Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PC Gamer, among loads of sites have released a load of information on the game. Seems as though an embargo is now up.
    Some very interesting details in the two articles.
    First one is a general article about how it all plays.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-hands-on-the-first-ten-hours/
    The second one is the first of three articles about how you can play the game as a cyborg psychopath, as the author puts it.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-diary-the-psychopath/

I can only assume that the other articles later in the week are gonna tell about how it is to play all 'stealthy' and all 'talky.

Looking really good. And most importantly, it feels like a Deus Ex game.

For those looking for preorder the Collector's edition on PC which comes with everything the Augmented edition does, as well as the figure of AJ too you can find it over on the Gamestop website for €89 (+€2 delivery too). One of the cheapest places I've seen it around. Headshot, you might want to change your preorder now. ;)

After listening to the two PC Gamer podcasts (interview and discussion) on the game, I dont think I could be more excited about this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,265 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For those looking for preorder the Collector's edition on PC which comes with everything the Augmented edition does, as well as the figure of AJ too you can find it over on the Gamestop website for €89 (+€2 delivery too). One of the cheapest places I've seen it around. Headshot, you might want to change your preorder now. ;)

You know me to well :D

can that price be gotten in the shop out of interest?

I haven't got a clue to be honest. Drop them an email at hello@gamestop.ie or hit them up on twitter to see.

Usually, retail stores aren't given a price until closer to release day. That's what happens with GAME anyway. That's why I never ever preorder with them and they've shafted me a good few times when I turn up to collect a preorder and they dont have it or have given it away.

Gamestop are really good with delivery for release day, I've found. With the standard shipping of €2 I've yet to receive the game after release day after 4 orders with them. I've never gone for the express delivery but there are plenty of people on here who have gone for it and have gotten their orders a day or two before the release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im liking the music! Really hope this is good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's a great trailer. Really liking the music they've had in their trailers, and in the few tracks we've heard so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At the rate these explosive trailers are coming out, I'm concerned - are the trailers simply overly action-centric because of the market they're trying to aim at, or is it just because there really is that much shooting in the game. Think at this stage a few leaks and playthrough would be a good thing, hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Theres a journalist preview of it leaked with a chunk of the game playable so we should start to hear some honest opinions of it soon. I'm not optimistic :/

I'm actually quite looking forward to it. Once i heard that you can disable the highlights on objects, i was really happy. Of course the trailers are going to be combat and story heavy. That's what a trailer is for. I think we are going to have to accept that it's probably not going to be as good as the original, but from the looks of things, it should be a hell of a lot better then the 2nd.

I'll wait to read some more hands on before ruling it out, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

pixelburp wrote: »
    are the trailers simply overly action-centric because of the market they're trying to aim at, or is it just because there really is that much shooting in the game.

I've been keeping a close enough eye on it and it looks like it's gonna be broad enough. You can complete the game without killing anyone except bosses apparently. And there's some good videos on youtube of playthroughs and devs talking about some of the options. So yeah, I think it's just to try and appeal to the CoD fans.

I'm really looking forward to it, and have some high hopes. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

I couldn't resist it, had a go. Plays pretty well. I skipped Deus Ex Invisible War, so I can't compare it to that, but it seems to capture the feel of things well.
    Loved the little musical flourish from UNATCO Liberty Island HQ! It's also rare that you can get penalised for arsing around too much instead of going straight to the mission.
    Maybe too many cutscenes interwoven with the gameplay, but it's not too immersion breaking. Really enjoyed the conversation with the first "boss" Zeke.

It's like Deus Ex was dipped slightly in current generation cliches like wall cover and whatnot, but with enough interesting plotlines and core gameplay mechanics intact to set it apart from your average FPS. I can see the hacking either becoming very strategic or just dumbed down depending on how the difficulty curve is.

Just my random mumblings after the first hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm, the temptation to have a look at the pre-build..........naaah, I resisted Crysis 2's leak and I'l ignore this.

Anyways, maybe an aul gawk of some new youtube gameplay will do :)

Plus this is kind of piracy is never good for single player games.

been steering clear of pretty much anthing that has come out in the last two weeks. Other than stuff from PCGamer. No spoilers. My mind has been made up. I'm not cancelling my Augmented edition preorder and am going to be avoiding spoiler talk, even previews from now on. As far as I can manage at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was tempted to get the pre-build, but people have been saying that since it's only a demo of the first few hours and there's a lot of place-holder graphics in it, I think I'm happy enough to wait it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GaylaBells02

i cried on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GaylaBells02

yes, really

It's a shame that the early version was leaked, but i don't think it will have to big an effect on the actual release. Definitely staying well away from it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, so I have "a friend" who downloaded and played 2-3 hours of the leaked build, only as far as the end of the first (in effect, training) mission, then stopped as to not spoil the rest. Those leaked pre-builds aren't fair on the devs. In summary? It's Deus Ex allright, and in my eyes worth a punt at the very least.

Rambling thoughts in bullet form:
    • In the main, it has the traditional Deus-Ex multi-path gameplay, with just some additional 2011 shooter mechanics. It's hard to tell because only the first mission was played - so by its nature it probably wasn't as complex as later ones - but generally you're free to play, converse & explore. Prior to the mission, you get to run around a hub ala UNATCO in Deus Ex 1, so lots to explore there. Now having said all that, there were still large rooms where the only option was to get into a shooting match, but at no point was there a feeling of "this doesn't feel like Deus Ex". Except for ...
    • The takedowns. They are infuriating. The ability to turn off object highlighting was a great gift from the developers, but skipping / turning off the takedowns should have been given. They utterly break the flow, particularly as the cut-scene breaks the context of the moment (eg, a goon who was crouched behind a box is suddenly standing up waiting to be smacked in the face). Caveats about it being a leaked pre-build, but they're still annoying. Furthermore, the fact these takedowns require energy means clearing a room stealthily can take forever, waiting for a battery to recharge just so you can knock a guard out. Seemingly there are no melee weapons for knocking out opponents; I don't need implants to bop a guy on the head ffs.
    • Played in the hardest difficulty mode - "Deus Ex" mode - means the regenerating health isn't that big a deal. In fact, it only take 2/3 consecutive shots & you're dead. Plus as an augmented human, your health regenerating- for once - kinda makes sense. Combat's tricky enough as the AI seemed to be smart-ish. Again, hard to tell as it was the first level & just some disorganised goons.
    • The multi-choice dialogue is still there too, and nicely done. You chat, make choices of response (and unlike a certain mr. LA Noire, you know what it is you'll actually say). Once more, enough wasn't played to be sure, but there's a strong sense that decisions in the dialogue tree will have an effect on later scenarios.
    • On a look n' feel level, it has great cyberpunk atmosphere, and it belongs in the Deus Ex universe, more than Deus Ex 2 ever did with its wacky cults & AI hiveminds. In a visual sense, it's a great looking game, even if the actual graphics technology isn't 2011 quality. It has a good visual aesthetic: from the architecture, through to the interior details & even the weapons & clothing. Props to the devs, they really went out of their way to create a believable, coherent world. The soundtrack is smashing too, all dramatic synths and rumblings.
    • Oh and the voice acting is delightfully terrible; so was Deus Ex's mind you, maybe that's just another nod to the previous games, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Also have a "friend" who played the beta. His laptop struggled to play it smoothly and there was a laggy feel through out but here are his thoughts.

The atmosphere in the game is very Deus ex and the backing music is excellent. A real throwback to the orginal music.

There is plenty to explore and loads of npcs all around the place.

The dialogue screen is really cool and as the poster above said you actually see what you will say before you select "confront" or "ignore" etc.

The graphics arent great, definitely not a 2011 standard graphics.

The sneaking around is really well done and the cover system is really good. Couldnt really comment on the actual gunfire due to the laptop struggling to run the game.

The BIG gripe is the takedowns. They are simply awful. Really takes you out of the game and it feels like your just entering a random cut scene everytime. At one stage there were two guys beside each other. One was looking out the window and one was hunched down fixing something. One was nearer than the other. Tapped the silent takedown button behind the hunched down goon and all of a sudden the goon is standing in a completely different position staring at Adam. Adam does his big punching takedown thing makes a big racket, and the other goon a few inches further ahead doesnt move and just keeps staring out the window. Really poorly done, I honestly dont know why they have them in.

On top of that I just stood behind the second goon for about a minute waiting for my takedown meter to fill up again. Whats stopping me lifting my million dollar fists or pick up a crowbar and knock him out??:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait to give this a go! That melee cutscene wouldn't sound half as bad if you didn't have to wait for a battery to recharge before your next one. Thats just ridiculous! Read a few previews and and journos think the same. Wonder if this would be fixed by release?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

All I want to know is can you riot prod friendly NPCs repeatedly for your own amusement until you run out of charges. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The achievement list (minus secret story achievements) came out overnight.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/deus-ex-human-revolution/achievements/

Some interesting ones there like:

Pacifist (100) -
    Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without anyone dying by your hand. (Boss fights don't count.)

Foxiest of Hounds (100) -
    Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without setting off any alarms.

Deus Ex Machina (50) -
    Experience all the different endings that Deus Ex: Human Revolution has to offer.

Legend (100) -
    Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution at its hardest setting without ever changing the difficulty.

Even the fact that the Pacifist achievement exists gives me more hope for the game.

Kiith wrote: »
    Even the fact that the Pacifist achievement exists gives me more hope for the game.
    So long as there's some way of knocking people out without the aid of those awful takedown cut-scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait for this. Won't be getting the platinum tho, those will be some hard trophies to get i'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I do hope the pc version gets a quick mod to keep the takedowns in first person. They're so much better that way. Who here who played Dark Messiah of Might And Magic didn't enjoy sneaking up behind someone and jamming a blade in their neck, all in first person?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sarky wrote: »
    I do hope the pc version gets a quick mod to keep the takedowns in first person. They're so much better that way. Who here who played Dark Messiah of Might And Magic didn't enjoy sneaking up behind someone and jamming a blade in their neck, all in first person?

Awesome game.
    Managed to do that to final boss jerk.
    Was all sorts of pride!

(Multiplayer kicked ass too :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Dunno if posted already, but some behind the scenes stuff:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Mr E wrote: »
    Pacifist (100) -
    Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without anyone dying by your hand. (Boss fights don't count.)

This is not Arkham Asylum, I refuse to go through a whole game without some slashing and smashing. God even when it comes to FIFA I can become a bit bloodthirsty!:pac:

Advertisement