Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Hi, long time reader of this topic, very interesting stuff. Out of interest, have the timing for the lights outside Dunnes at the Bandon roundabout been changed recently, as in if you are coming from the Sarsfield roundabout and you want to go to Bandon the lights are nearly always red and stay red for at least a minute? It's ideal if you are coming out of Dunnes but there is always a backlog at those lights now on both sides on the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Any new updates on this project.

From a purely observational point of view, big progress has been made on both the ramps for the Sarsfield's flyover as well as the section between both flyovers.

From what I can tell, the only part remaining to be resurfaced is the outside section running from Bandon to Sarsfield roundabout. Centre section now seems finished.

Not too sure July is achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They seem to of stopped publishing the updates.

End of july would still be achievable if they could get the ramps finished to the sarsfield roundabout flyover.

Those ramps still have to come up an awful lot height wise, and to be honest i cycle past every day, and its very, very slow progress at the moment getting these brought up to the correct height. Im not sure what the holdup is.

The bandon road flyover looks almost complete, with the lighting etc installed in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

I've driven past a few times over the past few weeks and there seems to be no action at the moment - and there are no email updates from CCC. Anyone have any idea whether work has stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

I've driven past a few times over the past few weeks and there seems to be no action at the moment - and there are no email updates from CCC. Anyone have any idea whether work has stopped?

I am not sure what time you pass it by at, but on average I pass it 4 times a day. Let me assure you work is still ongoing, granted alot of the bigger machinery is now no longer needed, but they are still at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

I would love to see some pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

As someone who uses the interchanges over one weekend per month on average, I can assure you that there's been plenty of progress in the last month.

Would love to stop and get pictures but there's few good vantage points now that the overbridge at sarsfield's rd is gone. What I did notice in passing is:
    1. It shouldn't be long before Sarsfields rd RAB -> Bandon rd RAB is running entirely on the new off-line link road, allowing the mainline works to be completed between the junctions.
    2. Backfilling of the ramp West of the Sarsfields rd flyover looks to be completed, but the east ramp isn't quite ready for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

MrDerp wrote: »
    As someone who uses the interchanges over one weekend per month on average, I can assure you that there's been plenty of progress in the last month.

Would love to stop and get pictures but there's few good vantage points now that the overbridge at sarsfield's rd is gone. What I did notice in passing is:
    1. It shouldn't be long before Sarsfields rd RAB -> Bandon rd RAB is running entirely on the new off-line link road, allowing the mainline works to be completed between the junctions.
    2. Backfilling of the ramp West of the Sarsfields rd flyover looks to be completed, but the east ramp isn't quite ready for it yet.

Is the end of July date still feasible in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Is the end of July date still feasible in your opinion?

That date is kinda creeping up fast now. The end of July is only 9 weeks away, and it could pi$$ for 3-4 of those easily. I'm certainly not any kind of expert in road building though, so it could well fly along in the next few weeks and look much more like the finished article come the end of June.

• Advertisement

Virtually all the work at Bandon end is done. Surfacing and all.

In the middle section, the stretch running outside the mainline between Bandon and Sarsfield needs to be done. You're talking about 80 - 85% of the work having been completed. Gantries and cantilevers must also be fully finished off.

Sarsfield side is where the majority of the work needs to take place. Both ramps have yet to be completed along with associated ground works.

IMO, this won't be finished by July.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

I would have to agree.

As someone who passes by this a couple of times a week the progress is slowed in recent months..

I would think the July of July is a realistic date. That being said i have been surprised by some of the progress made by the lads in the past.

It has been a really well run project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

I would have to agree.

As someone who passes by this a couple of times a week the progress is slowed in recent months..

I would think the July of July is a realistic date. That being said i have been surprised by some of the progress made by the lads in the past.

It has been a really well run project.

Not a chance it will be completed by then. I'd say it will be a least the November of July by the time we'll be driving on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I think end of July/first week in August it'll be open and functional. There'll be then a further 3-4 weeks of general tidying up and finishing off the small things like fences and mabye the odd kerb here and there etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I pass it twice every day, it looks like progress has slowed, but what they are doing just does not appear as dramatic as previous work. I would say if it was going to be delayed by any great lenght of time there would have been an announcement by now.

Took a look again earlier tonight.

The ramp for the Western side of the Sarsfield flyover is now complete. The other ramp is 70 to 80% complete. Large scale construction will soon be over.

A couple of weeks old but a good picture all the same

Aerial-Post-installation-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Great picture

Thanks,

I took it from my private jet. ;) The bridge span actually looks the size of a soccer pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Really gives you an idea of the scale of a project like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

That's a great picture! Did you photoshop in the sunny weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

Good pic from the SIAC website, showing an aerial of the whole scheme to date, although someone's been playing about with the 'stretch' function.

Progression of Bandon Road section relative to Sarsfield nicely apparent.

20130508094321projectpagephoto.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Progress Update 73

Westward section between Bandon and Sarsfield Roundabout was closed last night from about 11PM onwards.

Any idea the reason why ? Are they finally starting to realign and resurface the westward connector road ?

Numerous cantilevers are after being put in place over the last few days. Largest cantilevers I think I've seen on Irish roads tbf.

Virtually all of the noise reduction panelling has been put on the Sarsfield flyover. The only panelling not done is to allow access for placement of street lights on the flyover itself. Structurally, the Sarsfield flyover now looks virtually complete.

The progress made at the Sarsfield end has astounded me considering the Bandon end seemed to take much longer (although the Bandon roundabout has a raised centre section)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Does anyone know, will the speed limit on the new N40, when this work is complete be increased to 120kph?

I just have my doubts considering the twists on the new section.

Junctions on the N40 are too close together to allow a 120kph limit. As seen with the M50, I don't think the NRA want any urban motorways to have a 120kph speed limit either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

120 is never needed on urban motorways, journeys are too short. 120 is a cruising speed for when you're travelling long distances through rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

Numerous cantilevers are after being put in place over the last few days. Largest cantilevers I think I've seen on Irish roads tbf.

Virtually all of the noise reduction panelling has been put on the Sarsfield flyover. The only panelling not done is to allow access for placement of street lights on the flyover itself. Structurally, the Sarsfield flyover now looks virtually complete.

The progress made at the Sarsfield end has astounded me considering the Bandon end seemed to take much longer (although the Bandon roundabout has a raised centre section)

Just passed by today. In terms of gantries, from what I can see, additional cantilevers have been placed on the eastbound carriageway just as you leave the Bandon Road junction, and two to the west of the Sarsfield, as you mentioned AM.

Glad to see a gantry is being placed ahead of the Pouladuff exit (eastbound). Always thought the one for the Kinsale Road was confusingly close to this exit, and probably resulted in numerous wrong turns, for those that weren't in the know. Hopefully this will clear it up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

Spoke to lead engineer about this last week - he said they are expecting completion by mid-July.

There had been rumours that serious subsidence at Sarsfield would cause a major delay - this isn't the case apparently despite very difficult ground conditions due to heavy rain.

Advertisement