Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

brummytom wrote: »
    And Coventry's a shithole

Jesus Christ, how many times has this thread been done now?!
    You've got good-looking and not so good-looking people, just like every other country.

a toilet pot indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Ye but its the percentage of each, was in Krakow last year and there are much more good looking people than ugly ones, even the ugly ones weren't that bad!!

And was in Uni in london for years and i'm telling ya man the standard of the 19-24yr old is much higher than here

I dont know what part of London you were living in. I can tell it wasnt Kentish Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

orourkeda wrote: »
    I dont know what part of London you were living in. I can tell it wasnt Kentish Town.

i was in the Uni of Hertfordshie, and granted the locals weren't great but the other students, ladies, were incredible!!

I mean it was so easy to spot the irish students, both male and female, but at the other side of the scale all of the irish women were so much sounder, and great craic. But i did here on plenty of occassions the English lads complaining about the irish ladies and their weight.

these are just my observations, i'm no looker either!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

maybe the ad for supermacs on this page doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

In parts of Kerry and Cork there is a lot of Spanish blood due to the sailors who came from the sunken Spanish Armada and shacked up.

In the West Cork area there were Algerian pirates in the 1600s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

In parts of Kerry and Cork there is a lot of Spanish blood due to the sailors who came from the sunken Spanish Armada and shacked up.

It's a bit of a myth that they 'shacked up' here mostly because any of the sailors that survived from the crash were caught by the English officers and executed and most of the Irish people turned in any sailors trying to seek refugee in the area that may have escaped from the English officers shortly after the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged into the Ugly Irish thread.

Irish aren't ugly per se but the ugly ones are real ugly. Spanish people aren't all beautiful but their ugly ones are still not super ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Haha, I remember my Dad saying to me when I was about 12 that Irish women are an ugly bunch.(he's English and lives in France) Great, thanks Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gekko wrote: »
    I'm sure it can't be just me that thinks this.

Every week my local paper has photos of people in the local pubs and 98% of the people in the photos, when the camera flashes, it just makes them look like they have big pasty, Irish potato heads.

Look on most Irish dating sites - I was on the most popular Irish one yesterday - and there must have been some of the ugliest women I've ever seen on there.

Some of them look 20 years older than their stated age.

Most of the women lack any sense of being fashionable, well dressed, maybe 1 in 200 have any kind of elegance about them.

You of course being the picture of studliness with great looks and style.....which is why you are trawling the dating sties, aye ???
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The Irish are not a "race"
    Hmmmm eh. Ok I see why you say this and I agree. But I also disagree. Race is just such a loaded word I guess. Hmmm perhaps ethnicity is a better word ???
    But let me put it this way. People who can trace their genetic lineage to this Island are a genetically distinct group of people. This is evidenced by the fact that they have the highest rates worldwide of several genetic diseases - cystic fibrosis, haemochromatosis, coeliac disease - implying they were isolated long enough here for the genome to have developed these traits. So do you call this a race, ethnicity or what ?
    blinding wrote: »
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually no it isn't. There's a science behind it. Its to do with symmetry and proportions etc. You can objectively measure someone and determine if they are beautiful or not. You can program a computer to do it with faces. Thou there are exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Dont know if it has been mentioned yet or not, but did anyone see Australian Idol when that Damien Leith(?) was on it 3 years ago, i think he was from Dublin or something.

At his first audition there was a washed up nobody of a judge that looked as if he had just used fully a grown human being as a suppository called Mark Holden, anyway after Damien Leith finished singing the oil painting that is Mark Holden came out with the now infamous quote of "Your an ugly bugger but boy you can sing" pot and kettle springs to mind, anyway the paddy won and is now better known as a Author than a singer i think.

How is that for a pointless story, there is one minute in your life you will never get back

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We're not THAT ugly but a lot of us don't look after ourselves or exercise etc and binge drink too much and our diets aren't the best so I think we could look a lot better if we all tried a little harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

SugarHigh wrote: »
    We are probably more inbred then mainland europe and our ancestors were a bit slower then everyone else when it came to getting civilised.

Ah good old civilisation , sure if it wasent for the English we would still be in waddle and daub houses throwing ****e on the walls!
    Go read the Brehon laws , you idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

a few reasons.....
    - Red hair (copper toppers with pale skin)
    - Farmers tan ( can be seen in no other country only ireland)
    - freckles (just terrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

MJ23 wrote: »
    a few reasons.....
    - Red hair (copper toppers with pale skin)
    - Farmers tan ( can be seen in no other country only ireland)
    - freckles (just terrible)

I like girls with freckles and red hair and pale skin, but Farmers tan doen't sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I heard Dylan Moran last night saying that every Irish person looked as if there was another person trapped inside them trying to burst its way out, followed by gurning and wild gesturing etc. Was funny tbh

But seriously, isn't a lot of attractiveness about how you carry yourself and what confidence you have? Perhaps historically and socially we revelled to much in being da cute underdog elbowing each other in the ribs at the cut of everyone else.
    Not so much the case these days I think, we're more at ease now (and I loathe to use 'we' as an Irish generalisation) but a confident stature does wonders for anyone and I certainly 'we' are moreso than we may have been when people picture the stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ah good old civilisation , sure if it wasent for the English we would still be in waddle and daub houses throwing ****e on the walls!
    Go read the Brehon laws , you idiot.

That is a terribly ignorant comment @sugarhigh. Do yourself a favour and read your Irish history

Ireland from the 5th to 12/13th century a European centre for religious and cultural learning. The Brehon Law syetem with it's equal opportunities to women and complexitity was far more advanced and liberal than the Common law system that the English brought in. A lot of what we know about the 'Dark Ages' is thanks to the work of Irish scholars. Britain in particular was a barbaric society and they reduced us to their level.

There was a good documentary out last year about how the Irish educated the English and they introduced reading and writing to the masses in Britain.

Not only were the Brehon Laws some of the most advanced in Europe, but only Greek and Latin are older than Gaelic in European languages. That's just because Latin is still the official language of the Vatican.

It was the English during the 15/16th centuries that destroyed the monastries, the flight of the Earls, Penal Laws etc etc and general policy of oppression and brutality that set Ireland back hundreds of years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is a terribly ignorant comment @sugarhigh. Do yourself a favour and read your Irish history
    +1
    Ireland from the 5th to 12/13th century a European centre for religious and cultural learning. The Brehon Law syetem with it's equal opportunities to women and complexitity was far more advanced and liberal than the Common law system that the English brought in. A lot of what we know about the 'Dark Ages' is thanks to the work of Irish scholars.
    In a big way. Plus we preserved much of the Latin canon that would otherwise have disappeared forever. The european church was preserving some stuff, in small pockets, but it was sporadic, open to attack from various tribes and they were only interested in religious texts. We went from an oral tradition to a literate one in very short order and fell in love with it and we translated and copied everything and anything we could get our hands on, including a load of classical texts. Much to the disaproval of visiting churchmen from europe who came to study here down the line.
    Britain in particular was a barbaric society and they reduced us to their level.
    That's equally too broad a stroke too in fairness. After rome fell britain was in trouble. The saxon invasions hit them hard too, but there still existed some vestiges of rule and education. St Patrick a roman britain/celt came from an educated romano christian background.
    There was a good documentary out last year about how the Irish educated the English and they introduced reading and writing to the masses in Britain.
    Well we brought christianity and writing to the scots and further south(replaced the original languages of scotland with gaelic to boot). The english like to say augustine convertered them, but he was a bit late to the party.
    Not only were the Brehon Laws some of the most advanced in Europe,
    +1. after rome fell the notion of codified law in western europe took a major hit.
    but only Greek and Latin are older than Gaelic in European languages. That's just because Latin is still the official language of the Vatican.
    Lithuanian would be older. Greek, while differing from classical Greek would be a pretty old continually spoken language alright. Basque being outside the indo european language structure is very old. Possibly an isolated fossil of languages spoken at the fringes of europe before the indo european languages inc Irish came in.
    It was the English during the 15/16th centuries that destroyed the monastries, the flight of the Earls, Penal Laws etc etc and general policy of oppression and brutality that set Ireland back hundreds of years.
    More and more I would be blaming the norse/french, if blame is required. For most of the issues that befell these islands. Later generations just took up the banner. On both sides. The inhabitants of these islands when the romans invaded britain were pretty much the same mix of peoples. What we might call "celtic" today. The welsh, the scots and yes the english too. After rome legged it, the saxons invaded east britain and moved the celts further west, but the saxons were actual celts from mainland europe(who it seems never made it here in any great numbers previously, only their culture).

Then came the Normans to finish what the vikings started. People forget they butchered the english(inc the english themselves). Massively dispossessed them. The english are proud of magna carta, but its a norman french document. It was centuries after the invasion before an english king could even speak the language of those he ruled over. All the while they were fighting with other normans, sometimes from the same families in france. They came here too, but integrated way more than in britain. So at the back of it all its the bleedin scandinavian french. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

This Irish=ugly thing is IMO purely a result of inexperience of other countries/cultures and media images of beauty.

For every 3 am paparrazzi shot of the beautiful people in Grouchos or whatever there is a sad, sorry subhuman featured inbred in a tower block in Stockwell.

Let me tell you, there are millions of ugly English, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish...

I've seen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

You get ugly people everywhere, it's all taste anyway.

Ireland is no different, did a ginger piss in your cornflakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

profitius wrote: »
    I have been to Germany many times and lets be clear, nobody wears tracksuites in Germany. I have seen a fair few Polish wearing tracksuites and baseball caps.

I agree about pride in apperance.

I was in Munich when Germany played England in 2001 and I saw a rake off Germans with mullets wearing tshirts ripped at the sleeves and cut off jeans. Now when I first saw a group of them I thought they were dressed up for a laugh but I soon realised that Germany has its own brand of tracker knackers. In every country you will find fat, drunken, ugly and badly dressed people unless they are in the middle of a famine.

If your Irish and concerned you may have an ugly child just shack up with a foreigner and you are bound to have better looking children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

profitius wrote: »
    I once heard somebody say they Germans are ugly but I tend to have the opposite opinion.

Me too.

This is relevant. A lot of opinions of attractiveness are informed from cultural/historical reasons.

E.g. many Poles will consider Germans to be ugly.

Other Scandinavians often consider Finns to be ugly.

Spanish...Portuguese etc etc

None of it makes much sense, just centuries of friction - from antagonism to mass murder.

Japanese people think the entire population of Europe are ugly, have huge noses and stink of sour milk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

yes my mums family comes from spain.. thats why her father is pure tan and black hair!! i mean pitch black.. and they came from the hebrities before that!

Well we brought christianity and writing to the scots and further south(replaced the original languages of scotland with gaelic to boot). The english like to say augustine convertered them, but he was a bit late to the party.

no not all scottish people come from here.. my family came over here from scotland and before that they came from england.. infact its only areas in the highlands which would desend from ireland..

Ireland from the 5th to 12/13th century a European centre for religious and cultural learning. The Brehon Law syetem with it's equal opportunities to women and complexitity was far more advanced and liberal than the Common law system that the English brought in. A lot of what we know about the 'Dark Ages' is thanks to the work of Irish scholars. Britain in particular was a barbaric society and they reduced us to their level.

Not only were the Brehon Laws some of the most advanced in Europe, but only Greek and Latin are older than Gaelic in European languages. That's just because Latin is still the official language of the Vatican.

leave english people alone for once!! good god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fenianjohn

im living in oz from ireland i feel real ugly beside alot of people out here wish i was at home where im the only hunk in the village ha ha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

owenc wrote: »

no not all scottish people come from here.. my family came over here from scotland and before that they came from england.. infact its only areas in the highlands which would desend from ireland..
    Never mentioned once that they did :confused:. But genetically, you're more likely to get gene exchange between Ireland and Scotland between the (eastern) lowlands and coastal areas than in the highlands. Which is what has been found in the gene studies Ive read. Actually it's hard to work out the differences, mostly because Ireland, Wales Scotland and northern England populations are very very similar with similar ancient roots. They likely came over at the same time after the ice retreated and exchanged genes back and forth through trade along the seaboards including as far south as france and spain. The neolithic culture common to such regions would suggest that too.

Further east and south in Britain you get more Saxon genes and in the north of scotland the viking. The further west you go in Ireland the more the older genes show up. In general the peoples of these islands are pretty closely related dropping off as you go south and east.

The Greeks and Romans noted this waaaay back. Ptolemy's map referenced tribal names that were shared with scotland and britain, even south east britain. Caesar and the roman writers said the same. The very name Scotland is pretty much latin for irishland or more correctly gaelic land. The connection was so strong that in the middle ages actual Irish types would add the word "Eriugena" to their name to denote the difference(often because Irish scholars were in the highest demand in mainland europe. EG Johannes Scottus Eriugena, one of the first real novel philosophers of the early middle ages*. If he was Scotish John he would be Johannes Scottus, but as he is "Irish John" the extra bit was added.

The irony shows up the most in Ulster. A lot of the planters were scots protestants, who had originally gained the religion they fought over with the locals from the same locals and back and forth that relationship went, genetically and culturally.

*He's worth reading more on. Hes the guy who usd to be on the old irish fiver. the ugly bald guy(back on topic :o:D)Clever clever bastid. Influenced many later thinkers. Was massively distrusted by the roman church and after his death various popes tried to expunge him from history. Burning his books and the like. Which in of itself is enough to recommend the bloke. Good sense of humour, if wicked. As an epitaph on the death of some anti irish french bishop whose name escapes he wrote(from my baad memory) "Here lies X a crook, but evil greed aside, he did one noble thing, he died". On the píss with the Holy roman emperor the same asked Johnno "what separates a moron from an irishman?". "Only this table" says our Johhno :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

fenianjohn wrote: »
    im living in oz from ireland i feel real ugly beside alot of people out here wish i was at home where im the only hunk in the village ha ha

I miss Irish birds tbh. Having met so many nationalities here in Oz I can definitely say Irish women are probably in the top 5 most attractive in Europe. And most of the hot blonde bronzed Aussie birds are probably a mix of our lot and the English over the generations anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I miss Irish birds tbh. Having met so many nationalities here in Oz I can definitely say Irish women are probably in the top 5 most attractive in Europe. And most of the hot blonde bronzed Aussie birds are probably a mix of our lot and the English over the generations anyway.

Nothing like a bit of hot culchie totty. I mean that in all sincerity - you can't beat it.

Hot, grounded, sound as f*ck & up for the craic, are traits that are met by many women across the world, but rarely combined & encompassed so often as they are in our highly under rated irish lassies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Oh my god, it's the thread that refuses to die.

There are plenty of good looking Irish people. I think a lot of the comparisons are just about novelty - people in other countries seem hot because they don't look like what you're used to. Maybe it's because it's something different for me, but I've never seen so many different kinds of blue eyes in my life: sparkly, smoky, x-ray, blue-green...I see tasty men all over Dublin. What are people complaining about? Plus the sense of humor and the fact that metrosexual-ism hasn't totally taken over the male population, are added bonuses.

The one thing I would say is that I don't think that people here dress that well, and I see a lot of girls who need to step away from the spray-on tan and lashings of MAC. But personally I'd take a jeans-and-GAA jersey guy over a Cristiano Ronaldo-type anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There are plenty of good looking Irish people. I think a lot of the comparisons are just about novelty - people in other countries seem hot because they don't look like what you're used to. Maybe it's because it's something different for me, but I've never seen so many different kinds of blue eyes in my life: sparkly, smoky, x-ray, blue-green...I see tasty men all over Dublin. What are people complaining about? Plus the sense of humor and the fact that metrosexual-ism hasn't totally taken over the male population, are added bonuses.

The one thing I would say is that I don't think that people here dress that well, and I see a lot of girls who need to step away from the spray-on tan and lashings of MAC. But personally I'd take a jeans-and-GAA jersey guy over a Cristiano Ronaldo-type anyday.
    Heh, you took the words right out of my mouth - I was just saying similar stuff to someone earlier.

What a woman Ronaldo is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement