Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

that **** took *so* many reloads
    i had to burn so many energy bars on takedowns, but god damnit she was getting out of there alive!. on my first play through I just ran away, assuming she'd be ok but then ... yeah.

spoilers here if you did save them and are waiting to not save them on another playthrough

and later on in the game i came across her body laid out dead being scavanged for parts... that **** hit me hard.

I just thought "wow she is really good condition considering they blew up her plane. I then threw her around the room.
    compared to the original where you worked side by side with Gunther/Anna/Simmons and got to know their personalities by talking to them/reading their emails etc Human Revolution starts to rapidly fade away in comparison.
    It's very much as poor man's Deus Ex 1 as you could say.
    Hopefully they address a lot of this in the next one ( bring back skill points for weapons, get to know characters etc)

Couldnt agree with this more however. Sums up what was missing in the HR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i just got past simmons in dx1.. love to know how the hell you could have done that without killing him

just running like a mad man?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

i just got past simmons in dx1.. love to know how the hell you could have done that without killing him

just running like a mad man?

Yep I ran away from him. He caught up with me later in the game and I blew him up with a plasma rifle but afaik you could of run away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Traded this in yesterday after finally finishing it. My thought:

It had a good story, nothing fantastic, but a nice futuristic spin on an age old recipe.

Graphics were amazing, if a bit yellow.

The BEST soundtrack to a game this year, the Sarif Website theme is a beautiful piece of music, and will be the song i will think of from now on when i hear Deus Ex being mentioned.

The ending(s) were meh.
    I honestly thought that after slaughtering all the "crazy" people would have had at least a negative comment from Pritchard, but, nothing.

I played a run n gun game, and that even involved a **** load of sneaking. I will never have any intention of playing through it again to get those 2 achievements for not setting off an alarm and not killing anyone. Fook that.

Overall, a good game, but not good enough to make me want to play it again.

well, got as far as im gona go in deus ex 1

the same thing pissed me off about it as with HR, **** ending choices although with human revolution at least the last level didn't make me want to break my own arms rather than play the game.
    dont know why its annoying me so much, but it is. and i'm just stopping here. whichever of the ridiculous cut scenes I would have chosen I'll just watch on youtube later. great game up until now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Managed that non lethally, with gas and tranq gun, many many reloads.
    Then when I eventually managed it, I just reloaded and snuck past and one of the mercs was dead, think the exploding mech killed him
    When I played that part an enemy threw a grenade that hit a pillar straight in front of him and blew himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

well, got as far as im gona go in deus ex 1

the same thing pissed me off about it as with HR, **** ending choices although with human revolution at least the last level didn't make me want to break my own arms rather than play the game.
    dont know why its annoying me so much, but it is. and i'm just stopping here. whichever of the ridiculous cut scenes I would have chosen I'll just watch on youtube later. great game up until now though.
    What do you hate multiple endings in general or just the choices you've been given?

the choices themselves just annoyed me. and i found out there's no awful cut scene, just a still image with a 'deep' quote. less annoying than HR, but still... grgh.

ill play through it all again in a few months, and then again a few months after that, i finished it in about 23 hours so I probably missed a few things, and I'd like to do more exploring now that I know the game generally. I was getting lost and flustered some of the time, in hong kong especially, so once I saw the way to an objective I just took it.

after that I'll crack into DXHR again when it'll be fresh enough and I know enough of the original game to be able to recognise all the small things from DXHR that reference it.
    kinda wary of invisible war after all the bad review's i've seen of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

the choices themselves just annoyed me. and i found out there's no awful cut scene, just a still image with a 'deep' quote. less annoying than HR, but still... grgh.

ill play through it all again in a few months, and then again a few months after that, i finished it in about 23 hours so I probably missed a few things, and I'd like to do more exploring now that I know the game generally. I was getting lost and flustered some of the time, in hong kong especially, so once I saw the way to an objective I just took it.

after that I'll crack into DXHR again when it'll be fresh enough and I know enough of the original game to be able to recognise all the small things from DXHR that reference it.
    kinda wary of invisible war after all the bad review's i've seen of it

I loved the DXHR ending. I think it depends how you role play the game. Personally, I played it with hatred of what happened me and the people who covered up their involvement
    including sarif
    . I killed who I wanted, bust the heads of those who irritated me, and got my revenge on the mercs who were part of the assault.

Therefore the
    destroy panchea ending fit my character perfectly. Nobody was leaving that place alive and considering that bitch Megan betrayed me, she was going down too regardless of the cost of myself. It was perfect, no care for what happened humanity but a fitting ending for a story of personal revenge

You can probably tell I get very immersed in games like this!! :D

megan wasn't on panchea though, she was off in detroit living it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

megan wasn't on panchea though, she was off in detroit living it up
    just shows how drunk I was when I finished it! :D she was in the omega ranch? Oh well, I didn't spot that and was well satisfied to catch her in my act of jihad lol damn you for ruining my interpretation!!! :P

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Dark I'm going ruin it some more for you.
    You need to watch the entire end credits or at least youtube the end credits.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Everywhere I go eventually ends up a slaughterhouse-monument to my lack of patience. :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was playing the Malik side-quest and managed to get the guy to talk. 100% completion. No violence, not a drop of blood spilled.

Something about that didnt feel right so I saved and shot the guy in the face. The Hive goes nuts, lights, sirens, augs everywhere and Malik shouting "Jesus Christ Jensen, I didnt say KILL the guy!??".

Jensen deadpan reply "Would you believe it was an accident?"

DeV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had a similar problem with that mission when you have to hack a terminal. There was a bouncer with across the area with line of sight to the terminal and in order to hack it he had to go. This usually meant violence of some sort resulting in mayhem.

In the end I put a box on the bar to break his line of sight.

when i had to hack that terminal the bouncer just looked at me and didnt say ****

i think cos it was for a quest, they just made that bouncer an idiot for those few minutes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He could only see you out of the corner of his vision, which in gaming terms is 'sneaky like a ninja'.

actually this reminds me of something I was very happy with about dx1
    it was either last night or the night before, but i had snuck into a club in paris and was spotted crawling through the bouncers office. I laughed it off as crappy AI when he just said "get out" and didnt try to stop me entering the club.

then a while later as I was leaving the club through the main door, he shakes me down for 300 credits or he'll call the guards cos i snuck in.
    was impressed :)

re:the guard at the hack-box in The Hive.

I had exactly the same problem, never thought of the box because I was impatient and just gunned everyone down. :)

I rationalised it by remembering I was short of ammo. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Finished it last week and while it is a decent game, I wouldn't be gushing over it and recommending it to everyone. Granted I didn't like the original, and most of the things I didn't like about the original are significantly improved here.
    Graphics wise (on PC) it is pretty good. Story wise it is ok (apart from the ending but I'll get to that in a minute) and even the things that I thought would annoy me from the the previews didn't bother me that much, well apart from the battery issue, and having to carry around massive amounts of chocolate just to knock out more than one person or punch through a wall etc.

As for the ending
    It was as an executive played through it, didn't understand what happened throughout the game and said "you know what, I didn't understand it. Maybe you could have a recap of what had gone before for people who weren't paying attention. I couldn't believe that they have Eliza Cassan recap the whole story, and then to make it worse, the whole ending is decided by which button you push. It would have been so much better, if the end-game was decided by how you played through the whole game, or even just how you played the last few sections, or even if depnding on how you solved shutting down the transmitter
    If I was to give it a score (without the ending), I would say 8.5 out of 10 maybe.
    However with the ending I would knock it down to 7 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I played through this game without reloading. If I ****ed up soomehow, I would have to deal with it. Which inevitably ended most parts with a shoot-out. I didn't mean to murder everyone in the police station but they opened fire first. I realised later they must have seen me through a window hacking a computer. Although the odd time you make it through a section with stealth alone on your first play through is awesome! Playing through the game like this makes it a bit stupid though. At one stage I blasted my way into a convention center, starting shouting at some guy making a speech and nobody did a thing. It doesn't make sense. My disbelief of this game's world could no longer be suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Dacelonid wrote: »
    If I was to give it a score (without the ending), I would say 8.5 out of 10 maybe.
    However with the ending I would knock it down to 7 or so.

How can a game drop 1.5/10 due to a bad ending :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Grimebox wrote: »
    How can a game drop 1.5/10 due to a bad ending :confused:
    Because I could have just played the last section and still know what the story was, that is poor story telling. To me it was like reading a book, and then in the last chapter, the author decides to recap everything again

a game like deus ex, the story matters.. and I hated the ending too.. dunno if i'd take 1.5 marks for it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Okay I'm seriously considering getting this and I think I know quite a bit about it but I need a few questions answered to clear some things up that are important to me.

1. How good is the shooting action? It's important to note that I generally dislike typical FPS war games like COD and whatever else. I usually stick to alt like The Darkness or Far Cry 2 and Bioshock n' such. I saw some gameplay of Deus Ex HR and it looks quite typical in terms of FPS action...

2. How much depth is there to items, upgrades, stats and the like?

3. I'm evil. Is there much fun to be had being evil in this game?

4. How much replay value?

5. Is this a game I can take my time with? Much to explore, side quests, etc? Or is it short and linear?

6. New game+?

7. Are there many populated, non-hostile, commercial-like areas where you can buy things and just blend into a regular kind of life for a moment, or is the game mostly corridors of hostile bags of meat that I shoot?

8. Can I sit down on chairs? (don't ask)

(1) i've played 2 playthroughs so far, and I only killed about 4 people at the very start of the first one so can't really give a good judgement on the shooting but from what little experience I had of it.. it was fine :)

(2) not a huge amount really, you get to upgrade your abilities through your augmentations and you have weapon mods for your weapons (accuracy, recoil, laser sight).. maybe more I didn't go shooting so I just sold them when I found them. stats, none. just.. none.

(3) you can kill just about everyone in the game I think

(4) quit a bit, like I said earlier. 2 playthroughs without even touching the gunplay element of the game.

(5) there's a bit to explore, but the areas are.. cramped, with the illusion of depth. there are a lot of computers to hack and emails to read to get the stories and get a real feeling for the world (they did this pretty well). there aren't all that many sidequests, but those that are there are generally a decent length. I got 28 hours out of my first playthrough, and i wasn't neccesarily trying to pad it out.

(6)... what?

(7) there are weapons vendors to buy/sell stuff and uh.. in hong kong at least there's a hotel complex you can kinda mingle around in but.. not really. there are a lot of npc's walking around having conversations you can listen to if that's what you're after, and they can be cool. you can walk around the streets of detroit/hong kong to your hearts desire too without having to kill anyone.

(8)no.

1. Shooting is pretty good imo, especially once you get some upgrades. It's a cover based system.
    2. There's a fair selection of weapons and upgrades, but a lot of the upgrades are kind of useless.
    3. You can kill loads of people, but i don't think it makes much difference.
    4. There are a few choices, but the main replay value is to play it a different way (i.e. stealthy)
    5. Yeah, theres a fair amount of stuff to do. It's no Fallout, but you'll get 25 hours if you take your time. Lots to read too.
    6. Nope (i think)
    7. Most of the city hubs have shops (well, a med clinic and a black market), and there are loads of people around. Most are useless though, and will only say 1 line of dialogue.
    8. Nope...why would you want to?

There you go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

1. How good is the shooting action? It's important to note that I generally dislike typical FPS war games like COD and whatever else. I usually stick to alt like The Darkness or Far Cry 2 and Bioshock n' such. I saw some gameplay of Deus Ex HR and it looks quite typical in terms of FPS action...

I did very little or no shooting first time round but I started an evil second play through. For a cyborg you're not much of a super soldier so you have to to be careful. The upgraded silenced pistol and revolver are great fun.

2. How much depth is there to items, upgrades, stats and the like?

Not as much as in DX1 but you have to "buy" abilities such as cloaking, increasing jump height, enhancing hacking ability in a fun little minigame and the usual armour and combat related stuff.

3. I'm evil. Is there much fun to be had being evil in this game?
    Yes, tho the story assumes you're playing nice and doesn't seem to adjust terribly well at times. Some of the enemies have a moral cause and are not just your typical hire-a-grunt, so pissing on their parade can be fun. Also there is a lot of morally gray stuff. Doing something good might lead to nasty **** down the road.

4. How much replay value?
    I'd say you'd want to play it at least a second time at least to see some of the alternative routes.

5. Is this a game I can take my time with? Much to explore, side quests, etc? Or is it short and linear?

Quite non-linear for a modern game but not spectacular historically. There are side quests in the city hubs but a few more would have been nice. There is a good bit of exploraton, even in the various main missions where there are many paths to your objective.

6. New game+?
    ?

7. Are there many populated, non-hostile, commercial-like areas where you can buy things and just blend into a regular kind of life for a moment, or is the game mostly corridors of hostile bags of meat that I shoot?

Two main city hubs which you visit a couple of times. They're a little small compared to some modern games but you can stroll about chatting to the locals learning interesting things.

8. Can I sit down on chairs? (don't ask)
    No, but you do have a swish apartment.

i hated that apartment
    it was so ****ing far away from everything, i was never bothered going there

• Advertisement

i hated that apartment
    it was so ****ing far away from everything, i was never bothered going there

I loved the apartment. Loved the way the light came in through the blinds...reminded me of something from Blade Runner for some reason.

Needs a new mirror though :pac:

Advertisement