Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of cutting trees

Options
  • 12-03-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all

we will need to cut back/trim evergreen tree to improve sight lines at our entrance. Everyone we've mentioned this to says ah that'll cost you. If anyone has done this could you give me some idea of the cost. Also should we cut the tops off them, they're higher than the telephone poles.
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Why don't you call some local tree surgery companies and get quotes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Newgirl wrote: »
    Hello all

we will need to cut back/trim evergreen tree to improve sight lines at our entrance. Everyone we've mentioned this to says ah that'll cost you. If anyone has done this could you give me some idea of the cost. Also should we cut the tops off them, they're higher than the telephone poles.
    many thanks
    Lots of lads who would do it for a days wage now with plenty of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

greenpeter wrote: »
    Lots of lads who would do it for a days wage now with plenty of experience.
    Thats fine, but Insurance is the thing, what if the tree cutter drops a tree on a vehicle or person and has no Insurance? The householder is then liable for using them.
    Stupid I know but thems the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Git101 wrote: »
    Why don't you call some local tree surgery companies and get quotes ?

+1 on that, with out knowing exactly whats needed it's fairly hard to give a price. Where abouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I can recommend Clare O'Beara in Dublin.
    We've had her out a few times and she is excellent. We found her very reasonable too, but get a few quotes anyway. Some of the quotes from tree surgeons were ridiculous.
    Here is a paste from Golden Pages.

SILVER TREE SURGEONS
    Raheny Dublin 5 Co. Dublin
    Tel: (01)8485898
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~silvertrees
    not yet ratedRate It

Business Info
    Keywords
    Tree surgery, Hedge trimming, Tree felling, Dangerous tree removal, Overgrown hedges, Pruning, Expert witness, Boundary disputes, Domestic, Clare O'Beara
    Payment methods accepted
    Cash, Cheque,
    Categories: Tree Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Hello all

many thanks

I honestly don't think you will need a tree surgeon to do a job like this,(but as advised get a professional quote to compare prices). There are loads of people out there who are experienced enough to cut a few lower branches from trees and topping off, of a tree. You may know a local gardener who is experienced to do this job.

Depending on the position of the tree IE (inside your property or outside IE tree lining on path of road. Someone with a bit of cop on and a little bit of knowledge will help you out here, ( but beware you can only do this job at this time of year March or again in November so as you will not damage the trees!..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hello all

many thanks

Yes tree surgery is expensive and typical day rates are € 800.00 - €850.00 + VAT. This includes 2 men, cutting, on-site shredding and removal of waste. Stump grinding is usually costed separately and costs vary and will be depend on factors such as root size, accessibility etc. It may be possible to achieve lower day rates eg € 650.00.

Of course you might be able to strike a deal but ensure whoever completes the work is competent and insured. Any damage caused during tree felling may not be covered by your household insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

thank you all for those replies
    all very helpful

Advertisement