Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coughlans performance in the Dail yesterday

• 12-03-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

I dont know if any of the other posters heard Coughlans performance in the Dail yesterday. She was asked a question about the current Tallaght scandal and the response was shocking, she mumbled and stumbled her way through it and at the end it made absolutely no sense at all. I know some posters will say this is nothing new but I just thought yesterday it was shocking. I have been able to find a recording of it, I know George hook was playing it yesterday on is show.

How can we have someone like this as Taniste? I saddens me to see that complete lack of talent that we have in the Dail. Very Very Sad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Floppybits wrote: »

How can we have someone like this as Taniste? I saddens me to see that complete lack of talent that we have in the Dail. Very Very Sad.

She's our glorious leaders buddy, that's how. The fact that she's incompetent, inarticulate and completely out of her depth for the position is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Do you reckon Biffo and Harney have another drinking buddy in her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Pot wrote:
    Do you reckon Biffo and Harney have another drinking buddy in her

Well after hearing yesterdays performance, it wouldn't surprise me. She couldn't string a sentence together. Would love to be able to post the audio, I will have a look and see if I can find it.

Jaysus something just occurred to me there, with Cowen out of the country now for the next few days, it means Coughlan is in charge. God help us. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Is there really any point in having another "incompetent government" thread.
    Just remember, no matter how bad they are, you put them there. If, after the next election the next government is equally crappy, you put them there too.
    I'm sick and tired of dynastic politics in Ireland. If you think Cowen, Coughlan Gormley etc. are crap, get them out, not just out of government but out of the Dáil. If you think Kenny,Gilmore etc. are crap, don't vote them in.
    Coughlan is just one of many, the standard of candidate available for election is appalling and the reason is simple, there is no choice. The parties put up who they consider to be the right candidate, not for their competence but for their ability to get elected and you play along.
    How many TDs have been elected because of Daddy or Mammy or Auntie? How many because of their prowess in sport or their position in the local bank or co-op?
    Until you appreciate that the ultimate choice is yours, there is nobody guiding your hand to any particular candidate and pick the best candidate, from your point of view, nobody else's, then you can't really consider yourself represented in the Dáil.
    If we continue to elect substandard TDs just because Cowen or Gormley etc., think they are good vote getters, we can never hope to raise the standard in Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I feel the same. The minute I turn on the telly and see her there, I just sigh at the thoughts that this is the best we've got for the position. And what is even more disheartening is that Cowen is NOT gonna move her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrsmidas

Much as I dislike Ms. Harney, she is a well-oiled robot when it comes to answering questions about the health service. She never stumbles, ums or ahs. Ms. Coughlan's faffing about looked all the worse because normally it's the Harney Machine that's rolling out the platitudes and excuses.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Is there really any point in having another "incompetent government" thread.
    Just remember, no matter how bad they are, you put them there. If, after the next election the next government is equally crappy, you put them there too.
    I'm sick and tired of dynastic politics in Ireland. If you think Cowen, Coughlan Gormley etc. are crap, get them out, not just out of government but out of the Dáil. If you think Kenny,Gilmore etc. are crap, don't vote them in.
    Coughlan is just one of many, the standard of candidate available for election is appalling and the reason is simple, there is no choice. The parties put up who they consider to be the right candidate, not for their competence but for their ability to get elected and you play along.
    How many TDs have been elected because of Daddy or Mammy or Auntie? How many because of their prowess in sport or their position in the local bank or co-op?
    Until you appreciate that the ultimate choice is yours, there is nobody guiding your hand to any particular candidate and pick the best candidate, from your point of view, nobody else's, then you can't really consider yourself represented in the Dáil.
    If we continue to elect substandard TDs just because Cowen or Gormley etc., think they are good vote getters, we can never hope to raise the standard in Government

Talk about a sweeping statement. How did I put them in there? Was it because I voted in the last election? Also your statement says that you put them in there as well unless you didn't vote in the last election.

mrsmidas wrote: »
    Much as I dislike Ms. Harney, she is a well-oiled robot when it comes to answering questions about the health service. She never stumbles, ums or ahs. Ms. Coughlan's faffing about looked all the worse because normally it's the Harney Machine that's rolling out the platitudes and excuses.

Well all Harney ever says is that she will pass it onto the HSE and then it gets lost in the post. But still the performance yesterday was a shocking, and in the end it came to nothing just finished mumbling something. Why opposition weren't all over her is beyond me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrsmidas

Well all Harney ever says is that she will pass it onto the HSE and then it gets lost in the post.

Then we're in agreement! Like I said, platitudes and excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Talk about a sweeping statement. How did I put them in there? Was it because I voted in the last election? Also your statement says that you put them in there as well unless you didn't vote in the last election.

I didn't mean you in the second person singular.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mrsmidas wrote: »

I dis-like Harney but yes, she can give as good as she gets in the oral department. Credit for that.
    Coughlan yesterday? Bad, just bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭donkey balls

She's our glorious leaders buddy, that's how. The fact that she's incompetent, inarticulate and completely out of her depth for the position is irrelevant.

thats a part of the job spec did you not know that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Coughlan doesn't speak like an ordinary person. It's just a load of jibberish speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Coughlan doesn't speak like an ordinary person. It's just a load of jibberish speak.

Well, at this moment in time, I would be very cognisant of that fact. Going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

When someone as inept as Mary Coughlan is essentially your countries deputy PM, its pretty obvious that your country is seriously screwed.

Advertisement