Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

I may have mentioned somewhere that these were taken at Pouladuff Rd but that is not so. On closer look at the map it is clear that the road is Togher Rd.

The first two shots are aimed at Sarsfield Rd RAB. The last two are pointing at Kinsale Rd RAB. The exit which can be seen is for the Tramore Rd and Forge Hill direction.

8046228860_824c83baa1_b.jpg

8046228928_61cbc4c0df_b.jpg

8046222711_7d61ed7fe7_b.jpg

8046222637_db678febaa_b.jpg

I took 6 more photos, but not of the construction at Sarsfield and Bandon RABs.

They were taken near Mahon Point, where a footbridge goes over the N40 at a spot where there are 7 lanes underneath.

Where should I post these, now that I have got the hang of uploading photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Very good pictures, E-E. I would post the extra pictures in this thread, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Nice photos Eurasia! Anyone know if the road is going to be elevated from Sarsfield road to Bandon road or is it just the roundabout flyovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

starch4ser wrote: »
    Nice photos Eurasia! Anyone know if the road is going to be elevated from Sarsfield road to Bandon road or is it just the roundabout flyovers?

Nope. It will come back down to ground level inbetween the two roundabouts to allow merging from the two feeder roads running along the outside of the mainline.

• Advertisement

8048505368_6eb02b0735_b.jpg
    Mahon Map by maz5046, on Flickr

My other photos were listed at points A-F. Here is the G-spot in Mahon.

8048505924_8029ec5ca0_b.jpg

8048500221_dd30dbdd5f_b.jpg

8048505746_a58f63570d_b.jpg

8048505664_4b08a74957_b.jpg

8048505560_219ff7cf1d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chuck_g

Worth noting that the South Ring Road part of the N25 was redesignated the N40 on 23th February 2012, approximately 3 months before the road works speed limit order was made for the "N25 South Ring Road" which was no longer in existence! I wouldn't be surprised if penalty points were successfully overturned because of this technicality.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0053.html

How viable is this? Long story short i pretty much always stick to normal everyday speed limits. I drive an old carina and anything over 100km feels like the titanic's maiden voyage. BUT, during the week, while driving a customers van i was doing 80km heading toward Togher and boom, there he is. Now in my defense
    there was one 60km sign, not massively visable (i went around for a look) and others were moving on too and there seems to be no "speed checks in operation" sign as usual at roadworks.

So my question is, if i get the fine can it be contested on the above or any other legislation? As a young man i was quite prone to a few points, id hate to start building them up again. Thanks in advance.

Ps the road itself will be a masterpiece. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Hogzy wrote: »
    Did a bit of research. In order to temporarily change the speed limits for a road works zone the Council must apply for a Road Works Speed Limit order as per S10 of the Road Traffic Act 2004

Here is the Cork Co.Co one for the N25 It applies for a maximum of 12 months and expires May 2013.

S47 of the 2004 act also states:

Looks like the 60kph limits are perfectly enforceable and you WILL get penalty points if you break them.

When you mentioned Cork Co Co above are you reffering to Cork County Council or Cork City Council.
    These works are happening in both authorities areas, but i have a feeling that the speed detection van was in the City area.....so whats the story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

kub wrote: »
    When you mentioned Cork Co Co above are you reffering to Cork County Council or Cork City Council.
    These works are happening in both authorities areas, but i have a feeling that the speed detection van was in the City area.....so whats the story with them?

Cork County Council.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not too sure I'm impressed guys, not sure I generally approve of the "Your speed limits/checks are unenforceable, I've the right to drive my car how I like" attitude. No one has the right to drive with excessive speed. Through road works, lanes may be diverted by cones, may be narrower than usual, and staff or vehicles may need to cross in front of traffic suddenly. You shouldn't need to be forced to drive prudently through areas like this, you should be doing it anyway.
    Sayin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not too sure I'm impressed guys, not sure I generally approve of the "Your speed limits/checks are unenforceable, I've the right to drive my car how I like" attitude. No one has the right to drive with excessive speed. Through road works, lanes may be diverted by cones, may be narrower than usual, and staff or vehicles may need to cross in front of traffic suddenly. You shouldn't need to be forced to drive prudently through areas like this, you should be doing it anyway.
    Sayin.

I dont think you will find anything in our posts that disagree with what you are saying. In fact i mentioned that breaking the recommended speed limits would be negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Progress Update 43:
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    Friday 5th October 2012

Motorists are reminded that resurfacing works will be carried out on the Cork South Ring Road between the Kinsale Road Interchanges and Sarsfield Road Roundabout throughout Saturday 6th October 2012.

Westbound traffic will be reduced to one lane throughout the day. Significant delays are anticipated and motorists are advised to take an alternative route where possible.

As always, if there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses please register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

I have to ask. Are they installing a mediam barrier between the Pouladuff Interchange and the Sarsfield roundabout and get rid of the middle strip to make room for extra lanes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

I left Cork in August. I love this thread. Reminds me of where I spent many a happy year. I also watched the construction with interest for much of late '11 / '12.

More pics please of the Sarsfield flyover and how it's shaping up.
    When I come back to Ireland for a holiday next summer, this project is likely to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

I have to ask. Are they installing a mediam barrier between the Pouladuff Interchange and the Sarsfield roundabout and get rid of the middle strip to make room for extra lanes ?

I have noticed that as well, i suppose it serves two purposes. Firstly a concrete median is a bit more effective than some tall shrubs and a kerb and secondly certainly take up a lot less space, therefore more space for vehicles.

Progress Update 44:
    Progress Update
    Wednesday 10th October 2012

The final surfacing was installed on the westbound lanes on the approach to Sarsfield Road Roundabout as planned on Saturday 6th October 2012. Night time works will continue for the remaining nights of this week mainly focused on preparatory works for the final surfacing layers on the eastbound lanes to the east of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Lane restrictions will not be in place in this area over the coming weekend as it is not now intended to progress this element of the works at that time.

No significant daytime lane restrictions are planned for the immediate future. Details of works planned for the remainder of 2012 as set out in recent updates will be issued in advance as the relevant dates are reconfirmed.

As always, if there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses please register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Some serious flooding between sarsfields rd roundabout and elmvale estate this morning. I hope they install a suitable drainage system there before they finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Prowetod wrote: »
    Some serious flooding between sarsfields rd roundabout and elmvale estate this morning. I hope they install a suitable drainage system there before they finish.
    I would imagine at this stage the main drains are laid and will be connected onto in time, i think the plan is to raise the level of the road, form the entrance to elmvale onwards.

it was a disaster this morning cars, nor pedestrians could pass.
    It was also worth to note that the water level in the stream next to the ESB has been very high since they started the works, this morning the water was very high and was almost stagnant no movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Prowetod wrote: »
    I would imagine at this stage the main drains are laid and will be connected onto in time, i think the plan is to raise the level of the road, form the entrance to elmvale onwards.

it was a disaster this morning cars, nor pedestrians could pass.
    It was also worth to note that the water level in the stream next to the ESB has been very high since they started the works, this morning the water was very high and was almost stagnant no movement.
    Odd, that stream goes right by my house and it was roaming along (downstream), I wonder have they blocked it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

TheChizler wrote: »
    Odd, that stream goes right by my house and it was roaming along (downstream), I wonder have they blocked it somewhere.
    Have a look at the end , near the roundabout , its constantly far higher than it ever was before and the water seems almost stagnant down by the same spot.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the end , near the roundabout , its constantly far higher than it ever was before and the water seems almost stagnant down by the same spot.

Weird. I must have a look outside and see what it's up to.

Made the mistake of taking the Sarsfield Roundabout from the East at 10 last night, down to 1 lane and a 20 minute jam.

Progress Update 45:
    Progress Update
    Friday 19th October 2012

A significant milestone was reached on the Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Scheme this week with construction getting underway on the first noise barrier on the scheme. The works currently ongoing at the St. Finbarr’s boundary wall will facilitate installation of a 1.5 metre high timber barrier at this location over the coming period. The noise barriers to be installed on the Bandon Road Flyover are currently being manufactured and it is hoped that erection of the Bandon Road Flyover noise barrier will follow on from completion of the St. Finbarr’s noise barrier.

Public lighting cabling works are also well advanced on the new westbound lanes adjoining the Dunnes Stores shopping centre. The lighting standards themselves are scheduled to be erected in this area over the next few weeks.

From a structures point of view, the two bridge structures at the Bandon Road Roundabout are substantially complete. There will be a single structure at the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout – this structure will have three support abutments and the reinforcing steel is already in place for the western abutment. Works on this abutment will become increasingly visible to passing motorists over the next few weeks. Precast piles are currently being driven to support what will become the middle abutment for the structure and these
    works will continue over the coming period.

As set out in previous updates there will be a continued focus on completion of the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout and completion of a new section of the Sarsfield Road, immediately south of the new roundabout over the coming weeks. Completion of these items should ensure that the Sarsfield Road will
    generally remain passable to pedestrian and vehicular traffic in contrast to the situation at present where the road becomes impassable following heavy rain fall. While recent weather conditions have had a negative impact on progress in relation to these items, it is still hoped that these elements of the scheme will be in place before the end of 2012.

No significant lane restrictions or localised closures are anticipated over the coming week or so. However, it is still intended to carry out significant surfacing works over a number of the upcoming weekends. Details under this heading will be issued once plans have been finalised.

They've started with the steel works for the pilars that will hold the bridge section on the western side of the Sarsfield Roundabout. First bit of that flyover that's visible. Sorry for the poor description and pic! Best I can do to dsecribe it and it was still a bit dark taking the photo with a terrible camera phone.

neddynasty wrote: »
    They've started with the steel works for the pilars that will hold the bridge section on the western side of the Sarsfield Roundabout. First bit of that flyover that's visible. Sorry for the poor description and pic! Best I can do to dsecribe it and it was still a bit dark taking the photo with a terrible camera phone.
    That's all done in the last 12 hours so, I'm actually impressed by this contractor!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Things gone very quiet on this recently. Still a few machine working away, but a lot of them are just sitting idle at the moment.

Work on the Sars flyover part seems to be non existant. Is there some drainage issue or something ?

The build is incredibly lobsided with the Bandon Roundabout not far away from being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Progress Update 47:
    Progress Update
    8th November 2012

Works are progressing well on the construction of the new Sarsfield Road Flyover Bridge. The bridge will be a two span structure and the works are currently focused on the western side – the attached photograph shows reinforcing steel for the support columns being lifted into place. The 8 support columns on the western side should all be cast before the end of November 2012.

It is still hoped to open the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout circulating carriageway before the end of this year. Over the next few weeks roadworks will be focused in the general Sarsfield Road Roundabout and Sarsfield Road south area with the aim of completing all ground level works in early December 2012. Completion of these ground level works will allow the works to commence on the eastern support of the Sarsfield Road Bridge structure and it is hoped that the piling works on the eastern side of the bridge will also be completed before the end of 2012.

Night time works will continue in to the early weeks of December 2012 but it is not anticipated that these works will cause any significant traffic disruption. Weekend works are also planned for the weekend of Saturday 24th November, 2012 and Saturday 8th December, 2012 and details of traffic management
    arrangements associated with these weekends will be circulated in advance of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

If it's not here already...

• Advertisement

Picture taken this morning attached. Not the best pic but as good as I'll get in traffic. It's showing construction of the pillars on the western side of the Sarsfield Roundabout.

Advertisement