Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Conflict VI 'Ultimatum', Friday April 9th, Mourne Country Hotel, Newry

• 12-03-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Ultimate Conflict VI ‘Ultimatum’
    Ultimate Conflict returns to the Mourne Country Hotel in Newry on Friday April 9th with its ‘Ultimatum’ card! The main event sees Liam Shannon return to the cage for the first time in almost 2 years. A seasoned pro tearing through competition building up a record of 4-1 he was forced to take time away from the sport but returns now and looks to put his mark back on the welterweight division! He takes on Richard Gorey, a world class Judo practitioner who has really transferred his skills over since moving to the sport of MMA and last time out stopped Aaron Flynn in the first, another hot prospect who was on a 5 fight win streak at the time. This promises to be a cracking match up!

Fresh off signing a contract with the HIT Squad gym in America Damien ‘The Rage’ Rooney returns to action in Ireland! Coming off a fine win on Ultimate Conflict V after a 3 round war with Ben Davis, Rooney is dropping down again to his more natural bantam weight where everyone expects him to be a beast! Next in line is English up and comer Razvan ‘The Impaler’ Boast fresh off a quick stoppage win in February he will be eager to silence the massive home support Damien is sure to bring! And this explosive young striker, undefeated in his semi professional and professional fighting career so far, promises to be a stern test for Rooney looking to make a name for himself in the UK!

Declan ‘The Bandit’ Larkin makes a return to the cage when he takes on Elite 400’s Mickey Doyle. Doyle was successful last time out at Conflict and will be looking to make it 2-0 in the promotion. In other professional action Jonny ‘Cecil’ Mc Gillion will make his first appearance in Ultimate Conflict as he steps in to take on local boy Mickey Brady who will be making his professional debut.

With a stacked under card of semi professional fights it promises to be another exciting night of action!
    Pro A:
    Welterweight match up (77k):

Liam Shannon (PCCB) v Richard Gorey (KTP)

Bantamweight match up (61.2k):

Damien 'The Rage' Rooney (HIT Squad) v Razvan 'The Impaler' Boast (Independant)

Light-welterweight match up (73k):

Declan 'The Bandit' Larkin (EFR) v Mickey Doyle (Elite 400)
    Pro B:

Featherweight match up (65.8k):

Mickey Brady (Dog Pound) v Cecil Mc Gillion (SFT)

C Class:

Bantamweight match up (61.2k):
    Joe Clarke (PCCB) v Colin Neeson (IMMA)

Gary Fegan (Dog Pound) v Ryan Rocks (Kyoshin)

Catchweight match up (69k):

Steven Kilfin (PCCB) v Adam Kemp (Frames)

Heavyweight match up (+92k):
    Andy Thompson (Next Generation) v Ryan Boyd (IMMA)

Lightweight match up (70k):

Paul Delaney (Point blank MMA) v Decky Dalton (PCCB)

Catchweight match up (59.5k):

Mark Kelly (Dog Pound) v Alan Philpot (IMMA)

Catchweight match up (69k):

Liam Murray (PCCB) v Stewart Cowden (Frames)

Gavin Carlin (Evolve) v Eamon Mc Cauley (SFT)

Leo (Dog Pound) v Fra Mc Caffery (PCCB)

Tickets are on sale for this event online at the following link. Once again we tried to get as many clubs involved as possible and we are confident with the match ups made this will turn out to be another cracking event, hope to see you all there!

Tickets:

http://www.ultimateconflictireland.com/tickets.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

UC Newry wrote: »
    Joe Clarke (PCCB) v Colin Neeson (IMMA)

Id pay the entrance fee for this fight alone.
    Good card but id like to see Damien fight some higher caliber fighters now to see what hes got under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Totally agree with you Marty this is one hell of a fight;) I know "C" class has got a few knocks on shows recently but this cud be one of the best ever fights we get to see this year!!!!

Joe well everyone knows how this lads is a gem but Colin is never to be underestimated with his technical ability! A real test for Joe and both lads are up against it - good luck:)

Overall card looks good - Gorey v Shannon at 77 - brill - Gorey excellent fighter and Liam well altho we havent seen much of him is definately well able for this fight my only concern is the weight change but Liam is like an ox!!!

Some of the undercard is magnificant and some nice matchmakin - hopefully a nite of top performance MMA:D

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭UC Newry

Believe me Marty we were looking all over for match ups for Damien and just got that one confirmed yesterday. Damien had told us he wanted to be going against some ranked opposition in the UK and we got in contact and between other fight committments and the fight not suiting at that time we had no joy anywhere. Also Damien has came to us a few times telling us about his desire to fight Neil Seery, a fight that I think the entire Irish MMA community is dying to see! Unfortunately after the Billy Harris fight fell through another promotion signed this fight on as far as I know for the end of the summer sometime! Im sorry we couldnt have got it on ours cause this match up would definately be worth the admission fee to an event alone! Having said that Razvan is a great up and coming fighter and im sure he will be ready for the opportunity in front of him in Damien.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do think there are a lot of top match ups on this card and especially even in some of the undercard fights some of the best young and up and coming talent in the country is being represented!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Looking forward to see what Rooney has gained from hit time at HIT. This guy seams too good to be true but will be interesting to see what he offers.

Any sign of bring UC back to the sports center? or ever broadcasting online live for people who cant get to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 aidanmcg33

whats the idea of selecting the fighter your most interested in seeing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

aidanmcg33 wrote: »
    whats the idea of selecting the fighter your most interested in seeing?

gives the promoter a measurable statistic on which fighters are larger draws than others. I applaud this initiative, can only be good for the more popular fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Best of luck with the show lads-always enjoy the Ultimate conflict shows and they are run very well. get to this if you can..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Mark is exactly right, we like to see what fighters people are interested in seeing so it helps us gauge who is drawing the crowd therefore trying to put on people on the event the crowd most wants to see. Thanks for the kind words Paul, everything is going well so far in the preparation and we are looking forward to the event as always! Good luck with your show now at the weekend!

Ok gauge on fighters???:confused:

I want to see at least ten of these fighters who do I pick???? :( Will it not favour local fighters i.e Damien is a hero of MMA in Newry and rightly so but percentage wise a lot of the crowd is from Newry whereas there is some cracking fighters on the card (especially in the C Class division).

Does the fighter get a percentage of ticket sales???

I think this is a fantastic card and it is always a brillant event for Irish MMA. Best of luck in the show:D

Urs
    x

Predication is that at least three C Class fights are gonna hav u at the edge of your seats;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 aidanmcg33

What if you want to go to see someone in particular but are actually buying the tickets from someone else and not online?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm sure that the promoters have that in mind.

as expressed before, this is a really great show and you should make an effort to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Anyone got results for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

damo won by armbar in the first round, gary fegan won a desicion in an awesome fight..maybe fight of the night. Mickey doyle main event with gnp!

Great Event

Started well but then heard about all the cry offs and was a bit miffed lucky for someone the next match was Gary Fegan! what a fight no sign of a jab just haymaker after haymaker. Some very good refereeing on the night also with a few cuts.

Damo looked comfortable even though he was on his back for 80% of the fight.

Gaps between fights where a bit long for my liking esp with all the canceled fights. Feel sorry Brady didnt get his first Pro fight.

Bring on May 1st!

Excuse me if im wrong but ill try my best here

Leo v Gavin Carlin

Niall Devine v Joe Gibson
    Mark Kelly v Joe Gibson
    Mark Kelly v Alan Philpot (Alan won stopage cut)
    Paul Delaney v Decky Dalton
    Stewart Cowden v Stephen Kilfin (No Show)
    Andy Thompson v Ryan Boyd (No Show)
    Gary Fegan v Ryan Rocks (Gary won Judges)
    Mickey Brady v Jonny O'Brien (No show)
    Damien Rooney v Rob McCrum (Damien won Armbar)
    Declan Larkin v Mickey Doyle (Mickey won ref stopage)

as i say i could be wrong fill the gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭7daze

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Excuse me if im wrong but ill try my best here

Leo v Gavin Carlin

Mark Kelly v Joe Gibson

as i say i could be wrong fill the gaps

Leo v Gavin Carlin - Gavin wins via ref stoppage (cut)
    Mark Kelly v Alan Philpot - Alan wins by decision (very close IMO)

Leo v Gavin Carlin (Gavin wins via ref stoppage (cut))
    Mark Kelly v Joe Gibson Alan wins by decision (very close IMO) I agree

What happened for all the no shows?

When I got down to the show I woz really disappointed as it was feeding out the amount of cancelled fights:( I felt sorry for promotion as it felt like it woz gonna be a wasted nite!!! It also felt it was a "quiet" crowd (even with me in it lol).

Not to be I am delighted to say the fights that did go ahead wer perfectly matched and extremely entertaining. My fight of the night was definately Alan Philpott and Mark Kelly:) These young lads showed extreme talent and bravery and it could hav easily went either way! It was definately Alans experience that won him the fight by decision in the end but both lads wer brill:D

Gavin Carlin showed he is growing from strength to strength and was definately throwin some heavy hands! I think Gavin is makin excellent progression in MMA! Leo looked strong and was disappointed at the stoppage but took it well!

Damiens fight well wow - I was cageside for this and woznt I glad - perfectly positioned to see a master at work;) McCrum started the fight and was well in control at the start takin Damien down, as said Damien spent the time on his back but looked extremely comfortable and didnt faze him with McCrum goin for submissions and tryin to rain down the hands! Super and clinical finishin from Damien who is definately on top form.

Decky Dalton and Paul Delaney - well this fight was standing and exchanging for a long time and I would say Decky was definately the agressor and throwing some lovely shots but when it went to ground Paul looked the more comfortable. Decky didnt take the easy option of movin back for the fight to be stood and played Pauls ground game but with the kicks and punches sustained Peter Lavery rightly called the doc in to assess Paul. I think Decky has actually broke or badly sprained in hand in the pursuit but well done guys!

Niall Devine looks like a promising young fighter - again looked fazed at the begining against a strong Joe Gibson but Nialls swift armbar perfectly executed. Again well done lads:)

Fegan and Rocks - guys just seem to want to stand and slug it. Neither was able to get ground work in but Rocks didnt take his opportunity at a tired Fegan in the last round so the decision was definately spot on!!!

Declan Larkin v Micky Doyle - Declan showed promising start, again seemed to be in control of the fight but Doyle caught him and totally stunned him and then when he mounted rained down heavy hands in the closing stages of the first. Cant wait to see both guys again;)

As I said it was disappointing at the pull outs - the promotion apologised but with what we got we didnt complain (too much lol).

Urs
    x

Sincerest apologies about the misfortune of last night. We have never had bad luck like it. We started the week with 12 bouts and had 5 fights pulled during the course of the week including 2 the thursday night and 1 the friday evening! Because of the that the venue was not as packed to the rafters as usually is but saying that I would like to thank all the clubs and fighters who did take part as they put on a great spectacle for the crowd! I hope that everyone knows from our previous promotions that we always try to put on the best shows that we can with the best match ups we can and that show didnt truly reflect what we usually produce. It was very unfortunate to say the least but we will be back stronger at the end of August with a massive summer show and some cracking match ups and we will be making up for any disappointments people had with this one and hope they understand it was entirely out of our hands. As I said thanks to all the coaches and fighters who came,they all put on a great show. Thanks to Peter and Dave for another great nights reffing and also thanks to all the support staff of the show who we couldnt run it without. Thanks for the support from the MMA community and we will be back bigger and better next time.

Kindest Regards

UC Team

• Advertisement

What happened for all the no shows?

Promotion did try to get fighters to step in (altho not ideal imo but they didnt want to disappoint fans).

Speaking with some of the coaches/ fighters we discussed that if ther was some kind penalty (which obviously cant be imposed as we have no offical governing body) but I think it would be a great idea. It would be a comfort to both promotions and fans to ensure shows go ahead.

Not a massive penalty mayb £50 or somthin it would soon get coaches/ fighters givin a pull-out a second thought. Albeit there is legitamite pull-outs but it seems to be regular now.

Urs
    x

UC Newry wrote: »
    ...... and we will be back bigger and better next time.

and we will be there to see it:D

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pcbefr

Was talking to decky daulton and he was at the hospital and app it is only burised and slightly sprained and he should be ok for Cage Contenders.......unless he is lying to me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Speaking with some of the coaches/ fighters we discussed that if ther was some kind penalty (which obviously cant be imposed as we have no offical governing body) but I think it would be a great idea.

I agree with this, we have always had a no show clause in all Cage Contender contracts, the only exception is if the fighter has a medical reason that has been verified by a doctor. But even with this clause in our contracts we still suffer pull outs for every show.

So far we have never had to impose any of these contract terms but feel we would not need a governing body to do so, the contract is a binding agreement between the promotion and the fighter. There is no need in that instance for any third party involvement.

fightie wrote: »
    ........ no need in that instance for any third party involvement.

I beg to differ on this :mad: a governing body would be there to protect everyone, promotions, coaches, fighters and fans. You may be able to "enforce" a contract or pursue it legally if need be but what about smaller clubs/ promotions.

I wouldnt want a big brother type governing body layin down the laws but would like to see it fair on everyone IMO.

Anyway I think this thread is being hijacked lol sorry Damo and crew;) we have other governing threads and Paul Cowzer might tell me off :eek:

Urs
    x

pcbefr wrote: »
    burised and slightly sprained and he should be ok for Cage Contenders.......unless he is lying to me lol

LOL If he is lyin I will break the other hand lol Remember there is always gonna be more fights and more shows lining up for you and Im sure Contenders will more than embrace you for the next show - your safety and well being comes first;)

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ha Ha Urs!!

Personally my lads would never pull from a fight without genuine reason and contract or not, i would not pay a promotion anything if a fighter got injured, if they tried to make me they would never see me again, also if they where injured or sick and i knew it i would not expect them to pay a doctor 60 quid to prove it either..

Not all fighters are so honest, and some may pull due to not been confident or just bottling it.

off topic so lets not drift with this point below! start a thread if you want to further this discussion.
    A commitee or something would be good but may be difficult, i would be interested in getting something going with the help of some of the experienced coaches help, otherwise its a waste of time, a full on governing body is a pipe dream i feel, especially as there is no world governing body to answer to.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

Yeah it is terrible if fighters pull out specially at the last minute if there is no time to get a replacement.

Was it jonny o'brien or johnny cecil that pulled out of the Brady fight? Results say o'brien but fightcard says cecil?

On a more postive note I hear the fights that did happen were very good and well matched.

Fights wer perfectly matched and really enjoyable. I'd rather hav half a card of quality than card full of (you know wot Im thinkin lol). Serious UC got the matchmakin spot on;)

I think Cecil woz to fight first but then O'Brien was stand-in but I dont know wot happened:confused: I'll hav to snoop some more lol

Urs
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

The UC crew are a good bunch of guys and we had the same difficulty at our last show.

We started with 16 fights and ended up with 8 for various reasons.

The crowd of course don't know that its due to pull outs which is frustrating.

I enjoyed the fights thats happened though and to be honest it didnt't seem that short a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 banditlarkin

I was nt stoped by GNP or a ref stopage its called TKO (due to injury) ..it was in the first 20 secs of the round but managed to hold it out till the end of the rd .but when i went to stand up my foot was just to sore and was not able to walk

I was nt stoped by GNP or a ref stopage its called TKO (due to injury) ..it was in the first 20 secs of the round but managed to hold it out till the end of the rd .but when i went to stand up my foot was just to sore and was not able to walk

Sorry Declan if we got it wrong :o I thought officially thats wot woz announced and because it all happened around the end of the round I think it was bit confusing. Anyway hope to see you back soon (if Colleen lets you lol);)

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AP75

Some great fights; Fagan V Rocks was a belter. I would love to see a rematch.

The show got the headlines in the local paper. Seems to be getting more popular and accepted around the area. There is a new mma club opening in kilkeel, i would like to wish them all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I didn't understand why rocks never tried to take it to the ground in round 3.

Maybe he thought he was winning the stand up?

It was a very entertaining fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭7daze

I'm also suprised that the Fegan V Rocks fight didnt hit the ground at some stage as Gary Fegan has a great ground game - I'm guessing Rocks is good on the ground too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement