Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh, Bring it on!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

When they get rid of the headshops this will provide a better way of getting stoned legally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I can't see Irish people ever accepting Islamic law fully, because being Muslim is so feared by western civilisation.
    It's over sensationalised in the media, to create fear and establish Islam as the polar-opposite enemy of Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Walls wrote: »
    Fancy Sharia Islamic Law in Ireland? Well some folk do;

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Muslim-website-calls-for-Sharia-law-in-Ireland-87330697.html

I would so let loose the red hair for this. Who is with me? ;)

I was wondering at what stage in the article it was gonna start calling Irish women provocative sluts and men the chivalrous saviors. I smiled when I got there:
    In one article, entitled “21st Century Ireland - A man's world,” the author begs women to stick to one man and not dress provocatively.

"Instead of constantly trying to be better-looking than all the other girls in the club… instead of trying to impress a different bloke every weekend, is it not nicer to have that special someone," it asks. "Someone who will always think you're the best-looking girl… and that really doesn't want you wearing as little clothes as possible because it's not nice for you to be so cold. Is that not better?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just as a side note, normally (but not in this case), when people are calling for the introduction of Sharia law in a Western country, they are asking for a system similar in nature to the one which caters for Rabbinical courts in the US and UK.

In this case, it's loony, but there is actually an argument (not one I really subscribe to) for allowing Muslims, who have their own set legal code, to follow that code voluntarily in civil cases.

The Archbishop of Cantebury (forget his name...he was in the Vicar of Dibley) actually called for the introduction of Sharia law a few years ago.

EDIT: His name is Rowan Williams, and the speech is here. He sets out the main arguments for a limited incorporation and recognition of Sharia Law in England in quite a simle and easy way - worth reading if you are really into the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In this case, it's loony, but there is actually an argument (not one I really subscribe to) for allowing Muslims, who have their own set legal code, to follow that code voluntarily in civil cases.
    Absolutely. If Muslims (or anyone else for that matter) want to enter into an agreement based on their religion, I have no problem with that, so long as anyone can leave their religion at any time, and they are not legally bound to it in any way.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

Ok I know I going to sound really stupid asking this question but here goes, Do they want all of Ireland to convert to Islam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think the Muslim women should walk around Saudi in Bikinis and then they won't be so cold.

Now we can have some obscure website say that Ireland has called for Christian laws in Saudi.

There -even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

28064212 wrote: »
    Absolutely. If Muslims (or anyone else for that matter) want to enter into an agreement based on their religion, I have no problem with that, so long as anyone can leave their religion at any time, and they are not legally bound to it in any way.

Actually the strictest interpretation of Sharia makes leaving Islam to become an Infidel (thats anyone who isn't muslim, basically) punishable by death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

You guys have similar abortion laws like islamo fascist countries...

• Advertisement

SLUSK wrote: »
    You guys have similar abortion laws like islamo fascist countries...

The difference is we can conceiveably vote to change that, but the muslim majority have no choice in how sharia law is interpreted.

And abortion is allowed in certain circumstances in Islam.

Having the rights to your own body taken away through the vote of religious savages is ok i guess since Ireland is a democracy after all. No wonder Ireland sucks because it is ruled by primitive Catholic savages. Not to much different from Muslim savages.

Which is not what I said.

I don't appreciate either your comments or your intent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Having the rights to your own body taken away through the vote of religious savages is ok i guess since Ireland is a democracy after all. No wonder Ireland sucks because it is ruled by primitive Catholic savages. Not to much different from Muslim savages.

Catholic savages? Muslim savages? Take a week off from Boards for obvious trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Giselle wrote: »
    And abortion is allowed in certain circumstances in Islam.

I had no idea.

Are they health/life of mother exceptions, or related to how the child is conceived?

I had no idea.

Are they health/life of mother exceptions, or related to how the child is conceived?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_abortion
    Muslim jurists agree that abortion is allowed based on the principle that "the greater evil [the woman's death] should be warded off by the lesser evil [abortion]." In these cases the physician is considered a better judge than the scholar.
    I'm sure the more strict sects would interpret the Qu'ran much more strictly, but the majority moderate muslims tend to have this sort of attitude. Again, there isn't any one single view on the matter, there are as many interpretations of whats allowed as there are Ulema.

Advertisement