Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I got lucky and the second boss got stuck in a wall letting me finish them off at my leisure. No loss TBH.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

5uspect wrote: »
    I got lucky and the second boss got stuck in a wall letting me finish them off at my leisure. No loss TBH.

Ha! hope I'm that lucky :D,Were there boss fights in the first game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    He was dead on my 2nd attempt in 30 seconds !!!!!!!! on the hardest setting!!!!
    Dont waste bullets on him there are loads of barrels and gas canisters to lob at him, the gas stuns him and the red barrels explode, so once the battle starts run left and grab a gas can and then work your way around the room.
    I ran out of stuff and in the end 1 tranq dart finished him off :D

I got lucky and killed the ****er eventually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Love this game, spent hours running about the city doing side quests and hacking doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I just heard music from the original Deus Ex playing on one of the radios. <3333333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stun Gun is the boss-killer. Leaves them standing there twitching while you shoot X in their face, X being your prefered weapon.

Speaking of favourite weapons, the revolver is stupidly powerful once you get the exploding ammo upgrade. Hand-cannon-of-doom that thing is.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I just heard music from the original Deus Ex playing on one of the radios. <3333333

Memories.

Sarky wrote: »

thats makes me wish I'd played the original so I could hear all and see this things from deus ex 1 ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I got lucky and killed the ****er eventually :D

I learned a valuable lesson from him. note to all playing stealthy!!!!!!

I got stuck with no heavy duty arms here as I was killing no one and sneaking around and not wasting space picking up guns or even carrying a real gun up to that point.

Always carry a back up piece and ammo !!!!! even if going for pacifist. There are guns during the boss fight but picking them up wasted valuable time and ended in instant death for me :(

calex71 wrote: »
    I learned a valuable lesson from him. note to all playing stealthy!!!!!!

I got stuck with no heavy duty arms here as I was killing no one and sneaking around and not wasting space picking up guns or even carrying a real gun up to that point.

Always carry a back up piece and ammo !!!!! even if going for pacifist. There are guns during the boss fight but picking them up wasted valuable time and ended in instant death for me :(

Dare I ask how hard is the next boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

slowly playing through this like I do all Deus Ex games.

Currently in the downtime between the first mission and the 2nd and I am wheeling and deeling between the gunrunners, hacking into apartments and generally turning coin.

*BUT*

big mistake I made
    I entered the police from the sewers while exploring and ended up moving the quest forward but in the process I knocked out a few cops so I can loot stuff and now every cop in the game seems to be locked on to kill me which means getting out of the station is very very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

if you have typhoon lvl 2 pretty easy, just stun and a few rounds kills the bosses

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Finished the first boss last night, was slightly frustrating at first, but some of the comments here had prepared me so I had a combat rifle and revolver as well as my trusty SMG.

However, my weapon of choice is my pistol + laser sight + silencer + armour piercing + upgraded ammo capacity. It's non-stop headshots on patrolling soldiers and you can lead them away from cameras or buddies to take them down by shooting a trail of bullets off the ground for them to follow. Almost makes it too easy, but it is very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It was pretty easy.
    If the second boss is the Auged Woman in the big mainframe room in Montreal. When she charges, just shoot the big red things on the wall or emp her, water on the floor, so this will hurt you too, when she is stunned, empty the heavy rifle in her face as close range, there is one to be picked up just before the fight and one in the room where you fight her too.

Is the Typhoon upgrade worth getting?
    Is it lethal or non lethal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    It was pretty easy.
    If the second boss is the Auged Woman in the big mainframe room in Montreal. When she charges, just shoot the big red things on the wall or emp her, water on the floor, so this will hurt you too, when she is stunned, empty the heavy rifle in her face as close range, there is one to be picked up just before the fight and one in the room where you fight her too.

It's lethal but well worth it. Sends a shockwave blast 360 degrees around you knocking everyone over before doing a full circle spread of explosions. Accidentally activated it in the middle of a street in henghsha, hilarity ensued :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been avoiding killing anyone, but now that i know that i can't get the Pacifist achievement after killing the enemies in the prologue, i might get the Typhoon. My upgrades so far has been all social/hacking, and then i've picked anything that has a contextual activation (i.e Icarus landing system, punch through walls). Basically anything that gives me another route thorugh the levels.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I picked up the Icarus landing which is fun - especially the stun attack when you land. I did it in one of the alleys in Detroit by accident and mashed 3 homeless sorts hanging around a fire barrel :o

I also have the CASIE/Social one which has come in quite useful once you get used to it especially when
    talking with the boss after the FEMA holding facility mission

I picked the "punch through walls" after getting an upgrade whilst going through the
    Detroit gang territory to get to the antenna/evidence on Murphy
    and ended up not using it once after buying it, so I really hope the opportunity presents itself again soon so I can try it out :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i always thought the gunplay in deus ex looked a bit ****ty, but I got bored last night on my second playthrough so I did a quick save and started running through the level shooting people.. surprisingly satisfying, and difficult.

Shiminay wrote: »

I picked the "punch through walls" after getting an upgrade whilst going through the
    Detroit gang territory to get to the antenna/evidence on Murphy
    and ended up not using it once after buying it, so I really hope the opportunity presents itself again soon so I can try it out :)

there's been a few times I've only had a few darts and have a few soldiers and robotos/lasers to get by and am trying to save my energy so dont want to just waste it all on cloak, takedowns. so I eventually just have to takedown/snipe my way through them all, only to find a grate on the wall a little further behind them . so I crawl in to see where it goes, keep crawling for a couple of seconds and it takes me to a contextual wall directly before the point where I didnt want to waste all that energy and weapon ammo.

then i just sigh, curse myself for not being more observant and carry on.
    so yes, you will get the opportunity to use it :) if you notice it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i always thought the gunplay in deus ex looked a bit ****ty, but I got bored last night on my second playthrough so I did a quick save and started running through the level shooting people.. surprisingly satisfying, and difficult.

I'm looking foward to my next play though. Pretty much going to kill every single guard i've had to sneak past in my current playthrough. That'll learn em for spotting me all the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I thought it was a bit rubbish!
    You needed to be standing in a group of enemies to make the most of it, and you spend 99% of the game trying your best to actually stay away from enemies! (Stealth approach / hiding behind cover, etc.)

Particularly since you get hurt so easily, I didn't think the benefits outweighed the risks of ever using it. Plus the ammo is expensive! (And am I wrong in saying that you need to eat a chocolate bar as well before you can use it?)

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Typhoon is an IWin button for bosses. So you can get back to playing the game properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I didn't bother with the Typhoon until near the very end, but I imagine it would be pretty sweet to land in the middle of a group using Icarus-stun and then trigger the Typhoon before they get up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Did anyone else think that
    the guy on the phone breaking into Brent Radford's storage unit had an Irish accent?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Opinicus wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that
    the guy on the phone breaking into Brent Radford's storage unit had an Irish accent?

That WAS an Irish accent.

oh what the ****

i finished it for the second time, and it still didn't give me the pacifist achievement
    I didn't kill anyone bar the ****ing bosses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just reached the first boss and had to turn it off in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I just reached the first boss and had to turn it off in frustration.

I tried it a few times, turned it to easy mode and beat him, then put it back to normal. All the guides I could find were all about using stun grenades but i had nothing like that to use! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I must also mention how amazed I am that this game runs on my netbook. This is my PC. The processor is actually bellow the minimum spec and it has a netbook-designed graphics card (nVidia ION 2) and it actually fecking runs! I'm pretty amazed. Great optimisation here.

That is amazing; I would have thought netbooks simply couldn't handle A+ modern games.

P.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Injokes, did you know and tidbits of info. Don't look if you haven't beaten the game.
    Deus Ex
    The title "Deus Ex" is derived from the Latin expression deus ex machina, literally meaning "god out of the machine". It is used in drama and literature to describe an outside force that suddenly solves the seemingly unsolvable problem(s) the characters face in an extremely unlikely or impossible way. Warren Spector, executive producer for Deus Ex, has stated the name was both meant as a reference to the various factions in the game who aspire to god-like powers, as well as a dig at the typical video game plot, which tends to be laden with "deus ex machina" artifices and other poor script writing techniques.

Daedalus and Icuras. The Greek myth of Daedalus and Icuras is referenced in both the trailers (Jensen's nightmare) and in the game. A statue of Icuras appears in the opening cutscene in Bob Page's office. A painting of the "Fall of Icuras" can be seen in David Sairf's office. The Icuras landing system is another reference. Tai Yong Medicals name means "Sun" in english. While Sarif's name was chosen due to its similarity to the word Seraphim or angels which ties in with the Icuras myth. Daedalus and Icuras where the names of 2 seperate A.I's in the orginal Deus Ex.

At several points during the game, music from the orginal Deus Ex can be heard on in game radio's. Some NPC's whistle the main theme from the orginal game.

Almost all the people who work at Sarif Industry have names based off Renaisscance Scientists, but have been Americanized.

In Pritchards office and in other locations during the game a poster can be seen for Final Fantasy 27. A reference to the famous series of JRPG made by Square Enix the publisher of Deus Ex Human Revolution. A second reference to the Final Fantasy can be seen on build boards that feature a "Save the Chocobo campaign". Chocobo is a mountable creature in the FF series.

Lazarus the paranoid raido host is most likely a parody of real life raido host Alex Jones who also focuses on conspiracy theroies.

Several computers access during the course of the contain scam e-mails sent from Nigeria. Reference to real life e-mail scams from Nigeria.

In the Detroit Police Station, a message is played over the PA system for an office Deckard. Reference to Blade Runner.

Also in the Detroit Police Station 2 police officers are overheard dicussing a 1980's movie about a cyborg cop which is set in future Detriot. One of the cops names is Alex Muprhy. Reference to Robocop.

Most of the police officers in the station are named after famous cyberpunk authors.

In the Detroit Hub only one of the call girls has a name. Her name is Charlotte. A reference to the Iron Maiden songs "Charlotte the Harlot", "22 Acacia Avenue", "Hooks in You" and "From Here to Enternity" which all referred to a call girl named Charlotte.

In the Hackers apartment in Hengsha, in the bathroom there are 3 sea shells beside the toliet. A reference to the movie Demolition Man.

Also in the Hackers apartment in the hidden computer room, there is a post-it with a image of the popular internet meme "Forever Alone".

In Kuigan, Level 1 in Hengsha, there is a computer belonging to the hacker "Windmill" in storage unit that contains 3 e-mails. One e-mail has a transcript of the opening scene of the game. The other is Windmill talking about Nucl3arsnake (Pritchard). The final e-mail contains a list of all computers in game that where targeted by the Nigerian E-mail scam.

In the shuttle station in Kuigan, there are two signs, a no smoking sign and a don't pee in the garbage can sign. Evidence indicates the signs are being ignored.

Most of the names of districts in Hengsha have double meanings in Chinese.

The in game TV network Picus is named after the Roman God Picumnus, also believed to be Sterquilinus the god of manure. Implying that Picus is spreading Bulls**t for news.

The Room where you meet Eliza for the first time is room 404. Reference to the HTTP standard response code and error message for "File Not Found" (she isn't in the room either).

An E-mail converstation on computers in the lower Picus complex has the staff referring to halographics device in the complex projecting an image of the moon having a very James Bond villian like feel to it.

The actually room where you meet Eliza is room 802-11 a reference to 802.11set of standards for implementing wireless computer communications.

Hacking Sarif's computer reveals a e-mail converstation between Sarif and General O'Neill discussing the concept of skull gun. A reference to the weapon Gunther Herman wanted in Deus Ex.

In the "Acquaintances Forgotten" side quest. Adam uses the line "I'll be back which is a reference to the movie "The Terminator", the name of the hostiles is the Men in Black Suits which is a reference to the movie "Men in Black" and one of this hostiles name is Mr Grey a reference the movie "Reservoir Dogs" The character of Radford also speaks of science fiction author Isaac Asimov and the Laws of Robotics.

In the Tallon A.D side quest the character Michael Zelazny quotes from the movie "Apocalypse Now".

Tracer Tong is the only character to appear in all 3 Deus Ex games.

The black ops mercs leader's name is Jaron Namir.
    The first name Jaron is of Israeli origin and meaning "He will rejoice", the surname, Namir, meaning "leopard".

The Female black op Yelena Fedorova design was inspired by Rihanna and the singer Cassie. Yelena is the Russian equivalent of Helen in English. Fedorova is a popular name in Russia. Her surname is spelt differently (Federova) in the tie in book Deus Ex:Icuras Effect.

The third black op, Barrets design was inspired by Kevin Durand.

The achievement/trophy, "Hanger 18" is a reference to the song of the same name by Megadeth. The username on the computer is MSTAINE and the e-mail is signed Dave. The lead singer of Megadeth is Dave Mustaine.

The achievement/trohpy, "Foxist of Hounds" is a reference to Metal Gear Solid series of games and the special operations unit in the series called FoxHound. The achievement icon contains exclamation marks around a solider head, similar to what happens in MGS when a enemy is is alerted.

The developers have stated the global look of the game was inspired by Solty Rei, Ghost in the Shell and Metal Gear Solid. Hengsha's design was heavily influenced by Blade Runner.

The A.I in the PC version of the game, where designed to be more accurate than on the console versions to compenstate for the greater precision of the mouse and keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

oh what the ****

i finished it for the second time, and it still didn't give me the pacifist achievement
    I didn't kill anyone bar the ****ing bosses

Did you you tranq darts on the side mission you do for the under cover cop disguised as a ho in Detroit ???? Theres a know bug where it reports then as dead, check for ZZZzzzzzz's and not a skull when you look at the bodies.

Didn't spoiler that as it's important people know about it and no plot details in it.

On a related note how the hell are people finishing so quick???? I'm on the dole and playing since sunday evening and still only half way through :eek:

Must me my ocd for having to have everything and look in every corner.

Thank fook I upgraded my stealth cammo thing there was no way I was getting out of that room
    in the tower where she pushes you out of the panic room to be swarmed with guards
    with out having to set off an alarm or shoot my way out :eek:

Advertisement