Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Having a tough time deciding whether to get this game or not. I'm well aware of how good people say it is, but it's out of my usual genres and it just seems like it's one of those games that is overhyped. So could anyone tell me what it's like? How long it is, and if it was overhyped or not. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I dont think there were huge expectations for it, I definitely didnt have much hope tbh, but it turned it out to be pretty great for me anyway. Story + Sidequests added up to 20 hours. really cool settings too if you enjoy cyberpunk futuristic cityscapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Wing126 wrote: »
    Having a tough time deciding whether to get this game or not. I'm well aware of how good people say it is, but it's out of my usual genres and it just seems like it's one of those games that is overhyped. So could anyone tell me what it's like? How long it is, and if it was overhyped or not. Thanks in advance :)

Well im one of those that loved the orginal Deus ex. Was told about it way back after it had already been out a few years, played it on my old pc and it firmly stuck its place in my top 3 games of all time.

When this one was announced, at first I had no hope for it but after the reviews and acclaim it received I couldnt wait to play it.

Ended up being a game I thought was good but over hyped. Compared to the original it just doesnt compete. Its really dumbed down, far to easy, and the story is poor.

The dumbing down was probably what annoyed me most.

If I had played this as a person new to the series id probably love it but in the end Im just annoyed at it really.

A game which I didnt want to end, partly because it is a really good game and partly because the story stayed **** and never really got any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well I was bored to tears after about 50% through the original but this was excellent start to finish. Plus it's going for half of what it was at launch so not a big risk. Mind you I played it stealth on the hardest setting from the outset, I don't think I would have got as much out of it if I played it all guns blazing on easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Thanks lads, seems the general idea is that it's worth it. I'm getting it for 22 quid so even then not much of a loss. Thanks again lads! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thanks lads, seems the general idea is that it's worth it. I'm getting it for 22 quid so even then not much of a loss. Thanks again lads! :D

For 22 euro you'll have your monies worth no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Finally finished it there last night and while a solid game I cannot understand all the hype. While playing (stealth mostly) it reminded very much of a FP Splinter Cell. I also got a distinct whiff of Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay off of it. This is not meant as a criticism since they are for the most part decent franchises (Conviction being an exception) but I had an unnerving sense of deja vu nearly all the way through. Now this may be those games ripping off the original DX (haven't played it but I will) but that's the impression I got from the game.

I also had a problem with the environments, they just didn't feel lived in, even the sewer sections were kind of sterile. The hubs also felt strangely barren, lots of samey NPC's walking around but not much to do considering their size, a big misstep IMO.

My biggest criticism however is the plot, it has some very interesting ideas and concepts but the actual telling of the tale was hamfisted and hokey. In all seriousness if you couldn't tell who the bad guy was from about half way through then you weren't paying attention. As for that final level, it was a massive let down, we've been hearing about this place throughout the entire game and it turns out to be a seres of overly familiar corridors and labs only this time they are
    infested with "zombies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

In all seriousness if you couldn't tell who the bad guy was from about half way through then you weren't paying attention
    He's actually easy to miss, he only has a brief appearance at the start and a voiceover post credits... :p

The other "bad guys" you see, only puppets and pawns!

Dooo dooo dooo... dunn dundundundun dun dunnnn dun dun dunnnnn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

Can't believe people are complaining about this game without mentioning the boss battles! Jesus they were woeful. Other than that its a decent game, no GOTY but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hi guys,
    Is there a way to save that female prisoner in the Missing Link DLC (not the ones being gassed, the specific one you can converse with? (I ended up having to say "sorry" and leaving her)
    Seems like there might be, but I don't see an achievement for it online anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Finished it there yesterday. Quite enjoyable! The ending was a bit predictable but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Found it a bit easy though. Played it on whatever the hard difficulty was. Not tooting my own horn or anything, but I didn't find the boss fights all too challenging, and I finished with 4 unused praxis points.

Had totally no use for a majority of the weapons, though I did approach every level with a stealth approach.

Well worth a play anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

£14.95 with Mega Monday on Zavvi.com

Think I might have some of that...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

KonFusion wrote: »
    Finished it there yesterday. Quite enjoyable! The ending was a bit predictable but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Found it a bit easy though. Played it on whatever the hard difficulty was. Not tooting my own horn or anything, but I didn't find the boss fights all too challenging, and I finished with 4 unused praxis points.

Had totally no use for a majority of the weapons, though I did approach every level with a stealth approach.

Well worth a play anyway.

It's not that they were particularly hard, it was that they forced you into an aggressive and confrontational play style where the only option was to fill them with death. Choice in how you dealt with these characters would have been much better. Heck if they were interesting characters (at least as interesting as the book makes out) in the first place would have helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Got this as a Christmas present today, been meaning to buy it so a nice surprise. Seems pretty good so far from the little amount I've played, chose the tranquilliser sniper for the first level which I've kind of regretted and finding stealth gameplay a bit awkward but only early days and I'm sure it'll improve with experience & augs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Just a heads up. This is only 17 quid on gamers gate today. Just came across it:

http://www.gamersgate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

For me its way overhyped. Again, dumbed down and not a patch on the original which I think is one of the finest games ever. It may play better on a PC though, played it on PS3 and didn't even bother my arse to finish it.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a great game - for the most part. I'd say the first half of the game is pure Deus Ex - full of different avenues, characters, sub-plots / quests and secrets. The second half feels like the dev team ran out of ideas and it becomes a fairly linear shooter. Where at the start you get to wander around some pretty open & expansive city 'hubs', they quickly disappear and you're shoe-horned into one-path areas.

That said, the first half is worth the price of admission alone. In terms of 'world building' Deus Ex deserves a shout. It's rare I walk through levels in a game and it feels like a real place. The dev team really deserve praise for that as each level is full of clutter & has that sense of being lived-in.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Dumbed down....how exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

After about 8 missions I am suddenly getting very bad load times on Xbox .... unplayable really. Taking me approx 3/4 mins to load anytime I die or moving to next mission.
    Was fine up to this point.

Reinstalled game to hard drive but has made no difference. Also tried playing directly off the disc - same/worse. Moved my save files - same thing.

Any ideas????

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could it be a similar problem to that seen on the PS3 with Skyrim? The save game file itself being responsible for the poor performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

keith_d99 wrote: »
    After about 8 missions I am suddenly getting very bad load times on Xbox .... unplayable really. Taking me approx 3/4 mins to load anytime I die or moving to next mission.
    Was fine up to this point.

Reinstalled game to hard drive but has made no difference. Also tried playing directly off the disc - same/worse. Moved my save files - same thing.

Any ideas????
    Clear the cache?? A quick google will tell you how to do it.

Hopefully that's it - don't want to have to go back using a very old save file!
    Will try when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Azza wrote: »
    Dumbed down....how exactly?

Compared to the original?
    Computer/ATM/Security codes are a prime example..whereas in the original you had to scrawl though notes etc to find the code here in this version it's all laid out nice and neatly for you within your sub menu's.
    Started off loving it and then disliking it as I got further into the game..it's not a patch on the original unfortunately...still better than 2 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As this is the first Deus Ex game i played, i don't have much to go on, other than it's a solid experience. I personally think the music alone is worth getting this game, the best music to setting i've ever had in a game. Can't count how many times i've sat back and listened to the Sarif Website theme blaring through my headphones.

As for the game, i played mostly as gunning, and it was solid. Nothing groundbreaking. But enjoyable. The stealth does seem like a fun approach, but i don't think i'd have the patience for it. Settings are lovely, and it does immerse you. I really felt i was there, in that time. The idea/setting pulled me in, loving the idea of augmentation. I reckon that a setting like HR isn't too far into the future (doubt it will be in my time though :( , would love a sword hidden in my arms!) and it really got me hooked, love the idea of the game in general.

The story was good, and most main NPC's are well thought out too. But, like pixelburp said it turns into a linear game about half way through. And the less said about the ending the better, i was very disappointed by the ending(s). Overall though, well worth €17. Just don't expect it to be game of the decade as some will lead youn to believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

now go play the original :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Remember how kids used to come up to you asking for money in the first one? And you could just shoot them in the head if you wanted? How did they ever get away with that?!! Not like Fallout 3 and its annoying little invunerable brats.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

now go play the original :)

I just might, if i can get it for PC and there are mods to make it look better!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I picked it up on sale for €17. Looking forward to giving it a go, never played a Deus Ex game before.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Blazer wrote:
    Compared to the original?
    Computer/ATM/Security codes are a prime example..whereas in the original you had to scrawl though notes etc to find the code here in this version it's all laid out nice and neatly for you within your sub menu's.

That sounds like an improvement.

But anyway have played through DX 1 several time I can't recall having to spend any significant amount of time scrawling for codes.

Its an incredible minor difference either way.

• Advertisement

Worked a treat!

Advertisement