Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Budget-Tax makes no sense

• 12-03-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I am after getting a couple of pay cuts and currently am earning 28000euro a year. Just realised that the 4% Health Levy is applied to your entire salary if you earn more than 500per week(ie26000 per year), but you are not charged this levy if you earn less than 26000. This means that anyone earning between 26001-27450Euro will have a lower take home pay than someone on 26000. For me on 28000, I am paying 87%tax on the 2000Euro above the 26000. Seems ridiculus to me! Checked this with an accountant I know who works in payroll for a different company and he said he came to realise this when he gave an employee a small pay rise that resulted in a net pay cut!
    What genius came up with this system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Kellzer wrote: »
    I am after getting a couple of pay cuts and currently am earning 28000euro a year. Just realised that the 4% Health Levy is applied to your entire salary if you earn more than 500per week(ie26000 per year), but you are not charged this levy if you earn less than 26000. This means that anyone earning between 26001-27450Euro will have a lower take home pay than someone on 26000. For me on 28000, I am paying 87%tax on the 2000Euro above the 26000. Seems ridiculus to me! Checked this with an accountant I know who works in payroll for a different company and he said he came to realise this when he gave an employee a small pay rise that resulted in a net pay cut!

yep its a total mess, especially if you are self employed, there's quite alot of these "traps" which actively discourage working more

tho apparently it will be all simplified with a "social solidarity tax" next year

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    yep its a total mess, especially if you are self employed, there's quite alot of these "traps" which actively discourage working more

tho apparently it will be all simplified with a "social solidarity tax" next year

I was under the impression from Lenihans post budget comments that the tax changes would be made before this summer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kellzer wrote: »
    If I remember correctly France has it on it's normal tax system where as soon as you breach a given tax level you pay that tax on your full salary. This of course means that if you just go over it your net pay becomes less then before the raise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I was under the impression from Lenihans post budget comments that the tax changes would be made before this summer

Hhmm I read somewhere that it wont be till 2011 until they sort this mess by rolling up all the charges and levies into one

but if it comes sooner then all the better, and easier to understand tax system aint a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

tax changes require a budget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

What sort of donkeys have we got in charge with glaring anomalies like the OP mentions.

Another really unfair one is the motor tax. If your well off enough to afford a 2008, 2009 or 2010 car then you get to pay road tax based on emissions. But the poorer members still have the pay the old system which just happens to be more expensive.

Advertisement