Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Boot Vista HP 32bit & & Ultimate 64bit

Options
  • 12-03-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Edit: The title should say "& 7" instead of "& &"... Could a mod please change that? It looks stupid in the thread list. Ta!

Is it possible to run these together on one hard drive that has been partitioned to facilitate the dual boot? I am using a Dell XPS m1530 with Vista Home Premium 32bit and I want to eventually upgrade (if I'm happy with it) fully to 7 Ultimate 64bit, but I want to run them together for a while to see how 7 works out...

I guess if there is an issue with this it will be to do with a 32bit and a 64bit OS running together, or installed together. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or is the only way to use 7u x64 bu doing a clean install?

Is there a version of 7 that will work in a dual boot scenario with Vista x32?

I have tried searching for threads on this specific combination and haven't found any although there are some sort of related threads, but they don't answer my question...

Thanks.

Ronan

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would be surprised if it did cause an issue - I've been dual-booting 64-bit Vista & 64-bit 7 at work for a good while (and before that dual-booting 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vista).

So long as you start with your Vista installation on one partition, then clean install 7 to another you should be OK. It should auto-detect the existing Vista install and add it to the bootloader menu, but you can check this and make changes if necessary using NeoSmart's EasyBCD.

Advertisement