Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I'm sure it can't be just me that thinks this.

Every week my local paper has photos of people in the local pubs and 98% of the people in the photos, when the camera flashes, it just makes them look like they have big pasty, Irish potato heads.

Look on most Irish dating sites - I was on the most popular Irish one yesterday - and there must have been some of the ugliest women I've ever seen on there.

Some of them look 20 years older than their stated age.

Most of the women lack any sense of being fashionable, well dressed, maybe 1 in 200 have any kind of elegance about them.

The same goes when out in any pub, club or town. Sure you'll get more better-looking and well dressed women in the cities, but that's just down to numbers.

I'm guessing it must be a mixture of bad genes, upbringing, the weather, culture, or is there some other reason behind it?

Yes I'm looking at this from a male perspective, so I'm sure there will be plenty of female boardsies posting their point of view on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Morning, similar thread already Gekko :)

Most likely the threads will be merged:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853060&highlight=ugly

For what it's worth, I blame the weather.

EDIT: Damo got there first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Why are some people so superficial and shallow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

ah well, great minds think alike!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IMO the Irish are no worse and no better looking that most other Western European nationalities, and genetic studies show we share a pretty common genetic ancestry (much as we won't like to think it) with the British, French, Spanish, Dutch etc.

Us Irish have really, really low collective self esteem:( - we think the country is sh*te, the people look sh*te, etc. We need to give ourselves more credit. Except in matters of managing money - we can't do that for hell or high water.

I think the problem is poor diet - the amount of overweight Irish people in the past decade is appalling - poor weather and being a poor and backward country for so long there is very little good fashion sense or sense style - but that's changing for the better.

And there are some stunning Irish people but some real rotten eggs among us too. And lads - don't fool yerselves - Irish men are just as pasty faced and poorly dressed as many of the women.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

faraway hills/inferiority complex etc. etc. blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

At least we have the eastern european women to look at, and for that we should be greatful

Edit: They took our jerbs
    !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Irish are not a "race"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thing is though, Eastern European women in general do not seem to age well just like the latinos. They start off amazing but when they get older, with some exceptions they look very old.

American, British and Irish do in fact (IMO) age better from what I can see.

All generalisations from observation of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bazmaiden wrote: »
    At least we have the eastern european women to look at, and for that we should be greatful

well lets get breeding with them straight away and improve our looks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JupiterKid wrote: »
    IMO the Irish are no worse and no better looking that most other Western European nationalities, and genetic studies show we share a pretty common genetic ancestry (much as we won't like to think it) with the British, French, Spanish, Dutch etc.
    Well yes and no. We're less mixed with the european gene pool. Less invasions of less people. Compare Ireland to Italy say. They've had greeks, celts, north africans, arab populations coming and going, over long periods of time too. We had the original stone age types, probably from northern spain, tiny amount if viking/norman, no french or recent spanish and precious little saxon either. We're not even "celts" to any great degree. The celts who came here came in small numbers. Because of this isolation we've a fair amount of genetic illness compared to our european neighbours. One of the highest in europe.

I think the problem is poor diet - the amount of overweight Irish people in the past decade is appalling - poor weather
    +1
    And lads - don't fool yerselves - Irish men are just as pasty faced and poorly dressed as many of the women.:pac:
    +100
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The Irish are not a "race"
    + 1. No group is. Genetically you an talk of populations, but that's it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saruman wrote: »
    Thing is though, Eastern European women in general do not seem to age well just like the latinos. They start off amazing but when they get older, with some exceptions they look very old.

American, British and Irish do in fact (IMO) age better from what I can see.

All generalisations from observation of course.
    I know what you mean and it is a well known cliche, but TBH I think its wrong. I used to believe it, not any more. Walk around Paris, Athens or Milan and you will see way more women(and men) in their 50's who have still got "it" and are still stylish. Way more than here.

The other thing is if you're very pretty when young, you have more to lose with age maybe? If you're ok but plain, time doesnt affect you as much?Kinda if you have a great bod at 20, but pack on a couple of stone by 40, its more noticeable, but if you're dumpy at 20, it's not nearly so obvious later on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why doesn't Gekko post a picture of himself so that the rest of us can see how well he keeps himself and how much younger than his years he looks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Irish women are beautiful , some more than others as with any nationality.

Some of the most beautiful women I have met are Irish and I have travelled a fair bit. Plus the fact they are great craic.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yes, OP Irish women are not the best looking imo

e,g, Too much make up and fake tan on woman, too many freckles, bad teeth, bad hair, poor diet, poor posture, no fitness regime , drink and smoke way too much, lack of confidence, no wit or sense of humour......the list is endless, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43 senape

I actually completely disagree with the Irish are ugly crap ppl come up with all the time. There are ugly and beautiful ppl in all countries. I particularly have to snigger when Italy is always mentioned as a producer of beautiful people. Having lived and traveled around Italy I know the true story. Don't get me wrong when they are beautiful, they are really beautiful( I suppose because they have that exotic element). But often they didn't do it for me. Many of men are short little posers. A male friend of mine commented that a lot of the women he felt looked masculine (big nose, wide jaw) So it really just depends what your looking for.

I do think the growing obesity problem is an issue (no-brainer there) I think with many Irish men it's acceptable to be beer bellied by 21. I think it's important to put a bit of effort into your appearance and eat/rest well etc but don't go overboard (I'm talking plucked eyebrows, pink armani jeans of the aforementioned eye-tyes)

Remember were known for our willingness to have a laugh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Why are some people so superficial and shallow....
    Probably because for a few, they only see "beauty" as an external feature and nothing more.
    Their loss.

senape wrote: »
    I actually completely disagree with the Irish are ugly crap ppl come up with all the time. There are ugly and beautiful ppl in all countries. I particularly have to snigger when Italy is always mentioned as a producer of beautiful people. Having lived and traveled around Italy I know the true story. Don't get me wrong when they are beautiful, they are really beautiful( I suppose because they have that exotic element). But often they didn't do it for me. Many of men are short little posers. A male friend of mine commented that a lot of the women he felt looked masculine (big nose, wide jaw) So it really just depends what your looking for.
    Yea the italian guys tend to be small alright. :) Irish guys while not being as tall as the dutch are on average way taller the italian guys. Id also agree that when italian women are beautiful theyre seriously so.

The obesity thing is the one that screws us up the most, in men and women. As well as being taller, we're defo fatter. Way more fatties of both genders by 25. I noticed especially among the latins that they're much smaller framed compared to us. That petite yet still shapely figure is much rarer here. Then again if youre a boob man, Ireland is the place for you. Much bigger boobs in general. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

JupiterKid wrote: »

Us Irish have really, really low collective self esteem:( - we think the country is sh*te, the people look sh*te, etc. We need to give ourselves more credit. Except in matters of managing money - we can't do that for hell or high water.

I think the problem is poor diet - the amount of overweight Irish people in the past decade is appalling - poor weather and being a poor and backward country for so long there is very little good fashion sense or sense style - but that's changing for the better.

And there are some stunning Irish people but some real rotten eggs among us too. And lads - don't fool yerselves - Irish men are just as pasty faced and poorly dressed as many of the women.:pac:

I hate the way people are telling everyone that scottish,irish and welsh people come from Spain... that was hundreds of thousands of years ago.. theres no way that we look like them... I look no were near spanish... light brown hair,blue eyes and pale skin is not Spanish or anyother european race. remember there were the norweigns who came to scotland.. we arn't always flipping celtic or whatever that word is.

owenc wrote: »
    I hate the way people are telling everyone that scottish,irish and welsh people come from Spain... that was hundreds of thousands of years ago..
    100's of 1000's? Modern humans are only about 150,000 years on earth. Try 9,000 years for the first Irish people(though chances are there were earlier humans here before that, but the ice ages wiped the evidence). The first Irish types came from the western seaboard of europe it seems. North Spain, France kinda thing. Later inputs would have been celts, but it seems not in great numbers. More a cultural invasion. We'd have some norse from the vikings and normans, more on the eastern side of the country. Again not a huge mix or input.
    theres no way that we look like them... I look no were near spanish... light brown hair,blue eyes and pale skin is not Spanish or anyother european race.
    Not any other european "race"? Eh... Mousey haired, blue eyed pale types are very common in europe. Plus when we think of spanish we think of black hair darker skin and brown eyes. There are a fair few natural blondes and mousey haired types in spain. An ex of mine was spanish and blonde and pale, with hazel eyes. They're not a homogenous group by any means. They've been invaded by and mixed with so many other populations. Romans, Celts, Arabs, Africans, the list is long. The further north you go in spain, the more you see natural red heads too. Many of the Basques dont look "spanish" at all due to their cultural and physical isolation(they had few invasions, the romans and the arabs left them well alone).

Plus how you look is a lot less to do with genetic ancestry than is assumed. All sub saharan native africans are black skinned, with brown eyes and black hair. But the genetic difference between an ethiopian and a south african could be the same or more than the diffs between meor you and a south african. Plus lets say we were originally 9,000 years ago I dunno Arabs(long trip but still :D). 9000 years is long enough to change and adapt to a local environment. We'd get whiter for a start.
    remember there were the norweigns who came to scotland.. we arn't always flipping celtic or whatever that word is.
    No we're not celts. Not compared to the germanic population where the celts originated. Yep vikings went into scotland and the socttish islands show gene markers that make them distinct from mainland scots(who are more like us). It can get messy too. Icelandic people, especially the women have a lot of Irish in them. So icelandics coming here back then would be bringing their own back as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

we're all rides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

In general, the people that are usuing Dating websites are there for a reason, i.e., they're to ugly to find love any other way and have gotten desperate. ( I said in general, not all of them!!!)

And the reason they look older than their stated sge?? Well, they probably are.

I am, naturally, incredibly good looking, so it doesn't bother me!!! Plus, we'll all have to emigrate to get work soon, so we can marry a better looking foreigner!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

In general, the people that are usuing Dating websites are there for a reason, i.e., they're to ugly to find love any other way and have gotten desperate. ( I said in general, not all of them!!!)

And the reason they look older than their stated sge?? Well, they probably are.

I am, naturally, incredibly good looking, so it doesn't bother me!!! Plus, we'll all have to emigrate to get work soon, so we can marry a better looking foreigner!!! :D

Dont emigrate to Coventry. You wont find any good looking foreigners there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This woman proves the irish aren;t an ugly race!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

orourkeda wrote: »
    Dont emigrate to Coventry. You wont find any good looking foreigners there
    And Coventry's a shithole

Jesus Christ, how many times has this thread been done now?!
    You've got good-looking and not so good-looking people, just like every other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

brummytom wrote: »
    And Coventry's a shithole

Jesus Christ, how many times has this thread been done now?!
    You've got good-looking and not so good-looking people, just like every other country.

Ye but its the percentage of each, was in Krakow last year and there are much more good looking people than ugly ones, even the ugly ones weren't that bad!!

And was in Uni in london for years and i'm telling ya man the standard of the 19-24yr old is much higher than here

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

owenc wrote: »
    I hate the way people are telling everyone that scottish,irish and welsh people come from Spain... that was hundreds of thousands of years ago.. theres no way that we look like them... I look no were near spanish... light brown hair,blue eyes and pale skin is not Spanish or anyother european race. remember there were the norweigns who came to scotland.. we arn't always flipping celtic or whatever that word is.

In parts of Kerry and Cork there is a lot of Spanish blood due to the sailors who came from the sunken Spanish Armada and shacked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

In parts of Kerry and Cork there is a lot of Spanish blood due to the sailors who came from the sunken Spanish Armada and shacked up.

It used to be Galway before, now its Cork and Kerry. How many fecking Spainish sailors survived the goddamn armada disaster?:pac:

There must have been thousands of the feckers washed up with pr*cks a yard long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement