Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

Well let me pose I question to everyone , If we (The Irish) are not ugly then what the hell are we all at sitting at our computers reading boards.ie , when we should be out showing off our good looks - those pepple dash freckles alien autopsy pale white skin and beer belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Person A lives in a "temperate climate" (which means it pisses down 51 weeks of the year) This means person A is pale as they never only remove their second coat on any given day. Person A eats lots of spuds, fried meat, chocolate and general rubbish. Person A drinks copius amounts of alcohol, regularly binging every weekend on PINTS of beer. Person A only gets excerise when they are going to the kitchen to raid the fridge during those long cold winter evenings.

Person B lives in a warm climate. They have a naturally bronzed complection which they top up regularly by wearing very little clothes everyday of the week. Person B eats pasta, rice, fish as is the culture of their country. A warm climate normally means good quality, light food. Person B only really drinks water by the tanker load, and enjoys some wine with meals. The outdoors orientated lifestyle means people are out and about more and are naturally fitter anyway.

Which of these people has a better chance of being good looking? Which is Irish and which is, lets say Spanish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    You cannot generalise an entire nation simply because you don't like the look of certain, particular people. To us, something exotic and different to ourselves is beautiful, to those who have exotic all the time, every single day, we are beautiful.

Yes of course there are extremely attractive irish people. In any population you are going to have those. The key is though that they represent a smaller percentage of the population than in other countries.

I have had the good fortune to travel abroad extensively and I've lived in 3 other countries apart from Ireland. Therefore I have experienced 'exotic all the time'. I can only speak from my own experience but it didn't get old. And when I returned to Ireland the people weren't any more attractive due to my prolonged absence from the country. On the contrary, I was actually pretty amazed at the low amount of genuinely attractive people I saw on the streets.

If you think Irish people are not by and large an ugly race then good for you. I and many others respectfully disagree.

And just because I hold that opinion doesn't mean that I'm anti-irish. I love my country, have always been proud of it and couldn't imagine settling anywhere else. Like any country it has it's ups and it's downs. On the plus side we have a relatively good standard of living (for the time being), people with great personalities, a proud history and loads of other things. On the downside the weather is crap, our government is incompetent and the people are 'by and large' ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

Edit: link fixed.
    why are you so mean!? I agree with Trashbat tis all in the genes...:(
    Trashbat wrote: »
    Genetics

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

ask yer ma!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

I'm sure you're aware that Bord Failte has been Failte Ireland for many years now. No different to anyone else here, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I am exceedingly proud of our nation, for its achievements in literature as you mentioned and also proud of our world renowned history. I don't think its fair to say that the Irish are 'puck ugly', I'm not going to mention all that crap that people usually mention about red hair and green eyes etc because the vast majority of Irish definitely don't have those physical attributes but as a nation I think we have our fair share of attractive people. Granted, tanned skin etc is not common genetically here in Ireland but since when did tanned skin become the only attractive feature about a person for instance I myself burn just thinking about the sun but my sister is much darker! All of my friends, both male and female are attractive in different ways. In every city in the world, there are going to be an enormous variety of people in the looks department and Ireland is no different. This Father Ted approach you speak of, i dont agree with. This thread is not jesting playfully at Ireland in that sense, it is openly mocking this country and while I am not blind to its faults, i am still proud of it as a whole. We have huge extremes from Connemara in the West to concrete jungle Dublin and yet in the heart of the concrete jungle sare beautiful parks and public areas and within all of these areas are people who look entirely different from one another. I am not going to run my country to the ground by saying its natives are ugly because quite simply; they're not. You cannot generalise an entire nation simply because you don't like the look of certain, particular people. To us, something exotic and different to ourselves is beautiful, to those who have exotic all the time, every single day, we are beautiful. Not getting all overly pro-Ireland here but be a bit more forgiving and open minded, its your country, show a little pride.

So what you're saying is there is good and bad everywhere and it just so happens that our good/bad ratio is leaning more on the bad side than in other countries?

Awesome post.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

So what you're saying is there is good and bad everywhere and it just so happens that our good/bad ratio is leaning more on the bad side than in other countries?

Awesome post.

How on earth did you think i was inferring that? Not at all, im asking why on earth people are saying Irish people are 'ugly' with freckles and beer bellies and pale faces etc. Granted, the pale faces is more or less a done deal but freckles?? thats not an Irish attribute, and certainly beer bellies is a matter of personal choice in letting yourself look that way, nothing at all to do with being Irish. My point was that i dont understand why the majority of people here are having a go at Ireland for its people. We don't lean towards the bad side of the ratio at all, if anything completely the opposite! You'l find people from every walk of life here in Ireland, everyone looking differently and so I don't understand this dislike towards the looks of the Irish people. Can you not just be happy with how you look? Either many people here have enormous self confidence issues or they just enjoy calling others unattractive. Personally, in my opinion, i find our country and its inhabitants attractive. The vast majority make the effort to look nice,take care of themselves and whilst by and large we are a drinking culture, that does not mean you have to develop beer bellies and make a show of yourself. This is a beautiful country with a colourful, turbulent but still beautiful history and anyone who's lucky enough to be born here and thus become a part of this beauty should be proud, not ready to run its fellow Irish into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What is with all the self hate that people have for Ireland and its citizens?
    We don't need enemies, seems nobody hates Ireland more then the Irish.
    We're no better or no worse then anywhere else.

People come on here and lash the country at every chance.
    "I'll try that......oh wait this in Ireland :rolleyes:"
    "That's so Irish :rolleyes:"

If I started a thread saying all Africans are ugly dogs I'll be flamed alive.
    But it's ok for the OP and others to do much the same here?

It's a beautiful country and friendly people and if you can't see that or maybe everyone is rejecting are you realy so confident you can look down on everyone else?

And there is a fantastic thread on page one of personal issues forum which I can't realy link to (bad form to link to a PI thread) which sums it up pretty well

Thanks bord failte.

But don't worry bord failte because beauty is only skin deep.

Get with the times, that changed years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

What is with all the self hate that people have for Ireland and its citizens?
    We don't need enemies, seems nobody hates Ireland more then the Irish.
    We're no better or no worse then anywhere else.

People come on here and lash the country at every chance.
    "I'll try that......oh wait this in Ireland :rolleyes:"
    "That's so Irish :rolleyes:"

If I started a thread saying all Africans are ugly dogs I'll be flamed alive.
    But it's ok for the OP and others to do much the same here?

It's a beautiful country and friendly people and if you can't see that or maybe everyone is rejecting are you realy so confident you can look down on everyone else?

And there is a fantastic thread on page one of personal issues forum which I can't realy link to (bad form to link to a PI thread) which sums it up pretty well

Get with the times, that changed years ago

You're taking the piss surely... it's not a beautiful country and you people are not beautiful either... take off the green tinted glasses and you'll see that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Noffles wrote: »
    ake off the green tinted glasses and you'll see that!

Can't, my hands are covered in taffy....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Agricola wrote: »
    Person A lives in a "temperate climate" (which means it pisses down 51 weeks of the year) This means person A is pale as they never only remove their second coat on any given day. Person A eats lots of spuds, fried meat, chocolate and general rubbish. Person A drinks copius amounts of alcohol, regularly binging every weekend on PINTS of beer. Person A only gets excerise when they are going to the kitchen to raid the fridge during those long cold winter evenings.

Person B lives in a warm climate. They have a naturally bronzed complection which they top up regularly by wearing very little clothes everyday of the week. Person B eats pasta, rice, fish as is the culture of their country. A warm climate normally means good quality, light food. Person B only really drinks water by the tanker load, and enjoys some wine with meals. The outdoors orientated lifestyle means people are out and about more and are naturally fitter anyway.

Which of these people has a better chance of being good looking? Which is Irish and which is, lets say Spanish! :D

warm climate blah, irish people have no excuse for not having an outdoors orientated lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're taking the piss surely... it's not a beautiful country and you people are not beautiful either... take off the green tinted glasses and you'll see that!

You know where the airport is so, see ya

You say you people, do you live here?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How on earth did you think i was inferring that? Not at all, im asking why on earth people are saying Irish people are 'ugly' with freckles and beer bellies and pale faces etc. Granted, the pale faces is more or less a done deal but freckles?? thats not an Irish attribute, and certainly beer bellies is a matter of personal choice in letting yourself look that way, nothing at all to do with being Irish. My point was that i dont understand why the majority of people here are having a go at Ireland for its people. We don't lean towards the bad side of the ratio at all, if anything completely the opposite! You'l find people from every walk of life here in Ireland, everyone looking differently and so I don't understand this dislike towards the looks of the Irish people. Can you not just be happy with how you look? Either many people here have enormous self confidence issues or they just enjoy calling others unattractive. Personally, in my opinion, i find our country and its inhabitants attractive. The vast majority make the effort to look nice,take care of themselves and whilst by and large we are a drinking culture, that does not mean you have to develop beer bellies and make a show of yourself. This is a beautiful country with a colourful, turbulent but still beautiful history and anyone who's lucky enough to be born here and thus become a part of this beauty should be proud, not ready to run its fellow Irish into the ground.

Too true.

I think the freckles thing is because of the stereotype that we're all ginger. Kind of like how all nordic people are blonde and all americans are fat with low IQs. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Most Irish people aren't my 'type', but I don't necessarily think they are ugly. I will say though that there is less variety than in more 'mixed' countries like the UK or US. The rising level of hysteria defending the Irish in this thread, however, is kind of funny. Geez, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

You know where the airport is so, see ya

You say you people, do you live here?

Yep... but I'm not "you people"..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

i'm a foreigner and i have to say there is a big difference between irish boys and girls.
    I can rate some irish girls between the most beatuful ones i've ever seen around the world, they dress sexy, they take care of themselves, they are funny and they know how to have fun.
    I cannot say the same for the boys, it seems they don't care a lot about their look (maybe because of "it's a gay thing" stereotype :confused: ), only few do sports regurarly, they like to drink until they pass out without thinking at the effect of the alcohol on their belly, skin, liver etc...

I dunno why the irish girls make the extra effort of looking good and the irish boys are not bothered about it.

p.s. message to the irish girls: ok, you look great, you are sexy, you look exotic to many foreigners especially if you are ginger and with freckels, but you should try to be more "down to earth" sometimes; certain attitude (ie "i'm the present from God to you") doesn't work very well...that's why ye wonder only weirdos are coming into you and ye don't manage to get a decent fella on your nite out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Blackpitts wrote: »
    i'm a foreigner and i have to say there is a big difference between irish boys and girls.
    I can rate some irish girls between the most beatuful ones i've ever seen around the world, they dress sexy, they take care of themselves, they are funny and they know how to have fun.
    I cannot say the same for the boys, it seems they don't care a lot about their look (maybe because of "it's a gay thing" stereotype :confused: ), only few do sports regurarly, they like to drink until they pass out without thinking at the effect of the alcohol on their belly, skin, liver etc...

I dunno why the irish girls make the extra effort of looking good and the irish boys are not bothered about it.

p.s. message to the irish girls: ok, you look great, you are sexy, you look exotic to many foreigners especially if you are ginger and with freckels, but you should try to be more "down to earth" sometimes; certain attitude (ie "i'm the present from God to you") doesn't work very well...that's why ye wonder only weirdos are coming into you and ye don't manage to get a decent fella on your nite out.

How do you find Irish girls not down to earth?

You are a very narrow minded person and you must have no sense of pride in where you come from. Pure ignorance towards the history of Ireland both recent and in ancient times can be the only reason you cannot see the beauty of Ireland and just being a part of that history makes the irish themselves beautiful; anything on top of that in the looks department is a mere bonus. Ireland is a beautiful country; as a previous poster mentioned, it is the only country to have made such a huge impact on the world considering its small size and if you are a native and indeed live here permanently and still fail to appreciate this country, then citizenship is wasted on you. Take a moment to really look around you, step out of the city and see the countryside and all the evidence of times past and eras gone; if you have any depth of character, you will see why people here are defending Ireland and you will lose this bitterness. If anything in this thread is ugly, it is the intent present in others to try to insult the Irish.

caseyann wrote: »
    How do you find Irish girls not down to earth?

once I manage to know them they are very down to earth.
    the tricky bit is just to achieve that level of "familiarity".
    My ex was irish, I met her at work and she was sexy, funny etc.. once I've asked her "if I've met you in a bar, would u have talked to me?" she said "maybe no, because men in a bar/club are only after one thing..."

this pretty sums up what I mean in my previous post.

You are a very narrow minded person and you must have no sense of pride in where you come from. Pure ignorance towards the history of Ireland both recent and in ancient times can be the only reason you cannot see the beauty of Ireland and just being a part of that history makes the irish themselves beautiful; anything on top of that in the looks department is a mere bonus. Ireland is a beautiful country; as a previous poster mentioned, it is the only country to have made such a huge impact on the world considering its small size and if you are a native and indeed live here permanently and still fail to appreciate this country, then citizenship is wasted on you. Take a moment to really look around you, step out of the city and see the countryside and all the evidence of times past and eras gone; if you have any depth of character, you will see why people here are defending Ireland and you will lose this bitterness. If anything in this thread is ugly, it is the intent present in others to try to insult the Irish.

Wow, take a deep breath. You can be proud of your country and still critique it. There are things I'm proud about as an American, but I can still acknowledge that damn, we are turning into a country of fat-asses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

107449.JPG

Because the Vikings kidnapped all the good looking Irish women and took them to Iceland donkeys years ago. Fact

once I manage to know them they are very down to earth.
    the tricky bit is just to achieve that level of "familiarity".
    My ex was irish, I met her at work and she was sexy, funny etc.. once I've asked her "if I've met you in a bar, would u have talked to me?" she said "maybe no, because men in a bar/club are only after one thing..."

this pretty sums up what I mean in my previous post.

So you mean Irish women are weary and dont trust for reasons that are understandable.But i guess they could talk to a guy,pass on a number and see if he bothers.

Wow, take a deep breath. You can be proud of your country and still critique it. There are things I'm proud about as an American, but I can still acknowledge that damn, we are turning into a country of fat-asses.

'Its not a beautiful country and you people are not beautiful either'......not sure that classes as loving your country and still critiquing it. Thats a downright insult and obviously levels of nationalism are different in everyone but if this was a thread on how ugly the Us and the US natives are, im sure you'd have at least something to say. I have already admitted the failings of our country but i wont lie under comments like the one i mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BrianStorm

'Cause have us c**ts are Ginger. Enough said.

So you mean Irish women are weary and dont trust for reasons that are understandable.But i guess they could talk to a guy,pass on a number and see if he bothers.

it's not only about getting a number, but just having the chance of a nice conversation without assuming that the other guy is always a sleaze ball.

then, it's almost impossible to see an irish girl coming over to initiate a conversation, which is almost a normal thing in the rest of the western world

exactly, but it's not only about getting a number, but just having a nice conversation without assuming that the other guy is always a sleaze ball.

then, it's almost impossible to see an irish girl coming over to initiate a conversation, which is almost a normal thing in the rest of the western world

No i get what you mean,to be more relaxed and not assume a guy is after them for a quickie and be more friendly.

Thats fear of rejection i would imagine,and lack of confidence.As you can see with the amount of rude comments about Irish women been ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

it's not only about getting a number, but just having the chance of a nice conversation without assuming that the other guy is always a sleaze ball.

No i get what you mean,to be more relaxed and not assume a guy is after them for a quickie and be more friendly.

Thats fear of rejection i would imagine,and lack of confidence.As you can see with the amount of rude comments about Irish women been ugly.

Interesting points. I think the whole bar scene dynamic in Ireland is a bit unusual alright. It's very difficult to have a straight up conversation with someone in a bar without the whole thing feeling like you're both levelling each other. It's like both sides are putting on this act of bravado because they don't want to let their true characters be exposed for some reason.

i don't think it's just a fear of rejection to be honest.
    I've noticed that many beautiful girls are letting themselves go after they get married and have babies. I mean there is a huge difference between the number of stunning girls aged 18-28 and the one aged 29-39.
    Few friends of mine who were really foxy ladies became more similar to my old auntie after just 2 years of marriage and a baby.:p
    I know that the married life doesn't allow people to have a lot time to take care of themselves and the pregnancy is a huge stress for a woman's body but wherever i go (France, Italy, Spain etc..) i see many married women with children (aka MILFs :D) still attractive.

Anyway, what i said above is even worse when we talk about men.

The vast majority make the effort to look nice,take care of themselves and whilst by and large we are a drinking culture, that does not mean you have to develop beer bellies and make a show of yourself. This is a beautiful country with a colourful, turbulent but still beautiful history and anyone who's lucky enough to be born here and thus become a part of this beauty should be proud, not ready to run its fellow Irish into the ground.
    Pure ignorance towards the history of Ireland both recent and in ancient times can be the only reason you cannot see the beauty of Ireland and just being a part of that history makes the irish themselves beautiful; anything on top of that in the looks department is a mere bonus. Ireland is a beautiful country; as a previous poster mentioned...
    'Its not a beautiful country and you people are not beautiful either'......not sure that classes as loving your country and still critiquing it. Thats a downright insult and obviously levels of nationalism are different in everyone but if this was a thread on how ugly the Us and the US natives are, im sure you'd have at least something to say. I have already admitted the failings of our country but i wont lie under comments like the one i mentioned.

Yes that is an extreme statement on the 'boo Irish' side, but the level of breathless hyperbole in your posts is pretty extreme on the 'yay Irish' side...so it's hard to take either one of you seriously.

As for the US: when we look good we look very very good, but when we're bad we're horrid. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fedor.2

Blackpitts,you're not a taxi driver are ya?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement