Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Harbour redevelopment final plan video

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

I'd be curious to see what would happen to BallyLoughan beach with this developement. It could cause the beach to fill in all the way to the city. And that could be brilliant. I would also be interested in what would happen to Lough Atalia, its stagnent already - it will be much more so with a longer opening. Maybe they should just fill it in ? (thats sort of being sarcastic - but would be interested in others opinions)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

christg wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see what would happen to BallyLoughan beach with this developement. It could cause the beach to fill in all the way to the city. And that could be brilliant. I would also be interested in what would happen to Lough Atalia, its stagnent already - it will be much more so with a longer opening. Maybe they should just fill it in ? (thats sort of being sarcastic - but would be interested in others opinions)

Apparently some plan from the 60's suggested it be filled in for housing, perhaps that should be suggested again just to give the serial objectors something else to consentrate on.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've just got around to watching this now.

Seems to me that it's very light on details of how the road links to/from the area will work: I can see a double-tracked railway line, with a truck driving beside it, but how does that truck get to/from the motorway links that they're boasting about? Seems to me that all the options involve places that we don't necessarily want trucks going thru. (And I certainly don't believe that Galway would have enough freight to justify a rail-fed "inland harbour" concept)

Also, all those nice graphics of people walking about human-friendly streets: it's quite a hike from the city centre down to the current harbour enterprise park, and this will be even further way. Somehow I'm just finding it hard to imagine it as such a pleasant walk.

(All that said, I do support the idea: just want more details sorted.)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Looks like a progressive and exciting plan.

The road access issue is still present however.

Traffic is quite bad along the docks at rush hour.

Maybe if they get the bypass sorted it will work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A 'deal' to sell some €26m of land to start this project off fell through.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15099-port-plans-are-scaled-back-%E2%82%AC26m-land-deal-falls-through
    Galway Harbour Company is planning to self-finance the ambitious redevelopment of the docks through the sale of land and will not receive any government funding for the project.
    It announced yesterday morning that it had “scaled back” its proposal for the redevelopment of Galway harbour “to take account of the current economic climate”.
    The project will now be undertaken in four phases instead of two and is not expected to be completed for seven years. Galway Harbour Company is currently engaged with An Bord Pleanála in revising its planning submission in relation to the project.

The Harbour Company have released a PR that says.
    The new Phase 1 will allow the construction of a sheltered quay of 660metres and make provision for a turning circle for some of the worlds largest cruise liners and tankers.

This phase will allow the Port to sustain and grow its current core business and is essential to the current operating needs of the Port. It is estimated that the cost of achieving Phase 1 will be circa €50m and will be funded by the Galway Harbour Company.

Phases 2 & 3 will allow the provision of a rail link to accommodate rail freight and the construction of a quay for the inshore fishing fleet.

Phase four makes provision for the development of a western marina that will be capable of berthing 216 leisure craft.

Completion of all four phases is estimated for 2017 and will future proof the maritime requirements of the Port of Galway.

• Advertisement

There is a new Vid of the revised plan. Well done piece of video. Only thing missng is the crushtie and an taisce protest camp with smoke billowing about 24/7 and feck the environment :)

Original Video of Plan March 2010

Video of Revised Plan September 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is a new Vid of the revised plan. Well done piece of video. Only thing missng is the crushtie and an taisce protest camp with smoke billowing about 24/7 and feck the environment :)

Original Video of Plan March 2010

Video of Revised Plan September 2010

I think this should start ASAP. It will create alot of jobs most importantly! It will make Galway stand out that much more to the rest of Ireland. The Cruise Liners will bring in quite a bit of tourism.

The roads would be a concern but I'm not sure that's necessarily an issue with that side of the city. I would imagine alot of the traffic heading that way is going out Salthill, Knocknacarra way. The Traffic going out from town is most likely going out Dublin Road. I'm not too up on the projected impact of the Bypass but would this alleviate some of the traffic?

You never know maybe the positive impact in the way of tourism would cop them on and get the public transport system off it's knees and in proper order...maybe then that could help ease the traffic.

I say do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

In the latest video they haven't moved the petroleum tanks out to the end of the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Would love to see cruise liners visit the city. Hopefullt this developement will get off the ground asap.:cool:

The planning process for this project has been taken over from the Corpo by An Bord Pleanála

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15693-plans-progressing-new-harbour-city
    An Bord Pleanála has decided that the proposed development, by Galway Harbour Company, should be classed as Strategic Infrastructure Development.

Now that An Bord Pleanála has decided the proposal for Galway Harbour falls within this category, all documentation relating to the plans can go on public display.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This scheme has been around in one form or another for 5 years

There have been demands for the expansion of Galway port to transatlantic traffic for at least 98 years now. :) I'm not for or against the proposals but I wouldn't hold my breath either way.

There have been demands for the expansion of Galway port to transatlantic traffic for at least 98 years now. :)

Hate to be pedantic there Brian but those particular demands you are referring to were made over 98 years ago and then a combination of the Lusitania and the Mayo Mafia put an end to them.....and that those early plans were for passengers and mail and not containers and fuel and leisure craft as now :cool:

Hate to be pedantic there Brian but those particular demands you are referring to were made over 98 years ago and then a combination of the Lusitania and the Mayo Mafia put an end to them.....and that those early plans were for passengers and mail and not containers and fuel and leisure craft as now :cool:

That's not what the 1912 articles say. :D

That's not what the 1912 articles say. :D

Dude, if you read a series of questions I set here on Boards and then read the answers to those questions which are here ( with helpful supporting links to the answers ) then you may change your mind.

It was over in 1912, frankly it was over when the Mauretania won the Blue Riband in 1907, all that remained was the 'Imperial' element :D

It was over in 1912

There was still much campaigning to open the red route via Galway in 1912, which is what I was referring to.

But no momentum Brian. It has some momentum in the 1890s and maybe up to 1905 or so.

You may also have noted my observation in that other thread that the contents of a full atlantic class container ship, if decanted to a single train, would reach past Ballinasloe.

I must tell Peter Sweetman about that :D

My point wasn't whether it was viable in 1912, just that people have been calling for this development for at least 100 years. Its arguably much less needed now than it was then, and it was definitely less needed then than it was 20 or 30 years previous to that.

As far back as the 1850s, in fact the idea had the most traction either side of 1860 ...if you will read here.

That could be handy for my thesis thanks. :D

If you are researching it I thoroughly recommend the online and searchable ( and damned fast) NZ news archive HERE

The NZers were promised a 20 ish day journey to or from London if the west of Ireland route came off and followed developments agog. Then you have dates and times of key announcements and can search our Irish/UK news archives which are on Microfiche..and unindexed of course ..around the same times. Maybe the UK ones are indexed but practise on the NZ archive to get key names and dates.

This idea became known from the 1890s as the Imperial Line or the Red Route ( the empire was all red on maps) and the All Red Route. Also search for Galway and Halifax and Blacksod in there.

The idea died upon the outbreak of WW1 when they were just about to start work in Blacksod as I recall. It was resurrected as the Imperial Airships project in 1918 and when they displayed a tendency to explode this mutated to Imperial Airways and into the British Overseas Aviation Corporation one or three wars and no empire later.

search this for "red route" too

You will further enjoy the "Lecture delivered at the Imperial Institute, on the 17th February, 1896 on the new British route to the Pacific" by Col Josiah Harris. He advocated a variant further north and nearer the famous North West Passage sailing route...that by then discarded given all the trouble the worlds greatest seafarers had with pack ice....and to avoid them Fenian laddies lurking along the American Canadian border.

The "Colonial Conference of 1907" was important too, sort of a Lisbon Treaty of empire that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Does anyone know how this is to be funded? Is it PPP? I can't see detail of it on the presentation..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement