Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Oh my god, it's the thread that refuses to die.

There are plenty of good looking Irish people. I think a lot of the comparisons are just about novelty - people in other countries seem hot because they don't look like what you're used to. Maybe it's because it's something different for me, but I've never seen so many different kinds of blue eyes in my life: sparkly, smoky, x-ray, blue-green...I see tasty men all over Dublin. What are people complaining about? Plus the sense of humor and the fact that metrosexual-ism hasn't totally taken over the male population, are added bonuses.

The one thing I would say is that I don't think that people here dress that well, and I see a lot of girls who need to step away from the spray-on tan and lashings of MAC. But personally I'd take a jeans-and-GAA jersey guy over a Cristiano Ronaldo-type anyday.

i agree with everything, except "gaa jersey guy". gaa jerseys make me hurl puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

i agree with everything, except "gaa jersey guy". gaa jerseys make me hurl puke.

Especially on "burds".

Especially on "burds".

oh god yes, even worse.

I wonder what Ronaldo would look like in a Mayo jersey?

like a twat.

• Advertisement

like a twat.

No change there so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Caveat wrote: »
    This Irish=ugly thing is IMO purely a result of inexperience of other countries/cultures and media images of beauty.

For every 3 am paparrazzi shot of the beautiful people in Grouchos or whatever there is a sad, sorry subhuman featured inbred in a tower block in Stockwell.

Let me tell you, there are millions of ugly English, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish...

I've seen them.

Really I disagree. Maybe you haven't been to the right countries. Two stand out in my mind - Japan and Costa Rica. Just profoundly stunning women everywhere. and whilst exotic might apply to Japan, Costa Ricans are hispanic so there's plenty of other hispanic countries. IMO they better looking than the Spanish say. But in both cases there is a simple explanation - they just don't have as many fat people as a "Western" country. On average walking down the street the average person looks hotter because, well simply the average person is slimmer than here. And of course there are ugly people everywhere. I don't think anyone said there weren't. But this whole argument is about averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Really I disagree. Maybe you haven't been to the right countries. Two stand out in my mind - Japan and Costa Rica. Just profoundly stunning women everywhere. and whilst exotic might apply to Japan, Costa Ricans are hispanic so there's plenty of other hispanic countries. IMO they better looking than the Spanish say. But in both cases there is a simple explanation - they just don't have as many fat people as a "Western" country. On average walking down the street the average person looks hotter because, well simply the average person is slimmer than here. And of course there are ugly people everywhere. I don't think anyone said there weren't. But this whole argument is about averages.

Someone being physically fit and having a tan adds about 3 points IMO

Also, I was shocked when I went to the States on a J1 years ago seeing all of the obese people as I had grown up watching American television where they are pretty much airbrushed out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But in both cases there is a simple explanation - they just don't have as many fat people as a "Western" country. On average walking down the street the average person looks hotter because, well simply the average person is slimmer than here.
    This.
    Someone being physically fit and having a tan adds about 3 points IMO
    and this.

The Irish have a lot going for them. Nice faces for a start. While yes you do get more seriously stunning women in other places(the Latins and some eastern europeans as an example), the same thing that gives striking features tends to make more harsh faces as an average and if you want "ugly" there are far more extremes than here. The irish tend to be "softer" looking. Dunno how to describe it.

But yes on the physique front you do see far less stand out physiques. In men and women. Either scrawny(guilty as charged) or tubby. Or start off scrawny and end up tubby. Much younger than elsewhere too. Having gone along with women clothes shopping overseas, what you note when you come back are the different range of sizes aimed at young women in their 20's in general clothes shops. The graph peaks at 8 or 10 with a couple of 12's and 6's. I put the talk on one assistant in a spanish shop(equivalent to a chain store) and asked about the availability of size 16 and was told either special order or not available at all. Here 14/16 would be more where the peak would lie.

Diet, better climates and cultural pressures seem to be the diff. We're more the 51st state of the US as far as diet goes in the last 20 years(ditto for the UK). It wasnt always thus either. I was looking at my old school photos from the stone age a while back and the guy in the year, the archetypal "fatty" guy, wasnt fat. Barely tubby. Actually more healthy than anything.

Its changing elsewhere though. The spanish currently have the fattest kids in europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Sorry, but HELL to the NAW.

Seriously, I would rather be seen with a GAA jersey guy wearing a matching scarf and foam hat than a dude with frosted hair, a giant snakeskin belt, uber-waxed eyebrows and a man-purse. Not to mention the silver hot pants in the earlier picture. NO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hate GAA jerseys but I'd still prefer them to a tight pink t-shirt on a guy.

Re pale skin: it can look pasty and washed out but it can also look "porcelain". My pale skin suits me - I would look ludicrous with anything darker than a bit of a sun-kissed glow. And fake tan just looks hilarious on me... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Ok I've been to neither Japan nor Costa Rica so maybe I'll take your word for it - but I have my doubts.

Although, and no offence intended to anyone, personally I find oriental women unattractive - even those who are objectively "good looking". The same goes for the typical slavic look. And the Califonian "babe" type.

Unless women are actually obese, fat/size/weight really matters little to me too and would really have very little impact on overall attractiveness. I would certainly prefer overweight to even a little bit underweight in general.

So personal taste combined with cultural 'norms', add a bit of media mythmaking and it all gets very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

in all fairness there is only 4 millions people in this country. *yawn*in dublin?maybe close to 1.5 million.sweden = 9 mil, spain= 45mils.

the dress up, the definition of 'hot people', the taste of different people to different type of people are simple not diversed enough to qualified up to the point for generalizing the nations into 'ugly' or 'hot'.

walk on the streets during nightclub time on friday or saturday,guaranteed you will find some very fine dressed up and made up birds :pac: or go UCD's arts blocks have a walk.
    if you are stucked in a small town with lots of ugly birds then who to blame :P

i believe there is no ugly woman but only lazy woman who didnt know how to make or dress up.

well i guess 'scientifically' we can still talk about the diet, the drinking culture makes most people usually have beer belly when they hit 20s, blame the weather makes people wanna stay at home instead to go gym/do exercises etc. imo lets say in dublin, the chances of seeing the lumpy arms and beer belly on women is way too high i'd say.

lucky i am a leg man but i am still turned off by the scary belly and arms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Wibbs wrote: »

The Irish have a lot going for them. Nice faces for a start. While yes you do get more seriously stunning women in other places(the Latins and some eastern europeans as an example), the same thing that gives striking features tends to make more harsh faces as an average and if you want "ugly" there are far more extremes than here. The irish tend to be "softer" looking. Dunno how to describe it.

Broad, square faces, high cheekbones and generally irish people are noted as having nice eyes in both shape and colour. Theres also big differences between the sexes in that the women have more feminine features compared to the masculine features of the men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe yea. Eyes defo. I dunno about the gender diffs though. I would say many places have a more obvious gender extreme than here. EG broad square faces would be a masculine trait. Narrow small oval or round faces would be more feminine. Before anyone hops on me( chance would be a fine thing), small features,chins, noses etc, large eyes, are outward expressions of levels of gender hormones. Female in those examples. Testosterone builds more robust features, more square faces, stronger jaws and all that. Actually where I have been attracted physically to non irish women is because of that "delicacy" of form and face.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe yea. Eyes defo. I dunno about the gender diffs though. I would say many places have a more obvious gender extreme than here. EG broad square faces would be a masculine trait. Narrow small oval or round faces would be more feminine. Before anyone hops on me( chance would be a fine thing), small features,chins, noses etc, large eyes, are outward expressions of levels of gender hormones. Female in those examples. Testosterone builds more robust features, more square faces, stronger jaws and all that. Actually where I have been attracted physically to non irish women is because of that "delicacy" of form and face.

It has actually been measured (Carlton Coon) and found Irish people to have a bigger gender difference then most other countries.

Square faces doesn't actually mean masculine faces. Think of the Corrs as an example. You've mentioned some of the facial features that are different between the sexes. Oval and narrow faces doesn't mean feminine either.

profitius wrote: »
    It has actually been measured (Carlton Coon) and found Irish people to have a bigger gender difference then most other countries.
    Really? Linkey please if you could. Would be interested to read that. It also depends on what ones definition of gender diffs are. A large breasted woman with big hips and more fat is going to make a gender diff more obvious, even compared to a chunky pot bellied man in the same population. Ive defo noted that Irish women on average have bigger breasts. Bra companies have spotted same(along with US/UK women too). That's mostly down to diet it seems. High calorie diets seem to lower the age of first menses, massively increase the rate of PCOS(very few active skinny women with that), increase the end size of the breasts and across both genders increase type 2 diabetes.
    Square faces doesn't actually mean masculine faces. Think of the Corrs as an example. You've mentioned some of the facial features that are different between the sexes. Oval and narrow faces doesn't mean feminine either.
    Its in the relative size of the face as well as shape. All things being equal, testosterone in puberty makes the jaw bigger the face become more robust, more square and solid looking, the nose, the eyebrow ridges, the width across the cheekbones bigger etc. Oestrogen makes the features much less robust, smaller more rounded. A "baby face" basically. BIg lips, large forehead, small jaw, nose and big eyes. Look at adult women bodybuilders who juice up on male androgens to build muscle. Even after puberty they get more solid and square faces, especially in the jaw region. That's just the face. Body wise Oestrogen while adding adipose tissue, makes less robust or broad physiques.

In my travels I would say the biggest diff Ive seen between Irish and elsewhere(men and women) is we're more chunky/solid. Less gracile. More robust. Take the average Irish person at 25. Ditto with the average Italian say at the same age. More Irish women(and vice versa) could fit into the jeans of irish men, than would hold for the Italian model. As I noted in a previous post the clothes sizes on offer in shope show that. Far more 14/16's here. 10's more common in other regions.

PS
    then most other countries.
    Its than , not fcuking then. What the fcuk is it with that particular mistake? Among the cleverest people I know make that grammatical mistake while avoiding any other. Why?? WTF?? if it was the usual moron typing their instead of they're I could understand it, but the fcukers who make the then/than mistake are not the usual mouth breathers by a long shot. Maybe I should join you to boost the appearance of my own meagre brains.... Actually fcuk ugly Irish, explain that one to me and I will forever be in your debt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

I'm a Galway girl through and through except for one Spaniard who was with the gang that came over that time haha. When I was in London last summer after my leaving cert everyone I met thought I was Canadian for some reason, I didn't know there was a Canadian type. When I'd be waiting to go on The Eye or getting a taxi people would start talking to me and say they'd never heard of Galway either :( How could you not know Galway???? And as someone said earlier I think the Irish lads don't take care of themselves, I saw some of the finest lads from my year lately since everyone is coming home for summer and they've all gained weight, faces red and they've gotten wrinkly. What the hell could've happened to them in a year???? :O

Not saying everyone's like this. But in my experience Irish men's hygiene standards are a real turn off. Don't know what it is about the women, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

profitius wrote: »
    I have been to Germany many times and lets be clear, nobody wears tracksuites in Germany. I have seen a fair few Polish wearing tracksuites and baseball caps.

I agree about pride in apperance.

I don't know, I've seen a few Germans walking around with an Adidas couch on their back, armchairs on the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

type in ''how come '' into google lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

type in ''how come '' into google lol

Why are all the rocks different sizes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

Edit: link fixed.

Does it really matter we still have the irish charm to seduce all the foreign models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

nisior wrote: »
    I saw some of the finest lads from my year lately since everyone is coming home for summer and they've all gained weight, faces red and they've gotten wrinkly. What the hell could've happened to them in a year???? :O

Binge drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Certainly nothing wrong with Irish women...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

dyl10 wrote: »
    Certainly nothing wrong with Irish women...
    + 1 specialy when they are angry

( visions of his grandad drooling at Maureen O Hara tearing strips outta John Wayne )

Srlsy Irish women FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's unfortunate that in Irish women, generally, ample breasts and a flat stomach are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

All the thin good looking ones left during the famine, leaving behind a lot of fatties.

Harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

*reads opening post*
    *looks into mirror in confusion*
    i'm frakking gorgeous :rolleyes: so i don't know where you're getting this from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Why are all the rocks different sizes?!

Yes a fascinating read, that particular site is very enthralling :eek:, i mean come on the headline gives it away. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement