Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppies and worms!!

Options
  • 12-03-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

My friend recently got a rottie pup who is gorgeous!! she thinks the pup has worms because she has lost a lot of weight recently,She went to the petshop and was given driptom or something like that (it's what the vet prescibes) and she gave the pup half a tablet yesterday, But some people have told her that when a puppy has worms they need to be brought to the vet and some have said they just need a good wormer, My friend is starting to get worried now because she doesn't know whether or not she needs to bring the pup or not and especially since it €45 to see the vet anybody please advise???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Ring the vet and ask ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

my friend did and the sectary said "oh i don't know I wouldn't be able to tell you over the phone"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Never heard of driptom? Could it have been drontal? Has the pup passed any worms and why does your friend think the weight loss is connected? Usually pups with alot of worms have big swollen bellies, did her pup have this? You can buy good wormers over the counter from your vet without having a consultation.

If it is a case that this pup is very worm bound then I would advise that your friend see the vet and get proper instructions of what to worm her pup with and how often. Has the pup had it's vaccinations?

Personally I use Parazole with pups as it's gentle on their tummies. Pups should be wormed every 2 weeks until 12 weeks, every month until 6 months and then every 3 months for life. Always make sure that the right dose for weight is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+1 for Parazole on pups, gentle on small bellies.

Has the pup had ok poos? And is she eating alright? Is she in "normal" form? If her pup is pretty wormy it would be tired, be hungry all the time (but then, most pups are!) and have the trademark pot belly. If the pup has dodgy poos it could be a gastro infection and it would need ot be seen by a vet. Also, if it has lost loads of weight it will need to get checked out to make sure there isn't an underlying problem and so your friend can get advice on feeding it back up (often, the vet will give you some food to help with this).

Please let us know how your friend (and pup) gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Will she not have to take the mutt in any case to the vet for vaccinations, so can she not do the whole lot in one go

• Advertisement

+1 for Parazole on pups, gentle on small bellies.

Has the pup had ok poos? And is she eating alright? Is she in "normal" form? If her pup is pretty wormy it would be tired, be hungry all the time (but then, most pups are!) and have the trademark pot belly. If the pup has dodgy poos it could be a gastro infection and it would need ot be seen by a vet. Also, if it has lost loads of weight it will need to get checked out to make sure there isn't an underlying problem and so your friend can get advice on feeding it back up (often, the vet will give you some food to help with this).

Please let us know how your friend (and pup) gets on.

Yes Drontal sorry i couldn't remenber the correct name!!! yeah pup is happy full of life but she does sleep a bit which i thought was normal for a pup she has a pot belly and is very heavy but i think that is down to the breed it just you can feel her ribs a bit,her poos are not runny,We have put her on bennots high quality food aswell

Will she not have to take the mutt in any case to the vet for vaccinations, so can she not do the whole lot in one go

pup is already fully vacintated she is 17 wks old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Feeling ribs in a young pup is totally normal, some of them can be skinny because they are doing so much growing that they don't have any left over for fat! Bursts of energy followed by lots of sleeping is totally normal too.

The pot belly should go down once the worms have been treated. Just be sure to weight the pup, follow instructions to the letter, and use puppy wormer (normal is too harsh for little pups!). Also, as Toulouse said, worm the pup every 2 weeks until it is 4 months, every month until it is (at least) 6 months and every 3 months after. They can pick up worms very easily so if she needs to be done more after 6 months then there is no problem dosing her.

Feeling ribs in a young pup is totally normal, some of them can be skinny because they are doing so much growing that they don't have any left over for fat! Bursts of energy followed by lots of sleeping is totally normal too.

The pot belly should go down once the worms have been treated. Just be sure to weight the pup, follow instructions to the letter, and use puppy wormer (normal is too harsh for little pups!). Also, as Toulouse said, worm the pup every 2 weeks until it is 4 months, every month until it is (at least) 6 months and every 3 months after. They can pick up worms very easily so if she needs to be done more after 6 months then there is no problem dosing her.

ok thanks a mill! I'll tell her

Advertisement