Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Haha, I never realised how awful it was playing it.
    "You have a funny way of talking... Pierre"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Absolutely impossible to tell what the game itself will be like based on that trailer, but if nothing else from this & the previous concept art, I am loving the art-style. The technology and design direction is very captivating - apparently the cue taken was the Renaissance period of European history which you really see in the architecture & clothing. The music in the trailer was quite apt too, a nice mix of the original Deus Ex music.

My only real concerns about the game are:
    1. Is it going to be as open as Deus Ex 1 - despite being linear there were so many ways to approach problems in this game. Talking your way out of / into a problem was such fun, I'd hate it the "choice" was reduced to a generic & signposted A / B scenario
    2. I also loved just wandering the different cities and finding quests / sub-plots to get involved with; again I hope this won't disappear.
    3. Sorta the same as #1, I have an awful feeling that in an attempt to appeal to the CoD-junkies and bloodhounds that Eidos will make this too combat heavy. Lord only knows the trailer was full of fightin' & so I'd hate if again the developers made levels ala the new Splinter Cell, where yes you could try sneaking your way along but really you have to shoot your way through.
    4. I hope they don't p*ss all over or contradict the originals storyline. I imagine it's a given that a Denton cameo might be forthcoming, but I hope this game at least segues nicely into the first game.

I'm genuinely excited about this game and just on a visual and audio level it has my interest and attention. But I don't think the video game world is the same as the one from 10 years ago - I can't help feeling that it'll be a pastiche of a classic, rather than an evolution.

Edit: I only now noticed those NeoGAF screenshots - so yeah, it certainly looks like it's going to be a series of combat-heavy levels. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Niska wrote: »
    Opps - it's Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Teaser trailer debuted at the GDC yesterday. And it's a prequel.

All the game-sites have info on it, here's the IGN one:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077037p1.html

4 months agos click news that

i also accidentally leaked that it was multiformat

i got in trouble for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eurogamer have a preview up, along with a Q&A session to answer those important fan-questions:

Preview:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview

Q&A:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-fan-service-article
    And that - somewhat early on in what will be a glowing preview of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, by the way - is the message I want to convey. This is, recognisably and joyfully, a true Deus Ex game - we can stop worrying and start tentative negotiation with the hype train.

Preview reads promisingly good, anyone got any idea on specs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll hold off and wait for some gameplay video's before judging this. Even with that article, i have a feeling it will pander to the recent generation and dumb things down a bit. I still haven't forgiven Deus Ex 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Its going to be awesome! Im going to play the first 2 again!

AWESOME!

Deus Ex is the game i played as a teenager that made me realise that all games werent made for teenagers.

Deus Ex 2 made me realise that too many gmaes are made for teenagers.

This shall restore my belief that the best games are not built for teenagers. Please be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BopNiblets wrote: »
    You could just do what I do:
    Turn down all settings, and hope for the best. :)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    From the screenshots, it doesn't look *that* advanced, graphics-wise. Certainly nothing beyond current gen games.

The devs say they're using a "heavily" modified version of the Tomb Raider: Underworld engine, so I guess use those specs as a rough guideline for now until we see otherwise?
    I took this from the Tomb Raider: Underworld page on Steam:

o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP (admin rights required)/Microsoft Windows Vista (admin rights required)
    o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    o Memory: 2 GB system memory
    o Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX or ATI HD4800
    o Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
    o Hard Drive Space: 8 GB Free Space
    o Controller: Microsoft Xbox360 Controller

Update: some sneaky cam footage has appeared, taken from the supposedly behind-closed-doors presentation at E3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/21/deus-ex-hr-illicit-e3-wobblecam/
    It looks bladeunner'y :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    Update: some sneaky cam footage has appeared, taken from the supposedly behind-closed-doors presentation at E3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/21/deus-ex-hr-illicit-e3-wobblecam/
    It looks bladeunner'y :)
    That looks f*cking awesome. My only misgivings would be for the way it switches to a third person perspective for certain actions and the cut scenes. But I'm sure I can live with it.

That looks Deus Ex-y!

(say that in a Scottish accent :P)

Awww, it has been taken down: but needless to say it has cropped up on YouTube already.
    humanji wrote: »
    That looks f*cking awesome. My only misgivings would be for the way it switches to a third person perspective for certain actions and the cut scenes. But I'm sure I can live with it.

Well the cut scenes in Deus Ex 1 were in 3rd person so at least they're being that faithful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Never played Deus Ex but was told I absolutely had to. Graphics are so bad now though, finding it hard to get into it (way too many games on the go atm doesn't help things!)

I love the look of this, reminds me of the bladerunner game which I loved.

This has so much potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Never played Deus Ex but was told I absolutely had to. Graphics are so bad now though, finding it hard to get into it (way too many games on the go atm doesn't help things!)

Try it with the DX10 renderer, which at least gives you high resolution/widescreen options plus other graphical niceities:

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Those videos dont seem to be working for me. Here they are again if anyones interested

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/06/e3-2010-leaked-gameplay.html

Deus ex is in my top 3 games of all time. It is brilliant and id suggest anyone whos never played it to do so. Nevermind the graphics the game is just incredible.

I really hope human revolution doesnt end up being a letdown. Not sure I like all these cutscene takedowns. The game looks really easy from what ive seen of it so far.

The guy talking in the leaked footage states that you can go through the entire game without killing anyone so that looks promising.

2011 is a good bit off though :(

Incidentally, today is Deus Ex's 10th anniversary:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/22/happy-deus-ex-day

I was about half-way through my third play of it which I started a month or two ago - must go revisit it!

P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hmm starting to get little tingles of excitement about this game, I was not getting up hopes up too much up to now.

joe123 wrote: »
    I really hope human revolution doesnt end up being a letdown. Not sure I like all these cutscene takedowns. The game looks really easy from what ive seen of it so far.

Yes, the only minus for me are those takedowns - so we have to watch those cut-scenes every single time we stealth-kill or stealth-incapacitate? that would get annoying fast.

As for the game looking easy, well don't forget it's a private, press-only demonstration of the game, potentially demo'ed by managers who don't game. It stands to reason the game is set at easy so the demonstrator can whizz through it on cue without having to pause. It's arguable that section of the game will even feature in the final game.

Great gameplay demo, would love to see HD version. Agreed, the cutscenes for takedowns will get annoying especially as there seems to be a lot of silent takedowns. I liked the double take down though. Hopefully devs will scale this back a bit, they do have til next year to get anough feedback anyway!

• Advertisement

To celebrate the 10th anniversary, Steam has the original for €2.49:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/

Or the original and the sequel for €4.98:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/296/

No-one has any excuse not to have it now!

P.

Ya just heard bout this, I might just have to try it (even if I don't play it, has to be worth the price!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Has popped up in the future release section of Steam with a Feb 2011 release date. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

marco_polo wrote: »
    Has popped up in the future release section of Steam with a Feb 2011 release date. :(

At least they have set a date, and feb isn't that far away!

marco_polo wrote: »
    That's fine by me - so that means it's not going to be rushed to hit the Christmas flood of releases, and they're obviously taking their time. I can wait, besides: Deus Ex 1 is a fuppin' lonnnng game, I'll prolly only be finished replaying it by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As long as you can can complete the game by
    a) killing everyone (warrior)
    or
    b) killing no-one (ninja)
    I'll be happy.
    Burgo wrote: »
    At least they have set a date, and feb isn't that far away!
    As long as EA doesn't come near it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well considering it's being published by Square i don't see the problem ;)

Dredging up this thread again, some screenshots were released for this; some of them are old, but there's a couple of new ones:
    http://kotaku.com/5605869/new-deus-ex-human-revolution-screens-black-gold--a-little-old/gallery/

New Gameplay trailer released.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-deus-ex/702812

It looks pretty damn good, and i can understand why they would only focus on the combat side of things in an early trailer like this, but you damn well better be able to do everything stealthily. One of my favourite way's of playing the original was limiting myself to the Dart gun and the tazer thing.

• Advertisement

Who put a freakin' Transformer in there? :/

Cool, a sassy pilot.

Advertisement