Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Does turning an autoturret against your enemies count as people dying by your hand/setting off an alarm? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Swish. Got £28 cash for this in CeX, after only paying £30 in Argos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Does turning an autoturret against your enemies count as people dying by your hand/setting off an alarm? :/

Yes !!!!!! but not if it's a boss though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

about megan
    what exactly did she do? i'm not sitting through god damn credits
    We hear a meeting between Bob Page and Megan, where he asks her to start working on a nanite virus, which we can assume is the beginnings of the Gray Death from the original game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah right, i dont remember a god damn thing from the first game. gona start playing it again this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

and the last boss:
    just use the laser rifle, it passes straight through her shield and she dies in about three seconds, no need to mess around with pods or turrets or whatever was going on with that central thing.

Excellent, I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd assumed that Taggarts was the canon as well. Granted, there is still quite a bit of time in between the end of this and the start of the next game, and plenty could happen along the way, but it seems like the most likely to lead up to Deus Ex.
    I thought Sarif's ending could also be canon. With it, augmentation is developed further and this leads to the nano-technology. This technology, mixed with Jensen's DNA creates the Denton brothers. The Denton's are a military project, and Sarif's main customer is the military. So it kind of fits in when you think of it like that. Although I have to admit I haven't seen Sarif's ending yet (I'm going watch all the other endings later), so it may say something else happened.

It's just that in Deus EX, mechanical augmentation seemed fairly easy to come by, with the more advanced stuff belonging to agents.
    Question about the after credits scene though...
    Is it the same regardless of which ending you pick? So it's Megan Reed who creates, or helps to create, the Gray Death?

Yeah, I think it is.
    about megan
    what exactly did she do? i'm not sitting through god damn credits
    You can read it in the plot section on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Human_Revolution

Or I guess you might be able to youtube it.

As for a sequel, I'd like to see something based around the destruction of the Statue of Liberty and how UNATCO set up there. Playing as Paul Denton, leading up to how and why he changes sides would fit in well.

Having finished the game a couple of times, I'm kind of disappointed at aspects of it. There's just not enough to do in each area. The hubs are huge with nothing to do in them. And as mentioned before, you miss being able to complete missions by accidentally turning up in the wrong place, is a missed opportunity here.

Also, I was expecting to struggle to decide which augs to buy, but by the end I had almost all of them, and the ones I didn't have, I didn't want. I actually ended with left over praxis points.

There also isn't a whole lot of replay value to the game. I played it stealthy the first time and violently the second. Some of the choices seem really hollow. For example,
    on the occasions where you're given a choice to kill someone of not, it's almost instantly obvious that they'll help you later if you let them live.
    This makes the choice a no-brainer. And even though you have a choice on which approach to take for each mission, it just doesn't come across as free as the original game.

But I still really enjoyed the game. I know it wasn't him, but I pictured Will Arnett voicing Sarif, and that kept me smiling. :D Running around in my second playthrough, blowing people away with the revolver was possibly a little too much fun. And there's a fuzzy warm feeling whenever you successfully sneak through an area unnoticed.

It's definitely a worthy successor to Deus Ex, but could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

calex71 wrote: »
    Yes !!!!!! but not if it's a boss though.
    Ah balls, I've to do a section again methinks then, hope I saved near to before I activated it.
    Damn laziness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

humanji wrote: »
    I thought Sarif's ending could also be canon. With it, augmentation is developed further and this leads to the nano-technology. This technology, mixed with Jensen's DNA creates the Denton brothers. The Denton's are a military project, and Sarif's main customer is the military. So it kind of fits in when you think of it like that. Although I have to admit I haven't seen Sarif's ending yet (I'm going watch all the other endings later), so it may say something else happened.

It's just that in Deus EX, mechanical augmentation seemed fairly easy to come by, with the more advanced stuff belonging to agents.

The Sarif ending's flaw is
    it pushes an open and industry ran augmentations. I'm replaying deus ex at the moment and the only augs I have run into are either government or ex-government (like the bartender in hell's kitchen) and there is little to no mention of corporate augmentations. Corporate elements swing back to the biological/weapons side with versalife being more focused on ambrosia vaccine and hong kong on weapons.

Speaking of endings and I might get a bit of flaming for this but
    of the 3 deus ex games, the one thing invisible war has going for it is I think it handled the ending choices better then either deus ex or human revolution mostly because it spread them out better and required you do alot more foe each one so you couldnt just reload in the last save prior to choosing and see all the endings. It required you redo a chunk of the last level instead

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The Sarif ending's flaw is
    it pushes an open and industry ran augmentations. I'm replaying deus ex at the moment and the only augs I have run into are either government or ex-government (like the bartender in hell's kitchen) and there is little to no mention of corporate augmentations. Corporate elements swing back to the biological/weapons side with versalife being more focused on ambrosia vaccine and hong kong on weapons.
    That's true, but it's the connection with
    the Denton's that does it for me. That said, it's quite likely that there'll be a load of DLC that will blur the lines between all the endings and the sequel will be ambiguous enough so that all endings were possible.
    of the 3 deus ex games, the one thing invisible war has going for it is I think it handled the ending choices better then either deus ex or human revolution mostly because it spread them out better and required you do alot more foe each one so you couldnt just reload in the last save prior to choosing and see all the endings. It required you redo a chunk of the last level instead
    Deus Ex did it to a smaller extent too, in that you'd have made your mind up earlier in the game as to what choice you'd pick at the end.

Another thing about the Invisible War endings is that the way they are phrased, there's no real right or wrong. It all depends on your point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thinking about the endings, i realise that i actually usually hate it when games do this when there are multiple endings. It's basically do whatever you want for the entire game, and then either go right for good or left for evil. Your actions during the game should always be the deciding factor in an ending.

It wasn't so bad in HR though, as it was pretty shades of gray for all endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thought this was an excellent game until I replayed it and then you start to see flaws so as no matter how violent you get in this game the options in your conversations still try to save lives etc...
    Nowhere near the playability of the original :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My copy just arrived, can't wait to lash into it and start punching people through walls!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    My copy just arrived, can't wait to lash into it and start punching people through walls!

Will ya update us on your progress on punching later on? :D
    It's understandable though if you're too busy crying ;)

Aw is it buggy trying to punch through walls?

Aw is it buggy trying to punch through walls?

nope not buggy at all :D , it's just finding places to punch through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Great write up riomhaire, really looking forward to playing this. You should post that review in the reviews section as well
    Didn't know there was one. I'll go do that now.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    While I think "press button A for this ending, button B for this ending" was bad I don't like how explicit Invisible War is about its endings. In Deus Ex and Human Revolution you are giving your choices and how they might make a difference to the world but are just left to hope what you did was right.

In Invisible War it explicitly shows you what happens and makes it very clear to you that the Templar and Kill 'em All endings are the bad ones and the Illuminati or JC endings are either good or really fecking creepy depending on your view. None of the endings in Deus Ex or Human Revolution are good or bad and they don't show the long term consequences and I don't think they should.

It may have had the best system to earn your endings (and Human Revolution has the worst) but I think Invisible War has the worst endings.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Also
    its disappointing that there was no betrayal story arch, I was expecting that the full way through, and none of them gray skinned augmented agents, the only 2 things I remember from Deus Ex
    What about Megan? She was working willingly for the Illuminati and at the end she goes willingly to Bob Page to make the Grey Death and probably used Adams DNA to clone JC.

I got the Explosive Pack DLC and saw it's only 105k download. Mission must be tiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's quite short, but it's already on the disc i'd imagine

Ah ya that sounds right that it's already on the disk. I wonder if the upcoming DLC will be worth it as I will prob have to trade this in at some point for one of the many new releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I've composed a list of things I'd change about the game. There's nothing really spoilery other than pointing out some things that aren't in the game.
    • An EMP damage upgrade for one of the weapons (probably machine pistol, shotgun or maybe crossbow) that makes it effective against against bots.
    • More bots in more areas with computers that are better guarded and so harder to hack.
    • Enemies responding better to bots. Hacking bots seemed to be a instant win button when I did it. Some enemies thrown EMP grenades at you but I never saw one throwing one at a bot.
    • When a bot is hacked the stealth enemies should cloak and run to the computer and unhack it instead of just shooting it like idiots.
    • Enemies that thrown gas grenades should have the gas immunity aug or at least gasmasks.
    • Enemies with the x-ray vision aug. They should have no helmets and obviously augmented vision (like Gunther in Deus Ex) so you can pick them out and their cone of vision should be a special colour on the radar whenever they turned the aug on. This would have the dual effect of adding another layer of difficulty to stealth and also making the cone of vision aug more useful.
    • Make the aug that doubles the radar range also make the map details show up on the radar.
    • Make the radar an upgrade rather than given. Have Sarif give you a paraxis in the flight over to the first mission and ask you how you want to handle it. If you say sneak he advises you to buy radar and if you say go in fighting he suggests aim stabilization or something.
    • Make the pheromone release a separate aug to the social enhancer.
    • Make the punch through walls upgrade also give the option to punch through locked doors. This would make it a bit of an alternative to having to run around for codes (or waste explosives) for non-hacking characters and make up a bit for the lack of lockpicking.
    • Enemies with sprint aug.
    • Built in alternative ways of beating the bosses. Something as drastic as the kill phrases from Deus Ex isn't necessary but things like having a hackable security system in a boss arena or some system to be able to flood part of the arena with gas.
    • More sidequests including some that are simply impossible to complete without certain playstyles. A sidequest where you have to kill somone. A sidequest where if you're seen it's an instant failure. A sidequest that requires level 4 or 5 hacking etc.
    • Heavy-grade enemies using a rocket launcher occasionally in the more open areas (especially in accompanied by large bots)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I don't think there's a single thing there that I'd disagree with ríomhaire.

shiit! Started playing and after the intro where you have to go to the helipad, I decided to wonder around the offices and find missing supplies. Then I get a message saying while I was wondering around the office, the situation got worse. Should I load the last save or does that message just want me to hurry up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

shiit! Started playing and after the intro where you have to go to the helipad, I decided to wonder around the offices and find missing supplies. Then I get a message saying while I was wondering around the office, the situation got worse. Should I load the last save or does that message just want me to hurry up?

If you take too long
    the hostages die.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

lol I only realized desk drawers were searchable on my 2nd play through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

it means you were too late to save
    hostages

Ah bollox sake, reloading for me then. I wanna find out who stole those drugs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ah bollox sake, reloading for me then. I wanna find out who stole those drugs :)
    Spoiler doesn reveal who but just incase
    the guy comes to you later as a side mission

Ah not so bad if I get to investigate a bit later. Will just follow orders for the time being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Anyone find a way to turn off the hud completely? I downloaded a mod but it doesn't work.

I want to make an animated desktop wallpaper using the computer screens you see in the game :p

Just beat it today, I very happy with it. Its not perfect, I think I was just expecting it to be horrible. Its really does ring true to the original, but of course its not as good. So basically while I loved it, there was massive room for improvement with a lot of aspects. I really got the impression they cut a lot of corners with it, story line wise, scope wise and gameplay wise.

Also that epic trailer hinted at a lot of stuff and things were totally different from the trailer, they even changed the lines around. Its like they got different voice actors to say lines from random parts of the games script.
    Also "I don't even know who's side I'm on" I was really expecting a decent twist in the game as some stage, yeah there was megan but... meh. No game changer like the original, or anything about switching sides really.

The boss fights were crap. First one was the hardest initially. The ****ing 3rd boss? insta killed him with my grenade launcher. I thought the ending of the game would have been a much better fight if a swarm of bots came in but it was way too easy.

Still, I could write all day about it, but ultimately I really enjoyed it. Massive treat for Dues Ex fans. I find most SP games to be pretty bad these days personally so I'm happy enough with this considering how bad I initially thought it was going to be.

Advertisement