Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with 4 Month baby

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I have a 4 month old daughter, she's great. But since she was about 2.5 months until now all she wants is Mammy, when I try to hold her now after about 10 mins she'll start crying and sobbing until she sees Mammy again.

I've read all sorts on the interweb, does anybody have any experience with this? What should I do. I am spending all of my time with or around her (Evenings and weekends, because of work).

I know that her mum is everything to her at the minute, food, comfort, etc..etc..etc...) but is this normal?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its perfectly normal and the important thing is that you don't doubt the bond you have with her. As her primary carer her mother will have the closest bond with her, due to her being there 24/7 but thats nothing against you as her father. As she grows and develops her bond with her father will grow and usually it grows to an extent that girls tend to be closer to their father as they mature. This is where the term "Daddy's little girl" comes from. Enjoy your time you have with your daughter and make sure not to break any bond you have with her over doubts in your head. That bond will grow and you will find that she starts to enjoy spending longer terms of time with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It does seem like attchement/estrangement issues, it happens with most babies.
    I would suggest having a day of just the two of you, she will cry at first but will adjust.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GoWan wrote: »

I know that her mum is everything to her at the minute, food, comfort, etc..etc..etc...) but is this normal?

Cheers!

Get used to it OP.My 2 daughters(2 and 3) were like that up until around 7 months ago(until my wife returned to college) and it feels terrible.

Now they cant get enough of me--as soon as I walk in thats it mammys blown out for the rest of the evening.

I also remember my 12 year old was exaclty the same up until around 10 but now her dad "embarrasses" her no matter what I do.So spend all the time with her that you can cos once she reaches that certain age you`ll be embarrassing her aswell.

Read something somewhere that this is the norm with daughters ie they`ll be all over you until 11/12 then your uncool for the next 10 years and its only after 25 or so that you have that bond with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Read something somewhere that this is the norm with daughters ie they`ll be all over you until 11/12 then your uncool for the next 10 years and its only after 25 or so that you have that bond with them again.
    Are you sure that wasn't just the McDonalds' ad :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasn't just the McDonalds' ad :D

Never saw that ad..It was in one of my wifes Psychology books I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 GoWan

Hi Guys,

Spent the last week with my little nipper (near 24x7) and it has made a huge difference!!! I am starting to get on with her much better, getting smiles, taking bottles from me, and shes no longer crying with me at all, and is very content!! Thanks for all of the replies... :-) much appriciated. &-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

All perfectly normal so don't take it to heart.

Also it will go in phases who they focus their primary attention on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

GoWan wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Spent the last week with my little nipper (near 24x7) and it has made a huge difference!!! I am starting to get on with her much better, getting smiles, taking bottles from me, and shes no longer crying with me at all, and is very content!! Thanks for all of the replies... :-) much appriciated. &-)

It won't be long before the nipper will be asking for you none stop. Be prepared to comfort the Mom;)

Advertisement