Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayStation Move

• 12-03-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting!

Socommove-thumb-640xauto-12587.jpg
    We played with the PlayStation Move at the party last night, but at Sony's more intimate gathering at the W Hotel today it was easier to get a better picture of the peripheral. The main games on the floor were interesting, but the game we wanted to play? SOCOM 4, with the PlayStation Move.

This was the game that was aimed at hardcore gamers, and the guys from Zipper told us that they were able to get this build up in a matter of weeks; the tools Sony was providing its developers for Move support were intuitive. This was also the first time we were able to use the secondary, nunchuk-like controller to add analog movement to the Move. We were able to play the game for about 20 minutes.

Aiming the crosshairs with the Move worked well, and I didn't feel any lag. While I was new to the game, the firefights and encounters were a blast with the controller; there is something much more satisfying about aiming at the screen with a controller instead of moving an analog stick. This is a controller that's ready for more mainstream use in shooters, and the fact that Sony already has a high-profile release that uses the technology so well is heartening.

The d-pad allowed you to give commands to your squad, and you can send two groups of soldiers to different objectives. It almost felt like a real-time strategy game; you can set up some series covery fire if you're able to think that far ahead in the combat. "We're looking at gestures," we're told when ask about things like throwing grenades and the like. "[The Move] leads a lot of accessibility to a hardcore game like this."

The team at Zipper spent three months with the controller, and the work has paid off. Will we use the Move when we're playing online and care about our score? Maybe not. But it adds an extra layer of fun to the gameplay of a title that already looks mature. It took a little bit of talking to get behind the velvet rope to play this demo, but it was worth it. We're starting to see the promise.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/socom-4-played-with-playstation-move-our-thoughts.ars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

This will be interesting. Motion control always struck me as a gimmick that wouldn't really fit with hardcore games, so I want to see what'll come out for the PS3 to use the motion controller after SOCOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I saw a vid on GameTrailers of some sham playing SOCOM. It did look cool and no major waggles required to get it to work. It was basically point the wand at a certain spot on the screen and shoot. There did seem to be a big dead-zone on it so turning around fast could be a chore.

Dont think it will replace the normal controller. I'll prob only use it for novelty games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I dont think it will replace the controller but im more interested in the fact that I wont have to fork out €200+ for a wii that I will only play a couple of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

the wii controller is good for some games but trying to play anything first person or even third person where the only way to turn your character is to move the cursor to the edge of the screen is a total nightmare. when you come under fire and you try to turn quickly you can end up staring at your feet while you get blasted to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

nedd wrote: »
    the wii controller is good for some games but trying to play anything first person or even third person where the only way to turn your character is to move the cursor to the edge of the screen is a total nightmare. when you come under fire and you try to turn quickly you can end up staring at your feet while you get blasted to hell

That does not happen with the Move, it was tested by reporters the other night. They were trying to see how it would cope and it performs better than the Wii in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

That does not happen with the Move, it was tested by reporters the other night. They were trying to see how it would cope and it performs better than the Wii in that respect.

In that case i wouldn't mind this so much. I actually like using a point and shoot controller if its done properly.

The PS3 is known as being for "hardcore" gamers and the Wii was for casual gamers and kids. I don't think Sony bringing out the move will change this. The main focus of the PS3 games will still be for "hardcore" gamers but now some casual gamers can come to love the PS3 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Cant really judge from this , but taking yesterday as an example (6hrs straight playing BFBC2) then fooked if I am standing for that amount of time ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Humm, I wonder if will work out cheaper to buy eyepet with an PlayStation eye for €30'ish now, and the "move" on it's own when it comes out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think the looking around would be better handled by holding a button and using the analogue stick on the sub controller rather than trying to use the wand to look around by moving it to the edge of the screen. Letting go of the button would resume control of the character.

Maybe a gears of war style where everything is more or less in front of you would be a better option than being attacked from all sides in games for the MOVE.

Still it will take some getting used to like when you are good at one FPS and you get a new game and your rubbish the game is far less enjoyable. This could have similar problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tallon wrote: »
    I dont think it will replace the controller but im more interested in the fact that I wont have to fork out €200+ for a wii that I will only play a couple of times

I don't think the Sony Wiimote and nunchuck, move and sub-controller will be cheap..
    Probably not €200, but definitely not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    I don't think the Sony Wiimote and nunchuck, move and sub-controller will be cheap..
    Probably not €200, but definitely not cheap.

the price for the U.S was said to be sub $100

i think this will have a better chance than natal as a lot of wii games can be ported (mostly bad ones).
    it seems to be running well with socom so there is little overhead compare to the 30% a few sites say natal consumes of the 360s power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article

Hmmm, is it just me or does this actually sound better than Natal? At least for the core gamer.

Specwise the Move blows the Wii out of the water (Dayum that sounds bad..). It's like a blend of Natal and Wii and IMO sounds like it comes out the better for it compared to the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That light would be horribly distracting

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    That light would be horribly distracting

to small winged insects maybe, but it does look brighter than the earlier pics.
    It's like a blend of Natal and Wii

so the move is base on natal and not the playstation eye.
    i agree with that it does sound better and more appealing to the casual game market.
    Adding some small stuff to more hardcore games like the way 6-axis is used would be good, some sites are saying that this only takes 2 MB of ram up, they can take that out of the 70 MB that Sony have now let developers use lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Whether or not this will be any use will depend on the games and how they use it, from what I saw of GDC most of the games look like to be either utter shat or utterly unimproved by motion control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I posted this in a different thread :
    eddhorse wrote: »
    From Here :

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/10/introducing-playstation-move/

4422280435_98ed827968.jpg

By now you may have seen the update on our new PlayStation 3 motion controller, via our live video stream at GDC. In case you missed it, let me introduce you to ‘PlayStation Move’.

4423031462_c7f959bd98.jpg

We first showed the ‘Move’ controller prototype at E3 in 2009 and we’re now ready with the final design, along with an early look at just a few of the upcoming games…

Take a look at our trailer below, which aims to explain PlayStation Move in more detail:

Our launch games are designed to appeal to all PlayStation 3 fans. We’ve got our own take on social games such as ‘Sports Champions’ and ‘Move Party’ (both working titles) as well as keeping our more serious gamers in mind with DUKES and EA’s Tiger Woods 2010. Many of our existing franchises such as SOCOM will also be enhanced with PlayStation Move functionality – because of Move’s low performance impact on the PS3 system we’re able to add this to our existing games without compromising graphical quality or gameplay. The PlayStation Move experience will offer our players a fun, high definition and immersive gaming experience.

As you know, we’ve got a lot of experience working with motion and camera-based control systems, having created the original EyeToy for PlayStation 2 back in 2003. This experience has really helped make sure our new control system is incredibly accurate and responsive. PlayStation development teams are working hard to create a strong and exciting line-up of games – you’ll be hearing more about new titles in the coming months but for now, here is a list of the games we’ve announced so far:

Dukes — Brawl your way to the top in this brutal bare-knuckle boxing game.
    4422290413_331d13b071.jpg

Move Party — Chaotic multiplayer where you never know what will happen next!
    4423059250_b0268fe527.jpg

Sports Champions — The greatest athletes in the world are ready, are you?
    4423083794_908b3da0b9.jpg

TV Superstars — Be a contestant in five TV game shows to prove that you are the biggest star.
    4422331711_9185f0e9d0.jpg

Slider — Kung-fu action – on an office chair!?!
    4422302201_7c020d8789.jpg

The Shoot — Take out the bad guys but make sure the movie director likes your style!
    4422321815_2dc99a4d88.jpg

More news both from first and third party publishers to follow in the near future…

You will be able to get involved with PlayStation Move in several ways:

* Camera + controller (including a “starter disc” with a range of demos for games releasing later in the year)
    * A single controller for people who already have a PlayStation Eye camera
    * A full console pack which includes PS3, dualshock3, Move controller + camera
    * Finally some of our biggest games will be available with a Move controller included

We’ve also announced the Subcontroller this week, an additional peripheral for use with more hardcore titles like SOCOM, which benefit from analogue stick input.

4422266435_0601f8ab83_m.jpg

I look forward to hearing your feedback and responses to the announcement of PlayStation Move in America this week. Watch out for interviews with Move developers from GDC here on PlayStation.Blog.

Start moving and being at the centre of the action and start a new way to play on PlayStation 3 in 2010…
    PlayStation Move Demo: Sports Champions

PlayStation Move Demo: SOCOM 4

PlayStation Move Demo: LittleBigPlanet

Also :
    media?id=3797977&type=lg

It looks like when Sony had their big Move showing at GDC last week, they left a couple of Move-compatible games out of the demonstration. According to Sony's official Move website (via VG247), Gran Turismo 5, Split/Second, and ModNation Racers are all listed as being compatible with the upcoming motion controller.

As the games are only included in the list of compatible titles, there's no information on how the Move will be used with each of them. Presumably it might somehow be used for steering controls (or maybe during track-editing in ModNation Racers), but there's no telling whether the usage will necessarily be that elaborate.

Split/Second is dated for May 20, while Gran Turismo 5 and ModNation Racers still have no specific dates but are due for release this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Kevin Butler!!!!!

You stay classy Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

hahaha he took the piss out of natal @ 1.02 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Kevin Butler!!!!!

You stay classy Sony.

That had me crying with laughter!!

The boss looked over at me saying "wtf is wrong with you!"

quality, why can't all ads be as funny and light hearted as this

• Advertisement

Very clever campaign i always look foward to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Some tech demos of PS Move:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Ha that video was hilarious! I agree, light hearted and funny, all ads should be like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

that looks really good and thats what they should be doing not just releasing wii like games, it has alot more potential than the wii and i was kinda put off watching the press conference at GDC. ill bring it back to a point i made earlier, hes using two move controllers with the light balls at the end of it and unless they are going to release two together in the sub $100 pack i don't know whats gonna happen because im the only person in my house that plays games and im not buying two of them just to play certain things.

More updates on the "Move" stolen from Neogaf :
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401836

1687wh5.jpg

85UcY.jpg

gxVzO.png

After seeing some of the tech demos this is looking more and more interesting. The chameleon thing doesn't look like much but the possibilities it opens up for first person games are immense. Imagine being able to reach for door knobs and pull doors open, reach up onto shelves for things. Condemned would have been great with it.

The RTS controls look like they work really well, you can zoom and pick units quite easily. RUSE could be a lot more interesting now it supports move.

Here is a link to the tech demo ..demo's from Dual shockers http://dualshockers.com/2010/07/21/never-before-seen-ps-move-tech-demo-is-amazing/

Surprised MS didn't include a Plane ticket to Japan for the Wii and PS3.

the balance board is peripheral that came out for one game and i have not seen any game that will need 2 navs. they're comparing the new 4GB s to a complete 120GB slim the 360 os takes 1gb by itself.

I know that MS are doing this to make natal look like better value,so maybe they should of tried comparing it for 4 players, oh wait natal is only 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Surprised MS didn't include a Plane ticket to Japan for the Wii and PS3.

the balance board is peripheral that came out for one game and i have not seen any game that will need 2 navs. they're comparing the new 4GB s to a complete 120GB slim the 360 os takes 1gb by itself.

I know that MS are doing this to make natal look like better value,so maybe they should of tried comparing it for 4 players, oh wait natal is only 2.
    The comparisons from both sides are pretty ridiculous. Sony using a rechargable battery and secondary controller as advantages is pretty amusing. MS including the Wii balance board and 3 games is downright silly. And Nintendo, well they're just sitting back laughing. :)

Regarding the player aspect, well the Wii is the only fully functional 4 player unit there. The PS3 suffers from the 7 max Bluetooth device issue, meaning that, in order to have both controllers, someone would have to use a USB cable if they wanted to participate.

Cutting away the price though, I'd still regard the 360 deal as the best deal for a "new" owner what with the Wii @ $200 for one player, the 360 @ $300 for two and the PS3 @ $510 for two also. As for the fact that it's a 360 Arcade, you could still bundle in a hard drive and be cheaper than the PS3 plus, I'd imagine most people would prefer a 360 as a base machine rather than a Wii.

gizmo wrote: »
    Regarding the player aspect, well the Wii is the only fully functional 4 player unit there. The PS3 suffers from the 7 max Bluetooth device issue, meaning that, in order to have both controllers, someone would have to use a USB cable if they wanted to participate.

That's would only be if a game required 2 controllers per player, any 4 player games will be like tennis or something with 1 move each. The casual market may view Blu-ray as more of an advantage, move can also be added to a game but natal seems to be out on its own although MS have said that game will come out that use it partially for head tracking or the like.

• Advertisement

That's would only be if a game required 2 controllers per player, any 4 player games will be like tennis or something with 1 move each. The casual market may view Blu-ray as more of an advantage, move can also be added to a game but natal seems to be out on its own although MS have said that game will come out that use it partially for head tracking or the like.
    How would a title like Tennis only have one Move controller when it has no d-pad for movement?

The only indication of Kinect being used on it's own was MS saying they didn't want to see the tech "tacked" on to games when it was unnecessary, something I certainly agree with. That being said, I can think of plenty of opportunities where it can be done in a pretty cool way. The example I used previously being Mass Effect 2/3's planet scanning mechanic, except with Kinect, being able to rotate/interact with the planet with your hands.

As for BR, I'd say the casual market would be the last one to be interested in Bluray. :o

How would a title like Tennis only have one Move controller when it has no d-pad for movement?

If the wii could do it 4 years ago move can do it now, a lot of the games that were show could use only 1 controller when needed such as the archery game.

The only indication of Kinect being used on it's own was MS saying they didn't want to see the tech "tacked" on to games when it was unnecessary, something I certainly agree with. That being said, I can think of plenty of opportunities where it can be done in a pretty cool way. The example I used previously being Mass Effect 2/3's planet scanning mechanic, except with Kinect, being able to rotate/interact with the planet with your hands.

The only indication of Kinect being used on it's own was MS only demonstrating it being used on its own, and as i said MS have only just told anyone that it will be used in non-casual games http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/21/microsoft-says-to-expect-non-casual-hybrid-kinect-games-over/

If the wii could do it 4 years ago move can do it now, a lot of the games that were show could use only 1 controller when needed such as the archery game.
    The Wii could do it because the Wiimote has a d-pad on it which enables you to move your on-screen avatar. The Move controller has no such d-pad therefore all it can pick up is a swing and of course, the other non-dpad button presses. Archery, on the other hand, needs only aiming, not actual avatar movement therefore the d-pad is not needed.

The tacked on comment was in relation to these comments which as you say, have now been addressed again in the Engadget article. Can definitely see why people are waiting before splashing out on it anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The Wii could do it because the Wiimote has a d-pad on it which enables you to move your on-screen avatar. The Move controller has no such d-pad therefore all it can pick up is a swing and of course, the other non-dpad button presses. Archery, on the other hand, needs only aiming, not actual avatar movement therefore the d-pad is not needed.

The tacked on comment was in relation to these comments which as you say, have now been addressed again in the Engadget article. Can definitely see why people are waiting before splashing out on it anyway. :)

The tennis game in Wii Sports (the one shown in the video) doesn't use the d-pad, the avatar moves automatically. So the Move could certainly handle that in 4-player, though in this particular case I'm not sure that Sony would bother trying to copy what is essentially a 4-year-old Wii tech demo.

I should have inspected that chart a bit more alright, the balance board is needed for the Wii? WTF?

ghostchant wrote: »
    The tennis game in Wii Sports (the one shown in the video) doesn't use the d-pad, the avatar moves automatically. So the Move could certainly handle that in 4-player, though in this particular case I'm not sure that Sony would bother trying to copy what is essentially a 4-year-old Wii tech demo.
    Really? My bad, I guess that's what happens when you only play the bloody thing while drunk. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Really? My bad, I guess that's what happens when you only play the bloody thing while drunk. :p

For the same reasons I'm not gonna bet my house that I'm correct :D

ghostchant wrote: »
    For the same reasons I'm not gonna bet my house that I'm correct :D
    Hah! I do think you use it when positioning yourself for a serve, but not that you have me thinking about it I can't remember about normal play. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Im actually looking forward to the new Time Crisis with the move.

Looks like good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Im actually looking forward to the new Time Crisis with the move.

Looks like good fun.

I would love to see a sack and slash game where you use two controllers. One for your shield and one for sword. Endless hours of entertainment

• Advertisement

padair wrote: »
    I would love to see a sack and slash game where you use two controllers. One for your shield and one for sword. Endless hours of entertainment

What?

I was wearing my gloves.

I would love to see a hack and slash game where you use two controllers. One for your shield and one for sword. Endless hours of entertainment .

I think RPG games would be fun using Move

Sony has lifted the lid on its UK pricing strategy for PlayStation Move with the contents hopefully applying to Ireland, in addition to shedding more light on the Starter Pack that will be released alongside the new peripheral.

You can expect to pay £34.99 for the Motion Controller itself, while the Sub Controller will set you back £24.99. PlayStation Eye, meanwhile, will retail for £24.99.

As for the Starter Pack, it’ll cost £49.99 and includes the Motion Controller, PS Eye and a starter disc. The contents for the disc are as follows:

·Sports Champions
    ·Start the Party!
    ·The Shoot
    ·EyePet: Move Edition
    ·TV Superstars
    ·Tiger Woods PGA TOUR ® 11 (English only)
    ·echochrome ii (PSN title)
    ·Tumble (PSN title)
    ·Beat Sketchers (PSN title)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

As I already have the PS eye, thats still another €70 euro if I want both the move and the sub controller for a game like socom or Killzone. Personally I think Sony are pricing themselves out of the market with the price of the subcontroller....its twice the price I would be willing to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Scráib wrote: »
    This will be interesting. Motion control always struck me as a gimmick that wouldn't really fit with hardcore games, so I want to see what'll come out for the PS3 to use the motion controller after SOCOM.

Have you played Metroid Prime 3? outstanding use as is the upgrade that was given to Zelda.

If done right? outstanding

sarumite wrote: »
    As I already have the PS eye, thats still another €70 euro if I want both the move and the sub controller for a game like socom or Killzone. Personally I think Sony are pricing themselves out of the market with the price of the subcontroller....its twice the price I would be willing to pay for it.

Use a normal controller, the nav is half a six axis and would not be sold at that price.

Going to be getting my hands on them in about 2 weeks for a test run. cant wait much more excited about it than the Kinect at the moment. Its amazing how things have changed from E3 2009 when both where shown everyone was all about the Kinect and laughed at sony's move controllers.

Going to be getting my hands on them in about 2 weeks for a test run. cant wait much more excited about it than the Kinect at the moment. Its amazing how things have changed from E3 2009 when both where shown everyone was all about the Kinect and laughed at sony's move controllers.

Keep us updated Ted..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I don't care how gay the controllers look at least when someone see's me playing a move game through my window they will see I'm holding some sort of controller and not just flailing my arms around like I'm having a fit as I would if i was playing Kinect .

Plus there is the feedback issue move has it Kinect doesn't, I want to feel some sort of tactile feedback when my game sword connects with my enemies I won't get this with kinect .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I want to feel some sort of tactile feedback when my game sword connects with my enemies

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement