Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I'm not ugly so I guess I buck the trend. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I've always believed we're like vodka; we mix well but aren't so nice straight up!
    Seriously the amount of gorgeous girls I've met over the years who are/were half Irish/half something else (i.e. American/Canadian/Croatian/whatever) is incredible.

That said I don't think we're necessarily any uglier or any hotter than any other nation. I think people just like things that are different hence why we find Europeans really attractive and think we're below par. Speaking from a guys perspective I think the best looking Irish women can hold their own against the best looking women from other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

I blame the diet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

tc2010 wrote: »
    I blame the diet

Or lack thereof :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Most people Photoshop their pictures on Facebook, Twitter etc. makes them look better.
    Anyone can do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

There's alot of good looking girls in Ireland. And unlike other countries, namely eastern European, most of the girls here don't have masculine facial features, cold lifeless eyes and seriously oversized noses. And I'm seeing a fair share of muffin top on the Eastern European ladies living here at the moment-put it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Because alot of them have frecles?? Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    Because alot of them have frecles?? Just my opinion.

:confused: freckles don't make you ugly :rolleyes: facial featues maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

seraphimvc wrote: »
    walk on the streets during nightclub time on friday or saturday,guaranteed you will find some very fine dressed up and made up birds :pac: or go UCD's arts blocks have a walk.
    `
    Dude, I hope that was sarcasm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Perhaps when our Taoiseach goes abroad he gives us a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

genericguy wrote: »
    i'm fairly alright looking, and my burd is top notch, and we're both irish.

pics or gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't think we're unattractive per se, everyone just looks the same and boring, and we all have ****e taste in clothes. And the girls where I live all look like farmers wives, they were shocked when they went to Germany on an exchange and they were considered really big, BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY BIG!

And the girls where I live all look like farmers wives, they were shocked when they went to Germany on an exchange and they were considered really big, BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY BIG!

Thanks for insulting my wife....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I don't think we're unattractive per se, everyone just looks the same and boring, and we all have ****e taste in clothes. And the girls where I live all look like farmers wives, they were shocked when they went to Germany on an exchange and they were considered really big, BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY BIG!

Big in what way? Big hearted? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They're not fat they just all look really strong. Its bizarre. Must be something in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HipLady

at least when we do get the sun we do all look better looking and that includes every1

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

in relation to what is currently considered attractive.

200 years ago, pale, translucent skin, and ruddy cheeks were considered the height of attractiveness - Hence the 18th century habit of powdering your face and wearing rouge. We would have been considered the heighth of attractiveness.

On through the 19th century the trend fo pale skin continued - pale skin being an indicaion of high status, as poor people tended to be tanned from working outside in the sun. Remember that in Joyce's Day, Dublin had the biggest red light district in Europe - English noblemen used to come here to get their rocks off in much the same way as Irish saddos do in Thailand today, and in the same way we were a poor country selling its meagre wares, and considered very attractive by the standards of the day.

From the 1960's onwards as commercial Jet Travel became available, tanned skin became an indication of status, because it was a sign of being able to afford foreign holidays, and this trend has continued, even though foreign holidays are relatively cheap now.

Thus the Irish are not inherently ugly, its simply that in the current paradigm of attractiveness, many of them have exactly the qualities that are not valued in global culture. That said , the Celtic Tiger years did lead to a lot of Irish people binging on booze, sugar and carbohydrate rich foods, and becomeing overweight, which dosnt suit them - particularly as pale skin is far less forgiving of body flaws/poor diet than tanned skin is.

So there's your answer. Not very After Hours, I suppose, so I suppose I should probably just add a "Yer Ma" by way of balance.

HipLady wrote: »
    at least when we do get the sun we do all look better looking and that includes every1

except those who don't tan and turn a nice strawberry colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Companero wrote: »
    in relation to what is currently considered attractive.

200 years ago, pale, translucent skin, and ruddy cheeks were considered the height of attractiveness - Hence the 18th century habit of powdering your face and wearing rouge. We would have been considered the heighth of attractiveness.

On through the 19th century the trend fo pale skin continued - pale skin being an indicaion of high status, as poor people tended to be tanned from working outside in the sun. Remember that in Joyce's Day, Dublin had the biggest red light district in Europe - English noblemen used to come here to get their rocks off in much the same way as Irish saddos do in Thailand today, and in the same way we were a poor country selling its meagre wares, and considered very attractive by the standards of the day.

From the 1960's onwards as commercial Jet Travel became available, tanned skin became an indication of status, because it was a sign of being able to afford foreign holidays, and this trend has continued, even though foreign holidays are relatively cheap now.

Thus the Irish are not inherently ugly, its simply that in the current paradigm of attractiveness, many of them have exactly the qualities that are not valued in global culture. That said , the Celtic Tiger years did lead to a lot of Irish people binging on booze, sugar and carbohydrate rich foods, and becomeing overweight, which dosnt suit them - particularly as pale skin is far less forgiving of body flaws/poor diet than tanned skin is.

So there's your answer. Not very After Hours, I suppose, so I suppose I should probably just add a "Yer Ma" by way of balance.

Not very AH, but a great post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The Polish people who come here will definitely up the standard - Irish and Polish will be a great mix - We'll be a fine nation!:D I hope they don't all go back home, WE NEED THEM!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

The Polish people who come here will definitely up the standard - Irish and Polish will be a great mix - We'll be a fine nation!:D I hope they don't all go back home, WE NEED THEM!:(

Have to disagree with you,don't rate the poles at al.
    The women look a bit rough with sun bde burnt skin and look a lot older than they should,they also age poorly compared to Irish women.
    The Polish fellas will never be accepted by the Irish women,they r way to aggressive and actually do not want to stray from their own.
    Best of the Eastern Europeans have to be the Slovakians,Czechs r Hungarians now those girls are v pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Yes we need more po-faced farmer wifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Kanye wrote: »
    I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly.

**** you!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Yeah speak for your self :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

it's our inner beauty that really counts, unlike those greasy Romanians!:eek:

I dont know about you but my parents were hot and all my family are hot people :cool:Inside and out :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

caseyann wrote: »
    I dont know about you but my parents were hot and all my family are hot people :cool:Inside and out :o

wanna grab a coke and make out?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    wanna grab a coke and make out?

I am not liberated :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm pale, never tan, and have millions of freckles, does that mean I'm ugly? :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement