Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

******BOSS BATTLE THREE*****

Read this to save your sanity

Ok there are no spoilers in this but I am going to describe how I did this fight because it will drive you freakin mental like it did me.

I'm playing what I think of as a "stealthy lethal" approach. I have no dermal armour because I am refusing to run-and-gun it but I will head shot/bury guards and I've put most of my augs into hacking etc.

So, boss battles are hyperghey because if I get pinged I'm dead... no armour see.
    The baldy skin headed little dipsh*t is almost impossible and I've been playing shooters for nigh on 2 decades now. I almost lost my reason with him.

Here's how I put the "Deus Ex" back into this boss battle (and I'm disgustingly self-satisfied about it :) )

First, hack the turrets down in the garden area. Now pick one up and drag its ass all the way up to the lift. Dump it in the lift and ride up. When the lift door opens, place as many frag mines as you can get your hands on, all over the area to the left where he appears. Thats a little welcome for the pr*ck.

Now face the turret forwards the room and shuffle it forwards until the cut scene activates. Lead him over to the turret... and well, personally I reordered my inv and reloaded all my weapons and put them in damage order while waiting for the hairless wonder to eat hot lead. You can pass the time as you see fit, just beware of his grenades.

Such a dumb fight, but this trick at least got me past it. And yeah, I'm pretty bloody-minded about this sort of thing :)

DeV.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't get why people don't get the dermal armor upgrade even when doing stealth runs. On my stealth run I used it because I messed up the stealth part often enough that I had to do some combat through out the the game.

The boss battle are do-able without it thow. There is youtube video's of no item and dermal armor fights against the bosses. (no items starting the fight and just picking up weapons in the arena.)

There is also the take down glitch and also the ability to pre the arena with 4-5 mines at Namirs spawn point to instantly end the fight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got to the first boss lastnight and now understand what people have been moaning about, simpe solution, got myself a trainer and used infinite health for the boss.
    Obviously disabled that afterwards, cant be arsed meesing about with silly bosses that ruin the experience more than anything else.
    Once past the first boss the games awesomeness shines through once more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

how far in is the first boss battle so i can prepare for him, Im doing a stealth run through with my stun gun. Might need to upgrade my augs before i meet him. Im currently trying to figure out how to get into the police station. I annoyed the cop at reception (prick)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

tonydude wrote: »
    how far in is the first boss battle so i can prepare for him, Im doing a stealth run through with my stun gun. Might need to upgrade my augs before i meet him. Im currently trying to figure out how to get into the police station. I annoyed the cop at reception (prick)

He's a couple of main missions in. You'll be sent out on a another mission with Malick, he's at the end of that mission.

As already mentioned the Typhoon is a good option for dealing with them and there are environmental objects to use against him.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »

Ok there are no spoilers in this but I am going to describe how I did this fight because it will drive you freakin mental like it did me.

I'm playing what I think of as a "stealthy lethal" approach. I have no dermal armour because I am refusing to run-and-gun it but I will head shot/bury guards and I've put most of my augs into hacking etc.

So, boss battles are hyperghey because if I get pinged I'm dead... no armour see.
    The baldy skin headed little dipsh*t is almost impossible and I've been playing shooters for nigh on 2 decades now. I almost lost my reason with him.

Here's how I put the "Deus Ex" back into this boss battle (and I'm disgustingly self-satisfied about it :) )

First, hack the turrets down in the garden area. Now pick one up and drag its ass all the way up to the lift. Dump it in the lift and ride up. When the lift door opens, place as many frag mines as you can get your hands on, all over the area to the left where he appears. Thats a little welcome for the pr*ck.

Now face the turret forwards the room and shuffle it forwards until the cut scene activates. Lead him over to the turret... and well, personally I reordered my inv and reloaded all my weapons and put them in damage order while waiting for the hairless wonder to eat hot lead. You can pass the time as you see fit, just beware of his grenades.

Such a dumb fight, but this trick at least got me past it. And yeah, I'm pretty bloody-minded about this sort of thing :)

DeV.

Way too much hassle, you can take him out in seconds using a takedown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

any time I tried to takedown a boss they just grabbed me and beat the **** out of me

i used dev's method too, after trying to kill the ****er for about an hour beforehand

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah...
    I took the upgrade.... even though I knew, I KNEW it would be bad. i'm kind of a sucker for augs, I have almost everything now :)
    So, my usual method of Typhooning the sh*t out of them wasnt available and I didnt dare get close enough for a take down because of no dermal armour.

Besides, I felt like it was more "Deus Ex" to find this kind of solution :)

Btw, Eidos said it will not be outsourcing stuff like that for the DLC. I dont think they are happy about the reaction to the bosses...

DeV.

ps: I took the "no dermal armour" route as a personal challenge, I'm not much for doing the Trophy things, but I like to play within constraints of my own devising sometimes. I'm weird that way :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Btw, Eidos said it will not be outsourcing stuff like that for the DLC. I dont think they are happy about the reaction to the bosses...

They said in a interview with rock paper shotgun or eurogamer (not sure which) they did play test the boss fights. The feedback was they where fun and not frustrating. I can imagine if the play testers where not familiar with Deus Ex, boss fight might appear okay. The complaints after the release where the boss fights where Deus Exy enough.
    DeVore wrote:
    ps: I took the "no dermal armour" route as a personal challenge,

Sounds to me like you where not up to the challenge. Should one not expect there would be consequences if they choose a specific route of augmentations. Like difficulty spikes in certain area's if they over specialize in a certain play style?

Personally for me, any game with boss fights I expect to die several times before cracking them, otherwise I'd be complaining they were too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Azza wrote: »
    They said in a interview with rock paper shotgun or eurogamer (not sure which) they did play test the boss fights. The feedback was they where fun and not frustrating. I can imagine if the play testers where not familiar with Deus Ex, boss fight might appear okay. The complaints after the release where the boss fights where Deus Exy enough.

Sounds to me like you where not up to the challenge. Should one not expect there would be consequences if they choose a specific route of augmentations. Like difficulty spikes in certain area's if they over specialize in a certain play style?

Personally for me, any game with boss fights I expect to die several times before cracking them, otherwise I'd be complaining they were too easy.
    I don't get why everyone was complaining, I went stealth in my first play through on hardest difficulty with no armour or typhoon.
    All bosses have weaknessess.

First boss can be destroyed by throwing cannisters.
    Second boss simply by dodging and letting her run into the walls that electrocute her.
    Third boss laser rifle destroys him through the glass/hiding around corners his shadow shows up even when invis.
    Final boss, laser rifle destroys her with less than one clip without any bots or crazies around

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

I said it earlier, and i'll say it again, 2 x gas grenades and 1 clip of the assault rifle. Oxo.

I don't get why everyone was complaining, I went stealth in my first play through on hardest difficulty with no armour or typhoon.
    All bosses have weaknessess.

First boss can be destroyed by throwing cannisters.
    Second boss simply by dodging and letting her run into the walls that electrocute her.
    Third boss laser rifle destroys him through the glass/hiding around corners his shadow shows up even when invis.
    Final boss, laser rifle destroys her with less than one clip without any bots or crazies around

Why can't we just have a chat and a cup of tea? Why do I have to be violent?

Because that doesn't make for an interesting boss fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Because that doesn't make for an interesting boss fight.

In a game that puts as much focus on stealth though, why include a "fight" though? Why not just an equally difficult stealth section, or dialogue section?

Can't let people choose a route down one way, then tell them their way is "wrong". Boss fights should be hard for people who went the combat route, but for those that didn't there should be... something else.

There can be other difficult challenges that test you on the role you've been playing.
    Of course you shouldn't be able to hack your way through the game in its entirety but multiple options should be there. The boss battles only allow for violence, nothing else. You can't just run away (with some suitable penalty for your actions) or use some information you learned after some pretty tricky sneaking against the boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

5uspect wrote: »
    There can be other difficult challenges that test you on the role you've been playing.
    Of course you shouldn't be able to hack your way through the game in its entirety but multiple options should be there. The boss battles only allow for violence, nothing else. You can't just run away (with some suitable penalty for your actions) or use some information you learned after some pretty tricky sneaking against the boss.
    To be fair who would try and avoid the people that came into your workplace, killed loads of workmates, kidnap the woman yer still hungup on and the guys who blew you to bits.

If thats me I'm going after them and their kids.

To be fair who would try and avoid the people that came into your workplace, killed loads of workmates, kidnap the woman yer still hungup on and the guys who blew you to bits.

If thats me I'm going after them and their kids.

Sure, but you're not given that choice. Imagine that you could find out where their family live and either go there and tell them what daddy did, or murder them all, or use your knowledge of their location to blackmail the Merc?

There is plenty of room for being a total vengeful ****. But I like choices in how I get to be a ****.

Why not just an equally difficult stealth section, or dialogue section?

I'm curious to know how would one go about making making an equally difficult stealth section?

As for a dialogue section. I don't think you could convince the mercs not to fight you or talk them out of their actions. Perhaps if you could wound them or disable their augmentations you could force them to surrender. Perhaps hack some enviormental system or secuirty system that forces them to surrender.

Having said that I don't think you should be able to talk your way by a boss consistently. A one off would be okay. But it would simply be too easy.
    5upect wrote:
    Sure, but you're not given that choice. Imagine that you could find out where their family live and either go there and tell them what daddy did, or murder them all, or use your knowledge of their location to blackmail the Merc?

Only works if the boss has a family. Jaron does for example, Yelena doesn't.
    Option 1 could work if their family was logically located nearby (in Jarons case they are in London, so it would not really work in his case).
    Option 2 I don't think any game would dare allow you to do for fear of nagative press.
    Option 3 Could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm curious to know how would one go about making making an equally difficult stealth section?

As for a dialogue section. I don't think you could convince the mercs not to fight you or talk them out of their actions. Perhaps if you could wound them or disable their augmentations you could force them to surrender. Perhaps hack some enviormental system or secuirty system that forces them to surrender.

Having said that I don't think you should be able to talk your way by a boss consistently. A one off would be okay. But it would simply be too easy.

I agree to an extent, I found the way you could talk your way past all of New Vegas' bosses a bit strange, but in a way rewarding for putting all those points into Speech.

I don't have an example of a hard stealth section, then again I'm not a game designer. There are far more creative people than I in the world, many in the gaming industry, I'm sure they could pull it off if they really tried. It's just that it's like the game is punishing you for not choosing the fighting option, when often the fighting option is actually the easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

DeVore's example is a good one, and it's a shame the game wasn't designed to lend itself to such solutions. Makes sense plotwise, makes sense gameplay wise, boss is dead, Jensen lives, everybody's happy.

For those saying that that boss was easy... I put 1500 laser into him and um.... nada. The turret took like at least 60 seconds to kill him if not more, they drop me in about 3.

I flung mines into his spawn area too pre-cut-sequence.

I felt like I was kinda subverting the game with my tricks but then I thought "how very Deus Ex" :)

If I were the writers/designers I would have used the characters but more as cut sequences or potentially avoidable "bosses". Let me explain my version:

1. Stealth, you sneak about... get the information you need (like location of Hengsha apartment) and move on... cut sequence later of "boss" getting shot for obviously being in cahoots with you.

2. Hacking... similar to above but through sending a false-flag email or similar.

3. Social... talk to some kind of minder who tells you his weakness (like he has a gambling addiction) and you socially engineer some triad boss to kill him for supposedly saying he'd "never pay".

4. Fight him. straight up b*tch slap him.

5. A variant of the above, where if you snoop about you learn which guns have more effect on him/her or what environment things they are weak against, which gives you an edge in the fight.

Simples.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Did you aim for the head with the laser? It eats straight through him. I beat him with pretty much just gas mines to stun him and then laser headshots.

didnt try the gas grens... I should have! Didnt think they would work on him tbh and I was so bloodyminded about it I hauled that turret all the way up muttering darkly under my breath like Mutley after not getting a medal :):)

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    For those saying that that boss was easy... I put 1500 laser into him and um.... nada. The turret took like at least 60 seconds to kill him if not more, they drop me in about 3.

I flung mines into his spawn area too pre-cut-sequence.

I felt like I was kinda subverting the game with my tricks but then I thought "how very Deus Ex"

If I were the writers/designers I would have used the characters but more as cut sequences or potentially avoidable "bosses". Let me explain my version:

1. Stealth, you sneak about... get the information you need (like location of Hengsha apartment) and move on... cut sequence later of "boss" getting shot for obviously being in cahoots with you.

2. Hacking... similar to above but through sending a false-flag email or similar.

3. Social... talk to some kind of minder who tells you his weakness (like he has a gambling addiction) and you socially engineer some triad boss to kill him for supposedly saying he'd "never pay".

4. Fight him. straight up b*tch slap him.

5. A variant of the above, where if you snoop about you learn which guns have more effect on him/her or what environment things they are weak against, which gives you an edge in the fight.

Simples.

DeV.

DX 1 lacked most of those well.

Anne Navara, you have an opportunity to kill her on the plane. Then a optional fight in the subway where you can kill her or evade her. Final battle is either a fight to the death or a kill phrase.

Maggie Chow, you have an opportunity to kill or stun her in her apartment or do nothing, or kill, stun or run away from her in the UC lab in Hong Kong.

Gunther Herman, you have a required boss fight you can't win and must loose. Then a second battle where you either fight and kill him or use a kill phrase on him.

Howard Strong, you have to either kill or stun. If you stun him and want him to live though you have to go out of your way to rescue him.

Walton Simons, you can evade him once, then your must fight and kill him.

Bob Page, you don't directly fight him but one ending has you assassinate him, another kills him indirectly and the third ending leaves his fate ambigious.

Evading the bosses in DX 1 only bought you time. You had at most 3 options but normally only 2 when confronted by a boss and normally both options resulted in your opponents death.

The combat option while the sole option in DX:HR was more interesting than the combat option in DX 1. Kill phrases while a novelty are not a concept I'm build all my boss battles around.

Your suggestions are fine, but I don't think DX 1 bosses where Deus Exy enough either.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Not a bad substitute I guess:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://kotaku.com/5844574/play-another-free-deus-ex-prequel

saw this on kotaku today, if anyone's interested in giving it a run through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Got to barrett just there, beat him on 4th attempt. used pillars as cover, peaked out and stun him and threw the explosive barrel at him repeated his with all the barrels. Then stunned and pumped about 20 rifle bullets into his head and down he went :D

Just finished it. Very cool... I chose to
    tell the world the truth, it seemed like the choice to make given the state of the worlds governments :)... I must admit I thought long and hard about killing everyone including myself but it seemed a touch bleak...

Great game, kinda weird end boss. I tooled up to the hilt and in the end, didnt really need to. So slick... its the first game lately that I think I will gladly pay for DLC just to have a bit more original content.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those chasing the pacifist achievement - how on earth did you guys make it through that last location? To me, it seemed deliberately tailored to fook with people's desire to get that achievement:
    corridors & corridors, full of crazed civilians. In some cases there wasn't even an alternative route past them - I simply had to engage them

Advertisement