Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Day-ooss

that is the latin pronunciation of Deus

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Newaglish wrote: »
    Just to solve an argument I'm sure I'm bound to have soon: how do you pronounce Deus Ex?

Thought it was Deu - es or Day - us
    Both wrong apparently

Dee - uhs ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Thought it was Deu - es or Day - us
    Both wrong apparently

Dee - uhs ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deus

I've heard it spoken a few times as Day-Us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Just completed it yesterday.

Part Metal Gear Solid.
    Part Hitman.
    Part Blade Runner.

I'm sure I missed about half the side missions and still got around 30 hours out of it, and I'm jumping straight back into another playthrough to complete the missions differently and make different decisions.
    #.

i dunno, I did some googling after I'd finished the game and.. I couldn't find much about any side quests I missed. I think I actually got them all bar 1, and I didn't get that many. I suppose it's an fps masking as an rpg, so too much to expect it to have as many quests as an rpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

yeah always thought it was that myself.

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's what I thought - I'm amazed some people here have already completed the game; I presumed you guys had just been playing the main-plot quests, and not exploring or seeking out sub-plots / missions

I did every side quest, and took my time going through areas as I didn't want to kill anyone, and tbf there aren't exactly a huge amount of side quests in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's how I say it at the moment. I was hoping to find some sort of developer interview where they call out the name. If they've created it, I can only assume that they get to pick the pronunciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

i dunno, I did some googling after I'd finished the game and.. I couldn't find much about any side quests I missed. I think I actually got them all bar 1, and I didn't get that many. I suppose it's an fps masking as an rpg, so too much to expect it to have as many quests as an rpg.
    Yeah, it's got feck all side quests. I guess they'll all come with the DLC...

actually, something I noticed last night after starting my second play through

I killed all the soldiers during the intro, thinking they didnt count towards the pacifist achievement but they do so I'm starting all over again
    I entered the dlc code I got with the game, and I got the auto hack too, the remote detonation stuff.. but I didn't get my 10000 credits

i was meant to get them at the start of the first proper mission, at the warehouse.. but I got the remote detonators and not the credits. anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I've just arrived in
    Singapore?
    after 20 hours of play.
    (Do I have much left to go?)

Also, am I the only person who wished (setting & story-wise) that it was slightly less sci-fi?

I know the original had all sorts of advanced stuff, but your main mode of transport was a helicopter, rather than a pretty high-tech looking hover-jet. Even the ol' computers were pretty "normal", and people read "paper", newspapers.

None of the above is a problem mind you, the game is awesome, but it seems to suffer from the unfortunate (and probably unavoidable!) "Star Wars prequel syndrome" where everything in the "past" seems far more awesome than the original.

Also, all the mechanically augmented folks were supposed to be hideously ugly, and, well, a bit rubbish, no? I'd love a pair of Jensen's arms! And he's got a couple of much cooler toys than JC ever did!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How many side quests are in the game?

• Advertisement

I've just arrived in
    Singapore?
    after 20 hours of play.
    (Do I have much left to go?)

umm....yeah, not a huge amount to go but you're not really near the end yet

How many side quests are in the game?

i don't think there's more than ten over all

--edit

apparently there are 14, but only ten with achievements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Collector's edition arrived today. The figurine is really quite lovely. The box is very pretty. I love the art book. I'll have to wait a few more hours before I can actually comment on the game itself, but I do have some lovely shinies at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sarky wrote: »
    Collector's edition arrived today. The figurine is really quite lovely. The box is very pretty. I love the art book. I'll have to wait a few more hours before I can actually comment on the game itself, but I do have some lovely shinies at least.
    My Aug Ed arrived from Amazon there. Nice little Artbook. Playing it through on the PS3 atm, but I'll get to my PC version asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Finally beat that prick Barrett! Cheap win though, I just hid on top of the crate inside the last alcove. Popped out every so often to put a few shotty rounds in his face and he finished himself off with some reckless use of grenades :D

Heading for Hengsha next but just wonder if I should try and finish all the side quests in Detroit first, or will I get a chance to come back for them at a later stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Haven't gotten the game yet myself, but i thought you guys would enjoy this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haha thats brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Well that's just great. By the time it got to the 7:30 mark of that video I nearly spat out my tea to stifle a "lol".

My boss is looking at me funny now. Time to get back to work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

1:20 in and all I want to do is see the 2 tards on that video die of a horribly slow and painful wasting disease...

Will not be watching any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

DarkJager wrote: »
    Finally beat that prick Barrett! Cheap win though, I just hid on top of the crate inside the last alcove. Popped out every so often to put a few shotty rounds in his face and he finished himself off with some reckless use of grenades :D
    QUOTE]

Trying to beat him with a sneaky character and rubbish weapons on "Give Me Deus Ex" mode is almost an exercise in futility. It felt like that scene in Shaun of The Dead where they throw everything in the garden at the zombie to little effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is the only way to recharge the power cells those energy bars? Also which hacking abilities are worth putting points into?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reached shanghai last night, and a bit worried that people are saying the side quests peter out... :/ I wouldn't mind but that hub area seems huge, I was expecting there be even more distractions than in Detroit. Hummity, wondering now if the honeymoon period is already over :(

grizzly wrote: »
    Is the only way to recharge the power cells those energy bars? Also which hacking abilities are worth putting points into?

There's a jar of energy recharging stuff that charges up to 3 cells, damned if I can remember what it's called, but I recall it takes 4 slots in the inventory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've only used the takedowns twice, and that was only when i had to (2 side quests require you to actually kill/capture someone). Kind of stupid that it doesnt recharge manually, or in between missions. I've avoided every other enemy so far. Proper stealth mode (and by that, i mean proper quicksave/load mode :P)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...]
    I killed all the soldiers during the intro, thinking they didnt count towards the pacifist achievement but they do so I'm starting all over again[...]

FFFFFUUUUUUUU...
    Well there go my plans for bragging ...

Are you sure about that? I only recall having the machine gun / pistol at the start, and without any augs I couldn't do takedowns - how on earth then can those kills count towards the pacifist achievement?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

pixelburp wrote: »
    FFFFFUUUUUUUU...
    Well there go my plans for bragging ...

Are you sure about that? I only recall having the machine gun / pistol at the start, and without any augs I couldn't do takedowns - how on earth then can those kills count towards the pacifist achievement?

Unfortunately for anyonewho only finds this near the end of the game (and there are loads), you have to sneak past all the guards at the start for the pacifist achievement.

pfffffffffffffff I say to that - what kind of head of security (or even what kind of man) sneaks past all the intruders in his employers office who are shooting his colleagues and are ultimately going after his love interest?

That's a bit lame, it should definitely start after you get your Augs and get into the game proper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Shiminay wrote: »
    pfffffffffffffff I say to that - what kind of head of security (or even what kind of man) sneaks past all the intruders in his employers office who are shooting his colleagues and are ultimately going after his love interest?

That's a bit lame, it should definitely start after you get your Augs and get into the game proper.

Indeed :). Probably the same sort of head of security guard that wanders aimlessly around the main office chatting to everyone for about an hour during a crisis while
    all the hostages get killed (ok that one may have been my bad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Would anyone know what the cheapest digital version of this is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kiith wrote: »
    I've only used the takedowns twice, and that was only when i had to (2 side quests require you to actually kill/capture someone). Kind of stupid that it doesnt recharge manually, or in between missions. I've avoided every other enemy so far. Proper stealth mode (and by that, i mean proper quicksave/load mode :P)

You'll need them in Hengsha court apartments. Just past it now and there's about 12 guys there who are goin to be waking up with broken jaws and pounding headaches.....if they wake up at all! :D

Advertisement