Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delgany - Family Research

Options
  • 12-03-2010 3:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a little family history research for a friend and I have a question for my Wicklow friends :)

William Cooke Mcalister was a driver who was shot on June 28, 1922 on the first say of the Battle of Dublin. The announcement in the Irish Times states that he was from Glenbrook, Delgany.

I've looked up Google Maps and found Delgany but no placename as exact as just Glenbrook (I understand that there's a Glenbrook park?)

What I'd like to know is where would someone whose religion was Church of Ireland be buired if their address was Glenbrook, Delgany.

Thanks for any help you can offer !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Delgany Church of Ireland would seem mostly likely. St. Pat's? I think

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Another possibility would be the old Redford cemetery in Greystones. (Not the modern one on the main Bray/Greystones road, the smaller COI one off the Grove).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Good Point, forgot about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There are 3 Church of Ireland graveyards where it is possible that he was buried, 2 in Delgany (1 beside the church and 1 on the corner beside the old Delgany Inn) and 1 at the entrance to the Grove at the bottom of Windgates.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thx all !

Looks like a trip back to Ireland is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm doing a little family history research for a friend and I have a question for my Wicklow friends :)

William Cooke Mcalister was a driver who was shot on June 28, 1922 on the first say of the Battle of Dublin. The announcement in the Irish Times states that he was from Glenbrook, Delgany.

I've looked up Google Maps and found Delgany but no placename as exact as just Glenbrook (I understand that there's a Glenbrook park?)

What I'd like to know is where would someone whose religion was Church of Ireland be buired if their address was Glenbrook, Delgany.

Thanks for any help you can offer !

Just as a matter of Interest, what side was he on as many COI Wicklow people are/where very Republican ?

Huntthe wrote: »
    Just as a matter of Interest, what side was he on as many COI Wicklow people are/where very Republican ?

Neither as far as I can tell. Family stories says that he was shot while working (driving someone somewhere) but not that he was actively involved.

Then again I found an article from the Irish Times where his wife is claiming compo from the government for his death. I'm not too sure why she would be doing this unless he was in their employment or there was a legal reasoning behind it.

He wasn't actually from Wicklow, but born in Dublin. His wife was a Beatrice Gray who's entire family moved to Bray from Kingston-upon-Thames about 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did you look at the 1911 census online?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Did you look at the 1911 census online?

Yes :)

Found him working in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The churches keep records of burials, i'm not sure how far back they go but it's a fair bit.

It'd be worth getting in touch with the COI priests to see if they can look it up for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement