Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered Tom Cat and other Toms in Spring...

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. Our tom cat was neutered quite late in life, we got it done when we got him, he was approx. 1 1/2 years old.
    Whenever the mating season comes around he'll get into fights with other toms in the area, as if he remembers that you fight in spring though you've forgotten what you're fighting for...
    Even before he had the snip he lacked aggression (following the teaching of the great Ghandi, it seems). With a new cat population this spring he is constantly being bullied by 2 toms, both blatantly invading his territory with a female sitting on the fence, looking very smug.
    I only let him out now when I'm around, so that he has the option to come in whenever he choses to do so. He likes a bit of a ramble and likes to visit the next door neighbour, who would certainly miss his visits.
    Any ideas? Do I just have to let go and let my boy fight his corner? (small scratches, no vicious wounds!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Since we came here - last November - there have been issues with local territorial toms challenging our (neutered) boy.

All our doors and coal sacks etc have been well sprayed by the locals and now we have had to ensure that they cannot get into the outbuildings; the smell is something else.

The noise of the challenges has been amazing.

And on one occasion when the bedroom window was left open, invader sprayed the curtains.

Our boy did come in once with a scratched nose.

It has calmed down now I think, so maybe they have sorted the territorial stuff out.

But in your case, keeping a close eye seems to work best so stick with it? You are caring well for him and that is great.

Our boy is huge. A gentle giant but he can scream with the best of them.

You know your cat best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

When we first got him there was a bit of a fight with the resident toms, but nothing major. He once got so annoyed that he hit back...
    Then things settled, himself and the visitors got on ok, a few hisses and growls over food that I put out for begging visitors as well, and our cat wasn't happy when I petted his mates.
    These cats seem to have been replaced by 2 intact toms. I know what you're talking about when yoy talk about the smell!!!
    What I try and do now is give our cat the option to come in when I call him, rather than him running away. "Sorry, can't stay and beat you up, my mummy wants me!" When he choses to stay out I let him.
    I really hope this settles in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Even if they're neutered, they still seem to fight. They don't seem to go out looking for fights, but if another cat comes into his territory he'll protect himself. They might scare him or hurt him a bit, but will probably not injure him badly. Though they could give him FIV through biting him. Or FeLV, but you can vaccinate him against that.

One of the neighbours' tom cats is really annoying me, chasing on of my (neutered) toms up a tree, fighting the other one (who just got knocked down a week ago and isn't up to fighting), literally attacking my female kitten, scaring the rabbits, spraying, making the dogs bark all night, scaring the (neutered) female cats. He's a nice cat, but such a trouble-maker! Other tom cats around don't cause a problem at all, but this one does, I wish his owners would get him neutered!

I had forgotten re the dogs' reactions... They used to hear the invading toms and when I let them out, chased them hell for leather.

Wee dog once treed the intruder and danced round the tree barking as long as I let her.

She and collie got the red one neatly trapped between them; cat narrowly escaped and still came back that night.

But collie trees our cats every chance she gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP, your cat unfortunately has a good chance of catching Feline HIV if he is fighting with stray toms. If you have time borrow some humane traps and drop them off at the vets.

• Advertisement

OP, your cat unfortunately has a good chance of catching Feline HIV if he is fighting with stray toms. If you have time borrow some humane traps and drop them off at the vets.

For?

Btw, do you know who owns the cats? Maybe you could politely ask them to neuter the cats, or at least let them know it's a problem, if you know who owns them.

Or maybe there's some way you can scare the cats away, like keep shooting them with a water gun/bang metal pots when they're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Graces7 wrote: »
    For?

The vet will scan them for microchips. If they are chipped, they will be returned to their owners.

If they are not chipped, they will be assessed for rehoming. If they are feral, they will usually be put to sleep. If not, they may be put up for rehoming.

Graces7, I know you have this marvellous "all cats, free in their natural habitat" attitude, but feral cats do not have happy lives. They are riddled with disease and parasites, stand a high chance of a violent death and have to battle every day of their lives for food and territory. It is not a romantic existence, especially if they're not in a managed colony and cannot expect any respite from hunger or infestation.

If the OP chooses to allow his cat to roam, then he does stand a chance of catching diseases - the difference being it's then up to the OP to bring his cat for treatment. Nobody takes feral cats for treatment, they just suffer, waste and die - usually after spreading the infection or parasite first.

The vet will scan them for microchips. If they are chipped, they will be returned to their owners.

If they are not chipped, they will be assessed for rehoming. If they are feral, they will usually be put to sleep. If not, they may be put up for rehoming.

Graces7, I know you have this marvellous "all cats, free in their natural habitat" attitude, but feral cats do not have happy lives. They are riddled with disease and parasites, stand a high chance of a violent death and have to battle every day of their lives for food and territory. It is not a romantic existence, especially if they're not in a managed colony and cannot expect any respite from hunger or infestation.

If the OP chooses to allow his cat to roam, then he does stand a chance of catching diseases - the difference being it's then up to the OP to bring his cat for treatment. Nobody takes feral cats for treatment, they just suffer, waste and die - usually after spreading the infection or parasite first.

We know all this and we work to try to TNR and feed ferals. And we care for as many as we can.

It fair breaks the heart; but in this case it was simply neighbouring cats.

But in this case it was not clear that the cats were ferals. Just grabbing cats is how it came across.

And there are vaccinations for these dieases.

We cannot afford to get our cats chipped; and many old folk will be the same. And yes ours are out when they want to be out. Only once in 30 years has any caught anything and that was because a neighbour took a fancy to our cat and kidnapped her. Kept her with her own diseased and neglected cat.

• Advertisement

This is in essence and reality genocide and any vet taking part needs .....

So high handed and indiscriminating.

What with being shot at and this....

What was done on Tory Island was appalling.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/cat-cull-on-donegal-island-14578232.html

And this bizarrely spelt offering .

http://www.3rdworldpets.com/bird-blog/at-last-a-cull-of-feral-cats-on-tory-island-to-protect-the-corncrakes/

There is no gentle or humane way to kill a terrified trapped cat - period. And killing a healthy animal?

Here we will continue to work to TNR; all have a right to life. Not to be killed in this way simply for being a feral.

Willl love and leave you all a wee while now. Book to finish etc Blessings and peace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Four hours to wind yourself up?

Perhaps it is best that you stepped away from this argument.

Thanks for all the tips! Just to answer the questions:
    Both toms are definitely no strays, well cared for and well fed, but I don't know who owns them in the Estate. Will ask around.
    We've tried the scaring off approach, but both of them are too fast for me. The husband (who's faster on his feet and not such a sucker for furry creatures) was determined to try the spray bottle this weekend, no sign of them. I suppose they do home duties over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

The problem with it is that even if you keep them out of your garden there is nothing to say they will not get him elsewhere.
    Can you not just keep him in?

He's in most of the time but likes to use my flowerbeds as kitty litter and likes to go for a bit of a ramble. As he's not comfortable outside at the moment he's more inclined to stay in than ever and has started using the indoor litter box again. No problem from my side. He enjoys the exercise outside where he can run across the lawn without having to dodge furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

yea I can understand that he would like to be out too. it is a hard thing with cats really, I can think of any other options though unless you can find a cat assertiveness course to send him on:D

There's a possibility the mean bully cats will stop picking on him after a while. Sometimes cats stay enemies forever, but I've found with our cats, that after a tom is around for a few months, the others get tired of chasing him off (or running away) and he becomes almost accepted, even the dogs stop barking at him, he'll start to eat or sit with the other cats! Then disappears again for the winter back to his real home probably.

So hopefully they get tired of bullying him and leave him alone, poor guy

Like the idea of the cat assertiveness course...:D

Advertisement