Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training not working

• 12-03-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm 46 & after Xmas started back running so now do about 5 - 8km, 3-4 times per week.

The point is I don't feel much more energised than before I'm not jumpimg out of bed at 6 in the morning and if anything seem to sleep longer.

Diet is OK (don't drink or smoke)but are these shakes people take any good, also knees starting to creak a bit.

Anyone got any advice i suppose at moment I seem to be having all the pain with no gain.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

Before folks can give you any decent advice, can you state what your goals are?
    • lose weight
    • Gain muscle
    • increase aerobic fitness
    • increase strenght
    • etc etc
    Also could you post up a typical days food intake (warts and all) in as much detail as posible

i.e.

05:30 Breakfast
    30g oats, 200 ml skimmed milk, 2 boiled eggs

08:30 in work
    1 scoop Whey protein
    5g creatine
    5g L-Glutamine
    300ml skimmed milk
    2 tbl spns Peanut butter

12:00 Lunch

This will allow the knowledgeable folks on here to give you advice based on what your expectations are.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks reason for exercise is for general health & well being and maybe lose a few pounds here is diet

07.30 porridge, or croissant or fruit, juice or green tea

1100 Tea

1300 Sandwich/Roll cheese,chicken, ham salad
    Tea

1500 tea

1800 Chicken/beef/lamb, pasta or potatoes,veg
    Small portion chocolate 40 - 80g
    Tea or herbal tea

Chips or chinese maybe once a week,macdonalds once a month

No crisps or alcohol

Thanks for any advice

Pavb2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Re: Knees

Glucosamine is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

what is your goals also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

what is your goals also?

yes, that was asked already by b-builder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

You don't mention what you were doing before Christmas? Did you do any exercise?

I don't know anyone who jumps out of bed energised at 6 in the morning. Sleepy, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not doing any exercise really before X mas, used to have 5 pints maybe twice a week but since quitting don't really see or feel anything life changing like "I wish it done it years ago"

Goals are to run 10k reasonably comfortably and general fitness, 13 stone,5' 9" so probably about 1 stone overweight.

Maybe it's just about persevering for another 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

The difference might not be remarkable, but maybe if you go back on the pints for a couple weeks, the difference would become apparent.

Note: I don't mean that as advice. Just sayin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Give it time.

Did you do any kind of training when you were younger?
    Also is it just the running you are doing? Or other fitness activities as well?
    And are they slow, fast or interval type runs??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I go into hibernation mode when the mornings are dark, but once they brighten I start to get up and do stuff earlier. Thats one thing to consider. Also I wonder if youd be better (and more motivated) to train at something else as well as just running. It could be that your fitness is plateauing as you may not be pushing it now, just sticking to the same routine?

The other thing could be that youre just doing more and your body is just a bit more tired, maybe just allow for it.

Find a goal, (an event, or a distance within a certain time). You will feel elated if you achieve it. Training always sucks just a bit, but the events are what makes it worth it for me.

• Advertisement

do some weights man its much more fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

pavb2 wrote: »
    Not doing any exercise really before X mas, used to have 5 pints maybe twice a week but since quitting don't really see or feel anything life changing like "I wish it done it years ago"

Goals are to run 10k reasonably comfortably and general fitness, 13 stone,5' 9" so probably about 1 stone overweight.

Maybe it's just about persevering for another 3 months.

I've given this about 1 minute's thought as to what the answer could be - and man you've really got to look at your posts!

You can't possibly be enjoying running. If you are talking about 'having to persevere for another 3 months' then you're on the wrong track.

Exercise should be enjoyable. Not necessarily at first, but if you are nearly three months in and talking like that then you need to take another look.

Have you ever lifted weights? I am biased and lots on here will be the same and straightforward cardio does have a place - but in terms of feeling and looking fantastic there really is NO comparison between running and weights/tough bodyweight exercise in my opinion.

yep sure take a look over at the running section on boards, they all just look skinny lol. i'd say even an average person here looks better than them and why because of a little thing we like to call weightlifting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

For feeling good, physically and mentally, nothing beats weightlifting.

Cardio, in small amounts is fine, but too much and on it's own, can be boring. It does sound like you aren't enjoying it, so why not try a bit of weightlifting. It can't hurt! Well it can, but you know what I mean!

Advertisement