Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US grad schools foreign language requirements

Options
  • 12-03-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on doing a masters in English in Ireland this year, and am considering the possibility of pursuing a PhD in the US afterwards. However, all the US English programmes I've looked at stipulate that PhD candidates must be either 'proficient' in the reading of two foreign languages, or else fluent in one. I am neither, but I am planning to learn some French. Does anyone have any experience of this in American grad schools? I'm wondering how difficult these requirements are to meet. They seem to typically define 'proficient' as being capable of translating a short passage from a foreign language into idiomatic English, with the aid of a dictionary, in the space of 90mins. However, I don't know what kind of passage they have in mind (if they asked candidates, for example, to translate a complex passage from some literary theorist, I imagine that would be particularly difficult.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Did you learn Irish in school? Because since it's now an official EU language I'd wonder if it could count...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Actually they do seem to accept Irish - unfortunately I was never much good at it!

Advertisement