Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job before move

Options
  • 12-03-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to secure a job in Oz without actually being their. I have over 14 years experience in I.T. in various senior positions, along with an MBA. At the moment I have a good job, so would not be keen to give that up unless I had something to move to. I'm also in the process of applying for a skilled visa. Is anyone in or have been in a similar position? Are there any agencies that deal with this scenario or is it best to go direct to companies? Or am I wasting my time and really its a case of getting over their? This is a really big decision, as I would be hauling my wife and kids over as well...

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Depends do you intend to get the visa to work in Oz prior to applying or do you want to be sponsored by a firm to work in Oz?

What field of IT, is it on the CSL list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WanttobeOz

I’m happy to get the visa first although it would take longer than I wanted but would also take a sponsorship if that was offered. My concern is that I would not be willing to give up my job here unless I had a job to go to. I have heard from the grapevine of people doing interviews here, getting the job and then moving. I do not know if they had a visa or where sponsored or whether they went through agencies or not…

The skills and experience I have means I can fit into several areas on the CSL, so I should be ok their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It might be worth taking a look at seek.com.au and applying for a few jobs (with a cover note explaining the situation)

For most jobs I can't imagine they'd hire someone without them being in the country yet, but for someone with 15 years' experience they might well be willing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Unless you are going to get sponsored for ENS PR then I would seriously wait until your skilled visa comes through, taking a whole family on 457 wouldn't be economical, ie you all would have to leave Australia before the Permanent Skilled visa is granted.

The only draw back with the ENS is you would have to use your skills assessment to apply for the visa.... you would have to find an exact match of a job to the occupation on your assessment letter.

If you just go Independent skill migration visa you could work at any area of IT.

Also on seek.com.au most jobs have You have to be able to work in Australia to apply for this job. at the bottom of the job description.... Meaning that they are aiming at people who are citizens or have a visa to work in Australia (PR or even WHV). Really this means Dont waste our time there are millions of people seeking Sponsorship.... especially in IT from Mumbai...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

In essence you appear to want to do this the safest route. In my opinion the safest route is

Obtain PR

Apply for jobs while in Ireland stating you have PR.

Wait till one comes up you like and get.

Resign then migrate

Arrive then Start work

Be under no illusion this will take time 1-2 years.

Anyone disagree ..?

• Advertisement
Advertisement