Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Ghost if no alarm gets set off, so I think you'll still get it if someone sees you for the split second it takes to pop around a corner and take them down or stun them or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

as much fun as it is to challange yourself with the pacifist route I must admit that it does deny you the oppurtunity to play with a pretty solid combat mechanic.

-though to be fair
    you get the plasma rifle so late in the game its worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I dont know if it's just the way that I'm playing the game but I seem to be getting praxis points at a rate of knots. Just after meeting
    Tong
    and did a side mission or two after that. I tend to search out everywhere first, all the ducts and possible routes and then I pick which one I think is best. I'm playing stealth and taking out almost anyone I can get my hands on, also Hacking, a lot. I'm buying praxis points from the LIMB clinics too since I've very little to spend my money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

psssht! That battery took a lot of the game for me.
    Great game still though!
    Wanted to play again and see all four endings or just use the save game before the button press. But i just watched youtube and it got rid of the urge!
    Dead Island here i come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cursai wrote: »
    psssht! That battery took a lot of the game for me.
    Great game still though!
    Wanted to play again and see all four endings or just use the save game before the button press. But i just watched youtube and it got rid of the urge!
    Dead Island here i come!
    if you just click continue at the main screen you watch all 4 and get the achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

if you just click continue at the main screen you watch all 4 and get the achievement

What if you didn't actually go and find Sarif and..... that other guy whose name I can't remember? I saved just before Sarif anyway, so I assume I can backtrack if needs be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

then you can't, the guys are really easy to find just back track and go stealth routes to find them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

C'mon guys, when did we stop using spoiler tags? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Completed this last night.
    Great game. Worther of the name Deus Ex.

Wonder what the sequel will be like.
    Since the ending of HR sets up the original Deus Ex. Which wont be remade. But since HR was 20 years before Deus Ex 1, and deus ex 2 was set 20 years after the first. Will the next Deus ex game be set in another 20 years after the 2nd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Since the ending of HR sets up the original Deus Ex. Which wont be remade. But since HR was 20 years before Deus Ex 1, and deus ex 2 was set 20 years after the first. Will the next Deus ex game be set in another 20 years after the 2nd?
    A) Why are you assuming there will be a sequel?
    B) Why are you assuming Deus Ex won't be remade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

DLC ready for this September 8th btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

ríomhaire wrote: »

A) Why are using spoiler tags for what arent spoilers? :confused:
    B) Why would they remake Deus Ex when clearly gaming achieved perfection in the summer of 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Sand wrote: »
    A) Why are using spoiler tags for what arent spoilers? :confused:
    B) Why would they remake Deus Ex when clearly gaming achieved perfection in the summer of 2000?
    A) I'm not sure
    B) Money

So here's my full review:

Just for clarity I played the PC version on highest difficulty with highlights and cover notifications turned off and cover mode set to toggle.

This game is very good. Lets start with that. Everything works very well. I thought the cover system and jumping between first and third person constantly would annoy be but it didn't at all. The cover system is smooth. Transitions around corners and between different covers works perfectly. I have no complaints about it. Similarly for the takedowns. At first the idea seemed stupid but to be honest they're just fun. Many of them are pretty funny or just cool (especially the double takedowns) and the way it uses power prevents spamming them. A much more fun system than standard melee attacks.

Regenerating health is thankfully not the wait five seconds for near-instant recovery sort and it actually takes some time to heal you back from the bring. Not something you want to be relying on in the middle of a fight, especially against tougher enemies. It does mean you don't have to run around looking for med kit if you screwed up and used all of yours and have 15 torso health as happened to many first-time Deus Ex players and it's worth noting that if you use health items in Human Revolution you can bring yourself up to 200 health while you'll only regenerate to 100, meaning regeneration only bring you to half your effective total health.

I don't want to go into detail about stealth or shooting gameplay. They're both good and both provide a decent challenge. A higher difficulty setting might have been nice but for "Give me Deus Ex" gave me a fun challenge for a first playthrough.

Hacking is great fun. Certainly the best hacking mini-game I've played in a game. Blows Fallout 3 and Bioshock out of the water. I hacked most stuff I came across (except the alarm panels, too many of those to bother with) and the emails on the PCs are sometimes pretty interesting and sometime quiet funny.

Exploration is cool and rewarding and the city areas are pretty lively and well-populated. Unfortunately very few characters have unique interactions though. You can overhear a lot of conversations but you can't go up to the people in question and talk to them about whatever they were discussing. There are no small one-objective sidequests for random people. You can't question the civilian population for info on places you're going into. The lack of significant interaction with small NPCs is unfortunate but it is made up for by the great interaction you have with the important ones. The dialogue system is very good. The tone and flow of the conversation also changes in different playthroughs so choosing the same options as you did before in the same order may not work so you actually have to pay attention to what the person is saying and respond accordingly. Dialogue choices and non-trivial and failing to persuade people will result in you having to take a more difficult route or may even prevent you from doing certain sidequests.

The augmentations are implemented well. You really feel upgraded at the end of the game compared to how you started and the option to pick any augmentation at any time is actually pretty cool. Simplicity is often better and I like that nothing is withheld until the end game. They're also pretty well balanced. They all give significant advantages and none of the upgrades are useless. In fact, pretty much nothing in this game is useless. All of the weapons are very powerful when used and upgraded properly. The pistol and be upgraded to ignore all armour (while being silenced) and the revolver can be upgraded with exploding rounds. Nothing in the game becomes obsolete, you just have to choose what to focus on. Weapons take up a significant portion of your inventory and ammo takes up space too so choosing to carry and use any weapon is a significant choice so you're best off choosing your favourites and upgrading the hell out of them.

I do think though that
    A) Radar should have been an upgrade, rather than given at the start
    B) You should have started with an upgrade point or two with Sarif or someone else advising you on what you should buy depending on your playstyle, i.e., armour if you say you want to go in guns blazing or radar if you want to sneak.

So now here are the problems I have with the game:

One problem I do have is the lack of variety in enemies. Standard enemies do come in the augmented variety but the only augs they actually have is damage resistance, stealth and the Icarus landing system in one cutscene. No one has a sprint upgrade, no one uses melee takedown moves on you, no one has the tracking target aug (which would stop you being able to hide in the middle of firefights), no one has the x-ray vision aug (which would certainly put an interesting twist on stealth gameplay), no one has gas immunity (not even bosses) and no one will attempt to un-hack bots and turrets after you reprogrammed them (no one seems to have EMP grenades either) and there are some of the heavy weapons go unused by any enemies for some reason.

Enemies also have that annoying ability to be able to tell the difference between their friends footsteps and my footsteps for no good reason. Even if I'm walking in an area where they should expect to hear footsteps they'll be alerted by mine in particular. But of course moving boxes around they barely notice. It's an annoying AI quirk and I wish someone would make AI that can't distinguish between player noise and other noise to make it make more sense.

I also think the game could have used more sidequests and particularly some sidequests that are impossible to complete with certain playstyles. The main story can be finished using any combination of lethal and non-lethal force (or no force), whether you bought hacking or not etc. but as far as I know there is only one sidequest that requires you to have an aug (level 2 hacking) and none that require you to kill anyone (though there are some that request non-lethal force, which you can ignore and get shouted at, but you still complete the sidequest). I honestly thing there should have been a sidequest that is a straight-up assassination. You have to kill someone and if you don't like it your only other option is to talk to your target and convince them to flee the city, making you fail the mission. I think there should have been one that requires level 4 or 5 hacking and one that required you to be completely stealthy; not being seen, not tripping an alarm and not knocking out or killing a single person or you fail the mission instantly.

Bosses are also a problem and seem to be the most frequent complaint. Yes the original had boss battles and killing one person was mandatory but even then it was possible to kill Anna simply by hacking to find her kill phrase and saying it to her, avoiding the fight completely. Human Revolution offers no such options. Even if they just fleshed out the boss arenas a bit it would have been something like having a hackable security system you could turn on one of them or some way to flood part of the arena with gas (which you can buy immunity to), denying the boss access to it. There is one element like this in one of the boss battles but that's it. There's also a glitch that lets you do an instant takedown on one of the bosses but that's unintentional and completely broken. The bosses are also all pretty dumb. They'll repeatedly run into mines thrown in plain sight and will not adapt to the strategies you are using. They could really have used a lot of work to make them more open in how you're able to defeat them and make them less susceptible to repeating cheap tactics to beat them.

Some stuff towards the end of the game seems a bit unfinished too. There are a few jarring moments and stuff that seems to have been stitched together quickly to finish the game off. I wish they had been able to spend a bit more time polishing this stuff out. If only Valve made these sorts of games!

As a comparison to the original game. The gameplay and general mechanics are much better. Pretty much everything is. The enemy AI, the combat, the stealth mechanics, the conversation system, the inventory system and the weapon upgrade system are better I think. There is some degree of freedom lost and interaction with non-story relent NPCs is less but I think the improvements cover the losses handsomely. The loss of the skill system doesn't really bother me. In the original your effectiveness in combat depended on your skill, your augs and the upgrades on that individual gun and while not being able to effectively use a gun without that skill makes sense but the way accuracy and the targeting reticle worked in Deus Ex was one of the reasons gunplay was so godawful in the first place. I think makings augs (recoil reduction and aim stabilization) and making weapon upgrades more powerful was a better decision. As for the non-combat skills hacking could be transferred to a skill-tree type setup I guess but it wouldn't really make a difference and most of the other skills from Deus Ex were either useless or lockpicking, which Human Revolution drops entirely.

I was a bit sad over the loss of lockpicking at first but then I realised it would just be another skill for the stealth portion of the game and it would be pretty much impossible to make it logical (Deus Ex's lockpicking system made no sense) and as fun as the hacking mini-game. TBH it would have been superfluous and if there is anything Human Revolution did right compared to Deus Ex was dropping superfluous elements and trimming the fat very well. So I'm not actually sad to see lock-picking, or indeed, the entire skill system gone. In the original skills acted like your stats and augs acted like magic spells, which I think wasn't the best way to go about it. Is there any particular reason you should have to activate increased strength after buying it to lift heavy crates? I don't think so and I'm glad Human Revolution made it and most of the augs passive. Augs in Deus Ex are, as I said, magic spells. In Human Revolution they're upgrades, like they should be.

So yeah in conclusion it's a great bloody game.

Did I....
    Did I just see a Garda pushing a civilian during Sarif's ending?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great write up riomhaire, really looking forward to playing this. You should post that review in the reviews section as well

Funny that, for a relatively small part of the game, the dialogue system is great, especially if you buy the upgrade. I could actually study the characters and normally choose the correct replies. LA Noire was much more focused on dialogue, and I almost consistently got every question wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

ríomhaire wrote: »

Well,
    A, ( :P ) Deus Ex Human Revolution is reportedly selling well. Fans are saying how great the game is. A sequel is now definite. Business 101.
    B, "In the making of deus ex HR" that shipped with the game. One of the production team states how they couldnt of remade the original deus ex as it would be too hard to top.

It was definitely a business decision to set this game before the first two games. To reboot the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Burgo wrote: »

Doesnt look much different :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Healium wrote: »
    Funny that, for a relatively small part of the game, the dialogue system is great, especially if you buy the upgrade. I could actually study the characters and normally choose the correct replies. LA Noire was much more focused on dialogue, and I almost consistently got every question wrong

It was because of that one in some ways I enjoyed it so much.

I wasn't following the game much pre-launch, actually I practically ignored it because I had the mentality that it was "here we go another cash in on an old name"

2 weeks before launch I realised there was nothing else out for a while so I'd bite, and I'm glad I did. Polar opposite to L.A Noire in terms of my expectations and what it delivered on. Game of the year so far, and the biggest ones are yet to come for me, but I'll remember this one come voting time in the game awards!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Right, I know there are
    bosses. I've fought one of them
    (Barrett)
    . Currently in
    Montreal
    . Should I have met another one by now? Seems like it was ages ago since I fought him.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

No. Your close to another one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Right, I know there are
    bosses. I've fought one of them
    (Barrett)
    . Currently in
    Montreal
    . Should I have met another one by now? Seems like it was ages ago since I fought him.
    stungun
    at the ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Healium wrote: »
    Did I....
    Did I just see a Garda pushing a civilian during Sarif's ending?
    :D
    I thought I saw that too. Also a guy in a Dublin jersey in the credits. Ireland representin'!

Not sure why I spoilered that. Better safe than sorry, I s'pose

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Completed this last night.
    Great game. Worther of the name Deus Ex.

Wonder what the sequel will be like.

Personnally I'd like the sequel to take place months ahead of Deus Ex 1.

I'm replaying it atm and yes there is a lot of possibility as there are a lot of plot elements and characters that occured just prior to 1 that you dont see in the first game. These are also the plot points Human Revolution set up with its endings. The Grey Plague being released, the rise of numerous terrorist organisations and the defection of Paul Denton to the NFS could all be used in a sequel that leads directly into deus ex 1. Its pointed out that Paul had been in UNATCO for years prior to being revealed as a traitor.

I dont think they should go even further into the future after invisible war because invisible war jumped the shark with its design of a *far too distant future* while cyber punk really needs it to be that some things have changed but others have stayed the same which what makes deus ex 1 and human revolution work better in my mind.

Also its just cool being able to bring back some of the organisations of the first game (UNATCO, NFS, MJ12) and mix em with some of the groups and characters in this one.

BTW

the canon ending is:
    Taggart or the blow everything up ending right? Cause in Deus EX augmentations seem to be very restricted which is taggarts ending. But the illuminati is also in decline which would line up with the blow everything up ending. Clearly Sarif's ending did not come to pass and neither did the other one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    BTW

the canon ending is:
    Taggart or the blow everything up ending right? Cause in Deus EX augmentations seem to be very restricted which is taggarts ending. But the illuminati is also in decline which would line up with the blow everything up ending. Clearly Sarif's ending did not come to pass and neither did the other one.
    I'd assumed that Taggarts was the canon as well. Granted, there is still quite a bit of time in between the end of this and the start of the next game, and plenty could happen along the way, but it seems like the most likely to lead up to Deus Ex.

Question about the after credits scene though...
    Is it the same regardless of which ending you pick? So it's Megan Reed who creates, or helps to create, the Gray Death?

Finally, about Megan...
    What a bitch!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

On my 2nd Playthrough now, non lethal, no alarms & on give me Deus Ex & searching for the XP books.

Got the Cloak early this time, really makes it easy sneaking around.

Agree with everyone's critisim's of the battery for certain things and take-downs. I wasted some praxis points on the Typhoon and never even used it, I went to use it once, by cloaking, walking out into the middle of some guards and went to activate, flipping thing requires batteries too and ammo, queue death when cloak ran out.

Anyways, the game has exceeded my expectations, unfortunately Deus Ex 1 is not fresh in my memory at all, so almost no nostalgia factor playing it for me. I just remember it being class.

Also
    its disappointing that there was no betrayal story arch, I was expecting that the full way through, and none of them gray skinned augmented agents, the only 2 things I remember from Deus Ex

I have hope for Thief 4 now, that Eidos will do just as good a job of bringing that old gem up to date.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Also
    its disappointing that there was no betrayal story arch, I was expecting that the full way through, and none of them gray skinned augmented agents, the only 2 things I remember from Deus Ex

Yeah I had the same complaint. In part i'm slightly worried that the game gets a lot of praise for its story yet I found aside from a really well realized world and very good plotting using emails etc actual plot events are somewhat low key with a complete lack of betrayel and being put on the run.

I actually just
    got to the point in the original deus ex where you are outed as a traitor halfway through a mission and all the UNATCO guys turn on you
    I have hope for Thief 4 now, that Eidos will do just as good a job of bringing that old gem up to date.

If they keep the stealth system of deus ex and combine it with the light mechanics of the old the thief games and maybe steal assassins creed's parkour mechanics I'd be quite happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finished it, enjoyed it quite a bit, but towards the end it was getting a bit tedious having to hack every bloody door, just stocked up on AUDs and started using them on anything 4 or above.

The boss battles were a pain in the hole given the rest of the game's emphasis on stealth, the first two bosses were pretty difficult, the last two absurdly easy - third boss:
    A couple of Typhoon rounds did him in ten seconds
    , and the last boss:
    just use the laser rifle, it passes straight through her shield and she dies in about three seconds, no need to mess around with pods or turrets or whatever was going on with that central thing.

A good game, not a great game, to paraphrase Eamon Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

about megan
    what exactly did she do? i'm not sitting through god damn credits

Advertisement