Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Gaga feat Beyonce "Telephone" Music Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

RichTea wrote: »
    The "Definition of inspiration"? I don't mind her, in fact I quite enjoy a couple of her songs but that's a massive step too far.

dont be pedantic, if you read my whole post you'd get what i was trying to say:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

BigDuffman wrote: »

Ga Ga is daring in a period that has just mass produced mundane female soloists. Fierce and weird.

If you think that just because she's weird she's not part of the mass production lark I think you'll be disappointed. To get a world wide release and all the airtime this lady has received requires massive amounts of money and major label backing. She's jumping through hoops just as much as the Britneys in the world. I'd be very happy if someone could correct me, it would restore some faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fewcifur wrote: »
    If you think that just because she's weird she's not part of the mass production lark I think you'll be disappointed. To get a world wide release and all the airtime this lady has received requires massive amounts of money and major label backing. She's jumping through hoops just as much as the Britneys in the world. I'd be very happy if someone could correct me, it would restore some faith.

I'll take a Lady Gaga over a million overhyped, dull as ditchwater BBC Sound of... female artists out there - Ellie Goulding, Marina & the Diamonds, Adele, Duffy, VV Brown Little Boots etc etc. I wouldn't be a huge fan of her mind you but in this day and age it's good to see someone going Diamond (her first album) by making her singles, performance and videos EVENTS. It's like seeing an artist trying their damndest to get your attention and €1.29 rather than someone that think they're too cool to make a song masses might actually sing along to. And aside from those overrated "indie" artists I mentioned - who else is there in Pop? Rihanna dropped a horrible album, Leona Lewis has no charisma and Alexandra Burke is the new Shayne Ward. Gaga and to a lesser extent Florence + The Machine are so far ahead of the curve right now it's unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I thought the video was rubbish. The song is rubbish also.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

It's just what I was expecting from Lady Gaga: desperately trying to be different,weird, extravagant etc. Impressive video and all and the song is catchy, but just as I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I'll take a Lady Gaga over a million overhyped, dull as ditchwater BBC Sound of... female artists out there - Ellie Goulding, Marina & the Diamonds, Adele, Duffy, VV Brown Little Boots etc etc. I wouldn't be a huge fan of her mind you but in this day and age it's good to see someone going Diamond (her first album) by making her singles, performance and videos EVENTS. It's like seeing an artist trying their damndest to get your attention and €1.29 rather than someone that think they're too cool to make a song masses might actually sing along to. And aside from those overrated "indie" artists I mentioned - who else is there in Pop? Rihanna dropped a horrible album, Leona Lewis has no charisma and Alexandra Burke is the new Shayne Ward. Gaga and to a lesser extent Florence + The Machine are so far ahead of the curve right now it's unreal

In which country are you referring to? Surely not the US, because Diamond means ten milion albums sold, which in this day and age is impossible. Safe to say no one will ever reach Diamond status ever again. Usher was the last person to recieve it in America and that was back in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I've liked everything she's done so far but that videos a bit of a mess. I don't like videos that are about three times longer than the song. If she wants to make a long video than do what the Black Eyed Peas did and make one video for two different songs.
    blow69 wrote: »
    In which country are you referring to? Surely not the US, because Diamond means ten milion albums sold, which in this day and age is impossible. Safe to say no one will ever reach Diamond status ever again. Usher was the last person to recieve it in America and that was back in 2004.

Maybe Britain, thats the only country I can see it being done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

She did achieve Diamond status. It was either in the US or worldwide. I can't remember.

Yeah, I'd take Gaga over much of whats being pumped out there, but she's still a mass produced music industry product, which was what I was getting at in response to an earlier post. Not necessarily a bad thing, but think Lady Gaga is all alternative etc is a bit like saying Coke Zero is revolutionary and edgy compared to Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

nommm wrote: »
    She did achieve Diamond status. It was either in the US or worldwide. I can't remember.

It was worldwide http://www.dirrtyinc.com/post/news-lady-gagas-the-fame-is-certified-diamond/

• Advertisement

Any official link to back that up?

Albums just don't sell ten million copies anymore, even worldwide. It might be at around eight million at the very most, but ten million....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I like the video ... It's something different!
    Bit crazy, unusual and all-over-the-place, but that's Gaga all over :)

I found Beyonce a bit pretentious ... The way she was styled ; hair, make-up, dress ... It just wasn't her usual thing. She looked like an imitation fan girl!
    She's not normally as quirky or kitsch as she was trying to make out in this video.

Found this "ten hidden surprises" article today about the video and found some of it interesting.

Personally, I love the track. It's been stuck in my head since I first heard it!

Any official link to back that up?

Albums just don't sell ten million copies anymore, even worldwide. It might be at around eight million at the very most, but ten million....

she confirmed it while on jonathan ross. "The Fame" had sold 10,00054 copies worldwide when it was annouced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can I have my time back?Good jesus that was terrible musically and visually
    "I told you she doesnt have a dick" Well colour me unconvinced.
    Im trying to think of a constructive thing to say but all I keep thinking is sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

she confirmed it while on jonathan ross. "The Fame" had sold 10,00054 copies worldwide when it was annouced!!

Okay but a lot of these artists/record companies tend to 'inflate' the actual numbers of said artists.

What I mean is, has it been officially certified?

The following website, albeit for America, is the official organization for certifying album sales and is the only one allowed to do so...http://www.riaa.com/whatwedo.php

Is there any worldwide equivalent?

Also, does the alleged 10million+ sales figures include her kind of half-second album The Monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ooh Lady Gaga is so weird and edgy wow she's such an individual... :rolleyes:

her songs are the usual generic crap imo and her "image" is carefully crafted by herself and her management. What's wrong with being real?

She's so pretentious and desperate to be seen as a "visionary" and an "intellectual" it's just embarassing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

This is their second collaboration

Last month they did Beyonce's song videophone

Video is here

Love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvymFpZYXBM&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Ok. Firstly just because all those copies were sold does not prove anything. Her biggest grossing market is Asia. The Japanese and Chinese love her, as they do with anything "quirky". Its her as a product that is selling, not as an artist. Most populated country likes her and she makes it big time. Just remember all those acts which also made it big in Asia, I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt for a long time, thought perhaps she was a bit original, but alas no. After the 3rd single I realised she is a try hard. In other words, everything she does is premeditated to the point where when she does do something that is meant to be so jaw droppingly original it just becomes plastic and drained of any artistic sentiment.
    This video is not epic, very far from it, yes you can see aspects which are ok, mainly Beyonce's participation, but not epic. "Thriller" was epic as was "Teardrop" by Massive Attack, in my opinion, something which blows you away while watching, but this is a rip off of various directors and artists, which does not make it epic. This is epic. Something which she will never have the knowledge of due to the fact that Michael Jackson had more talent in the tip of his fake nose!!
    THRILLER , Michael Jackson (1982)

28,000,000 ... USA (28xP , 2009) (1)
    4,075,000 ... UK (2)
    2,250,000 ... Canada (3) (2xDiamond, 1984)
    2,000,000 ... France (4)
    1,725,000 ... Japan (5)
    1,500,000 ... Germany (3xP , 1995)
    1,230,000 ... Brazil (6)
    1,225,000 ... Italy (7)
    980,000 ... Australia (14xP , 2009)
    880,000 ... Netherlands (8xP , 1996)
    600,000 ... Argentina (8) (Diamond, 1999)
    440,000 ... Mexico (9)
    420,000 ... Sweden (10) (4xP , 2008)
    400,000 ... Austria (8xP , 2008)
    395,000 ... Belgium
    315,000 ... Switzerland (11) (6xP , 1995)
    180,000 ... Denmark (6xP , 2008)
    165,000 ... New Zealand
    92,000 ... Finland
    80,000 ... Portugal
    40,000 ... Singapore

Total = 46,992,000

rebel10 wrote: »
    Ok. Firstly just because all those copies were sold does not prove anything. Her biggest grossing market is Asia. The Japanese and Chinese love her, as they do with anything "quirky". Its her as a product that is selling, not as an artist. Most populated country likes her and she makes it big time. Just remember all those acts which also made it big in Asia, I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt for a long time, thought perhaps she was a bit original, but alas no. After the 3rd single I realised she is a try hard. In other words, everything she does is premeditated to the point where when she does do something that is meant to be so jaw droppingly original it just becomes plastic and drained of any artistic sentiment.
    This video is not epic, very far from it, yes you can see aspects which are ok, mainly Beyonce's participation, but not epic. "Thriller" was epic as was "Teardrop" by Massive Attack, in my opinion, something which blows you away while watching, but this is a rip off of various directors and artists, which does not make it epic. This is epic. Something which she will never have the knowledge of due to the fact that Michael Jackson had more talent in the tip of his fake nose!!
    THRILLER , Michael Jackson (1982)

28,000,000 ... USA (28xP , 2009) (1)
    4,075,000 ... UK (2)
    2,250,000 ... Canada (3) (2xDiamond, 1984)
    2,000,000 ... France (4)
    1,725,000 ... Japan (5)
    1,500,000 ... Germany (3xP , 1995)
    1,230,000 ... Brazil (6)
    1,225,000 ... Italy (7)
    980,000 ... Australia (14xP , 2009)
    880,000 ... Netherlands (8xP , 1996)
    600,000 ... Argentina (8) (Diamond, 1999)
    440,000 ... Mexico (9)
    420,000 ... Sweden (10) (4xP , 2008)
    400,000 ... Austria (8xP , 2008)
    395,000 ... Belgium
    315,000 ... Switzerland (11) (6xP , 1995)
    180,000 ... Denmark (6xP , 2008)
    165,000 ... New Zealand
    92,000 ... Finland
    80,000 ... Portugal
    40,000 ... Singapore
    Total = 46,992,000

actually it DOES prove something. Oh and all her sales come from Asia huh?

The Fame - Certifications:

Australia 3× Platinum Austria 2× Platinum Belgium Platinum Brazil Gold Canada 3× Platinum Denmark Platinum Europe Platinum Finland Platinum France 2× Platinum Germany 5× Gold Greece Platinum Hungary Platinum Japan Platinum Mexico Gold New Zealand 2× Platinum Poland 3× Platinum Portugal Gold Russia 2× Platinum Spain Gold Sweden Gold Switzerland 3× Platinum United Kingdom 4× Platinum United States 3× Platinum

so yeah maybe give google a check before you start throwing around your unsubstantiated claims.

sales like that by an artist who has been around for just over a year show SOMETHING i think. Her solo world tour has sold out in just about every country it been on in. Also her two grammy's and 3 BRITS may say something about her as an artist, not a "product":)

oh and thanks for the random Michael Jackson sales figures:confused:

• Advertisement

Money talks.

actually it DOES prove something. Oh and all her sales come from Asia huh?

The Fame - Certifications:

sales like that by an artist who has been around for just over a year show SOMETHING i think. Her solo world tour has sold out in just about every country it been on in. Also her two grammy's and 3 BRITS may say something about her as an artist, not a "product":)

oh and thanks for the random Michael Jackson sales figures:confused:

My point was that her video is not epic. Reason i "threw" in Michael Jackson figures was to inform you that he was epic, his videos were epic. Her video cannot be claimed as epic, especially when so many parts have just been taken from epic films, "Thelma & Louise" & "Pulp Fiction" to name just two. Really do you think people would be that interested in her if she didn't make all these videos, wore all these clothes? Do you think people are genuinely interested in her voice and music alone, sorry no,its the package. That was my point, by the way a "product" is the kind of thing that wins grammys and brits. The amount of people involved in creating her character and endorsing it is unbelievable. She has been in the business for a very long time, behind the scenes, so is an expert on how to sell herself and not only her music, this is what makes it so contrived. Just remember anyone over the age of 16, with a developed taste in music can recognise that yes she does create music that sells to her desired market but she does not appeal to the wide range of audience that the likes of The Beatles, Michael Jackson and many others, which makes them epic. She is more like a modern Madonna, shocks people, sells well, but ultimately people will tire of her, unlike the fore mentioned artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

OK, well I've done reeeeally well in ignoring Lady GaGa up until this point but people's comments on the video sparked my interests.

First of all, everything went better than expected with the video. It was a little obvious, and somewhat annoying but at least it wasn't the same old sh*t and had a few talking points. However I, like several other people in this thread, couldn't get over what a lame track that was. I'm sorry but of the songs I've heard, nothing has made me want to go listen to her album and she's had more chances to sell it to me than most.

The garishness, the 'I don't give a sh*t' tackiness, that's fair enough I think but it's not for everyone's tastes and it certainly isn't for mine. Jeff Koons has been exploring this sort of concept for years so it certainly can't be labelled original, especially with the sheer amount of Hip Hop culture parody videos around.
    It's a marketing stunt that's getting people to talk about her more than a piece of video art, the whole Pepsi, Virgin Mobile, D&G thing, sure that's just overdoing it since you've already got that thunderc*nt of a product named Beyoncé in the video. She's the most disgustingly corporate thing about the video which makes it sort of ironic I guess.

I can't help but compare it to another video released this year that was even more daring and just slightly less attention seeking which was Rammstein's video for 'Pussy'. Both pretty much the same thing, I preferred Pussy though, because it had actual naked women in it. And I like naked women more than I like women wearing stupid looking glasses.

This is basically what the video is about when you take away a couple of layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I love that song but the video makes little sense with the lyrics. Seems to me the director jut decided to rip off Kill Bill and Thelma & Louise for no good reason..

Now, THIS, on the other hand is nothing short of PURE GENIUS! :D It also makes a lot more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Love the song.
    Love the video.
    And, despite my best efforts, I have to come out of the closet and admit: I FRICKIN' LOVE LADY GAGA. :o:D

It's not the greatest or most original video of all time, but for what it is, it's pretty damn cool. I love the "Let's make a sandwich" bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Bit in bold : massive generalisation there?

What's wrong with most of her sales being in Asia :confused: Asia counts as much as any other continent.

Other acts who've made it big in Asia also include Michael Jackson!

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Bit in bold : massive generalisation there?

What's wrong with most of her sales being in Asia :confused: Asia counts as much as any other continent.

Other acts who've made it big in Asia also include Michael Jackson!
    Think you missed my point. I wasn't discounting Asia. Having lived in Japan for a few years i can say that they love anything that is quirky and filled with bubblegum pop, as Lady gaga is, this is why she sells so well there, plus i mentioned Asia because of its population being bigger than any other continent, so if they like her, she is pretty much sorted in terms of record sales. The point i was making was that the video is seen by many as "epic" which is pretty awful given the amazing and revolutionary music videos that we have. You are missing the point i was making about Michael Jackson, but anyway, just to say the video for "Thriller" was voted the best video ever made, that was an epic video. Gaga's video does not share the vision, imagination, originality and success, so is not epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Think you missed my point. I wasn't discounting Asia. Having lived in Japan for a few years i can say that they love anything that is quirky and filled with bubblegum pop, as Lady gaga is, this is why she sells so well there, plus i mentioned Asia because of its population being bigger than any other continent, so if they like her, she is pretty much sorted in terms of record sales. The point i was making was that the video is seen by many as "epic" which is pretty awful given the amazing and revolutionary music videos that we have. You are missing the point i was making about Michael Jackson, but anyway, just to say the video for "Thriller" was voted the best video ever made, that was an epic video. Gaga's video does not share the vision, imagination, originality and success, so is not epic.

Ah, I was debating her sales not her video(which i think is entertaining if nothing else fwiw). I just don't think its fair to discredit her sales by saying the asians love it and they love anything quirky. Its like saying U2 do well in America cos americans love anything irish.
    If thats not what you are saying apologies then ive missed the point again.

• Advertisement

I do not like the song or video at all. To me it's boring and repetitive and they talk about absolute ****. I mean who didn't expect the video to not make sense and be plain weird?? I can see why people like it though but it's not 'epic'! It also reminds me of Gwen Stefani's ''Sweet Escape' video.

I have no idea why Beyonce lowered herself in collaborating with Lady Gaga. She is stunning looking and has a great voice. She's mega popular and rich already. She has loads of awards and is highly sought after by companies wanting her to front their brands. She sang at Obama's presidential inauguration. She was a member of a very successful band for years. I mean collaborating with Gaga is nothing compared these. I think she wastes a lot of her talent.

I liked Lady Gaga's 1st album, but her 2nd is like the exact same. From what I've listened to all the songs sound the same, same beats and stuff. Yeah she's weird and stuff but that's even getting boring now too. But again some people love her, let her make her millions anyway!

Advertisement