Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL microfilters

• 12-03-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 3Mb broadband package, all was going well for the last few months (years) until I had to replace the wireless phone at home. With the new phone plugged in my connection has slowed down considerably, I checked the line stats and the SNR has gone very low, so I am assuming noise on the line is the problem as a result of the new phone.

I have a standard filter on the line which was supplied by the ISP, I am wondering if there is such a thing as 'high-quality' filters available on the market which I could try? anyone recommend a good filter please?

Also I notice the line is now synching at 2,800Kb (or some figure close to that), I am sure it used to be 3,000Kb. Could noise affect this or has the ISP messed about with connection speed?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Disconnect the phone, and try the line stats again. Some phones do cause problems, that the filter won't be able to resolve. It could also be a dodgy or damaged filter. As far as I'm aware, all the filters have the same spec.

You may have to get rid of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yep looks like the new phone was the problem, replaced it with the old one and internet is working fine (sync at 3072 Kb again). Anyone want to buy a secondhand phone, barely used? :P

Advertisement