam account for the sake of 3 day's worth of a headstart?

The idea of Deus Ex weapons in TF2 does intrigue me though.

Hmm, I'm in China so I don't have a lot of choice most of the time re: using a VPN. But yeah, not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Free Team Fortress 2 weapons for the Steam version. Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Good thing I'm in Korea, got for 45US$, which works out at just over 31 euro. Plus, Steam is the only place I can get English games legally anyway.

RockPaperShotgun have posted a story about all this region locking stuff.
    Should make for an interesting read
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/19/region-locking-we-talk-to-a-lawyer/
    Here's the text for those that cant access the link for whatever reason.
    On Wednesday, we reported that Square-Enix had decided to region lock the physical PC release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, within Europe. Then yesterday, they issued a statement saying that they had decided not to go ahead with the region locking. But what does it all mean? We knew that we didn’t like region locking and other artificial barriers between gamers and their games, but we hadn’t got a clue about the legalities of them. Luckily we know a man who does. Games lawyer Jas Purewal took time out of his busy day games-lawyering to give us his appraisal of the legal lay of the land with regard to region locking of the stuff that you buy. Here’s his expert opinion: RPS: Square Enix had initially planned to region lock the physical PC release of Deus Ex Human Revolution within the EU. Lots of questions were asked about the whether this would have been in breach of EU trade law, what’s your take on that?
    Purewal: Geographical locking of content in any format (e.g. DVD or digital) is legally uncertain at best. On the one hand, the publisher could potentially have a variety of legitimate reasons for wanting to geographically lock content, such as local classification/ratings laws (e.g. which could require different versions of a game or DVD for different countries) or for anti-piracy. On the other hand, imposing a geographical lock purely for commercial gain (i.e. to maintain artificial price differentials in different countries) remains controversial and could potentially fall foul of competition laws. However, to my knowledge this has not yet been tested in any of the major markets including the US or the EU, hence the legal uncertainty.
    As far as Deus Ex Human Revolution is concerned, if the region lock had gone ahead then the legal test would have focused on the exact reasons why it had been put in place.
    RPS: What kind of consequences could a publisher found guilty of region locking for commercial gain face?
    Purewal: If a publisher was found to have engaged in anti-competitive activity (for example, by illegal price fixing) the consequences would vary from country to country and would depend on the seriousness of the activity. Generally though, it could mean: substantial fines, consumer lawsuits, bans on similar activities in the future or, in extreme cases, potentially even criminal investigation in some countries.
    RPS: In the future, what course of action would you suggest to gamers wanting to import games from within the EU, but are confronted with region locking?
    Unfortunately in practice there aren’t many legal options for gamers who want to play region-locked imported games (a hack or other workaround is an option but that clearly would be illegal). Gamers can of course still register their dissatisfaction in a range of ways, from contacting the publisher/digital distribution platform to just not buying the game or even (in the worst case scenario) contacting their local consumer protection body.
    RPS: Would workarounds really be illegal? Some people had plans to use a VPN to spoof a UK IP address to be able to activate UK imported copies of Deus Ex…
    Purewal: Tech workarounds, however well intentioned, can themselves cause legal issues worse than the one you are trying to avoid in the first place. For example, spoofing an IP address could cause legal difficulties with your ISP, the games publisher and potentially others involved in the game (e.g. Steam or other digital distribution platforms). So as a matter of law tech workarounds carry real risks, although clearly different people will have different views as to how important that really is to them.
    RPS: Thanks for your time

Ah, that makes you actions a lot more reasonable! Who was giving it away?

Won it in the Steam sweepstakes last November, the "win the top 5 games on yer wishlist" one.

TF2 weapons are ok, sniper rifle seems nice (no unscoped shooting, +15% damage on a full charged shot, has a tracer shot, charged shots penetrate players). Engineer shotgun is mad, has no ammo or reloading, but burns metal for ammo, and it refunds the cost of a shot if it hits :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Is this going to be single player only??

Advertisement