Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Will be something like this. Very very rough sketch. Red indicates an alternative route.

343nrxc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

In my mind it will all be the N40.

Just a thought, but when the junction is built with the M8 north of Glanmire, will the mainline continue on the ring road with the M8 then commencing north of Glanmire. This would result in the GLanmire bypass being reclassified as being part of the N40.

I also think that the entire N40 may be given motorway status. I don't see any issue with a lack of alternative routes.

I doubt it. If there were a need to do that then the Dublin Port tunnel would have been called the M50 and not the M1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If there were a need to do that then the Dublin Port tunnel would have been called the M50 and not the M1

What's your point? The Dublin port tunnel is the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ardmacha wrote: »
    What's your point? The Dublin port tunnel is the M50.

I always thought it was the M1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Will be something like this. Very very rough sketch. Red indicates an alternative route.

343nrxc.jpg

Not very...eh...circular? :)

Any idea how long it would be?

• Advertisement

Blue circuit would be roughly 24 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hogzy wrote: »
    I always thought it was the M1

Its never been the M1. Bad signage on the M50/M1 junction seems to indicate it, but the M50 starts in Dublin Port.

That bit of road stopped being the M1 the day the DPT opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Alternative route?
    As far as I can see, the final route selection for the western section (N22->N20) is decided where have crayola-ed in blue there.

heres the broschure with the chosen route on page 2
    http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/CNRR%20Brochure-Preferred%20Route%20Part%201.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

spacetweek , a regular poster on here has a great website. (click on picture)

logo.png

It shows all future (and some wishful thinking) maps.

picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=12260

Alternative route?
    As far as I can see, the final route selection for the western section (N22->N20) is decided where have crayola-ed in blue there.

heres the broschure with the chosen route on page 2
    http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/CNRR%20Brochure-Preferred%20Route%20Part%201.pdf

Any idea what will happen with the Poulavone Roundabout ? Surely they won't have an at grade junction as part of the North Ring Road ? Ditto on the other roundabout between Poulavone and the Ballincollig bypass ?

Will the junction with the Ballincollig bypass be changed to have South Ring Road to North Rind Road being the mainline ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Who wants to renumber the N25 part of the thread title to N40?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Who wants to renumber the N25 part of the thread title to N40?? :D

Have to wait for the new number to catch on - N25 is hard-wired in my brain.

Typewriter - are you going to have to re-number your "location"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Typewriter wrote: »
    spacetweek , a regular poster on here has a great website. (click on picture)

logo.png

It shows all future (and some wishful thinking) maps.

picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=12260

Dear god that looks like such a simple and straightforward route ..
    Can't see it taking longer than 30 or 40 years to get to start date.....

How are they going to join to poulavoune "junction"( is there a housing estate in way) and will they have to redo road and junction to n22( it's kind of dual carriageway light.....)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Big update of my site on the way!
    - Remove South Ring from N25 page
    - Rename M40 (Leinster Orbital) page to M45 (I'm still guessing the number they'll assign!)
    - Create N40 page for South Ring segments

Markcheese wrote: »
    Dear god that looks like such a simple and straightforward route ..
    Can't see it taking longer than 30 or 40 years to get to start date.....

How are they going to join to poulavoune "junction"( is there a housing estate in way) and will they have to redo road and junction to n22( it's kind of dual carriageway light.....)

Going to be a few tunnels involved in the scheme in the eastern side of it. Anyone's who's travelled the back road from the N8 into Ballyvolane knows well about it.

Thankfully their plenty of space at the junction with the N22 to do something. I have no idea what will be done at the Poulavone Roundabout or the one after it. Scheme needs to be done properly from the start without any at-grade junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cjpm

Going to be a few tunnels involved in the scheme in the eastern side of it. Anyone's who's travelled the back road from the N8 into Ballyvolane knows well about it.

Thankfully their plenty of space at the junction with the N22 to do something. I have no idea what will be done at the Poulavone Roundabout or the one after it. Scheme needs to be done properly from the start without any at-grade junctions.

I thought that the only tunnel proposed was on the western segment, through Kerry Pike...:confused:

cjpm wrote: »
    I thought that the only tunnel proposed was on the western segment, through Kerry Pike...:confused:

Sorry, mistook a viaduct for a tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Johnson

Viaduct over Lower Kileens road

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Progress Update 25
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    28th March 2012

Localised traffic diversions will be in place on the Bandon/Sarsfield Interchange Scheme on the night of Saturday 31st March 2012. Traffic wishing to head west from the Sarsfield Road Roundabout will be diverted via the Sarsfield Road North and the Bishopstown Road to the Bandon Road Roundabout. Traffic heading east and traffic on the Sarsfield Road itself will not be affected by the proposed diversion.
    The purpose of the traffic diversion is to facilitate the installation of a new 600mm diameter watermain across the traffic lanes to be closed. This watermain will supply Cork University Hospital and the western suburbs of Cork City.
    It is expected that the diversion will be in place by 9.00 p.m. on Saturday night with all works completed and the road reopened to traffic before 12.00 noon on the morning of Sunday 1st April 2012.
    From an overall progress point of view the other significant current item is the ongoing pavement works in the area immediately north of Dunnes Stores. We still expect that traffic will be diverted onto the new lanes in this area immediately after Easter to facilitate construction of the new bridge structure at the eastern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Works overall remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013.

Progress Update 26 (file attached with mentioned pic):
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    30th March 2012

As set out in previous updates a new 600mm diameter ductile iron watermain will be installed in the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area overnight on the night of Saturday 31st March 2012. These works will necessitate the temporary closure of the westbound lanes from Sarsfield Road Roundabout and westbound traffic will be diverted via Sarsfield Road, Wilton Roundabout and Bishopstown Road back to the Bandon Road Roundabout. It is intended that the works will get underway before 9.00 p.m. on Saturday evening and roads should be full reopened to traffic by 12.00 noon on Sunday 1st April 2012.

Installation of bored concrete piles which has been ongoing for the past several weeks will reach substantial completion by mid-April 2012. After the Easter weekend this element of the works will focus on the Sarsfield Road Roundabout centre island area where preparatory excavation works are currently underway.
    On the southern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout and immediately west of the Sarsfield Road itself the ground conditions are such that driven concrete piles will be required to support the new road structure. These piles will be 300mm square and it is expected that they will have to be driven to depths of up to 75 feet. (Attached photograph shows the piling rig which will be used for the upcoming works.) Over 200 of these pre-cast concrete piles will be required and this element of the works will get underway immediately after the Easter weekend. Piling works will get underway each day at around 8.00 a.m. and it is hoped to shorten the overall piling period by taking advantage of the increasing daylight hours available. Nevertheless it is likely that piling works will continue until mid-May 2012.

On Wednesday 4th April / Thursday 5th April a further slight adjustment will be made to the pedestrian crossing routes at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. The adjustments here will be well signposted and all pedestrian crossing points will continue to be traffic light controlled.
    From a traffic management point of view the next significant item after the overnight works on Saturday 31st March will be the completion and opening of new traffic lanes immediately north of the Dunnes Stores shopping centre. Details of the traffic management arrangements associated with these works will issue shortly after the Easter weekend.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses can do so by registering their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Advertisement

lads, why are they using bored concrete piles in some parts and square driven concrete piles in other parts? What's the difference and the reason?

Any knowledgeable engineering person willing to shed some light?

Just two pics of Junction three under construction yesterday...

picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=12381

picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=12382

Anybody spot any N40 signs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

No N40 signs until after Easter.

Amtmann wrote: »
    No N40 signs until after Easter.

I thought they were starting today Monday 2nd April?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think you will see foundations being installed for the first few weeks. It's quite likely that the new route number will be greyed-out until all signs are installed along the route. It would be confusing to alternate between N25 and N40 on a piecemeal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Thread renamed to reflect re-designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From today's Irish Independent:
    PART of the Cork city ring road is to be renamed the N40 to make it easier for motorists to find their way into the city.

The National Roads Authority is to re-sign a section of the existing N25, between the N8 Dunkettle Interchange and N22 Poulavone to Tralee, to create the N40.

Work on the re-signing will begin next week, and will take six months.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cork-city-ring-road-renamed-3078885.html

6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bloody independent can never get their facts right even on the simplest of things.

ALL the ring is being renumbered not some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

dubhthach wrote: »
    Thread renamed to reflect re-designation.

Can you not leave N25 in brackets or something for a while...it is gonna be known as the N25 for a long time to most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Ludo wrote: »
    Can you not leave N25 in brackets or something for a while...it is gonna be known as the N25 for a long time to most people.

Erra, to be honest, I don't think many people refer to the road by its number at all.

For example, the road between Bishopstown and Douglas is commonly referred to as the 'Da Link', when in fact, it is not 'Da Link' at all, as that runs from the Kinsale roundabout into town.

Advertisement