Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

5uspect wrote: »
    Heh, were they Canons?

I just
    hit him with the Typhoon and dropped a load of frag mines around the room as I ran away. He was dead in seconds.

I died a good few times against this guy, before i found the easiest way of beating him and made him a crap boss:
    3 gas grenades and 1 clip of assault rifle
    ... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Managed to break the game, the bit where you upload the virus into a security computer terminal... I had already hacked that terminal so when I access it again nothing happens with the virus... :(
    Halp!
    You don't use the computer to upload the virus! Look more closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Just finished the game now. Gonna hop right in to replay Deus Ex 1, and yes even Invisible War after that, to get the full story of this awesome universe in one go :D

So, for those that have finished,
    which ending did you choose? I went with the KABOOM option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just spotted this on reddit, explains why the boss battles are shit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You don't use the computer to upload the virus! Look more closely.
    Ya I got the same answer on the Steam forums, I facepalmed. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ciaran500 wrote: »

So the outsourced them to a 5 year old? Bloody hell is he annoying. :mad:
    He even admits not having a about Deus Ex. What a clown.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

One thing I will say about the boss fights, is even if you did go for a stealth only approach with few lethal weapons your not stuck when you get to the boss fights.

There is always enough ammo in the arena's to kill the bosses. Even on the hardest difficulty. Like alot of video game bosses, there only difficulty on the first play through and even without using exploits these bosses are very easy if you know what to do.
    Barret can be killed by lobbing 2 green gas canisters at him followed by 2 red canisters If hit him directly the 4 canisters combined will kill him There quite a few canisters in the arena. There is a video of this fighting ending in under 25 seconds.

In the arena where you fight Yelana there is several lockers with emp mines and guns. I missed these myself because I had the gold highlighter turned off. If you have the aug that protects you from emp you can shoot out the power generators to get free shots at her or trick her into destroying the generators with the claymore attack.

Plenty of weapons in the drawers (which I missed because of the highlighter being disabled) and scattered around the room when you fight Namir too. Not to mention the take down glitch kill or bringing in a turret to assist you.
    I'm also pretty sure you can use stun weapons to kill them off, after you weakend them with normal guns.

Still agree the boss characters where undeveloped in terms of background personality.

But it should be noted the orginal story was better set up to develop boss character personalities. Because you worked with these characters at the start of the game. It let you organicly interact with them.
    The bosses in HR are a black ops team. Secrecy is there M.O.

In DX it was true you could avoid boss battles, you can avoid Navara twice and Simons once, but your still forced to fight and kill them eventually.
    With Herman you where forced into 2 boss battles (the first one you can't win) the second you have to kill him.
    The only difference is that you can use kill codes to kill Herman and Navara without having to fighting them.
    Technically there is non lethal options for Simons, Navara and Herman but they all invlove exploits and the game continues on as if they where killed.
    The developers always mean't for those 3 characters to die.
    Maggie Chow you can tranq or kill on 2 different occasions. You can also avoid her on the second occasion. None have any effect on the story.
    Howard Strong is another boss. You can tranq him but he still dies unless you go out of your way and move the body.
    Bob Page is slightly different. You don't fight him directly. But one of the endings has you kill him. Another kills him indirectly and the third leaves his faith unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

5uspect wrote: »
    So the outsourced them to a 5 year old? Bloody hell is he annoying. :mad:
    He even admits not having a about Deus Ex. What a clown.

I don't think he can blamed for the boss battles being poor. He did alright with what he was given. The game just isn't tailored to classic boss battles. The player can have any number of skills/weapons when they come around

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The boss battles werent bad for boss battles in generally.... but the fact is that boss battles are bad bad bad in games in general (imho).

I've got NO dermal armour at all and I'm walking through these bosses. the Typhon is pretty much a boss beater. Two shots and the female boss pretty much keeled over (I shot her with my 10mm for the sake of irony).

I think why people object to them is that the world is really cool and well balanced for the main part, and you feel like you really ARE free to take a few different "routes" to achieving some objective. While the boss battles are simple, constrictive and linear. They have one way of doing them (damage in some way shape or form) and you cant go out to play in the city until you're homework is done.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DeVore wrote: »
    . I like the shotgun but I dont like the look of it (what was wrong with something double barreled?

DeV.

for owners of the augmented version :D I love it ;)

The Huntsman Silverback is a double-barrel shotgun with break-action loading. The weapon will fire one barrel at a time, or both if the player activates its burst-fire mode

Doubleshotgun-side.png

You also get the silenced sniper rifle (The Longsword Whisperhead Suppressed Extreme Range Sniper Rifle (SERSR) )

Silentsniper-side.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't the silenced rifle a pre-order exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    Isn't the silenced rifle a pre-order exclusive?
    Augmented edition exclusive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just on the boss fights and Yelena.
    I ran straight up to her, stunned her with stun gun, stood behind her and continued to stun her and after several stuns she dies. How is this not a total and utter waste of time and effort? They paid guys to do this?? Not to mention that vid with the 2 photocopiers. Pathetic.

They should have added optional find kill code missions or some kind of optional side missions that resulted in laying a trap to capture them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Ciaran500 wrote: »

"I'm a shooter guy, not knowing much about the Deus Ex world...."

facepalm400w.jpg

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

So was I the only one who carried a rocket launcher around for practically the whole game? I really feel I deserved a achievement for that.

I suppose the real reward was shooting people in the face with rockets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I carried the crossbow around and never used it once. I also only started to use the PEPS at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Creature wrote: »
    So was I the only one who carried a rocket launcher around for practically the whole game? I really feel I deserved a achievement for that.

I suppose the real reward was shooting people in the face with rockets.

I feel there was a complete lack of requirement for certain weapons. For example, you get the Plasma Rifle near the end and it has practically no use. Like many others, i used mainly the 10mm and sometimes the assault rifle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah i carried a rocket launcher around for a good bit of it too, it had more usefullness in dx1 though

i carried the rocket launcher around for the entire game.. made inventory management a ****ing stressful experience.. but it sved me having to waste precious lockpicks

"hrm, a locked door.. let me step back five paces and press 6"

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Azza wrote: »
    In DX it was true you could avoid boss battles, you can avoid Navara twice and Simons once, but your still forced to fight and kill them eventually.
    With Herman you where forced into 2 boss battles (the first one you can't win) the second you have to kill him.
    The only difference is that you can use kill codes to kill Herman and Navara without having to fighting them.
    Anna is the only person you have to kill and you can do so with her kill phrase. You don't really have to fight anyone in the game if you try hard enough to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I feel there was a complete lack of requirement for certain weapons. For example, you get the Plasma Rifle near the end and it has practically no use. Like many others, i used mainly the 10mm and sometimes the assault rifle.

Yeah I agree. I never used those late stage energy weapons either. I only really used the rocket launcher for taking out the big robots or bosses. Or for scripted events where you face a lot of enemies like in
    Zhao's penthouse
    . Of course the occasional indulgence too.

• Advertisement

When you meet Navara in UNATCO HQ for the final time she's guarding the exit door with the key on the upper balacony.

If you stack boxes to reach up to the balacony and throw grenades at her, she will sometimes run out the door to evade allowing you to run out and bypass fighting her.

However the game assume that you killed her.

Herman and Simons can also be avoided by use of exploits.

But in all cases the game assumes you have killed them and the story carries on as such.

The game designers never mean't for these characters to survive.

Howard Strong has to be moved after you tranq him or he will die when the rocket is launched.

If you where really anal about it as well you should move any enemies you knocked out aboard the tanker you scuttle as well :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Anna is the only person you have to kill and you can do so with her kill phrase. You don't really have to fight anyone in the game if you try hard enough to avoid it.
    Out of curiosity, and I'm too lazy to Google it for myself, but where did you get the killphrase for Anna? I got Gunther's all-right, but never came across Anna Navara's own password.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, and I'm too lazy to Google it for myself, but where did you get the killphrase for Anna? I got Gunther's all-right, but never came across Anna Navara's own password.

neither did I actually...I'm actually back playing it again..the graphics look desperate when you start playing but 5 mins into it and you're thinking "if only other games were as good as this" and you don't even think about the graphics once the gameplay sucks you in..

it's in the first computer in anna/gunthers office, I got it (but not gunthers) when simons was interrogating the nsf prisoners so .. wasnt at the very start, but wasn't too far in either

i made that bitch eat a rocket to the face though, so.. *shrug*

i think it's
    laputan machine

shame you can't just press t, type that and kill her that way :p

I think Anna's is split between her own computer and Manderly's. Its FlatLanderWomen.

Gunthers you get if you ask Jamie to remain at Unatco during your escape.

There is also a few graphics mods thay make DX 1 look better.

DX 10 mod with new lighting effects and a mod that replaces 75% of the games textures with higher quality ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

It really sucks when you think you've been non-violent the whole game, but don't get the Pacifist achievement. Goddamn! Especially as I'd planned to uber-Rambo my way through my eventual second playthrough.

P.

Exploding bots are the number 1 cause of failing at that achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

it's in the first computer in anna/gunthers office, I got it (but not gunthers) when simons was interrogating the nsf prisoners so .. wasnt at the very start, but wasn't too far in either

i made that bitch eat a rocket to the face though, so.. *shrug*

i think it's
    laputan machine

shame you can't just press t, type that and kill her that way :p

Wasnt it something like
    flatlander woman
    ?

Thats totally from memory, havent played the game since it came out.

yeah i was wrong, my one was for gunther

i realised soon after I made my original post, but hoped no one would call me out on it

bastard

• Advertisement

Damn..I downloaded the wrong texture mod..

here's the dx9/dx10 New Vision mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless-mod/tutorials/improving-deus-exs-graphics-with-mods

Advertisement