Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Picture of the beams currently stored on site:-

2013-03-24122600_zps203dcc5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Sorry I have no doubt this has been answered before, but when is the whole scheme due to be finished? And realistically when will it actually be finished?

I commute from Ballyphehane to Curraheen for work so I cannot wait for the project to be finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Originally scheduled for completion in Q3 (July I think). At the moment though I can't see the Sarsfield road over bridge being ready for traffic until October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

bg07 wrote: »
    Originally scheduled for completion in Q3 (July I think). At the moment though I can't see the Sarsfield road over bridge being ready for traffic until October/November.
    Its hard to know though isnt it ? when the beams do finally go in and if the weather stays dryish there could be a mighty push on.

Their updates havent given much detail recently they seem to only comment on whats happening in the week ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

bg07 wrote: »

I think they'll make it on time. The earth box ramp on the western side of the flyover is well on it's way. They've started on the eastern side ramp too and are progressing it quickly. Throw on the beams, bit of tarmac and you have a functioning flyover!!

They were putting up crash barriers this morning just after the eastern ramp of the Bandon Flyover. That'll have that flyover complete in another 4 weeks i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Its hard to know though isnt it ? when the beams do finally go in and if the weather stays dryish there could be a mighty push on.

Their updates havent given much detail recently they seem to only comment on whats happening in the week ahead .
    Maybe they won't be done by July but I can't see it taking till November. Almost all the major groundworks at sarsfield road are pretty much done apart from the ramp on the eastern side, which is flying up. The bandon road roundabout flyover is essentially done apart from lighting etc. I'd agree once the beams go up they'll be able to concentrate totally on finishing the sarsfield flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

snap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Am I correct in saying there won't be a big support mound in the middle of the Sarfields Rd Roundabout as is the case in the Bandon Rd Roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Prowetod wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying there won't be a big support mound in the middle of the Sarfields Rd Roundabout as is the case in the Bandon Rd Roundabout?

Yep that is correct. Just the pillars that are there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JM4

Just witnessed delivery of two more beams to site on the western side of the Bandon Road flyover. Must say great credit due to the skills of the workers involved, the truck drivers, the crane drivers and the ground staff. They made the delivery look so simple. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

neddynasty wrote: »
    Yep that is correct. Just the pillars that are there at the moment.
    Interesting I suppose the diameter of the Sars roundabout is smaller than the Bandon Road Roundabout hence the room for pillars and not a big support mound in the middle like the Kinsale and Bandon Road flyovers. Be interesting to see though the single pillars in the Sars Roundabout (centre section) take the weight of 16 beams end to end on each of the 8 pilliars I hope there wont be subsidence issues:eek: down the line and that concrete piling will stand up to the job in the foundations of them 8 pillars in the centre section.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

As I understand it, the decision to not use an earth box in the centre of sarsfield roundabout was to do with minimising visual impact. I think the EIS had something to say on it, but i'll leave it to someone else to find the quote!

http://www.corkrdo.ie/n25_sarsfield_road_bandon_road_interchanges_publications.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I saw two of these last Friday on my way up to Dublin. Two massive lorries with massive beams on the back of them going southbound between Cashel and New Inn on the M8. I wondered what else they could POSSIBLY be for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Extract From http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cameras-designed-to-beef-up-safety-of-motorists-in-tunnel-227308.html

Meanwhile, surfacing works will continue on the eastbound lanes between Sarsfield Rd Roundabout and Pouladuff overbridge over the coming nights.

The final surfacing layer in this area will then be laid during daylight hours on the mornings of next Saturday and Sunday.

In order to facilitate the works, eastbound traffic will be restricted to one lane on both days from approximately 6am.

It is expected that all traffic lanes will be reopened by early afternoon on both days.

The works in this area are being carried out over the weekend in order to minimise disruption to traffic.

Nevertheless, even with weekend traffic volumes delays should be anticipated in this area on both Saturday and Sunday morning and motorists are strongly advised to take an alternative route where ever possible.

Nighttime works on the scheme will also continue throughout next week, with the placing of the bridge beams at the Sarsfield Rd flyover scheduled to get under way at 8pm next Monday.

The works are being carried out at night to minimise traffic disruption and localised diversions will be in place in the Sarsfield Rd Roundabout area from approximately 8pm on each day next week.

Following on from completion of the bridge beam works, the focus will switch to construction of the approach ramps to the new flyover.

It is still hoped to open both flyovers to traffic by this coming July.

Anyone else going for a gawk at the installation of the beams on Monday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

alanucc wrote: »

Hopefully they'll have a time-lapse of it like when they demolished the footbridge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erYm0kAbKpI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

alanucc wrote: »

no beams up yet, mind you I wouldn't have put a duck out in that weather last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

This morning's Update 71:
    Unfortunately the high winds meant that beam placement works could not get underway as planned on the night of Monday 8th April 2013. However, subject to weather conditions the intention is to get the beam placement works underway overnight tonight and it is still hoped to complete this element of the works before the end of the week. Lane restrictions and localised diversions will therefore be in place in the Sarsfield Road Roundabout area from approximately 8.00 p.m. each night for the remaining nights of this week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was down staying with a friend in West Cork the past few days and saw the work on these junctions. It is at a very advanced stage. The beams for the Sarsfield Road junction bridge were there on site and ready for lifting.

If they get their finger out I'd say it could be ready by the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Anybody notice the section of crash barrier on southside of the westbound lane that has sunk. They have a crew fixing it all weekend from the headlands side and they were there this morning too.

Also on the south side of the Sarsfield Road roundabout, on the approach lane from sarsfield road the kerbing has sunk and pulled back from the road by at least 6 inches.

Worrying indicators of the future!!

I also contend that at least a portion of retaining wall for the the Bandon Road flyover is not true (leaning outwards!!). I have to get out my level!!:D

• Advertisement

Couple of shots of the lift of the third beam taken tonight. It was quite a spectacle!

248735.jpg

Two beams had gone in by 21:30. The setup is that there are two mobile cranes working in tandem to carry out the lifts. The bigger one is sitting in the centre of the roundabout. The smaller one is sitting on top of the approach ramp.

248736.jpg

Third beam arriving from temporary storage near the Bandon road roundabout

248737.jpg

Ready to lift

248738.jpg

Lift off

248739.jpg

Couple more:

248741.jpg

248742.jpg

248743.jpg

248744.jpg

248745.jpg

And one for the road!

248746.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

harry21 wrote: »

I also contend that at least a portion of retaining wall for the the Bandon Road flyover is not true (leaning outwards!!). I have to get out my level!!:D

the bit heading west opposite dunnes? I've had an uneasy feeling about that part every time I pass it, it just doesn't look right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nice pics.

Was looking at them in place earlier when passing through the Sarsfield Roundabout and they don't actually look that big now that they have been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

harry21 wrote: »
    Anybody notice the section of crash barrier on southside of the westbound lane that has sunk. They have a crew fixing it all weekend from the headlands side and they were there this morning too.

Also on the south side of the Sarsfield Road roundabout, on the approach lane from sarsfield road the kerbing has sunk and pulled back from the road by at least 6 inches.

Worrying indicators of the future!!

Any chance for pictures of those problems?

Roar wrote: »
    the bit heading west opposite dunnes? I've had an uneasy feeling about that part every time I pass it, it just doesn't look right!

yes!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It looks kind of off heading east opposite Dunnes also, so maybe it is part of the design.

In SIAC we trust!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fire them off an email asking them. Sure they should have nothing to hide.

Advertisement