Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Hi Eurasia.

A good method of putting up the photos is using a photo hosting website.

I'd suggest http://tinypic.com/ if you want to put up maybe 4 or 5 photos. Doesn't take too long and it's easy to use. After you upload each photo, it will provide you a link to each photo which you can use to show the photo on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

Hello Augustus

I have so many photos, I will wait another day or so to see if anyone can put up quite a few, rather than just 4 or 5. Thanks for the advice.

Eurasia
    Hi Eurasia.

A good method of putting up the photos is using a photo hosting website.

I'd suggest http://tinypic.com/ if you want to put up maybe 4 or 5 photos. Doesn't take too long and it's easy to use. After you upload each photo, it will provide you a link to each photo which you can use to show the photo on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hello Augustus

I have so many photos, I will wait another day or so to see if anyone can put up quite a few, rather than just 4 or 5. Thanks for the advice.

Eurasia

Why dont you upload them to boards? When typing a post look for the "attach" button, its next to the smiley face on the toolbar when typing out a post.
    Its really simple to do.

tbh nobody is going to bother putting up loads of pictures that dont belong to them.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why dont you upload them to boards? When typing a post look for the "attach" button, its next to the smiley face on the toolbar when typing out a post.
    Its really simple to do.

tbh nobody is going to bother putting up loads of pictures that dont belong to them.

Hi there.
    I use the same computer at work and at home. The rigmarole I need to go through for security-sake at work is a pain so I am a member of as few sites as I can live with. I was advised to join Flickr in order to upload photos to here and I declined.

So, what I did was take about 40 photos of the N40 and hoped someone else would post them. Sort of, I will do the grunt work of walking around taking the photos if someone else would be so kind as to upload them.

If I could upload from my desktop, I would, but I was advised that I could not.

Two people have already pm-ed me with offers to upload to SSC.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just a heads up , traffic corp parked near the sarsfield rd 60kph reduced speed areas yesterday, they were on the east side when i passed looked like a hand held camera to take photos of people speeding ... personally i would be more concerned with the west side of the roundabout heading west where that double bend is on the road now.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up , traffic corp parked near the sarsfield rd 60kph reduced speed areas yesterday, they were on the east side when i passed looked like a hand held camera to take photos of people speeding ... personally i would be more concerned with the west side of the roundabout heading west where that double bend is on the road now.

I thought that temporary road work speed limits were unenforceable in terms of fixed penalty notices. Surely the by laws would have to be changed in order to prosecute someone?
    Obviously if you have a crash and you are breaking the recommended speed limit then that is a sign of negligence etc.

I thought that temporary road work speed limits were unenforceable in terms of fixed penalty notices. Surely the by laws would have to be changed in order to prosecute someone?
    Obviously if you have a crash and you are breaking the recommended speed limit then that is a sign of negligence etc.
    I hope your right, they seemed to point the yoke straight at my car and follow me for a second while my girlfriend was driving and i was in passenger seat.
    If you have any source for what you think then link me to it.

I will be honest here we came from the sarsfield rd side (driving test centre side) of the roundabout and due to the traffic build up at the time we had to join the dual carraigway in the overtaking lane.

Nothing wrong with that as anyone who uses it knows due to traffic etc and the lane markings its the way you do it.

So there we were just on the dual carrigeway in overtaking lane very very busy, no chance of moving into left lane until traffic all sped up and opportunity would present itself. As can be expected girlfriend was doing the 60kph limit when a asshole in a merc started flashing like mad and honking , so i just said for the sake of it speed up as that section has no bends whatsoever .......... que us speeding up slightly garda probably clocked us at 80kph .......... :( era if a fine comes its a case of lesson learnt to ignore such assholes , however even the left lane was going faster than us.

I hope your right, they seemed to point the yoke straight at my car and follow me for a second while my girlfriend was driving and i was in passenger seat.
    If you have any source for what you think then link me to it.

I will be honest here we came from the sarsfield rd side (driving test centre side) of the roundabout and due to the traffic build up at the time we had to join the dual carraigway in the overtaking lane.

Nothing wrong with that as anyone who uses it knows due to traffic etc and the lane markings its the way you do it.

So there we were just on the dual carrigeway in overtaking lane very very busy, no chance of moving into left lane until traffic all sped up and opportunity would present itself. As can be expected girlfriend was doing the 60kph limit when a asshole in a merc started flashing like mad and honking , so i just said for the sake of it speed up as that section has no bends whatsoever .......... que us speeding up slightly garda probably clocked us at 80kph .......... :( era if a fine comes its a case of lesson learnt to ignore such assholes , however even the left lane was going faster than us.

Unless there was a speed camera accompanying him i wouldnt expect anything to come of it. A garda would have to pull you over to give you points if he didnt have a speed camera that took a picture of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Saw the white gattso van pulling in there this morning. Just east of the Sarsfield Roundabout trying to catch the traffic travelling east. Looks like they serious about monitoring the temp speed limit there.

Its heading west they should worry about more with that horrible double bend in the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

neddynasty wrote: »
    Saw the white gattso van pulling in there this morning. Just east of the Sarsfield Roundabout trying to catch the traffic travelling east. Looks like they serious about monitoring the temp speed limit there.
    That yoke was still there at 4.30 this evening. Everyone just flying past it, will have dozens of people caught before the end of the day. Or maybe the camera will run out of film. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Thats a very good point. Earlier round 6 this evening coming from sarsfield roundabout heading east towards kinsale road flyover there was a 08D gatso van it had the guards sign at the back of it definetly a gatso any one else see this? They sure must be throwing out tickets here you rarely see people doing the 60kph

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Only spotted it as I passed it today at lunhctime. I was doing about 80kph in the ocvertaking lane :o.

Hope I'm not caught. I also thought that temporary speed limits were unenforceable.

I wonder is the van at that loacation at the request of SIAC.

harry21 wrote: »
    Only spotted it as I passed it today at lunhctime. I was doing about 80kph in the ocvertaking lane :o.

Hope I'm not caught. I also thought that temporary speed limits were unenforceable.

I wonder is the van at that loacation at the request of SIAC.
    I did some checking, on a national route the NRA needs to approve a temporary change, so unless they have applied to and gotten that change then its not enforceable, i am guessing that there will be some people doing research on this in the next few weeks if tickets start rolling in.

Thats a very good point. Earlier round 6 this evening coming from sarsfield roundabout heading east towards kinsale road flyover there was a 08D gatso van it had the guards sign at the back of it definetly a gatso any one else see this? They sure must be throwing out tickets here you rarely see people doing the 60kph

Im fairly sure that Road Work speed limits are "cautionary speeds". ie, not legally enforceable by the road traffic act.

Rules of the road website even confirms that speed limit signs in road work areas are "cautionary speed limits".

Very interesting. It would definitely be worth challenging in court. Mind you if they have your speed they might be able to charge you with careless driving/reckless driving.

Confirmed: Local councils must change bye laws in order to implement special speed limits

Im fairly sure that Road Work speed limits are "cautionary speeds". ie, not legally enforceable by the road traffic act.

Rules of the road website even confirms that speed limit signs in road work areas are "cautionary speed limits".

Very interesting. It would definitely be worth challenging in court. Mind you if they have your speed they might be able to charge you with careless driving/reckless driving.

Confirmed: Local councils must change bye laws in order to implement special speed limits
    Local council doesnt matter on national routes , im sure the NRA must give a special order for them to be lowered temporarily during such ongoing works. the order lasts for up to a maximum of a year before needing to be reapplied for.

Did a bit of research. In order to temporarily change the speed limits for a road works zone the Council must apply for a Road Works Speed Limit order as per S10 of the Road Traffic Act 2004

Here is the Cork Co.Co one for the N25 It applies for a maximum of 12 months and expires May 2013.

S47 of the 2004 act also states:
    The following section is substituted for section 47 of the Principal Act:

“47.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding the speed limit

(a) that applies in respect of that vehicle, or

(b) that applies to the road on which the vehicle is being driven where that speed limit is lower than that applying to that vehicle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(3) In this section “speed limit” means a limit which is—

(a) an ordinary speed limit,

(b) the built-up area speed limit,

(c) the regional and local roads speed limit,

(d) the national roads speed limit,

(e) the motorway speed limit,

(f) a special speed limit, or

(g) a road works speed limit.”.

Looks like the 60kph limits are perfectly enforceable and you WILL get penalty points if you break them.

Heres the backup for my point specifically point 3 . http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0010.html

If you do get ticketed , check to see if the NRA has given consent for the speed limit change. if it hasnt then they arent abiding by the road traffic act ..............

Basically says the county/city manager must have the prior written consent of the NRA for the change to official.... im not sure if this was applied for or not, but if tickets are issued it is worth checking in my opinion.

Heres the backup for my point specifically point 3 . http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0010.html

If you do get ticketed , check to see if the NRA has given consent for the speed limit change. if it hasnt then they arent abiding by the road traffic act ..............

Basically says the county/city manager must have the prior written consent of the NRA for the change to official.... im not sure if this was applied for or not, but if tickets are issued it is worth checking in my opinion.

Id be fairly sure that Cork CoCo have the NRA consent to change the limits.

I am going to give uploading photos a try.

Sorry if it comes out clumsily or you think there are too many photos. I will group them by location.

First, a map. I copied this from Open Street Maps to give viewers an idea of where the photos are taken from.

East/West in photo titles refers to the direction I was pointing my camera.

8046228770_5372cdafbc_b.jpg

• Advertisement

8046224635_34ef611b34_b.jpg

8046230876_4abb20ff43_b.jpg

8046224477_d7ac2763fa_b.jpg

These are at Point A on map

8046224417_7be105139b_b.jpg

8046224369_84f8535968_b.jpg

8046224279_3ac41a4c5e_b.jpg

8046230504_ed5ee79b82_b.jpg

8046230428_d6878ac1b4_b.jpg

8046224017_9905af4868_b.jpg

8046230076_d7e98d1ac9_b.jpg

8046223967_0a8ef34b73_b.jpg

8046223741_bb5dd3437d_b.jpg

8046230210_39a80e9a55_b.jpg

8046223897_99e27fbf9e_b.jpg

8046223461_ba4725f88b_b.jpg

8046229962_b7c1d423ac_b.jpg

8046230018_8d613aacc0_b.jpg

8046229704_dd12967fd1_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Excellent set of photos. I get to see most of these every day. The shots from the Waterfall Road flyover I haven't seen before and are most welcome.

Excellent set of photos. I get to see most of these every day. The shots from the Waterfall Road flyover I haven't seen before and are most welcome.

Thank you kindly. I labelled my photos East and West but Flickr renamed things so the direction did not stay when I uploaded.

If anyone has any questions about the photos, please ask.

8046223415_03b8fe8e8a_b.jpg

8046223187_ee73630ea9_b.jpg

8046229480_f35a3e2cdc_b.jpg

8046229400_db9eeef6da_b.jpg

8046229326_655663a8bb_b.jpg

8047003326_079ceb7693_b.jpg

8046997295_967a8cc1d2_b.jpg

Point E on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Did a bit of research. In order to temporarily change the speed limits for a road works zone the Council must apply for a Road Works Speed Limit order as per S10 of the Road Traffic Act 2004

Here is the Cork Co.Co one for the N25 It applies for a maximum of 12 months and expires May 2013.

S47 of the 2004 act also states:

Looks like the 60kph limits are perfectly enforceable and you WILL get penalty points if you break them.

Worth noting that the South Ring Road part of the N25 was redesignated the N40 on 23th February 2012, approximately 3 months before the road works speed limit order was made for the "N25 South Ring Road" which was no longer in existence! I wouldn't be surprised if penalty points were successfully overturned because of this technicality.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0053.html

• Advertisement

Worth noting that the South Ring Road part of the N25 was redesignated the N40 on 23th February 2012, approximately 3 months before the road works speed limit order was made for the "N25 South Ring Road" which was no longer in existence! I wouldn't be surprised if penalty points were successfully overturned because of this technicality.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0053.html

EXCELLENT point. Totally forgot about the renaming.

Advertisement