Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

phi3 wrote: »
    I think pedestrians and cyclists are entitled to voice their opinion too in fairness.

I never said they werent entitled to voice their opinion. It just irks me when people use this "pedestrians/cyclists came last" BS. Of course they came last. Im not too sure of the official figures but i would imagine at least 20,000 cars use these roundabouts daily. I wouldnt imagine more than 200-300 pedestrians cross the Sarsfield Roundabout on a busy day

So for people complaining that they have to walk an extra 5 minutes to assist in the construction of a major flyover for one of the countries busiest roads/junctions is IMO not a justified or reasonable complaint. To make the complaint even more unreasonable the 5 minute extra walk is only temporary.

People need to build a bridge and get over it (No Pun Intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Hogzy wrote: »
    You're great at showing the pitfalls of the plan. Maybe you could come up with a viable alternative?
    And you are dam right pedestrians came last. Why shouldnt they considering the amount of vehicular traffic that uses the junction versus the amount of pedestrian traffic. God forbid you have to walk an extra 5 minutes. Most mornings i could be 15-20mins on the South Link trying to get through just ONE of these roundabouts. Its a short term inconvenience for a long term gain.

GET OVER IT!!!

Emm... at what point did I bemoan the lack of pedestrian convenience? I simply said "I'm afraid [from Phi3's perspective] pedestrians came last on this one", by which I meant that there wasn't a practical way to offer free-flow pedestrian movements. I didn't say I was a concerned pedestrian or cyclist. I was stating fact in answering a question, not ranting.

I'm delighted with the design, it will meet my East/West driving needs whenever I visit home. Once Newlands cross and Dunkettle are complete I'll be doing M50 to where I stay in Cork without hitting a single traffic light :)

Right of way is preserved for pedestrians, and it's just unfortunate that a small number of locals are affected by this, but a greater number of locals will see the benefit of their driving route to/from the shopping centre being less congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

spacetweek wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm with Hogzy here. Bit too much drama being made over what is really a minor - and temporary - inconvenience.

Please - please - some pictures!

To be fair, it's not temporary. Pedestrian movement via the roundabout will be the permanent solution. But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

progress on the dunnes side seems to be going well , they seem to be building up the road foundations at the moment with gravel etc .
    They seem to be avoiding closing any lanes on the roads till the latest possible opportunity, maybe holding off till schools out during the summer before lane closeures?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

progress on the dunnes side seems to be going well , they seem to be building up the road foundations at the moment with gravel etc .
    They seem to be avoiding closing any lanes on the roads till the latest possible opportunity, maybe holding off till schools out during the summer before lane closeures?

Might be holding off until the Easter holidays. I think schools are off for 2 weeks then. They'd fit a lot of work in then to move traffic on to newly constructed lanes. Waiting to the summer might be a bit to far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I heard last week that there is some problem with the apartments near the sarsfield road roundabout. The works are causing potential structural issues and there will be a hold up over this..anyone hear anything more concrete?

Ludo wrote: »
    I heard last week that there is some problem with the apartments near the sarsfield road roundabout. The works are causing potential structural issues and there will be a hold up over this..anyone hear anything more concrete?

I know the person who owns a number of those apartments. I can asure you that such a problem does not exist.
    Thats if we are talking about the same ones?

Update No. 23
    Traffic management arrangements currently in place are working well and the works are being progressed
    with little or no disruption to commuting traffic.
    A night time closure of the western section of the circulating carriageway at Bandon Road Roundabout will
    take place from 11p.m. on Wednesday 7
    th
    March, 2012. The purpose of the closure is to facilitate the
    removal of the safety netting which was installed under the new bridge while works on the bridge deck itself
    were being progressed. As the bridge deck has now been completed the safety netting is no longer required.
    The proposed diversion route is via the Curraheen Interchange and the works should be completed by
    approximately 4a.m. on the morning of Thursday 8
    th
    March, 2012 and will certainly be complete before
    7a.m. to ensure that there is no disruption to rush hour traffic.
    Significant weekend works associated with the installation of a new 600mm diameter watermain at Sarsfield
    Road Roundabout are currently being planned for late March/early April, 2012. Culvert installation works
    again in the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area are also being planned for April, 2012. Details of these
    upcoming operations will be circulated once plans are finalised.
    As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-
    4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800-932046 at any
    time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses can do so by
    registering their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Took this photo with my phone while stopped at the lights earlier today...

If you can make out what it is it's workers drilling a pile approx 1m from the edge of the road.:cool:

I guess they are doing there best not to disrupt the flow of traffic.:D

This is beside the above mentioned apartments near the sarsfield road roundabout. There was another two machines on that part of the site and loads of workers. I wouldn't say there's any structural issues by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

If I were down there, I would simply park my car elsewhere and walk over to take real photos... It's not like rocket science or safety paranoia at crossing the road.

• Advertisement

Skopzz wrote: »
    If I were down there, I would simply park my car elsewhere and walk over to take real photos... It's not like rocket science or safety paranoia at crossing the road.

If you were down there you would realise there is nowhere to walk either. All the foot bridges are gone and all hard shoulders have been fenced off. You'd be walking on an active lane of a dual carrigway. The only possible place I can see to take a photo from is the Dunnes car park. Skopzz, it's not some secret road project we're trying to keep to ourselves, there's just simply nowhere to take a photo from other than a moving car!

Back to reality, I see they've put in some kerbing for a new lanes down around the Dunnes area.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Trust me, if you were down here passing through these roundabouts twice a day at rush hour, the last thing you would want to do is get out of your car and delay joining the traffic queues in order to take some photos.

As others have already stated. It is seriously dangerous walking around there. Definitely not worth your life to get a few pictures on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Just incase any of this talk of unsafe photo taking is directed at me. I was sitting in stationary traffic wating for the lights to change, saw this machine near me, thought "oh that looks interesting", picked up my phone from the seat beside me, pressed the dedicated camera button which took the photo, put phone down and continued sitting in traffic. Took me all of 3 seconds. :cool:

If someone has a dash cam maybe they could upload the drive around the area.

But if your complaining about lack of dedicated photos why dont you go down and take them yourselfs.

Typewriter wrote: »
    Just incase any of this talk of unsafe photo taking is directed at me. I was sitting in stationary traffic wating for the lights to change, saw this machine near me, thought "oh that looks interesting", picked up my phone from the seat beside me, pressed the dedicated camera button which took the photo, put phone down and continued sitting in traffic. Took me all of 3 seconds. :cool:

If someone has a dash cam maybe they could upload the drive around the area.

But if your complaining about lack of dedicated photos why dont you go down and take them yourselfs.

whoops. Didnt mean to quote you in my above post. I meant to quote the poster below you. Ill edit my post now

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

I went for a walk this evening along the path alongside the south ring between the roundabouts. Apologies for the quality of the images, it was poor light, a poor camera (a phone) and a poor camera man.

Sign for the works and the new bridge at the west side of the Bandon Roundabout:-
    IMAG0101.jpg

The new bridge at the west side of the Bandon Roundabout:-
    IMAG0102.jpg

The new bridge at the west side of the Bandon Roundabout (the pier for the east span at the roundabout cannot be started until the rounabout approach road is moved):-
    IMAG0103.jpg

The SRR between Sarsfield Roundabout and Bandon roundaout taken from the north side of the road:-
    IMAG0104.jpg

A kerb forming machine on the east bound side of the SRR across from Dunnes Stores:-
    IMAG0105.jpg

Close up of the kerb former:-
    IMAG0106.jpg

Pile driving to the south west of the Sarsfield roundabout:-
    IMAG0108.jpg

Pile driving to the south west of the Sarsfield roundabout:-
    IMAG0110.jpg

The laying water to the south west of the Sarsfield roundabout shows why the pile driving is necessary:-
    IMAG0111.jpg

Pile driving to south east of the Sarsfield roundabout:-
    IMAG0112.jpg

Eastbound from the Sarsfield Roundabout heading towards the tunnel:-
    IMAG0113.jpg

Sarsfield roaundabout. Work on this bridge has not yet started:-
    IMAG0114.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

An update on OpenStreetMap shows the proposed realignment of the Sarsfield Roundabout in relation to the current configuration.

Thank bg07. They're about as good a set of pics you're going to get.

Saw a tarmac laying machine there this morning when I was passing. It wasn't laying tarmac yet but first time I've seen one on-site.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

They've really made some great progress. Can see this finishing a good few months ahead of schedule.

They started laying some tarmac near Dunnes this morning. Looks like they have a good long section preped for the first layer of tarmac. Lot's of kerbing in place now too and they've moved the kerbing machine up to the little section by The Barrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Sources tell me that SIAC are aiming to finish by the end of this year, which would be amazing since the original completion date was July 2013. Anyone else heard this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

alanucc wrote: »
    Sources tell me that SIAC are aiming to finish by the end of this year, which would be amazing since the original completion date was July 2013. Anyone else heard this?

I have heard nothing, but it looks very possible to me. No blacktop laid, btw. CBGM, yes; blacktop, no.

Employer’s Representative
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Togher Industrial Estate
    Togher
    Cork
    Tel: 021-4969280
    E-mail: n25@ccc-site.com

N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade

Progress Update 15th March 2012
    Works on the Scheme are progressing well and remain in target for overall completion by the due date of
    July 2013. At present, over 100 people are employed directly on the Scheme and this number is likely to
    increase further heading into the summer months.
    Photograph No. 1 attached is a recent aerial shot showing the Bandon Road Roundabout entre island area
    and the recently completed bridge deck on the new structure on the western side of the roundabout. Works
    on the structure on the eastern side of the roundabout will continue immediately after the Easter weekend
    following on from the implementation of upcoming traffic management arrangements.
    Photograph No. 2 gives an indication of the extent of works currently being carried out in the area south of
    the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Ground improvement works in the area east of the Sarsfield Road are
    substantially complete and embankment construction will get underway in this area over the next few weeks.
    Ground conditions in the area immediately west of the Sarsfield Road are such that precast concrete piles
    will be required to support the new road. Installation of these piles will take 3 to 4 weeks to complete with
    the works getting underway shortly after Easter.
    Construction of the road surface layers is also underway in the area immediately north of the Dunnes Stores
    shopping centre. Photograph No. 3 attached shows construction of the sub-base layers getting underway
    and black top surfacing will continue in this area over the next 2 weeks or so. On completion of surfacing
    and lining works in this area westbound traffic will be diverted on to these new traffic lanes and this will
    allow works to recommence on the structure on the eastern side of the Bandon Road Roundabout
    immediately after Easter.
    Works will be progressed on the basis of a 7 day working week for the next few weeks at least. The next
    major night time working item will be immediately west of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout and will
    necessitate closure of a number of westbound traffic lanes. These works are currently targeted to be carried
    out on the night of Saturday 31st March, 2012 and more detailed information will issue in relation to the
    associated traffic management arrangements in due course.

Associated Works:
    As part of a national programme of signs refurbishment, improvement works to the existing signs will be
    carried out in the area from the EMC factory at the Ovens interchange via the Jack Lynch Tunnel and the
    N25 to a point east of Carrigtwohill village. The upgrade works to be carried out to the signs will take
    account of the fact that the N25 South Ring Road has recently been reclassified by the Minister for
    Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr Leo Varadkar as the N40 National Primary Route. The works required
    will be carried out by Rennicks Sign Manufacturers Limited. The start date on site will be Monday 2nd April
    2012 and works on all signs should be completed before the end of August.Major refurbishment works are
    also required to the Jack Lynch Tunnel. It is currently envisaged that these works will be carried out under
    a series of night time closures of the tunnel. Further details of the traffic management measures associated
    with these works will be circulated prior to the Contract start date.
    As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-
    4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any
    time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses can do so by
    registering their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

The attachment is a PDF with 2 aerial photos of both projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

So the useless Varadkar has given the Ring its third route number change, Makes about as much sense as the N26 being up in Mayo !! N40 The road to nowhere :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

charlemont wrote: »
    So the useless Varadkar has given the Ring its third route number change, Makes about as much sense as the N26 being up in Mayo !! N40 The road to nowhere :p

The N40 designation makes complete sense IMO - this whole N25 CSRR thing was complete nonsense - N8 would have been much better than that - better still, N40 - why shouldn't Cork have its own ring number like Dublin! Also, since there's going to be a lot of new/replacement signage at/approaching the Sarsfield Road / Bandon Road Interchanges scheme, it now makes complete sense to bring in the N40 designation - I believe some of the current signs recently installed elsewhere on the CSRR have N40 numbers under N25 patch-overs in anticipation - sure that's the very thing that started the N40 thread if I remember correctly.

Bring on the N40! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Bring on the N40! :)

Absolutely!

It just means the Naas to Drogheda Dublin Outer Bypass will have to be called the M45 now, rather than the M40 ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

charlemont wrote: »
    What was the other change? Gotta agree, I'm not sure what the point of this renumbering is.

Will the Cork Northern Ring also be N40 then?

What was the other change? Gotta agree, I'm not sure what the point of this renumbering is.

That would be the plan I would assume.

In fairness when the entire ring road is built it would be stupid for half the ring to be the NXX and the other half to be the N25. It would be really confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

In my mind it will all be the N40.

Just a thought, but when the junction is built with the M8 north of Glanmire, will the mainline continue on the ring road with the M8 then commencing north of Glanmire. This would result in the GLanmire bypass being reclassified as being part of the N40.

I also think that the entire N40 may be given motorway status. I don't see any issue with a lack of alternative routes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

In my mind it will all be the N40.

Just a thought, but when the junction is built with the M8 north of Glanmire, will the mainline continue on the ring road with the M8 then commencing north of Glanmire. This would result in the GLanmire bypass being reclassified as being part of the N40.

I also think that the entire N40 may be given motorway status. I don't see any issue with a lack of alternative routes.

Sounds good! Anyone got a link to a map showing the entire N/M40 when it's finished?

(I want to measure it - bad enough Cork stealing the road number of the Outer Orbital but if it's longer than the M50 t'would be a real sickener ;))

Advertisement