Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on New Motorcycle (125cc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

what sort of long distances - motorway or regional roads?

To be very honest and i'm trying not to be snobby... but i wouldn't touch a jinlun, nor anyother bike that is not the main stream (honda, Kwak, Suzuki, Yamaha etc) unless you want poor consturction and problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

jameshayes wrote: »
    what sort of long distances - motorway or regional roads?

To be very honest and i'm trying not to be snobby... but i wouldn't touch a jinlun, nor anyother bike that is not the main stream (honda, Kwak, Suzuki, Yamaha etc) unless you want poor consturction and problems...

0 resale from them other brands too... something fairly important imo with beginner bikes, as I consider them just a stepping stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

You wouldn't be able to get any parts second hand either. If your planning on going long distances get as big a cc as you can afford to insure cause its torture otherwise with a small engine and cars all the time trying to pass you out. Your age will determine what you can insure for a reasonable price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

whats the best bike for long distance travel? a cruiser or sportsbike or does it matter?

I'll be travelling about 200 miles one day a week.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cruisers and sportsbikes have very different riding positions, with sports you lean forward with your weight on your arms. Depends if you want to do 200 miles like that. Presume your learner? I would have thought a restricted 600cc would be a good idea, cos you might outgrow a 125 pretty quick and it will do your one day long trip but a bigger cc will make that a lot easier on you. It will depend on your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Go for something like a Bandit600 or a CB400. Nice riding position, won't kill you on list distance trips like a sportsbike but still sporty enough to enjoy on the twisties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Have been to a couple of dealers today. Ive decided I want a cruiser. I think it feels much better.

I was recommended the Honda 125cbf http://www.belfasthonda.com/newbikes/viewdetails.asp?ID=79

Didnt like the feel of it.

Although the cruisers ive seen today werent the main stream brands I'd be more comfortable buying a mainstream branded one. Can anyone recommend 125 cruiser. Im restricted to a 125cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I started off on a marauder 125 and fecking loved the thing. marauder, dragstar, virago ........ all great bikes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

paky wrote: »
    Have been to a couple of dealers today. Ive decided I want a cruiser. I think it feels much better.

I was recommended the Honda 125cbf http://www.belfasthonda.com/newbikes/viewdetails.asp?ID=79

Although the cruisers ive seen today werent the main stream brands I'd be more comfortable buying a mainstream branded one. Can anyone recommend 125 cruiser. Im restricted to a 125cc.

One thing I found with cruisers is that while they feel very comfortable for the first while, after a certain amount of time in the saddle it started to get pretty tough on my back. Not all models are the same of course, but something to be aware of. The most comfortable position I've found for anything long distance is between cruiser and full blown sports bike, leaning forward a little so that all your weight isn't on your back, but not so much that you have excessive weight on your wrists.

How come you're restricted to 125cc, because of the license you have? If it's a cruiser you might want a little more power, especially if it's a bit heavier. I started off on a 125cc Hyosung cruiser and loved it to bits. Until I moved up to a 250cc and wished I'd started on it, it was so much easier to ride and better for long distances. Surprisingly little difference in price between second hand 125s and 250s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

this is a very personal taste thing, I hate cruisers myself and would go for a bandit, great bike and not too mad but can be if you want it to be, test a bandit is my advice:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i love my cbf250. ive done cork dublin on it a couple of times, it's not great for doing two hundred miles straight, but anyhtin up to fifty miles is magic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hi paky.

Could you give us a bit more info.

How old are you?
    What licence do you have?
    Do you live in the Republic, or NI?

This would help in suggesting a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Im buying a new motorcycle at the end of the month preferably a 125cc.

Can anyone give me advice?

I started off on a Pulse adrenaline 125....the second last bike on this link....It was £1500 sterling brand new! A great learner bike, good accleration and Great value for money!!

mcn2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

ever think of the yamaha tdr 125? fast little 2 stroke engine with a nice ride position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ever think of the yamaha tdr 125? fast little 2 stroke engine with a nice ride position.
    Good choice that. A cruiser/sports 125 won't be great for long distances at all. Honda Varadero 125 would be my number one choice though, possibly a honda cityfly either. I started off on a CityFly myself and loved it, got a Rebel 250 cruiser and hated every minute...back on the cityfly now waiting for my two years to elapse 'til I can get something bigger. Left the cityfly parked up all winter and it started first time on the button last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

Hi OP

i got a jinlun the exact same in your first post , got it for my 18th brand new

got it in september 2008 still have it now :) crackin bikes to drive ,
    they have a 2 way gear shift on them

i put a fiver into it in petrol and i get nearly 100km for a fiver :)

had no hassles with it at all , just remember to keep the chrome clean

as for parts , there easy to find and very very cheap

tax and insurance is cheap aswell

good look on finding a bike mate

Advertisement