Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Progress update 33.
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update – Reminder
    Monday 11th June 2012

In addition to ongoing construction activity, significant night time works will be progressed over the coming period starting on tonight Monday 11th June 2012. It is proposed to install the service ducting required in the grass verges of the new road layout under appropriate traffic control measures between approximately 9p.m. and 6a.m. each night for the next number of weeks. The works are being progressed in this way in order to avoid disruption to commuting traffic.

In addition to the ongoing Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade Scheme, a traffic signs refurbishment scheme is also being progressed on behalf of the National Roads Authority. Under this contract the existing signage is being upgraded from Poulavone Interchange along the full length of the South Ring Road and onwards to Carrigtwohill via the Jack Lynch Tunnel. Again significant elements of this Contract are being progressed under night time traffic management in order to avoid traffic delays. Over the coming week the exiting gantry signs for eastbound traffic between Sarsfield Road Roundabout and kinsale Road Roundabout will be upgraded. Works will get underway each evening at approximately 10p.m. and will be finished each morning by 6a.m. It is anticipated that this signs refurbishment contract will continue until the end of July with localised traffic diversions required on the Dunkettle to Carrigtwohill section on a number of nights over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

neddynasty wrote: »
    I think it'll take close to the 12 months to finish. I really don't have a clue but I reckon it'll take another 3 months to complete the Bandon flyover. They haven't really started the above ground works on the Sarsfield flyover and that looks trickier. I reckon that'll take at least 9 months. So in conclusion we're talking 9-12 months before it's completed. Just to re-iterate, I'm completely guessing but it's how long I reckon it'll take.

I'd be amazed at this stage if there wasn't a phased opening.

3 months and the Bandon flyover will be completed. I couldn't see any issue with opening the flyover Westbound as a previous poster has said and having a temporary sliproad from the outer access road to mainline to facilitate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'd be amazed at this stage if there wasn't a phased opening.

3 months and the Bandon flyover will be completed. I couldn't see any issue with opening the flyover Westbound as a previous poster has said and having a temporary sliproad from the outer access road to mainline to facilitate this.

I'm afraid both flyovers will open at the same time:
    Shane,

We will not be opening one flyover before both are completed as it would be almost impossible to provide safe traffic control measures in that scenario,

Kieran

A real pity. I personally can't see the big deal with Bandon fly over west being opened.

I can see how a complete opening with traffic travelling east could cause a lot of trouble and congestion at the Sarsfield roundabout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Looking at the plans it seems there will be no slip-road on to the N40 for westbound traffic from from the SRR with traffic being directed through the BRR before being allowed to merge on after the flyover. There is a slip-road off for local access and the N71 which will merge with that westbound flow. Not much point in opening the BRR flyover if it will just clog up the SRR as @AugustusMinimus said.

• Advertisement

DerMutt wrote: »
    Looking at the plans it seems there will be no slip-road on to the N40 for westbound traffic from from the SRR with traffic being directed through the BRR before being allowed to merge on after the flyover. There is a slip-road off for local access and the N71 which will merge with that westbound flow. Not much point in opening the BRR flyover if it will just clog up the SRR as @AugustusMinimus said.

What I was thinking would be to temporarily create a sliproad from the outer access road to the mainline between SRR and BRR heading west so that at least westward traffic could avoid the BRR. Obviously just too much hassel in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Wonder will they do anything about the flooding on Sarsfields Road?

They've laid the edge gutters for the west-bound sections on the way from the SRR which gives a great indication as to how the new layout's going to work. Definitely no chance of slipping on from the Sarsfield Road side and that's probably one of the safety issues in opening the BRR flyover first - those gutters have a sharp dip into the drain slots so the alignment is pretty much fixed.
    phi3 wrote: »
    Wonder will they do anything about the flooding on Sarsfields Road?

It would appear that the road level will be taken up a fair bit which may help to alleviate the flooding. It also seems that they've decided on a slip road from the N40 onto Sarsfield Road south-bound as well as the one from Wilton side heading east and Sarsfield Road to the N40 west.

Progress Update 36:
    Progress Update
    Friday 6th July 2012

Night time working will continue on the Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Scheme over the coming weeks associated mainly with ongoing duct installation works. These works necessitated localised lane closures and the works are being carried out at night in order to minimise traffic disruption.

A relatively minor adjustment will be made to the westbound traffic lanes immediately west of Sarsfield Road Roundabout overnight on the night of Friday 6th July 2012. While the lane adjustment is relatively minor motorists are asked to pay particular attention while the new layout becomes established. These works are being carried out in order to facilitate piling works associated with construction of the new flyover at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Construction of this structure will get underway during week
    commencing Monday 9th July 2012.

The target date for installation of the bridge beams at the eastern structure of the Bandon Road Roundabout remains as Monday 16th July 2012. These works will again be carried out at night in order to minimise disruption to traffic and details of traffic management arrangements will be circulated over the next few days.

Also on the South Ring Road and on the N25 Cork-Midleton Road a sign refurbishment contract is ongoing. Again the main works on this contract are being carried out under night time lane closures in order to minimise disruption to traffic. The contract to install traffic counters along the South Ring Road and on the N25 is also now underway. Daytime hard closure shoulders will be required in association with these works with night time lane closures to follow over the next few weeks. Again it is not anticipated that these works will cause any significant disruption to traffic.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspects of the works set out herein can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the various schemes progress should register their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

Some (if not all) the bridge beams at the eastern structure of the Bandon Road Roundabout went in last night. That structure is really taking shape now. Moving along at a good pace.

• Advertisement

They've started laying blacktop on the new stretch being built approaching Dunnes from the SRR! I hope this means that section will open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

DerMutt wrote: »
    They've started laying blacktop on the new stretch being built approaching Dunnes from the SRR! I hope this means that section will open soon.

Apparently both open simultaneously.

Progress Update 38
    Progress Update
    Friday 27th July 2012

The bridge beams for the new bridge structure at the eastern side of the Bandon Road Roundabout were placed on the night of Monday 16th July 2012. Localised diversions also took place on the nights of Tuesday 17th July 2012 and Wednesday 18th July 2012 to facilitate follow on works to the bridge deck.

Construction of pavement layers is ongoing in the area between the Sarsfield road roundabout and the Bandon road roundabout. Westbound Traffic between the two roundabouts will be moved on to this new section of the road in the coming weeks. Further details will be advertised in advance of this change.

In the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area excavation works are complete for the western abutment of the Sarsfield Road flyover structure. Piling works for this structure got underway in the recent days.

In the area east of Sarsfield Road Roundabout the existing road will be widened in order to accommodate the number of traffic lanes proposed in the new alignment. To facilitate this, a new traffic management layout will be in place from Tuesday 31st July 2012 for both eastbound and westbound traffic. Motorists are asked to pay particular attention to the reduced speed limit throughout the works area as these median excavation works are being progressed.

Also on the South Ring Road and on the N25 Cork-Midleton Road the Sign Refurbishment Contract and the Traffic Counter Installation Contract are both ongoing. In both cases any works which require lane closures are being carried out at night in order to minimise disruption to traffic.

Other contracts in the general Cork area:
     Brian Boru Bridge was closed for essential maintenance works at 9.00 p.m. on Saturday 21st July 2012. It will reopen to traffic again at 6.00 a.m. on Monday 20th August 2012. Alternative routes are available in this case via the Lower Glanmire Road, Water Street, Horgan’s Quay and Michael Collins Bridge.
     ESB cabling works also got underway this week on the South City Link Road. These works necessitate a closure of one lane in both an inbound and outbound direction and the works are due to be completed by the end of August.
     Following on from completion of both the Brian Boru Bridge works and the South City Link works, fire protection works will get underway at the Jack Lynch Tunnel. These essential safety works will be progressed under night time closures running from early September until the start of December 2012.

Again details of these upcoming closures will be advertised over the coming period.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspects of the works set out herein can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the various schemes progress should register their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

Hi to everyone.
    I have been a long-time reader of this and other road threads but have never contributed any pictures. I will be back in Cork in September for a holiday and intend taking photos of this scheme.
    I have read the instructions on posting photos but am still not sure of getting it right. Could someone give me some pointers about ideal photo size and the way to upload from my computer?
    I will then oblige with lots of photos of both ends of the scheme from as many angles as I can manage.
    Thanks in advance for the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Sure... PM me and I'll try and help you out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Hi to everyone.
    I have been a long-time reader of this and other road threads but have never contributed any pictures. I will be back in Cork in September for a holiday and intend taking photos of this scheme.
    I have read the instructions on posting photos but am still not sure of getting it right. Could someone give me some pointers about ideal photo size and the way to upload from my computer?
    I will then oblige with lots of photos of both ends of the scheme from as many angles as I can manage.
    Thanks in advance for the tips.

I think you need a photo account of your own - I've one in Flickr. AFAIK you can embed images in your post using a link to any of the images in your account. I haven't figured out where to find the direct image links yet however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think you need a photo account of your own - I've one in Flickr. AFAIK you can embed images in your post using a link to any of the images in your account. I haven't figured out where to find the direct image links yet however.

I just e-mailed Eurasia with the instructions for this. It just takes a bit of tinkering around with the BB code. I don't think you can access the original image itself though without a pro account, though I'm open to correction on that.

Progress Update 39:
    Progress Update
    Wednesday 8th August 2012

Motorists are advised that a further section of the new roadway adjoining the Dunnes Stores shopping centre will be opened to westbound traffic overnight tonight. Diversion of traffic onto the new section of roadway will take place after 10 pm and motorists are asked to pay particular attention to the new signage and the 60kph speed limit while the new layout becomes established over the coming days.
    Diversion of traffic onto this new section will allow us to progress excavation of the existing median area on the South Ring which in turn will facilitate further works on the approach ramp to the flyover at the Bandon Road Roundabout. Similar median excavation works are already underway between the Sarsfield Roud Roundabout and the Pouladuff Overbridge- our aim in this area is to install the new concrete median barrier before the end of this month.
    Works over the coming weeks will focus increasingly on the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area including the entrance to Elmvale Estate. Details of the various work elements will be circulated as the works progress. Given the volume of upcoming works motorists are again asked to cooperate by observing the speed limits through the works area.

Also on the South Ring Road and on the N25 Cork-Midleton Road the Sign Refurbishment Contract and the Traffic Counter Installation Contract are both ongoing. In both cases any works which require lane closures are being carried out at night in order to minimise disruption to traffic.

Other contracts in the general Cork area remain as set out in the previous update:
     Brian Boru Bridge was closed for essential maintenance works at 9.00 p.m. on Saturday 21st July 2012. It will reopen to traffic again at 6.00 a.m. on Monday 20th August 2012. Alternative routes are available in this case via the Lower Glanmire Road, Water Street, Horgan’s Quay and Michael Collins Bridge.
     ESB cabling works also got underway this week on the South City Link Road. These works necessitate a closure of one lane in both an inbound and outbound direction and the works are due to be completed by the end of August.
     Following on from completion of both the Brian Boru Bridge works and the South City Link works, fire protection works will get underway at the Jack Lynch Tunnel. These essential safety works will be progressed under night time closures running from early September until the start of December
    2012. Again details of these upcoming closures will be advertised over the coming period.

Was told that there's drainage issues at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout end due to the roundabout being built on a former bog.

Anyone like to expand on what is happening there ? Progress on the Sars flyover seems painfully slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Was told that there's drainage issues at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout end due to the roundabout being built on a former bog.

Anyone like to expand on what is happening there ? Progress on the Sars flyover seems painfully slow.

Coming from someone who used to catch Frogs in that particular bog I am not at all surprised. The other thing which I am sure that the contractors have in the back of their heads was a recent High Court case. This was about an apartment block which was built by O Brien & O Flynn in a development very close to this flyover.
    They had contracted a company called Cain White to pile the foundations of this building, to cut a long story short, the building cracked and was demolished, Cain Whites' Insurance company had to splash out and there is now a nice green where that building used to be.
    So that could be why progress is so slow.

• Advertisement

Progress Update 40:
    Progress Update
    Friday 14th September 2012

The Bandon/Sarsfield Interchange Scheme remains on target for completion by the due date of July 2013. As part of the overall completion process a number of significant work items will be progressed before the end of this year:
     Construction of the concrete median barrier between Sarsfield Road Roundabout and the Pouladuff Overbridge is now underway. Construction of this section of the median barrier should be completed before the end of September 2012.
     The new road pavement in this area will then be constructed during October 2012. This new surfacing will extend east of the Pouladuff Overbridge to the termination point of the Kinsale Road Interchange Scheme which was completed in 2007.
     The concrete deck of the bridge at the eastern side of the Bandon Road Roundabout will be cast on Thursday 20th September 2012.
     Realignment works on the Sarsfield Road south of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout, to include a realigned entrance to the Elmvale Estate will be progressed in early November 2012. These works will necessitate fairly significant traffic management measures and details of these will be circulated in due course.
     It is hoped to divert westbound traffic onto the new lanes currently under construction at the Headlands Apartments before the end of November 2012. In conjunction with this traffic diversion it is also hoped to open the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout circulating carriageway to traffic. Significant traffic management measures will be required to allow these works to be progressed and again details of these will be issued in due course, probably in early November 2012.
     Construction of the Sarsfield Road Overbridge itself is already underway. This element of the works should become visible to passing motorists before the end of October 2012.
     Construction of the Sarsfield Road Flyover approach ramps will also get underway before the end of October 2012.
     Night-time working, including duct installation, surfacing works, relocation of traffic lanes etc. will be a feature of the Scheme for a number of weeks from next Monday, 17th September 2012.

In view of the scale of the upcoming works, motorists are again asked to observe the temporary speed limits in place throughout the works area and to pay particular attention to road signage advising of any changes in the road layout.

If there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses please register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

Itching to see some sort of visible progress at the Sarsfield's roundabout. I'd say there's 4 months work to complete the Bandon flyover part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Less than that I'm guessing: the Bandon RAB overpass seems to be nearly built while Sarsfield (with the exception of a little ramp thing on the Southeastern side) is going nowhere.

I suspect that the case for a phased opening (epsecially for Westbound traffic) will eventully become incontestable.

SeanW wrote: »
    Less than that I'm guessing: the Bandon RAB overpass seems to be nearly built while Sarsfield (with the exception of a little ramp thing on the Southeastern side) is going nowhere.

I suspect that the case for a phased opening (epsecially for Westbound traffic) will eventully become incontestable.

I can see no reason at all why this shouldn't happen. All it will take is a temporary lane from the outside access road to the mainline to allow this to happen. Would prob take 1/3 of the traffic off the Bandon Roundabout straight away.

SeanW wrote: »

Anyone know what the little ramp thing is for? Is it part of the flyover or just part of the new road that'll access the Sarsfield road?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

neddynasty wrote: »
    Anyone know what the little ramp thing is for? Is it part of the flyover or just part of the new road that'll access the Sarsfield road?

That ramp is part of the left turn onto Sarsfield road.The level of Sarsfield road is going to be raised up as far as the entrance to Elmvale estate. The ramp as it is at the moment might be a bit higher than the finished level, but not sure.

Progress Update 41:
    Progress Update
    Wednesday 26th September 2012

As set out in the previous update, a number of significant work items will be progressed before the end of 2012. Motorists are advised that An Garda Síochána will be placing a particular emphasis on traffic speeds through the works area for the remainder of this year.

In overall terms the works remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013. In general terms, the Contractor SIAC Construction Ltd. is proposing to relocate the westbound traffic lanes into the areas currently under construction to the south of the existing road by early December 2012. On completion of the diversion of westbound traffic the Sarsfield Road flyover area will become available to the Contractor for construction works – this diversion of westbound traffic is effectively the most significant traffic management item prior to opening of the flyover to traffic.

The Contractor has targeted individual work items for specific dates as follows:

 A localised diversion will be in place in the Bandon Road Roundabout area from 11p.m. on Wednesday 26th September 2012 until approximately 3a.m. on Thursday 27th September 2012. This localised diversion is required to facilitate works on the bridge deck of the structure on the eastern side of the Bandon Road Roundabout.
     Surfacing works will be carried out on the westbound traffic lanes in the area east of Sarsfield Road Roundabout during week commencing Monday 1st October 2012. In order to minimise disruption to traffic these works will be progressed under night time working with traffic reduced to one lane in the westbound direction.
     It is proposed that the final surfacing layer for these westbound lanes will be installed during daytime working on Saturday 6th October 2012. The final surfacing layer is being progressed during daytime working for quality control reasons and westbound traffic will be reduced to one lane while these works are being progressed.
    Electronic warning signs will be erected on site over the coming days onfirming the date and times for daytime traffic restrictions.
     A similar process will be carried out during week commencing Monday 8th October 2012 for the eastbound traffic lanes east of Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Again the regulating layers will be progressed during night time working from Monday 8th October to Friday 12th October 2012 inclusive with the final surfacing layer constructed under daytime working on Saturday 13th October 2012.
    Eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane while these works are being progressed and again electronic warning signs will be erected in advance confirming the date and times for traffic restrictions in this area.
     Following on from final surfacing works in the area east of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout, the works focus will shift to opening of the new lanes for westbound traffic and this process will include opening of the realigned Sarsfield Road Roundabout itself. The current target date for this element of the works is the weekend of Friday 23rd November 2012. In order to achieve this target date it will be necessary to carry out significant weekend works on the weekend commencing Friday 9th November 2012 at Elmvale with significant night time working being a feature on the scheme from now until the end of November 2012.
    Details of the works at the entrance to the Elmvale estate and the works on the Sarsfield Road Roundabout generally will be circulated well in advance.
     At the western end of the scheme it is hoped to progress the final surfacing layer by early December 2012 at the latest. These works will be progressed by weekend working and again details will be circulated well in advance.

In summary, the remaining months of 2012 will be particularly busy from a traffic management point of view and the continued cooperation of the motoring public is requested as the works advance. Continued cooperation is similarly requested from local residents particularly in relation to the upcoming night time works.

As always, if there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses lease
    register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

alanucc wrote: »
    That ramp is part of the left turn onto Sarsfield road.The level of Sarsfield road is going to be raised up as far as the entrance to Elmvale estate. The ramp as it is at the moment might be a bit higher than the finished level, but not sure.

It sounds like The Sarsfield Road roundabout is going to turn out a bit like the Blackpool Bypass, in the way it is elevated over houses etc.
    But I suppose that is what has to expected in any road construction in a urban area, I pity the residents backing onto this.

Hello all.

Back in August I posted a question about how to upload photos and BluntGuy mailed me instructions. He told me I would be better off setting up a Flickr account and uploading from there.

Since I did not have a Flickr account or anything like it (I am not even on FB!) I asked him if he would upload my photos if I emailed them to him. We agreed he would do so.

Maybe because of work or private commitments he has not been able to do so yet and that is ok with me. If I were not such a technophobe I would be doing this myself!

As promised, I took photos of the scheme when I was in Cork 2 weeks ago. They were taken from the Waterfall Rd bridge, Dunnes Stores car park, the walkway which runs parallel on the north side of the N40 from Bandon Rd to Sarsfield Rd, a few from the Sarsfield area (but I could not get an interesting close-up) and finally from the Pouladuff Rd bridge.

All-in-all there are 30 or so photos reduced to 800 x 600. In addition there are a few more photos of the N40 taken from the pedestrian bridge over the road near Mahon Point. Since they are not part of the scheme I do not know where they might be posted.

I would like to get the photos up within this month. Otherwise they will become dated as the scheme progresses.

Is anyone on the forum this weekend interested in posting the photos if I email them to you? PM me if you are so inclined. Then we can share email addresses and I will bombard you with the photos. Otherwise we can hang on for BluntMan.

Thanks to BluntMan for his assistance so far and to anyone else who can put up the photos.
    EurasiaEndtoEnd

• Advertisement

Does anyone here also post on SkyscraperCityForums? If yes and you want to post my photos on the motorway and or Ireland threads, again PM me here (I am not a member of SSC) and I will send you the pics.
    Cheers.

Advertisement