Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Worked a treat!
    A rule of thumb; If in doubt, clear the cache and if that fails then disconnect from XBL/unplug the cable. That usually seems to work. I know this and I dont even have an xbox.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Haven't played this game in a while but I'm kind of baffled why people keep praising the first one over it. Yes, for it's time it was a mind blowing game. I recently went back to it and after completing DXHR I ended up bored after half an hour. Just to note that my first play through of deus ex had me entertained for weeks so I'm not bashing it in anyway ;)

Times and gaming move on and as much as classics are classics it's quite unfair to hold them as a standard against modern sequels to them (or prequels in this case). I love Streets of rage for example but a modern version with as much fun in it would not make me start picking flaws in it compared to the original. Appreciate the fact the series is still very much alive.

This game in my opinion was a solid and enjoyable game from start to finish. People may complain about the bosses because of the stealth, but in terms of the story, stealth is not really a canon to what's going on. It's personal revenge, and one very justified by the events of the game.
    If you were ****ed through a solid glass window by some prick and had your girlfriend murdered by him (until you find our the truth 20 hours later :D), would you honestly just want to tranquilise him when you get your chance for revenge? Not to mention the ending in which you kill everyone matches perfectly with this ethos when you discover the betrayal and as a repayment for the forced augmentation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved the game, but i agree that it's not a patch on the original. Maybe there's a hint of nostalgia in that for me, but considering the original is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made, it's not that bad to not be as good as it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally gave this a go last night after getting bored of Skyrim,
    trying to get into the morgue in the police station and I badly messed up talking my way in and then even more idiotically I chose to break into the place from the roof only to realise the morgue is in the basement :rolleyes: A bit stupid that the police shoot on sight but decent stealth gameplay so far, sneaking through 5 floors crawling with police with no augs is proving a good challenge, reminding me a bit of the first Deus Ex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I have it on xbox 360 and it freezes at random points and the sound keeps looping over and over again until I press the power button twice on my xbox 360.
    I have tried clearing the cache, installing to my harddrive and deleting from harddrive and it still freezes.
    It could sometimes go for an hour without freezing and at other times it could freeze again within a few miniutes.
    Has anyone else experienced this or is it my 360 that is screwing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

worth buying for $7 euro on amazon? iv never played the first one so will i be missing out much having not played the first one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Being a prequel, you'll miss buggerall. And for $7? Holy balls, yes, it was worth full price.

Edit: I should probably mention it gets pretty philosophical at points. If you're looking for a straightforward stealth/shooter game, you may be disappointed by the large dialogue sections. Personally, I found them awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah 7quid is an absolute steal; it's a gem of a game. Brings a lot of good things to the table.

Kinda freaky that this thread is updated though: I was thinking only today there has been a distinct lack of talk on any future DLC for DeusEx. There was that sole portion around the time of launch, but since then - nada.

I wonder if the game didn't ship as many as Eidos had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is the DLC for this worth getting? The one about regaining 3 lost days seems interesting (although I haven't gotten that far in the game yet!)

Really enjoying what I have played of it. Loved the original but couldn't warm to Invisible War so this has been a welcome return to form.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing through it at the moment too, and after years of cynicism and stubbornness towards Deus Ex sequels, I must admit this is a rather good game. It isn't devoid of shortcomings (flow breaking loading times and the infamously dodgy boss battles being the most prominent so far) but it is the rare game that genuinely empowers the player to do what they want. Apart from the prologue (where I thought the murdering was mandatory :() I have played the stealth game, leaving no bodies in my wake. And, in a rare break from tradition, the game seems to actively encourage that approach. Mirror's Edge seemingly encouraged pacifism, but constantly punished you for making that choice. Here, the game rewards you, and that is often thrilling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Didn't have an issue with load times (played on PC), and I thought the boss fights where fine. Didn't matter what way you where speced, there was always enough equipment in the enivorment to defeat them. Would of appreciated some none lethal options though, though would of been abit silly if you could avoiding them completely.

The only thing is that it seemed to reward stealth more than combat (get more XP for doing things stealthly), thought it should of been equally balanced but only a minor complaint. Probably my game of last year (although had I played the Witcher 2 last year, it would of been close)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm currently played the original Deus Ex for the first time and I think Human Revolution is better so far. I know I'm horribly wrong, but I'm actually right.

The stealthy approach is most welcome all right. The multiple routes and the refreshing lack of signposting also make it very interesting. The variety of augmentations is still puzzling me a bit - super jump anyone?! - so I'm playing it safe with cloaking and hacking for the time being.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Super jump is great for a stealth approach, one of my handiest augmentations. Plenty of bits when you can just jump your way to the vent or backdoor.

Strangely, its the dedicated 'stealth enhancers' that seem a tad useless to me. Much preferring beefing up my hacking and conversational skills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My total commitment to an all-stealth approach hit a massive brick wall when all I had to fight the first boss with was my tranq and stun gun. I still think, to this day, the boss fights were the most ham-fisted attempts to sabotage an otherwise great game in years.

Would love to spend more time in this world, wish there was news of more DLC or a sequel (to the prequel!)

pixelburp wrote: »
    My total commitment to an all-stealth approach hit a massive brick wall when all I had to fight the first boss with was my tranq and stun gun. I still think, to this day, the boss fights were the most ham-fisted attempts to sabotage an otherwise great game in years.

Would love to spend more time in this world, wish there was news of more DLC or a sequel (to the prequel!)

They were out sourced to a different company. What were they thinking. At least you could scavenge guns around in the boss fight to help you.

pixelburp wrote:

As I said there was enough equipment in each enviroment to beat the bosses. The first boss just required chucking barrels at him. Yeah it was dissapointing you couldn't knock them out but you couldn't go all stealth or entirely non-lethal in the orginal either.

Ops my bad Grimebox.

But I never said that quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I am about to start this game this week. It is in my PS+ backlog and I just finished playing splinter cell HD and really feel like giving another stealth game a run. Looking forward to it, despite what I have read about the boss battles.

It's a really significant design flaw though - the one aspect of an otherwise beautifully designed game that sticks out like a sore thumb. It damages the consistency of the title, and at distinct odds with the freedom and agency offered to the player throughout - as Edge put it, being shoved into an awkward arena battle after hours of open, thoughtful design.

It's not a game killer (and I've only got to the first one so far, having just arrived in China) but the boss battles are a curiously limp failure in one of gaming's otherwise empowering recent titles. After excreting so much effort and patience to sneak and hack my way through a secret facility, ending up having to **** a load of grenades at a superman was more than a little inelegant.

• Advertisement

It's a really significant design flaw though - the one aspect of an otherwise beautifully designed game that sticks out like a sore thumb. It damages the consistency of the title, and at distinct odds with the freedom and agency offered to the player throughout - as Edge put it, being shoved into an awkward arena battle after hours of open, thoughtful design.

It's not a game killer (and I've only got to the first one so far, having just arrived in China) but the boss battles are a curiously limp failure in one of gaming's otherwise empowering recent titles. After excreting so much effort and patience to sneak and hack my way through a secret facility, ending up having to **** a load of grenades at a superman was more than a little inelegant.

I'm at the same point!:)

The boss did irritate as I was enjoying the break from having to look down the iron sights like most other action games. Once I found the weapon cache I wasn't as irritated though! It was more the fact that I wasn't packing anything that could damage the guy that annoyed me. Seemed like a ridiculous oversight! The scene jarring with the rest of the game I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Nothing there that I could disagree with. However, it wouldn't be the first game I played where the boss battles are poorly integrated. As long as it is not a game killer, I think I can look past it. I will be building a character based on stealth, so if the boss battles are too hard I will just gamefaq it. I am happy to gamefaq when I feel the problem is with game design rather than my playing.

Lol you should see the crazy lengths people went to in the orginal game to avoid killing people.

The designers never intended the player being able to avoid the final possible confrontation with Anna Navarra. She was guarding a locked door and had the key on her. You had to kill her to get it.

But someone came up with the crazy idea of stacking a load of boxes below the balcony she was on then chucking a grenade at her at precises angle that caused her to try to avoid it by running out (thus unlocking) the door allowing the player to leg it by her.

I did only just mention I was playing the original for the first time :o I guess you either turn on UNATCO or Anna turns on you

Azza wrote: »
    As I said there was enough equipment in each enviroment to beat the bosses. The first boss just required chucking barrels at him. Yeah it was dissapointing you couldn't knock them out but you couldn't go all stealth or entirely non-lethal in the orginal either.

Ops my bad Grimebox.

You couldn't no, but the original did compensate by giving you alternate ways to fight, such as the kill-phrase for Gunther Hermann. The structure of the game also meant you could break the linearity in places (eg, I killed Anna on the airplane in the very first level). On the other hand, Human Revolution had sections where the it very deliberately railroaded you into a single room for a bout of fisticiffs; it just broke the immersion imo. You could certainly tell it was outsourced (though this part I always found weird - why outsource such a specific, single element of your game?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Grimebox wrote: »
    They were out sourced to a different company. What were they thinking. At least you could scavenge guns around in the boss fight to help you.

While since I played it but you could fire bomb at him or something too I think? Or explosive containers or something?

Another most minor of concerns:

As awesome as I know I am jumping off high buildings and landing with nary a scratch, I don't necessarily need to see the animation every single time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

As long as you carry 3-4 high explosive packs at all times, the boss fights merely become an irritant. The constant switch to 3rd person for takedowns, punching through walls, and the Icarus slowfall thing really got on my nerves though, I'd have loved a way to either turn them off completely, or even just have them play half the time.

Genuinely challenging game, and so many times one choice excludes something else you could have discovered, so well worth playing twice or more to see what you missed out on. And I really loved how deep the conversations went sometimes. Challenging the receptionist in the police station near the start, or
    facing down William Taggart at the conference in front of the world's press
    was as exhilarating as any shootout. Not perfect, no, but Deus Ex 3 is really bloody good.

Finished it last night and enjoyed most of it. There's definitely rough edges. More imaginative augmentations would have been welcome. The levels definitely descended into formula towards the end - slightly more challenging, but you're never really facing massively different obstacles (and there's a lot of conveniently localised gas leaks :pac:). Could definitely have used more variety in the level and visual design from time to time. And, like its predecessor, its disappointing that the
    ending is determined entirely on the last half hour
    :(

Still, a lot to like, and it's overall a tightly designed, empowering game. The basic hacking and sneak gameplay kept me engaged for the extended running time. The city hubs are highlights of the design: always fun exploring the backstreets and locked doors. China especially is a tad confusing geographically, but mostly they're fun to explore. The story goes overly convoluted towards the end, but plenty of fun espionage, double-crosses and twists in there.

It's been years since I've played the original, which I absolutely loved, but from my (admittedly rose-tinted) recollections its openness was a step or two above what Human Revolution offers. But this is still a welcome sequel, and the rare twenty hour plus story-driven game that successfully hooked me for its duration. It's the kind of game you can get lost in for hours on end, and for a game to so successfully engross you in its world is certainly an achievement worth noting.

Also, was reading the destructoid review which claims that the dual takedown was useless - WRONG (although for some bizarre reason doesn't work if one of the potential victims is sitting down) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

about the dual takedowns, it was bloody neccesary in that part where
    you had to rescue wotsername from that downed helicopter

there was just no way to take down/snipe all the people quickly enough without one or two dual takedowns. felt like such a badass when I did that bit

Advertisement