Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing dog to dry food

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

had our nine month old puppy at vets the other day and was explaining how he is such a fussy eater. He wont eat dry food and will eat a certain wet food for a day or two and then go off it completely! The vet stressed how beneficial it would be to get him eating dry food. He gave us a sample of hills and told us to just leave him (even if it takes three days) and he should eventually eat it. have started him on it this morning and he wont touch it, but we may stick with it for three days! anyone ever had this problem with their dogs! any comments will be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yes my yorkie was like that, it was at a stage where she went 5 days without eating (obviously still drinking). There was never a problem at the weekends when we went home as when she was around other dogs she would eat just so they wouldnt take it on her.

She is grand now, you have to stick it out dont give into him or he will learn if he holds out long enough you will cave and give him chicken or something else tasty!

What we do with Tilly is put a tiny bit of wet food (we use Cesar pouches) at the bottom of the bowl and cover with dry food. Sometimes she just picks out the wet food but usually eats it all.

Although if she knows there is chicken about she may not eat.

He wont starve himself, is just testing what he can get away with.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lainee

thanks TillyGirl, feel a bit better about doing it now! was feeling very sorry for ben!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

What my friend does is gives her dog a bowl of food, and if he doesn't eat it within 10 minutes, say, then she takes it away and he doesn't get anymore til next mealtime. That way he learns that he has to eat it. Maybe that could work? (after a few days)

Dry food is so much better, it'd be worth it to stop him being fussy. Or maybe soak the dry food slightly, and see if he'll eat it, and then soak it less and less until he's eating dry food? I hope he'll eat it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

morganafay wrote: »
    What my friend does is gives her dog a bowl of food, and if he doesn't eat it within 10 minutes, say, then she takes it away and he doesn't get anymore til next mealtime. That way he learns that he has to eat it.

This! Leave the food down for 10-15 mins then take it up and give him nothing else until the nest meal. He will learn that nothing better is coming and will eventually eat. Wetting the food will also help - soak it in hot water for a bit, drain and serve! The makes the food more appetising and takes the "crunch" out of it (which is what quite a few dogs don't like that are not used to dry food). Once he starts to eat, over time you can reduce the length of time the food is soaked - thus increasing the hardness - so that it is a more gradual change for him. I know it can be very frustrating but if you stick with it he will eat, it just might take some time. A hungry stomach is a great sauce!

Advertisement