Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That is very true of course...I still refer to the bridge over the link road on the South Douglas Road as the new bridge...yes I remember the old one and remember clambering across the half build new one in the mornings to get to school before the workers arrived rather than taking the long way down to where the link is now and back up the other side which the footpath did for a while (followed where the access roads there are now).

I am just so used to coming in here and scanning for N25 to get updates on construction...couldnt find it this morning. The road is NOT the N40 yet so kinda jumping gun renaming thread .

No biggie anyway...I could just follow the thread but too lazy to hit the button :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any chance we could keep discussion of the route number to the route number thread?

Best to post construction updates on this thread only.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

It would appear that the design of the Sarsfield road flyover (N40 Junction 4) layout has changed slightly.

200460.jpg
    200461.jpg
    Old layout:
    200462.jpg

Source: www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25-Sarsfield_Road_Bandon_Road_Interchanges/N25%20Scheme%20Drawings%20-%20(Subject%20to%20Change).dwf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

South Sarsfield Road to West N40 seems to have been made free flow. Anything else changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Freeflow North to East also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Me likey new layout :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Typewriter wrote: »
    Freeflow North to East also.

Ah! You have updated your location :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Ludo wrote: »
    dubhthach wrote: »
    Thread renamed to reflect re-designation.

Can you not leave N25 in brackets or something for a while...it is gonna be known as the N25 for a long time to most people.

It'll be known as the south link for many more people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

pa990 wrote: »

Quite. What's all this N-nonsense? I spent the first 25 years of my life in Cork and the major roads anyone I know speaks of are as follows:

- The Link
    - The Bandon road
    - The Airport road
    - The Dublin road
    - The Mallow road
    - The straight road
    - The tunnel

That's right, no one says 'take the n25 as far as dunkettle and continue on the N25 as far as junction whatever'.
    They say: 'Take the link into town and go out Tivoli, or you can go through the tunnel, and then go by Little island and turn off for Cobh to get to Fota'

I only started thinking in terms of N numbers when I moved to Dublin, out of necessity. Road numbers are for blow-ins to get their bearings quickly.

N40 me arse. No-one in Cork gives a fiddler's fart what some jackeen comes along and renames the link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MrDerp wrote: »
    N40 me arse. No-one in Cork gives a fiddler's fart what some jackeen comes along and renames the link.
    Downvote :(
    How do you know the people who renamed it were Dubs? Dublin is full of country people.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Downvote :(
    How do you know the people who renamed it were Dubs? Dublin is full of country people.

It was tongue-in-cheek parochial nonsense, to be read in a Cork accent. ;)

Par for the course in Cork that people always get the nomenclature wrong. What Corkonians generally call the "Peace Park" is actually the Bishop Lucey Park (the WWI monument in the actual Peace Park is a big clue).

Also, the "link" is not being renamed. The N25 SRR is. Your post, which I presume is tongue in cheek, illustrates perfectly why route numbers are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

It's official name may be the South Ring Road, but to every southsider I know it is The Link and will always be The Link.
    And yes, before it is asked, I know where the other Link is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rather than the N25 Ring road being renamed by Dubs, I presumed the renaming to N40 idea came from Cork in a typical - "well if Dublin has the M50 we should at least have a ring road with another big/unique number." :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Not quite sure where this is going. I think the discussion about the name, as suggested, should be kept here.
    Ludo wrote:
    I am just so used to coming in here and scanning for N25 to get updates on construction...couldnt find it this morning. The road is NOT the N40 yet so kinda jumping gun renaming thread .

Well, technically speaking it is. In any case, it may as well be gotten used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Amtmann wrote: »
    Par for the course in Cork that people always get the nomenclature wrong. What Corkonians generally call the "Peace Park" is actually the Bishop Lucey Park (the WWI monument in the actual Peace Park is a big clue).

Also, the "link" is not being renamed. The N25 SRR is. Your post, which I presume is tongue in cheek, illustrates perfectly why route numbers are essential.

Sure people still talk about "the fountain" in Merchant's Quay shopping centre (even though the fountain is gone a good 10 years now) and "the Statue" in "Pana" (St Patrick Street), you'll just have to learn the ways of us rebels;)!

When I lived in Cork the N27 as far as the 'magic roundabout' (Kinsale Road roundabout) was referred to as 'the link' and the N25 was called the 'south ring', although 'the link' could refer to the N25 SRR as well:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sure people still talk about "the fountain" in Merchant's Quay shopping centre (even though the fountain is gone a good 10 years now) and "the Statue" in "Pana" (St Patrick Street), you'll just have to learn the ways of us rebels;)!

When I lived in Cork the N27 as far as the 'magic roundabout' (Kinsale Road roundabout) was referred to as 'the link' and the N25 was called the 'south ring', although 'the link' could refer to the N25 SRR as well:D!

The official name for the N27 as far as the interchange is South City Link,, The Blackpool by pass is actually the seldom called North City Link. The SSR is just South City Ring, Although signage referring to Cork Ring has appeared lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

pa990 wrote: »

Quite. What's all this N-nonsense? I spent the first 25 years of my life in Cork and the major roads anyone I know speaks of are as follows:

- The Link
    - The Bandon road
    - The Airport road
    - The Dublin road
    - The Mallow road
    - The straight road
    - The tunnel

That's right, no one says 'take the n25 as far as dunkettle and continue on the N25 as far as junction whatever'.
    They say: 'Take the link into town and go out Tivoli, or you can go through the tunnel, and then go by Little island and turn off for Cobh to get to Fota'

I only started thinking in terms of N numbers when I moved to Dublin, out of necessity. Road numbers are for blow-ins to get their bearings quickly.

You've clearly never have had to give or write down road directions for tourists and visitors - not surprising really seeing as the only tourists who would go into the city are lost tourists.

For those of us from the more cultured and civilised parts of the county, where tourists tend to like to visit and not be hassled by southside scummers or norries, giving accurate directions would indeed involve using the correct designations, 'da link' and 'da tunnel' just won't cut it i'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

It was tongue-in-cheek parochial nonsense, to be read in a Cork accent.

;)

And here was I about to start explaining how in Dub folk now use road numbers all the time - something unimaginable 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

When I lived in Cork the N27 as far as the 'magic roundabout' (Kinsale Road roundabout) was referred to as 'the link' and the N25 was called the 'south ring', although 'the link' could refer to the N25 SRR as well

And sure the road to Queenstown was the T12A.

• Advertisement

Back on topic, the first blacktop was laid today immediately north of Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Amtmann wrote: »
    Back on topic, the first blacktop was laid today immediately north of Dunnes Stores.

Noticed that this morning. It's good to see.

Progress Update 27:
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    17th April 2012
    Significant night time works will be carried out in the Bandon Road Roundabout area on the nights of Tuesday 17th April 2012 and Wednesday 18th April 2012. The works consist of the placing of concrete bridge parapets to the recently completed bridge structure at the western side of the roundabout. These parapets will ultimately form part of the 8 foot high noise barriers to be placed on this structure and, in order to facilitate the installation works it will be necessary to close the section of the Bandon Road Roundabout circulating carriageway immediately under the new structure. The works will be carried out between 11.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m. on both nights in order to ensure that there will be no significant disruption to traffic and a localised diversion via Curraheen Interchange will be in place throughout the works.

Construction of the pavement layers on the new road immediately north of the Dunnes Stores shopping centre is also now underway. These works will continue for the next few weeks and it is now hoped to divert westbound traffic onto this new section of road before the May Bank Holiday weekend. Similar pavement construction works will follow on in the eastbound lanes leaving the Bandon Road Roundabout area and again it is hoped that traffic will be diverted onto the new lanes in this area before the May Bank Holiday weekend. On completion of the pavement works in both of these areas works will get underway on the second structure at the Bandon Road Roundabout immediately after the May Bank Holiday weekend.

At the Sarsfield Road Roundabout end of the job installation of pre-cast piles has gotten underway. These piling works are currently scheduled to continue until mid to late May 2012. However, it is proposed to extend the working hours for this activity with a view to shortening the overall duration for the piling works to the greatest extent possible.

Also in the Sarsfield Road area it will be necessary to install a new 5 foot diameter culvert under the South Ring Road adjacent to the ESB Headquarters. These works will necessitate the closure of a section of the eastbound lanes on the South Ring Road. In order to minimise disruption to commuting traffic plans are currently being prepared with a view to carrying out these works over the May Bank Holiday weekend – further details will be issued as proposals are finalised under this heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Is the plan to have the Bandon flyover, done and opened before the Sarsfield roundabout ? Even just having 1 open would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Anyone know what's going onto the precast piles on the southern Sarsfield Road approach? Several of them in place now. Nice boggy ground there for them...;)

Is the plan to have the Bandon flyover, done and opened before the Sarsfield roundabout ? Even just having 1 open would make a big difference.

Doubtful. If I'm not mistaken:

1. There's no plan for westbound access to the Bandon Road flyover between Sarsfield Rd and Bandon Rd. Since traffic from Sarsfield Rd will have to go through the Bandon Road roundabout to access N40 West, they're unlikely to divert over the flyover temporarily.

2. There's no plan for an exit eastbound to the Sarsfield Road flyover for traffic going East over the Bandon Rd flyover, this traffic will exit at Bandon Road and navigate the two roundabouts when everything is finished. So, again, they're unlikely to do a temporary diversion.

Ultimately, the movements (bar special restrictions at certain times) for the duration of the works are exactly the same as before. Indeed all previous movements will remain in place after the works also, but there will be new express movements when the whole thing opens:
    1. Through Eastbound traffic
    2. Through Westbound traffic
    3. Westbound traffic can bypass Sarsfields Rd roundabout and exit for Bandon Rd roundabout
    4. Eastbound traffic from the Bandon Road roundabout can join the through eastbound traffic and bypass Sarsfields Rd roundabout.

If the Sarsfields Road flyover was ready first, this would facilitate a partial opening, but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corkipedia

I took a few photos of the works on the N25/N40 Bandon Road flyover yesterday evening. These are available to view on http://www.corkipedia.com/wiki/N25_Bandon/Sarsfield_Interchanges_Upgrade_Photos

Also see http://www.corkipedia.com/wiki/N25_Bandon/Sarsfield_Interchanges_Upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Anyone know what's going onto the precast piles on the southern Sarsfield Road approach? Several of them in place now. Nice boggy ground there for them...;)

Word on the street is that the cast-in-situ piles haven't been a success and have to be replaced with precast piles

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

For those who don't get the email:
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade

Progress Update

26th April 2012

A significant milestone on the scheme will be reached over this coming weekend with a section of the new
    road adjacent to the Dunnes Stores shopping centre being opened to traffic. The photograph attached shows
    preparatory works being completed in this area. The section of the South Ring Road between Sarsfield
    Road Roundabout and Bandon Road Roundabout will be closed to westbound traffic overnight on the night
    of Saturday 28th April 2012. Obviously the works are being carried out at night time to minimise
    inconvenience to road users. We expect to be closing the road to westbound traffic at around 8.00 p.m. on
    Saturday evening and westbound traffic will be directed onto the new road section when the road reopens at
    around noon on Sunday 29th April 2012.

Significant works are also scheduled to take place over the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. In this case
    the section of the South Ring Road between Bandon Road Roundabout and Sarsfield Road Roundabout will
    be closed to eastbound traffic from around 9.00 p.m. on Friday 4th May 2012. This partial closure is mainly
    to facilitate the installation of a new 2.1 metre diameter concrete pipe under the existing road near the
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout. The road will be reopened to traffic as quickly as possible and will certainly be
    reopened for commuting traffic by 6.00 a.m. on the morning of Tuesday 8th May 2012. The new traffic
    lanes currently being constructed near the Bandon Road Roundabout area will also be brought into use when
    the road is reopened.

The diversion route for eastbound traffic over the Bank Holiday weekend will be via the Bishopstown Road,
    Wilton Roundabout and Sarsfield Road. Gardai will be on hand over the weekend monitoring traffic on the
    diversion route in order to ensure that traffic disruption is minimised.

Opening of the two road sections over the coming weekends will allow construction of the new bridge
    structure at the eastern side of the Bandon Road Roundabout to get underway immediately after the May
    Bank Holiday weekend. The walls required for the flyover approach ramps to this structure will also get
    underway immediately after the Bank Holiday weekend.

The excavation works ongoing in the Sarsfield Road Roundabout centre island area should reach completion
    over the next few days. Also in this area, installation of concrete columns should reach completion before
    the May Bank Holiday weekend.

In the area south of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout the piling works will continue over this coming weekend
    and are not likely to reach substantial completion until around the middle of May. Working hours in this
    area will continue to be 8.00 a.m. until approximately 9.00 p.m. each weekday and 8.00 a.m. to around 5.00
    p.m. on weekend working days.

Cork City and County Councils are certainly appreciative of the cooperative approach shown by commuters
    and local residents in relation to the works to date and hope that this approach will continue to be a feature
    as the works are completed over the coming period. Motorists are reminded that there is a temporary 60 kph
    speed limit in place throughout the works area and should also note that there will be a particular focus on
    enforcement under this heading over the coming period up to and over the May Bank Holiday weekend.

Associated Works:

The Sign Refurbishment Contract to improve signage along the N25 from the EMC factory at Ovens via the
    Jack Lynch Tunnel to a point east of Carrigtwohill village is also ongoing. To date a large number of sign
    poles have been put in position. Signs will begin to be erected from Monday 30th April 2012 including N40
    signage associated with the recent re-classification of the South Ring Road to the N40. No traffic disruption
    is anticipated as a result of these works over the coming period.

The Contract to carry out major refurbishment works to the Jack Lynch Tunnel is also likely to be awarded
    in the very near future. These works will necessitate night time closures of the tunnel for a number of
    months. A start date for works on site of late June/early July is now anticipated under this heading and
    details of traffic management arrangements proposed will be circulated in due course.

Finally, sign refurbishment works will also be carried out in the City centre area on the nights of Monday
    30th April 2012 and Tuesday 1st May 2012. Localised traffic management measures will be in place as
    required in association with these works. However the fact that the works are being carried out at night will
    ensure that no significant traffic disruption will arise.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspects of the works set out herein can contact
    us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932
    046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the various schemes
    progress should register their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Advertisement

What'll they do for traffic lights on that new section I wonder. I presume there'll be temporary sets up for a while.

Advertisement