Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

al28283 wrote: »
    Think i'll trade

That's a shame, I guess it's not for everyone. What were you expecting from it?

Can I ask what kind of games you typically like? Do you play any RPGs?
    I heard a lot of people say that this should go down well with the Mass Effect crowd. Obviously fans of the original Deus Ex will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The gunplay is meh, the story is not going much for me, the hacking mini game is frustrating, the AI has been copied from pong, yet I pumped 5 hrs in one sitting playing it without even knowing.

There is a real feeling of satisfaction in progress here that is missing from so many games these days. I love it so far

Don't forget the wonky animation. NPCs look like they have Parkinson's when you're talking to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont think i'd be enjoying this at all if I was killing people, stealth and stunguns/tranq darts etc are the way to play the game

i spent 2 hours last night trying to get through a few areas crawling with guards.. with only 1 tranq duart, no stun gun darts, i had 4 peps charges.. but for some reason the guards were immune to peps... bastards

now *that* **** was exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Can't put the game down. Spent a lot of Friday and Saturday playing it. It seems to be quite long as well and the side quests can be pretty good. I am playing as stealthy as possible and it is great fun. Second play though I am going to try and not get caught and not kill anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

5uspect wrote: »
    That's a shame, I guess it's not for everyone. What were you expecting from it?

Can I ask what kind of games you typically like? Do you play any RPGs?
    I heard a lot of people say that this should go down well with the Mass Effect crowd. Obviously fans of the original Deus Ex will love it.

I was hoping it would be something like a mix between MGS, Splinter Cell and Batman:AA as it seems to take a lot of elements of each of those games, but unfortunately it doesn't do any of it very well IMO.
    Stealth games don't really work for me unless the AI is up to scratch, the combat is pretty poor and the story is going nowhere. Graphics don't matter to me so much as long as the gameplay i there.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Finished it yesterday on PC.

Shooting mechanics are solid if unspectacular.
    Stealth mechanics are simple but enjoyable.
    Hacking mini game is decent.
    Dialogue system is well done.
    A.I is abit on the weak side.
    The overall system jells well, just like the orginal. Good sense of satisfaction from progression as mentioned before.

I played a mainly stealth non lethal approach with a fall back to shooting if I got detected or ran low on none leathal ammo. Ammo was a little bit scarse overall and stop you from relying exclusive on 1 or 2 weapons. Having said that I only had back track once for ammo during the course of the game to deal with a boss fight. Boss fights where frustratingly 1 dimensional. (although youtube videos have shown 1 or 2 inventive ways of dealing with them). However I'll admit the 3rd boss fight was for me highly reminiscent of the Deckard-Pris fight toward the end of Blade Runner. Certain augmentations make some boss fights alot easier.

Difficulty wise, I didn't find it that challenging. One or two moderate difficulty spikes. You could get killed at any time due to the enemies being able to kill you quickly, but there wasn't any particular area I was stuck on long.

Storyline is good.
    Graphics are average at best but the art direction is fantastic.
    Sound is fantastic. Great soundtrack and background audio.
    Voice acting is solid if unspectacular.
    Decent length, about 20 hours or so. Wish there was more to do in the hubs, felt they where underused.

Controls where fine. Game ran well for me on system. Max DX11 settings at 1920x1200 (Q8400, HD6870, 4GB Ram). Ran fine for the most part with only some slight stutter in the Detroit Hub. Patch was released that made the load time issue non existent (running on a 3rd generation raptor HD). Had 1 lock up during a reload, overall very stable. One or two very minor graphical glitches. Noticed one NPC fall through the ground.

Overall I enjoyed it. Probably replay it at a latter date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

32449.jpg

mate posted this on another site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

quarryman wrote:
    I'm thinking I'll return this. Does anyone know if Game will refund you after you've opened the box? I seem to be remember they would if you had opened it but not played it.

Nope, definitely not. How would they know if you hadn't played it? They best you'd get is a trade in, which is probably about €35 at the minute, maybe €40 if you're lucky.

I was hoping it would be something like a mix between MGS, Splinter Cell and Batman:AA as it seems to take a lot of elements of each of those games, but unfortunately it doesn't do any of it very well IMO.
    Stealth games don't really work for me unless the AI is up to scratch, the combat is pretty poor and the story is going nowhere. Graphics don't matter to me so much as long as the gameplay i there.

Of course MGS, SC and AA are all third person stealth 'em ups with AA having a mixing it up with some excellent brawling. For me Deus Ex is a first person RPG with a silly conspiracy theory story and lots of choice in how you approach the missions which affects the resulting story. AA and SC (never played MGS :() have no story branching.

I guess you could say they took the cover system from those games and simply bolted that onto old Deus Ex with a coat of paint. Perhaps this was misleading to those unfamiliar with the original? Certainly a lot of the trailers showed Jensen punching dudes through walls and generally being a bit slap happy.

I would definitely give it more than half an hour though, you're still really in the tutorial. As has been said already, there is a huge sense of satisfaction when you make progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

5uspect wrote: »
    Of course MGS, SC and AA are all third person stealth 'em ups with AA having a mixing it up with some excellent brawling. For me Deus Ex is a first person RPG with a silly conspiracy theory story and lots of choice in how you approach the missions which affects the resulting story. AA and SC (never played MGS :() have no story branching.

I guess you could say they took the cover system from those games and simply bolted that onto old Deus Ex with a coat of paint. Perhaps this was misleading to those unfamiliar with the original? Certainly a lot of the trailers showed Jensen punching dudes through walls and generally being a bit slap happy.

I would definitely give it more than half an hour though, you're still really in the tutorial. As has been said already, there is a huge sense of satisfaction when you make progress.

yea, played a bit more and it does get a bit better but still not impressed. I'm just avoiding enemies at this stage, might as well be watching a movie as I'm not really doing much.

I have superhuman abilities yet I can't run for more than a few seconds and have no melee attack.

And why are there so many goddamn cardboard boxes???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Haha totally agree with the boxes! Must not be a lot of delivery services in the future with all those boxes lying around!
    Its a good game and im really enjoying it but i think unfortunately it fell victim to its own hype. The original was groundbreaking in its day but human revolution doesnt really bring anything new to the table. Graphically its not that impressive i think but that could be because i went straight from the witcher 2 into it.
    Was a bit unimpressed with the wall punching tbh because you have no chance of doing it without alerting the entire place. I am going to go back and blast my way through everyone for the eventual replay though. Really enjoying playing stealth at the moment especially with that aiming upgrade that calculates where to aim to nail headshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Trying to buy on direct2drive, and I get the following message

Error: Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Country restricted on your IP.

Can I ignore it? Looks like I can go through with the transaction but I'm not sure.

Edit: nevermind, I was on d2d.com and not d2d.co.uk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

i dont think i'd be enjoying this at all if I was killing people, stealth and stunguns/tranq darts etc are the way to play the game

i spent 2 hours last night trying to get through a few areas crawling with guards.. with only 1 tranq duart, no stun gun darts, i had 4 peps charges.. but for some reason the guards were immune to peps... bastards

now *that* **** was exciting

Sometimes that doesn't work though and you...........have to go down the violent route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

While some of the criticisms on stealth are fair enough, I'm afraid that it's perhaps a lack of understanding about the mechanics of the game. You must remember, the original was stuck with some fairly ropey "rules" for the AI as well (like guards never shooting you if you were working at a console) - the joy of that game, and of this, is not in the realism or amazing intelligence (which I think is still good) but in working within the constraints of the game world rules and doing, well, whatever you like. The sheer freedom of choice is something I don't think you can get from a half hour play, and most players will possibly never appreciate. Years later people are still discussing different ways of completing just the first level in the original and sharing stories of how they coped when things, well, went to s**t. This Deus Ex is definitely built with that kind of thinking in mind. It's not trying to be the best stealth-em-up, the best rpg, the best shoot em up - it's trying to be a worthy Deus Ex and that is about, above all those, choice.

Doesn't mean you have to like it! That's not to everyone's taste. I just think people need to have the right expectations to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like the game so far im going with the stealth option as much as possible, only gripe i find annoying is with the tranq darts hitting their targets or rather not , i taken plenty of shots where the tranq clearly hit the target but for some reason or another no affect other than that im pretty happy.

One major gripe is i just thought of is if you get a piece of info like person x is looking for you to meet them at place x , unless your write it down manually theres no real way to remind yourself and thus you have lost a side misson unless you stumble across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am loving it but my major issue is when you load the game after dying. It says load last save i click yes and then it loads the first save i made when im back at the police station. I have to pause and load the save i made then. Pain when you get killed a lot like i do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I am loving it but my major issue is when you load the game after dying. It says load last save i click yes and then it loads the first save i made when im back at the police station. I have to pause and load the save i made then. Pain when you get killed a lot like i do.

Noticed that too,pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

I like the game so far im going with the stealth option as much as possible, only gripe i find annoying is with the tranq darts hitting their targets or rather not , i taken plenty of shots where the tranq clearly hit the target but for some reason or another no affect other than that im pretty happy.

Shoot a guard in the leg or torso and the tranq takes about 5-10 to take effect shoot him in the head and it's instant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It's not trying to be the best stealth-em-up, the best rpg, the best shoot em up - it's trying to be a worthy Deus Ex and that is about, above all those, choice.

Doesn't mean you have to like it! That's not to everyone's taste. I just think people need to have the right expectations to appreciate it.

Exactly. I must say, I'm very happy with this so far. REALLY enjoying it. Massive fan of the original and was very worried about this one considering how bad number 2 was.

But this game really does capture the soul of Dues Ex. I'm playing on the hardest setting. Forcing myself to take enemies seriously when trying to avoid them/deal with them. Loving it.

The music is awesome too.

• Advertisement

yea, played a bit more and it does get a bit better but still not impressed. I'm just avoiding enemies at this stage, might as well be watching a movie as I'm not really doing much.
    That's half the fun for me, but I'm doing everything I can to observe the environment. I've turned the object highlighting off since it gives away so much. I spend nearly an hour negotiating a safe route through an enemy filled room only to find the exit to the vent that would have let me bypass them in seconds. But that was an awesome hour!
    I have superhuman abilities yet I can't run for more than a few seconds and have no melee attack.

Well as the story goes you're
    just recovering from near death and major surgery
    so you have to expect to begin with baby steps. You can upgrade your speed and stamina as you progress. Also this is a prequel to the first game, you're augmentations are supposed to be a bit ****ty.
    And why are there so many goddamn cardboard boxes???

QFT, I've just moved house and I'm already sick to the death of cardboard boxes before even playing this.

Anyway, you've made valid points, it's not a game for everyone. But it is great to see such an old school game get released nowadays.

Hadn't noticed that, I just bet bumped back to my most recent quicksave or autosave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got this today, hope to get stuck into it later on.

jaron namir... how the **** do you kill this skinless ****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Shoot like crazy until he's knocked back a bit, then RUN FOR GODS SAKE! After the first round of shots I did two laps of the out ring and then stuck to a corner so I could see left and right. When he appeared I chucked EMP grenade at him, then let rip with the heavy rifle. Only had to do this twice more and he was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

KilOit wrote: »
    Shoot a guard in the leg or torso and the tranq takes about 5-10 to take effect shoot him in the head and it's instant
    Nope thats not it , it would be more like i situation where you snipe a guard standing 20mtrs away clear chest/torso shot even the bullet trail shows a hit and it has no effect i think it may be to do with railing or near objects affecting it in a way it shouldnt. very frustrating though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I took the LIMB upgrade so my augs and vision are ****ed. This is infuriating!

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I took the LIMB upgrade so my augs and vision are ****ed. This is infuriating!
    so did I

I had an idea at the time it'd be a trap cos of all the **** in the various emails i'd been reading but.. for some reason I went ahead and did it anyway

--edit
    even the game got sick of that boss fight and crashed

---edit

hah, i went back a ways and grabbed a turret. then when he was shooting at me, emp'd him and hid around the corner

he was being shot all the time by the turret so he wasnt able to cloak and run away, was over in a few seconds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Been playing the game for about 5 hours now, as an unapologetic fan of Deus Ex 1. There really is no question - this is Deus Ex both in style & substance. In fact, as someone said earlier in this thread, it feels like an old Looking Glass Studios game. The feel of the game is just like the original, and plays like it too. The mechanics, sidequests, city hubs, and so on; it's all pitch-perfect. Sure the lack of melee weapons is frustrating (I came across a baseball bat, which I couldn't 'use'), and equally, the takedowns simply annoying and jarring, but everything else about the game rings true.

I have to laugh at people here complaining about the graphics because frankly, this game is hands-down gorgeous. Oh sure, there may not be as many polygons thrown at this game, and the textures not HD, but jesus stop being so shallow people.

The game itself is beautiful to look at in its themes, motifs & execution , and I've spent most of my time so far simply wandering around the Detroit hub, taking in the atmosphere of it all; from the buildings, to the clothing, to the fake advertising, to the people. I'd argue that this is one of the more "complete" visions of the future since Blade runner as everything feels like it belongs together.

That said, my enjoyment came crashing down when I fought my first boss -
    Barrett
    (spoiler-texting for the super sensitive). Up until this point I have been playing as a Pacifist - no kills, simply stealthy takedowns & stuns. I've not picked up grenades or weapons of any type. However, this first boss forces you in to a gunfight, against a guy with a minigun, in an open room. My praxis upgrades have been so-far focused on hacking & social, and as such simply have no way of killing this guy. I'm completely stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

pixelburp wrote: »
    Been playing the game for about 5 hours now, as an unapologetic fan of Deus Ex 1. There really is no question - this is Deus Ex both in style & substance. In fact, as someone said earlier in this thread, it feels like an old Looking Glass Studios game. The feel of the game is just like the original, and plays like it too. The mechanics, sidequests, city hubs, and so on; it's all pitch-perfect. Sure the lack of melee weapons is frustrating (I came across a baseball bat, which I couldn't 'use'), and equally, the takedowns simply annoying and jarring, but everything else about the game rings true.

I have to laugh at people here complaining about the graphics because frankly, this game is hands-down gorgeous. Oh sure, there may not be as many polygons thrown at this game, and the textures not HD, but jesus stop being so shallow people.

The game itself is beautiful to look at in its themes, motifs & execution , and I've spent most of my time so far simply wandering around the Detroit hub, taking in the atmosphere of it all; from the buildings, to the clothing, to the fake advertising, to the people. I'd argue that this is one of the more "complete" visions of the future since Blade runner as everything feels like it belongs together.

That said, my enjoyment came crashing down when I fought my first boss -
    Barrett
    (spoiler-texting for the super sensitive). Up until this point I have been playing as a Pacifist - no kills, simply stealthy takedowns & stuns. I've not picked up grenades or weapons of any type. However, this first boss forces you in to a gunfight, against a guy with a minigun, in an open room. My praxis upgrades have been so-far focused on hacking & social, and as such simply have no way of killing this guy. I'm completely stuck.
    Throw the gas canisters and explosive barrels at him. He'll die pretty quickly.

Advertisement