Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions.

• 12-03-2010 11:49am

I've recently got myself on the road (past month or so) and I have a few questions to ask:

1: When people stop a traffic lights etc, I've noticed that alot of people use their breaks to keep the car still instead of their handbreak. I had started doing it myself, but I'm pretty sure it's not the right way to do it and have been applying the handbreak whenever I stop. Is it wrong to use your break pedal instead of the handbreak?

2: When I'm coming up to a roundabout or something, I take my foot off the accelerator and change from 3rd to 2nd gear. However, the car kind of slows too quickly for my liking (as if I've pressed too hard on the breaks). Is this because I was going too fast when I put it down a gear?

3: When indicating, is it a rule that you always check your rearview mirror first? Sometimes I've noticed myself forgetting to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

3rd point first, Its your outside mirror you check not rear mirror, MIrror Signal Mirror Manoeuvre

2nd point, You got it you are going to fast for the gear

1st point, Its not wrong to use the brake rather than the handbrake, if you do it correctly in a test there are no marks, it all depends the time you are going to be stopped at the lights, if its going to be quick use the break, if not, use the handbrake and gear in neutral.

driverite wrote: »
    3rd point first, Its your outside mirror you check not rear mirror, MIrror Signal Mirror Manoeuvre

2nd point, You got it you are going to fast for the gear

1st point, Its not wrong to use the brake rather than the handbrake, if you do it correctly in a test there are no marks, it all depends the time you are going to be stopped at the lights, if its going to be quick use the break, if not, use the handbrake and gear in neutral.

Thanks for the reply!

I was told that when you're first in line at the red lights, keep it in first gear and apply the handbreak. If you're not first in line, put it into neutral and apply the handbreak. Is that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

driverite wrote: »

You should actually check both mirrors, they should be done in pairs. Rearview then either left or right depending on direction.

I was told that when you're first in line at the red lights, keep it in first gear and apply the handbreak. If you're not first in line, put it into neutral and apply the handbreak. Is that ok?

That's fine, it actually doesn't matter how far back in the line you are, you can keep it in 1st, but it makes sense to put it in neutral if you're a few cars back and give your foot a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When stopped at lights during the hours of darkness, you should use the hand brake as a courtesy to the eyes of the driver behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ADI34722

I've recently got myself on the road (past month or so) and I have a few questions to ask:

1: When people stop a traffic lights etc, I've noticed that alot of people use their breaks to keep the car still instead of their handbreak. I had started doing it myself, but I'm pretty sure it's not the right way to do it and have been applying the handbreak whenever I stop. Is it wrong to use your break pedal instead of the handbreak?

2: When I'm coming up to a roundabout or something, I take my foot off the accelerator and change from 3rd to 2nd gear. However, the car kind of slows too quickly for my liking (as if I've pressed too hard on the breaks). Is this because I was going too fast when I put it down a gear?

3: When indicating, is it a rule that you always check your rearview mirror first? Sometimes I've noticed myself forgetting to do so.

1. When you stop at traffic lights in any gear you should apply the handbrake first then neutral. If your first or second in the lights go back into first gear and take your foot off the footbrake. This will really come into play at night when the brakelights are still on in the car infront. Can be quite bright for the driver behind.

2. Gears are for going and brakes are for slowing. Try slowing down before changing gear. Also release the clutch before coming off the brake. Its a good habit to get into early in your driving.

3. Mirror Signal Manuover is something your going to hear alot of while learning to drive. Center mirror to check if there is a car/motorbike/truck close behind you then the mirror for the direction your heading to see if there is something beside the car or overtaking you BEFORE signalling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement