Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Sligo

Options
  • 12-03-2010 5:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I went to Sligo on a Saturday recently , came off the inner relief road and had a job trying to find parking. Where Johnston court is now, there used to be a car park on part of that site. Instead of building more car parking spaces in Sligo there are less. Someone said there the Corporation have planning got for ( and are going to build ) a new 95 space car park between the town centre and inner relief road. ( Adelaide street ? ) . The sooner this happens the better. All I hear my friends complain about is the lack of car parking spaces in town, easily accessible between the shops and inner relief road. Lets hope it will be free or very cheap. Anyone know when this will be built , or any other plans to solve Sligos parking crisis ? Seems to me if there was plenty of free parking it would help a lot of shops stay in business + encourage people to stop, shop, browse around + have a coffee etc. Do the authorities want people in Sligo at all ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I can't believe I'm saying this but the parking situation in Sligo isn't that bad anymore and it hasn't been for a while either.
    To be honest there is ample parking in Sligo but everybody just wants to park as close to the shops they want to go to, I always park in either Quayside or on Connaughton Road, there is always loads of spaces on Connaughton Road but to be honest I think people are getting to lazy to park up there and won't be bothered walking towards the town centre.
    The parking situation has been ok recently since town is getting so quite.

Of course needless to say the amount it costs to park in Sligo is still a pain in the backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I park in a spot about 4 minute walk from o'connel street where no one seems to pay because I think wardens just couldnt be bothered walking over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I always park in the Glasshouse. There's 3 levels of parking and the bottom one is always fairly empty no matter what the time or day. 1euro an hour (used to be 1.20) to park, lift up to the ground floor of the hotel, 30 seconds walk and you're at the top of O'Connell Street.

No queues in the carpark, no trying to squeeze into tiny spaces, no people walking around, right in the heart of town - it's the best spot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

bottom of connaughton road the caravans are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

/Checks back garden :eek:

I needed to go to Toher's Chemist last Tuesday midday. I circled and circled Tesco car park and not a hope of a space. I ended up parking on the double yellows outside Toher's and hyperventilating while waiting for my prescription.

There is definitely still an issue with parking.

• Advertisement

/Off Topic/ One of the residents of the car park packed everything in school yesterday and said they were moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

/Checks back garden :eek:

I needed to go to Toher's Chemist last Tuesday midday. I circled and circled Tesco car park and not a hope of a space. I ended up parking on the double yellows outside Toher's and hyperventilating while waiting for my prescription.

*cough* Glasshouse *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

/Off Topic/ One of the residents of the car park packed everything in school yesterday and said they were moving.
    Ah no....please dont tell me this is true???they will be sadly missed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

/

There is more of an issue with lazy people who would drive into the shop if they could. It's all the lemmings who moved out to suburbanise the countryside that have ruined the town with traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

If I got a free mansion with stables on the Bundoran Road and a six figure sum in pocket money I'd scarper too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Stevedore wrote: »
    If I got a free mansion with stables on the Bundoran Road and a six figure sum in pocket money I'd scarper too
    Who the hell signed off on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you can't find parking in town, you really shouldn't be even allowed drive a car.

If you can't find parking in town, you really shouldn't be even allowed drive a car.

How does a lack of parking spaces affect your ability to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I never had a problem parking in sligo. Just a bit out of the center, 4 min walk tops.

big car park at the Mall is always empty. Always space in the quayside (except christmas). Always parking in the glasshouse.

Don't shop in sligo much though, we get it delivered (cheaper and doesn't cost anytime:D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

+1. They need more spaces, and the Borough Council should provide cheaper parking - or preferably free - if they want to entice people to shop in Sligo, and browse around the bookshops, coffee shops etc etc. It needs to be in Sligo and yet easily accessed from the inner relief road, which is how most visitors come in to Sligo. The one way system is too confusing for many visitors to Sligo and the high cost of parking puts off people. Its obvious more and cheaper car parking needs to be provided between the town centre and the inner relief road. Everyone would benefit.

N.B. if people have heavy bags of shopping, and or/kids in tow, and /or are old or with mobility problems, its didfficult to try to entice them to Sligo if car parks are not easily accessible or are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No point in tackling Tesco Car Park at peak-times..

Give your feet a bit of a exercise and park either on JFK Parade or Abbey Street Car Park.

You're guaranteed a space in one or the other, though JFK Parade can be quite busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Folks I cannot believe people cannot find parking in Town. I always go to the lower deck of Quayside and nearly always get in. If not then Glasshouse is my third port of call. Don’t want to say my second :D but its free on Saturdays and always got spaces.
    Even if you had to walk from the CC building but you really shouldn’t have to go that far out, its still only a couple of minutes walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

bennyc wrote: »
    Even if you had to walk from the CC building but you really shouldn’t have to go that far out, its still only a couple of minutes walk.
    Where is the CC building ? Is it easy to find from the road in to Sligo ? Is it feasible to walk there from the town centre ( eg Tesco or Pennys or Dunnes ) with a bag of shopping in each hand ? Great if it is, especially if its free. No need to rush over the coffee / lunch then !

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

there are many reasons why people want to park as close to a shop as possible, not fit to walk, heavy bags, trolley, buggy, lazyness, time constraint, etc. If convenient parking is not provided people will go elsewhere. Its cheaper and quicker to provide the parking than to try and change group behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have never not gotten a space in Quayside, and you can't really get much more central than that, only €1 an hour too!

If I'm in for the day then I park up at Connaughton Road, €2.50 for a full day, and I don't think that place has ever been full, ever! And it's maybe three minutes walk to O'Connell Street from there?

Obviously if you're disabled, elderly etc, maybe this wouldn't be ideal ... for the vast majority of people though, parking in Sligo shouldn't be difficult to find and the prices are actually quite reasonable, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Having moved here from Galway, I regularly get gasps of disbelief when I mention to colleagues that I park 5 minutes outside the town (free) & walk the 5 minutes into the town centre.
    If it's raining (or if I have lots of shopping) I park in Quayside or Glasshouse. I have to admit to doing grocery shopping in Dunnes because of the parking issue with Tesco {also the _horrible_ layout of Tesco is off-putting but that's a thread for another day ;)}
    I also don't bother with paying after 5pm at the moment as the Council is having issues with traffic wardens & has cut hours & part-time staff so they clock off at 5. Used to work on O Connell St & was never bothered with in Tesco carpark if I didn't pay after 4-4.30ish.
    Don't think parking is over-priced as such, it's just that, given how un-user-friendly both Sligo carparks in relation to Sligo shopping & the layout of the shops themselves as a shopping area, it's not worth the hassle. Pay to park in Quayside to look around the shops there, then all the way out to Argos/Smyths before going to Tesco in order to not have to carry heavy grocery shopping? Not to mention the mess that is Carraroe! TBH I'd prefer go somewhere I can do it all under one roof. Not saying I do, just find that I only do half my shopping because of the hassle.
    How's that for laziness?!?

Advertisement