Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I've come to a bit where you call an elevator and have to wait while some enemies spawn and then come to get you:
    Mine template + gas grenade in the room they spawn in = LOLS!

I really enjoyed that sequence too. I had hacked a turret earlier and was carrying it around with me. I placed it to the right of the lift. Called the lift and then crouched down behind the turret. I didn't have to lift a finger :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I bought the Typhoon (and fully upgraded it) after realising I had 4 Praxis points unspent. I've yet to use it. Forgot I had it by the time I ran into the second boss who was considerably easier than the first one I thought - I have a lot of mines that got put to good use in that battle along with my heavy rifle (for all the dakkas).

I must say, I'm liking the parts where they put you in a position where combat seems unavoidable, but still leave you the sneaky options. I'm thinking of parts like Heng Sha where
    you've let Zhao get into her safe-room and the guards come storming in
    or where you're
    heading back to Heng Sha and the jet gets shot down and you have to act quickly to save Malik
    . Lots of options to take-down and/or just shoot mooks depending on your preferences and that's the way it should be.

My copy of Space Marine just arrived, so I'm going to have to get this game finished tonight cause I don't see myself playing anything else for a while once I start choppin' orkses up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Huge Dues Ex fan, not really feeling this too well. Thought once I bought it I would be hooked but Im struggling to keep playing, they need to throw some unavoidable conflict into it because I feel myself mousing about too much to conserve my good guy role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gandalph wrote: »
    Huge Dues Ex fan, not really feeling this too well. Thought once I bought it I would be hooked but Im struggling to keep playing, they need to throw some unavoidable conflict into it because I feel myself mousing about too much to conserve my good guy role.
    Huge Deus Ex fan, yet yearning for some unavoidable shooting? Hmm, did that even exist in the first game? :) I'm fairly sure every scenario could be ducked out of, even some of the boss fights (yes, that one again).

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Shiminay wrote: »
    I must say, I'm liking the parts where they put you in a position where combat seems unavoidable, but still leave you the sneaky options. I'm thinking of parts like Heng Sha where
    you've let Zhao get into her safe-room and the guards come storming in
    Heh that was fun. I just tossed a gas grenade into the centre of them and knocked out all but three of them. Then tranq'd the remaining ones without getting spotted. Felt like a real ghost for that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huge Deus Ex fan, yet yearning for some unavoidable shooting? Hmm, did that even exist in the first game? :) I'm fairly sure every scenario could be ducked out of, even some of the boss fights (yes, that one again).

Yeah, that's kinda illogical. Deus Ex is one of my all time faves, if this new game forced you into a path that meant you couldn't stealth, it wouldn't be a Deus Ex game IMO.

I'd been doing a mix, personally. Mainly stealth but when I felt like killing, I did.

At the part Shiminay mentioned I just timed everything and stealthed past everyone without getting noticed, even when it feels like a combat heavy section, you can still play it differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in deus ex 1... after the 'ton

is it possible to kill gunther and escape, or is the game forcing me into the prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Shiminay wrote: »
    I bought the Typhoon (and fully upgraded it) after realising I had 4 Praxis points unspent. I've yet to use it. Forgot I had it by the time I ran into the second boss who was considerably easier than the first one I thought - I have a lot of mines that got put to good use in that battle along with my heavy rifle (for all the dakkas).

First time i used Typhoon
    was after the first meeting with Zhao Yun Ru and after she goes into the panic room and summons about 12 guys, i sprint down with cloak activated and hit typhoon. i got every single one of them 12-15 can't recall, was epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've just reached the 2nd quest hub. Place seems enormous compared to the first. Really enjoying the game so far. Have gone with a stealth approach mainly, other than shooting a few thugs just to see what a firefight was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

in deus ex 1... after the 'ton

is it possible to kill gunther and escape, or is the game forcing me into the prison?
    It's impossible.
    He has infinite health. I once managed to trick him into fighting the rest on the UNATCO troops. He slaughtered all of them (including the heavy bots) and I just watched. It was pretty funny. In the end though you have to let him capture you to continue.

• Advertisement

ah right, well i'd given up on that after a few tries :)

I just got to hong kong.. roughly how far into the game am I? ive been playing for about 9 hours so far, but it feel like there's quite a bit more to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

ah right, well i'd given up on that after a few tries :)

I just got to hong kong.. roughly how far into the game am I? ive been playing for about 9 hours so far, but it feel like there's quite a bit more to go
    Not half way through yet, think I spent about 25 hours in it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really enjoyed that sequence too. I had hacked a turret earlier and was carrying it around with me. I placed it to the right of the lift. Called the lift and then crouched down behind the turret. I didn't have to lift a finger :)

I did this a lot, I usually carried hacked turrets with me as far as I could. In the fight against
    Jaron Namir where he is prancing around naked with the plasma rifle, I managed to bring a turret with me.
    That was funny. I felt a bit like I was cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nor do the bosses themselves have any relevance or connection with Adam Jensen or the plot: they just show up and start shooting. Hell, I didn't even know the name of the second boss until I saw the achievement I got for killing her.
    They are the mercs who bust up the Sarif lab at the start of the game, the third boss is the one who shoots you in the head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

KilOit wrote: »
    First time i used Typhoon
    was after the first meeting with Zhao Yun Ru and after she goes into the panic room and summons about 12 guys, i sprint down with cloak activated and hit typhoon. i got every single one of them 12-15 can't recall, was epic

I threw a gas grenade, got everyone :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They are the mercs who bust up the Sarif lab at the start of the game, the third boss is the one who shoots you in the head.

Someone's already mentioned this, and as I said to them, I know who they are and when they previously turned up, you couldn't miss them at the start; my specific problem is that as characters they are utterly vacant & pointless - they have no tangible relationship with what's going on. They're very much the square pegs in a game of round holes.

Everyone else in the game are fairly rounded characters with varying degrees of depth. These mercs just feel like an arbitrary decision by the devs to throw in a boss fight for the laugh.

Like I also said, the female merc doesn't even speak, and I only found out her name after getting the achievement for offing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Someone's already mentioned this, and as I said to them, I know who they are and when they previously turned up, you couldn't miss them at the start; my specific problem is that as characters they are utterly vacant & pointless - they have no tangible relationship with what's going on. They're very much the square pegs in a game of round holes.

Everyone else in the game are fairly rounded characters with varying degrees of depth. These mercs just feel like an arbitrary decision by the devs to throw in a boss fight for the laugh.

Like I also said, the female merc doesn't even speak, and I only found out her name after getting the achievement for offing her.

I think the only reason they are there is for a sense of payback, probably the thinking behind the game only letting you past by killing them.

Let's face it, if some guy threw you through a window causing so much injury you had to become half robotic to even live, would you really just shoot him with tranquilliser darts when your paths crossed again? :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    [...]

Let's face it, if some guy threw you through a window causing so much injury you had to become half robotic to even live, would you really just shoot him with tranquilliser darts when your paths crossed again? :D

God no! I'm much more malicious than that. I'd just let him rant away for a few minutes, compose myself & simply say the words "Laputin Machine", before walking away to the sound of him exploding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Completely agree with you...compared to the original where you worked side by side with Gunther/Anna/Simmons and got to know their personalities by talking to them/reading their emails etc Human Revolution starts to rapidly fade away in comparison.
    It's very much as poor man's Deus Ex 1 as you could say.
    Hopefully they address a lot of this in the next one ( bring back skill points for weapons, get to know characters etc)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm reading the prequel novel Icuras Effect. The personality of the characters is shown there. For example Namir is Isreali and a former member of Mossad, had to go on the run with his wife and 2 kids when Isreal was wiped out by a Pan Arab invasion sometime before the events of DX:HR. He lives in London with his family and manages to successfully run a double life, an ice cold professional mercanary on one hand and loving family man on the other.

There is also 6 members of the Tyrants (the name of the group). One of them is a certain Gunther Herman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Azza wrote: »
    I'm reading the prequel novel Icuras Effect. The personality of the characters is shown there. For example Namir is Isreali and a former member of Mossad, had to go on the run with his wife and 2 kids when Isreal was wiped out by a Pan Arab invasion sometime before the events of DX:HR. He lives in London with his family and manages to successfully run a double life, an ice cold professional mercanary on one hand and loving family man on the other.

While that's nice and all, and I'd be interested in reading it, it's not part of the game at all, and shouldn't be taken into account when judging the depth of the game characters. Because there isn't any in the game (for the bosses).

(I'm not saying you're saying it should be but you know what I mean)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, tbh, big game releases are featuring other "media" to help tell the story more and more. You'll see games getting Penny Arcade to do comics for them or you'll see a short film/animated bit introducing you to things (Assassins Creed 2 and Dead Space did this very well). I don't fully agree with how it's been implemented here in DX:HR, I didn't even know there was a book. They should've included it as a pre-order bonus and released it a month ahead of the game so that everyone who'd pre-ordered would have had a chance to read and talk about the characters and so that people would have some sort of connection with them and know their story before (what seems to be universally agreed is a very, very weak implementation of) the boss fights in the game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You can get all the info off the Deus Ex wiki site.

Gives background info taken from the book and the 6 part comic, which is set during the events of DX:HR, right after the Barret Boss fight actually. (Part 1 came free with the augmented edition)
    The book was out several months before release.

If your interested in getting either the book or comics then the wiki site is full of spoilers so avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Finished my 2nd playthrough on Hard, non lethal and no alarms. Damn it was tense waiting for them all to pop.

When I get the DLC, I am gonna go on a killing spree in the game, I haven't seen any of the lethal takedown stuff at all.

Very impressive game overall I must say again, loving the soundtrack, can it be purchased anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Finished my 2nd playthrough on Hard, non lethal and no alarms. Damn it was tense waiting for them all to pop.

When I get the DLC, I am gonna go on a killing spree in the game, I haven't seen any of the lethal takedown stuff at all.

Very impressive game overall I must say again, loving the soundtrack, can it be purchased anywhere?

Still on my first playthrough, the only time I went lethal was when
    you get a chance to save Malik

The explosive revolver is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

TomCo wrote: »

Managed that non lethally, with gas and tranq gun, many many reloads.
    Then when I eventually managed it, I just reloaded and snuck past and one of the mercs was dead, think the exploding mech killed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

TomCo wrote: »

The explosive revolver is a serious piece of kit, love the power of it!

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Managed that non lethally, with gas and tranq gun, many many reloads.
    Then when I eventually managed it, I just reloaded and snuck past and one of the mercs was dead, think the exploding mech killed him

that **** took *so* many reloads
    i had to burn so many energy bars on takedowns, but god damnit she was getting out of there alive!. on my first play through I just ran away, assuming she'd be ok but then ... yeah.

spoilers here if you did save them and are waiting to not save them on another playthrough

and later on in the game i came across her body laid out dead being scavanged for parts... that **** hit me hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

that **** took *so* many reloads
    and later on in the game i came across her body laid out dead being scavanged for parts... that **** hit me hard.
    yeah I saw that too. It actually quite affected me! Very nice touch.

Advertisement