Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Most of the work is taking place on the southern side of the road between the Bandon and Sarsfields roundabouts at present. They have blocked off the hard shoulder between the two roundabouts west-bound. This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic

Can't you just cycle on the path on the northern side of the road. Presume it will remain open for another while before they need to remove it?

Also, they had the 3 lanes merged into 1 from the forge hill bridge to the sarsfield roundabout last night, it looked like they were erecting some barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Any idea if there will be access for pedestrians during works, while they're knocking the flyover? It's used a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

How's this looking traffic-wise at the moment people?

I'll be down next Friday and heading from the tunnel direction towards West Cork at about 2.30 or 3 on Friday afternoon. Better to go Airport > Fivemilebridge > Ballinhassig > N71? or is it moving sufficiently well?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

MrDerp wrote: »
    How's this looking traffic-wise at the moment people?

I'll be down next Friday and heading from the tunnel direction towards West Cork at about 2.30 or 3 on Friday afternoon. Better to go Airport > Fivemilebridge > Ballinhassig > N71? or is it moving sufficiently well?

Going OK at the moment cause the schools are still off and there won't be lane closures for a few months. Next Friday I would think most of the schools will be back but if you're there around 2.30 to 3 then you should be fairly OK. Not a huge volume of traffic at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

+1, the schools are back on Wednesday so who knows?? Noramlly on a Friday its busiest between 12:30 and 2pm.

You could always chance it and if traffic is very heavy, turn off at Sarsfield Roundabout and head up Spur hill, and down past Chetwynd Cemetery :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

No problem today at 3:30pm. You'll be grand - all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EDINBRO

Was shocking today at half 5. Its gonna get a whole lot worse.

Definitely if heading west go via Airport road, 5 mile bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

phi3 wrote: »
    Any idea if there will be access for pedestrians during works, while they're knocking the flyover? It's used a lot.

Ya there will be access for pedestrians. Think they are going to have something like whats on the existing Bandon rd roundabout. The pedestrian flyover is planned to be demolished over the October bank holiday weekend. The N25 will be closed for the entire weekend afaik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

caeser wrote: »
    Ya there will be access for pedestrians. Think they are going to have something like whats on the existing Bandon rd roundabout. The pedestrian flyover is planned to be demolished over the October bank holiday weekend. The N25 will be closed for the entire weekend afaik!

That will be interesting for traffic to say the least. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I doubt it. They dont need an entire weekend to demolish it. An hour at night with a JCB will bring most of it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I doubt it. They dont need an entire weekend to demolish it. An hour at night with a JCB will bring most of it down.

I doubt that, I'd say most of it will be crushed onsite and reused as fill if they not going to reuse it as a pedestrian bridge. The metal railing will surely be recycled, and that will take a half day to remove etc.

I'd say there is easily 3 days work in completely removing the structure, but it might be demolished quickly and move off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Do we know when the bridge will be removed? Work so far seems... slow.

Update attached. Nothing really to see on the ground yet. I've moved to Ballincollig and will have to go through these two b.astards every day for the next two years. Looking forward to seeing the two flyovers take place.

Good (for the rest of us).

DAILY pictures while you sit in the traffic please!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Tremelo wrote: »
    Update attached. Nothing really to see on the ground yet. I've moved to Ballincollig and will have to go through these two b.astards every day for the next two years. Looking forward to seeing the two flyovers take place.

my heart bleeds for ya, ive been doing it every day for the last 6 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Good (for the rest of us).

DAILY pictures while you sit in the traffic please!

Lots of trees cleared today on the south east side of the Sarsfield

4EPb0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Well I did warn you :D

Very slow progress so far, I thought they'd be working around the clock on this

omerin wrote: »
    Well I did warn you :D

Very slow progress so far, I thought they'd be working around the clock on this

You did, but I got a magnificent apartment that I would have been mad to turn down.

BAM are building the flyovers. BAM like to take their time. The days of projects coming in almost a year ahead of schedule are well and truly at an end I'd say. It'll be interesting to observe the dismantling of the pedestrian bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I don't think I've seen any person stick to or below the 60 k/m hr speed limits.

I don't think I've seen any person stick to or below the 60 k/m hr speed limits.

True that. So far the works don't seem to have had any affect on traffic at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Why would they when 'the learned experience' is that there is only very occasional, if any at all, enforcement of 'works speed limits' in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 vf949

You did, but I got a magnificent apartment that I would have been mad to turn down.

BAM are building the flyovers. BAM like to take their time. The days of projects coming in almost a year ahead of schedule are well and truly at an end I'd say. It'll be interesting to observe the dismantling of the pedestrian bridges.

Are SIAC not the main contractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

SIAC are the main contractor.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but the demolition of the pedestrian bridge coming up will be a very interesting operation. Its particularly complex because its basically a huge prestressed beam. If you just start cutting the bridge, the tendons will fly out and possibly do major damage. Also once this stress is released, the bridge wont stand on its own and it all falls down.

A sequence they might use is:
    Prop the whole bridge
    Locally break out around the ends of the tendons
    Somehow relieve the prestress in the tendons.
    Start the demolition.

New update attached.

Must say, I'm liking these regular updates. I'll be going through both roundabouts twice daily from Monday onwards - and I'll likely be the only person in the city who looks forward to that prospect. My camera, which has been gathering dust for the past year, is being charged ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Do you not use it for anything other than roads Shane? :cool: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Do you not use it for anything other than roads Shane? :cool: :pac:

What else is there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Any more pictures...don't get to Cork too often

I plan to take a batch of photos at the weekend. The construction works are starting to get interesting now.

• Advertisement

EVERY day :D

Advertisement