Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which cycling club is this?

• 12-03-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Might be a bit off topic. This is the video to Microdisneys Town to Town from about 1985 or so, great song brings back some great memories, but does anyone know anything about the lads cycling at 2:10, what club were they in ?

I presume this is Dublin or Cork or somewhere in Ireland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To54avt1wJI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

bijapos wrote: »
    Might be a bit off topic. This is the video to Microdisneys Town to Town from about 1985 or so, great song brings back some great memories, but does anyone know anything about the lads cycling at 2:10, what club were they in ?

I presume this is Dublin or Cork or somewhere in Ireland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To54avt1wJI

Thank you. Huge Cathal Coughlan fan.
    Fatima Mansions are IMHO the best band ever to come out of this country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thank you. Huge Cathal Coughlan fan.
    Fatima Mansions are IMHO the best band ever to come out of this country.

They were fecking deadly alright.

el tonto wrote: »
    They were fecking deadly alright.

1000% deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

:eek:

e3ech.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Yes they were a great band, great live band too, regret never getting to see Fatima Mansions live but twas one of the pains of emigration :).

Compare them to the sh1te Cowell trots out today, and indeed Stock Aiken and Waterman in the 80's-90's and it's a different league.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    :eek:

e3ech.jpg

Twas the 80's Lumen. Different approach to life back then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

<bcmf puts on his 80's hat>
    As far as I remember Microdisney although an Irish band I think were ,as a band, born and bred in London and the Video is shot in ,what looks like, East London.
    As far as the team goes.....havent a clue.

Microdisney were one of a plethora of fantastic Irish bands going around at the time.
    Light a Big Fire,Les Enfants, Cry Before Dawn etc etc ahhhhhh great days indeed.
    The 80's recession was better simply because we had better music

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    <bcmf puts on his 80's hat>
    As far as I remember Microdisney although an Irish band I think were ,as a band, born and bred in London and the Video is shot in ,what looks like, East London.
    As far as the team goes.....havent a clue.

Microdisney were one of a plethora of fantastic Irish bands going around at the time.
    Light a Big Fire,Les Enfants, Cry Before Dawn etc etc ahhhhhh great days indeed.
    The 80's recession was better simply because we had better music

I thought they were from Cork but moved to London to try to make it.

Loved them and the Fatima Mansion's especially.
    I've still fot a Fatima Mansions 12 inch on Vinyl (Only losers take the bus :)).

Apart from the arms looks a bit like the LesJeunes kit.

RobFowl wrote: »
    I thought they were from Cork but moved to London to try to make it.

Loved them and the Fatima Mansion's especially.
    I've still fot a Fatima Mansions 12 inch on Vinyl (Only losers take the bus :)).

Apart from the arms looks a bit like the LesJeunes kit.

That is correct AFAIK.
    So many good tunes.
    Viva Dead ponies, Bareknuckle inspector, Berties Brouchures, Evil Man, 1000%, Ray of Hope, North Atlantic Wind, Only Losers, etc tec

I lost my vinyl collection years ago so bught the entire back catalogue on ebay about 4 years ago.

Dont be arguing with me .I am right and you are wrong.

BTW Our stickers are ready. I was supposed to go over yesterday but you know what Thursdays are like for me

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA3bBB1bb6I

A classic 80's track given a 00's workover and still sounding brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This thread is making me feel very young. :)

you are very young and some of us are very experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

One of my all time favourites. Especially the original. Sounds like a good taste in music and biking goes hand in hand.

I used to love the music that came out of New York in the mid 80's. It was one place in time I would love to have been but was just that bit too young
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TBmeK9Abg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw6yROv3TeM

What was the thread about again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Grimpeur

One of my favourite tracks of all time...thanks for the memories!

If you check the video @ 2.26 you'll see what looks like 'easterley' written on shorts.

http://www.easterleycycling.org.uk/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Grimpeur wrote: »
    One of my favourite tracks of all time...thanks for the memories!

If you check the video @ 2.26 you'll see what looks like 'easterley' written on shorts.

http://www.easterleycycling.org.uk/

Looks like the culprits all right
    julia%20at%20eastway%202.jpg

What was the thread about again....
    Who cares, just make sure to invite me to your next party :)

The last party I had Rob Fowls beer got nicked (by my dad as it turned out) and my wife disconneted my mp3 player after a short time saying 'we are in the 21sr century now'
    In fact she is starting to worry about me 'cause I came out of HMV with 'The best of Japan' last Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

This video sparked something in the back of my head. Did the Eagle Cycling Club have riders in a video or Ad back around this time too. Might have been Bus Eireann ad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    This thread is making me feel very young. :)

I can understand you not remembering Microdisney. I was primary school when they were going and only discovered them later. But surely you're old enough to remember Fatima Mansions???

Only losers take the bus. Fatima Mansions Circa 1990, I first saw it on Rapido with Antoine DeCaune ...

+
    I used to love the music that came out of New York in the mid 80's. It was one place in time I would love to have been but was just that bit too young
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TBmeK9Abg

=

(Had the Album on tape the cover had all the ages of consent for homosexual sex, Ireland and one other country were given pide of place are it was still illegal here:o, absolute cracker of and album "Age of consent" Bronski Beat)

Great memories there Robfowl. Jimmy Sommerville had some voice. Almond was truly outrageous with is onstage antics at the time. Surprised he made it through in one piece. He wrote some classic songs.

Sounds like your parties might just be as good as bcmf's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

All this talk just prompted me to download 'Come Back My Children' just for 'Blues For Ceausescu', still sounds as fresh as ever!

I have spent the entire morning listening to the bands of my Inter/Leaving cert years on youtube.
    The mansions,
    A house,
    The Pale

Christ what is it with music these days. I just dont get it anymore. I think I am stuck in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ha! My teenage son keeps listening to the bands of my Inter/Leaving cert years...

Zeppelin, AcDc, Deep Purple etc...

Oh, and to the likes of Napalm Death, Rage Against The Machine and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Grimpeur

[In fact she is starting to worry about me 'cause I came out of HMV with 'The best of Japan' last Sun[/QUOTE]

That reminds me: Must download 'Visions of China'.

and I thought I was one of the few 80's kids
    on here.
    L'Eroica beckons...(I wish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

RobFowl wrote: »
    +

=

(Had the Album on tape the cover had all the ages of consent for homosexual sex, Ireland and one other country were given pide of place are it was still illegal here:o, abslute cracker of and album "Age of consent" Bronshi Beat)
    danced like a loon to bronski beat and soft cell in the appartment disco in dublin city center in the 80s , magic times . oh what i would give to be transported back in time for one last night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

ROK ON wrote: »

Christ what is it with music these days. I just dont get it anymore. I think I am stuck in the past.

What, don't like po po po pokerface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kevvhayes

phew!!!
    was starting to think i was the only auld one on here! great memories of microdisney, fatima mansions and the wonderful wonderful a house. btw dave couse has a great new album out at the moment!

Sorry to drag this up but i got in contact with the secretary of Easterley Road Club about the Microdisney video and this is the reply I got back.

Yes, I remember that quite clearly; hard to believe it was almost a quarter of a century ago! The whole thing was done as part of the video, filmed on the old Silvertown Way flyover*, now long demolished. There's no back projection used here, just a flatbed lorry with a perspex sided studio/stage so that bit where the band are running and climb up was done for real and not faked. While we're on screen for less than a minute it took most of the morning to film that part! The main problem was timing; we had to ride quite slowly at first to let the lorry catch up with us and on the first few takes we ran out of road too soon, reaching the point where the road starts to drop down to normal street level so you wouldn't get the proper view at the back. I might even have the copy of the video they gave to us after it was edited, in the back of a cupboard somewhere! Thanks for the link, that's much easier to find.
    Either later that year or early the next some members were also involved in a advert for Pepsi or Coke on the back of this.
    Hope this info is helpful.
    All the best,
    Bernard Taylor, Easterley R.C.

* a little bit about this here: http://www.royaldockstrust.org.uk/popup.htm towards the bottom of the page

This is the video, the "action" starts around 2:12

Thank you Bijapos.
    I can't believe the conincidence as I was listenting to Cathal Coughlan as I did a turbo session last night.
    Class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement